2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

The Hall gets ultimate say, but they take in to consideration what the player wants.

Seems like the player mostly gets to choose unless it's something ridiculous like Wade Boggs wanting to be a Devil Ray

4 minutes ago, WBT said:

Seems like the player mostly gets to choose unless it's something ridiculous like Wade Boggs wanting to be a Devil Ray

Right

He’s the reason they changed it.

Previously, while the Hall had final decision, they always deferred to the player.

after Boggs, the Hall took over deciding with the player’s preference being one input

When we booked our vacation last year, my wife said, “you’ll miss the playoffs.”   I told her, “just through the ALDS, so the Astros will still be playing when we get home.” Flight back from London was delayed last night, so we got a bonus vacation night in Chicago.  Not making it home until this afternoon, but sure enough, the Astros are still playing ball.  

Maybe it was foolhardy or hubris, but damn it feels good to be a gangsta.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

I used to really like that but in a really dumb, team chaos loving to watch weird shit happen sort of way

I mean the best was his dumbass justification after we had that tie ASG in Milwaukee of all places when the fans got mad.  That MFer was a true bozoron not sure how he ever accumulated $$ to own a team even though he bought the then bankrupt Seattle Pilots still $10.8 million in 1970 was a lot of grip because inflation hadn't really set as Nixon was just about to close the gold window and fuck this country over.

7 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

I mean the best was his dumbass justification after we had that tie ASG in Milwaukee of all places when the fans got mad.  That MFer was a true bozoron not sure how he ever accumulated $$ to own a team even though he bought the then bankrupt Seattle Pilots still $10.8 million in 1970 was a lot of grip because inflation hadn't really set as Nixon was just about to close the gold window and fuck this country over.

No the best was him getting inducted in to the HOF (hear me out) with Bagwell and the Astros fans not have the loudest boos… which came instead from the Expos fans there to see Tim Raines get inducted.

this picture I took still makes me laugh every time I see it 

12DC0C3D-C7A7-4CF2-BB58-953592A0E8E7.png

19 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

That MFer was a true bozoron not sure how he ever accumulated $$ to own a team even though he bought the then bankrupt Seattle Pilots still $10.8 million in 1970 was a lot of grip because inflation hadn't really set as Nixon was just about to close the gold window and fuck this country over.

Stagflation talk not going away!

• Haha 1

Man, I get it’s a long way until Sunday but y’all need to find something else to bitch about

it’s always like this.

whichever LCS starts first, they get primetime as the sole game the first night.  Then the next day (game 1 for the other LCS), the other LCS gets primetime and the series that started first moves to the afternoon.

From there it alternates any time there are two games on the same day.

(We’d get primetime game 3 with no NLCS opposite us, primetime game 4 while NLCS game 3 is in the afternoon, then afternoon ALCS game 5, while NLCS game 4 is in the evening)

22 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The only one that really bothers me is Game 5 on Friday.  That is a prime lets have a party to watch the Astros day.

75 in Houston next Friday. Sounds like the perfect time to shut down the computer at 3:30 and head out to one of the Creeks or any patio bar to watch the game 😎

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

50 minutes ago, runthebone said:

You might consider starting your back-up catcher for that day game.

You might.

Listening to national commentary since last night, I've learned that Dusty Baker is considered one of the top two managers in baseball.

Take that, surly.

Edited by David Dennison
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I thought by the time we got to the ALCS we were done with the day game bullshit. 

Not only the overlapping days when the NLCS is going too.  Fortunately they have staggered the starts so between the travel dates and the staggered start you should have every day with a game and even if both series went the full 7 games you should only have 4 days where both are active.  They did split the day games 2 apiece between AL & NL just the AL gets the 1st & 3rd shared day where the NL gets the 2nd & 4th shared day so if for example the AL were to wrap up early and the NL push to 6 they will still get the prime slot.

7 hours ago, runthebone said:

They are killing it on offense, and as always, it will come down to our run prevention and lineup depth.  Love our team, though, even if it was frustrating this year.  Hope the extra time off helps Javier.

The Rays and especially the O’s had key members of their pitching staffs injured.  Hell, Baltimore was basically down to one real starter.

27 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

it bothers me that the phillies are allowed to wear their sick throwback jerseys in the playoffs.

can we contact the rangers and just agree that game 1 of the alcs will take place in 1981?

tequila sunrise jerseys in the playoffs

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥