2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

13 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

@Gourmand i don't know what you ended up with, but i feel like i nailed this.  my rangers 1st 5 already cashed.

Montgomery and Glasnow 8.5 K (more)

Diaz 1.5 bases (more)

Arozarena+Semien 3.0 total hits runs RBI combined (more)

Garcia+Kepler+Seager 0.5 HRs (less)

Gausman hits allowed 4.5 (less)

11 hours ago, uoftorange said:

Sincere question:  Didn't the Rangers ALSO win the division?  I mean it's a tie.  So I'm assuming they are raising a banner for it next year, right?

And I don't really care how anyone chooses to celebrate.  Hope they had a great time.  Glad they lost the next day.  

The Cardinals did this in 2001. It was lame then and it is lame now. 

http://www.astroscounty.com/2015/04/2001-co-champions.html

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, texasdago said:

It's like putting a "championship" on your stadium

Screenshot_20231003-223526.png

FUPM

Edited by UTexasFight
Wait. How the hell did Nebraska end up winning the north that year? I was in Lincoln to see that shitty Gilbert-led UT team beat an even shittier Adrian Martinez-led Nebraska team. I guess the rest of the north was just even shittier

Frontline released their Astros cheating scandal video tonight. Ben Reiter does the interviews and narration. Lots of people go on record for it including Jeff Lunhow. There is a lot of background info on the beginning, history of the team, and a surprising amount of time dedicated to the Osuna stuff.

It really doesn't pick up for a while, maybe about 40 minutes in it starts getting into the details. It does talk about other teams doing similar stuff, but not much detail. Not much new info in here either. Here's the fan breakdown of bangs by hitter in 2017, it was shown for a split second in the video. Altuve really didn't use it, yet he gets the most boos for it. 

15 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Don't jinx us having flashbacks to the 2022 ALDS and the 18 inning game vs Seattle.

We are just such a generous organization that we gave those poor playoff starved Mariners fans 2 games for the price of 1 is the way I look at it. Then they had the gall to get butthurt over the sweep graphic when it was all over...

4 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

We are just such a generous organization that we gave those poor playoff starved Mariners fans 2 games for the price of 1 is the way I look at it. Then they had the gall to get butthurt over the sweep graphic when it was all over...

Oh it was amazing ripping their heads off and shitting down their necks don't get me wrong just we don't have the pitching depth this year to handle an 18 inning game IMHO

9 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

We are just such a generous organization that we gave those poor playoff starved Mariners fans 2 games for the price of 1 is the way I look at it

Just doing them a favor since they get none this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The Astros video guy from the Frontline Doc is doing an AMA right now on Reddit. A few things I surmised from his answers:

• The scheme stopped with the game against the White Sox with Fahrquar pitching in the regular season of 2017. (Game 152 during the 8th inning, Astros lost 3-1)
  • No use of video cams for signs during away games
  • No use during the 2017 playoffs and beyond
  • Carlos Beltran was the initiator of the scheme and guys like Cora ran with it. (Beltran, of course, was with the Rangers in 2016...)
  • They did use a runner on 2nd to relay signs and use Code Breaker on them, but lots of teams do that
  • "There was definitely a mentality that other teams were doing things and we had to keep up."
  • "Yes, there was a paranoia about [other] teams doing specific things that we would hear about through the rumor mill. Shout out to Brian McCann for always having our pitching staff prepared to change signs after every few pitches or when the other dugout phone rang. He also implemented multiple signs without any runners on in certain stadiums."
  • The scheme was likely ineffective, and players seemed to do better at away games because they were relying on their own instincts. The benefit may not have actually had the benefits that many believe it did. (speculation)
  • No knowledge of buzzers or watches being used as a signal
  • He does not believe that there was any incentive or inclination of players to vote for him or anyone else to have a full playoff share of the revenue based on their involvement. Many people in the org get those bonuses and their jobs vary greatly.  (the doc seemed to suggest that was the reason he got a huge playoff bonus)
  • When asked if the scandal still gets out like it did if the Taubman incident didn't occur he says, "I think the story still gets out because I believe Mike Fiers thought we were still using the scheme in 2019. Two of his worst starts in 2019 were against us [Astros] at home [Minute Maid], and he likely thought we were relaying signs because his starts against us were so bad. He sees his ERA blow up after those starts and decides that he needs to speak to the media about it."
  • Maldy is a great guy, standup dude and excellent clubhouse leader. He should be a coach or manager someday 

Edited by Dutchrudder
  • Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

• When asked if the scandal still gets out like it did if the Taubman incident didn't occur he says, "I think the story still gets out because I believe Mike Fiers thought we were still using the scheme in 2019. Two of his worst starts in 2019 were against us [Astros] at home [Minute Maid], and he likely thought we were relaying signs because his starts against us were so bad. He sees his ERA blow up after those starts and decides that he needs to speak to the media about it."

Pretty much already knew this but this might be new leader in the club house for my all time MLB "what if" scenario: What if that rat fuck Fiers was just a little bit better in 2019 and didn't get totally blown out in those two starts at Minute Maid...does he move on with what was left of his career (not much) and this whole thing maybe never gets out? Or maybe it gets out way later when he is looking for some cash and a book deal or something and it doesn't blow up nearly as much (no huge investigation)?

36 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yesss roll right into the Astros game after the OU game. 

Homer Drool GIF

Yeah it is actually what I want. 2005 was perfect with whipping the Sooner ass then whipping Atlanta ass right after.

We should get the Sunday night slot over Bmore/Tejas but either way not too worried.

• Like 1

I feel like we got ripped off last year with the RRS on 10/8 then not playing Seattle until 10/11.

The only other time an RRS win was coupled with an Astros playoff win was 2018 when we beat Cleveland in Game 2 unfortunately that day I was moving from DC to Denver so I didn't really get to enjoy it to the fullest other than vicariously through texts...