2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

I'm starting to suspect we might not be very good this year.

And dons tin foil cap I've suspected that some of the rule changes in baseball targeted the Astros. Astros use the shift more than anyone else? Limit how much teams can shift. Astros young pitcher takes a long wind-up? Change the balk rules.

But mostly, we just aren't a very good team right now.

28 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

And dons tin foil cap I've suspected that some of the rule changes in baseball targeted the Astros. Astros use the shift more than anyone else? Limit how much teams can shift. Astros young pitcher takes a long wind-up? Change the balk rules.

Honestly, I’ve thought all this as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

Let's take a walk down memory lane, shall we?

On 4/25/2022 at 10:14 PM, HtownHorn said:

How many games does Dusty get? Can we bring out the tombstone story?

On 4/25/2022 at 10:15 PM, UTexasFight said:

Well…we started 7-9 last year so….

(actually 7-10 was low water mark)

On 4/25/2022 at 10:22 PM, tx 3 putt said:

start the offseason thread 

On 4/25/2022 at 10:24 PM, Chuckie Finster said:

We are not a good team.

On 4/26/2022 at 7:00 AM, Rockethorn1978 said:

Click had all off season to fix holes. And you think he will fix them by the trade deadline? I don’t have high hopes.

On 4/26/2022 at 9:03 AM, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah- I hated/mocked every one of those deals. The consensus seemed to be- so what- it’s not that much money. But, its an opportunity cost and a roster spot. We should have been looking to upgrade somewhere like Kris Bryant as our utility knife, not Goodrum. What was the point of cheapening out at shortstop if you weren’t going to invest that money elsewhere and just going to waste the roster spot on Goodrum. 

Look- our guys didn’t forget to hit all of a sudden (Tucker and Yordan), the old guys are getting worse likely but shouldn’t be fall off a cliff bad (Yuli, Brantley), and Peña looks pretty good for a rookie and CF hasn’t been a problem and probably improves a little when Meyers gets back. 

it’s possible this is one of those seasons from hell when everything goes bad at once but it’s much more likely this is just a slump and guys don’t have things quite right after spring training being shortened. Nothing looks as bad as a baseball team in a slump. 
I don’t suggest we burn it all down until at least Memorial Day, but yeah- this sucks right now. 

It goes on and on like this.

You know how the story ends.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

How did mine make it in there.  Bitching about GOodrum and management being cheap in the offseason while saying, "it's ok- it sucks right now but we will be fine"

Wait, there's more!

On 4/26/2022 at 11:42 AM, UTPhil2006 said:

Can we leave Odo Dusty and Baez in Arlington.

On 4/26/2022 at 12:07 PM, Murfdogg21 said:

Is there still time to fire Click and bring back Luhnow? The Sox brought back Cora, Yankees about to get wacked in this Manfred letter. It should be all good now. 

On 4/26/2022 at 12:20 PM, Texas St. Armadillos said:

I got to assume this is Dusty's last year.  Is it a given that Espada is the next manager?
What's AJ's contract situation like after this year? (half joking).

On 4/26/2022 at 12:44 PM, Seasick Sailor said:

I want AJ back, and I am not joking at all. 

On 4/28/2022 at 2:46 PM, kevwun said:

I swear Bregman pops up in half of his at bats.

On 4/29/2022 at 9:41 PM, Smax said:

Neris not looking good

On 5/1/2022 at 2:58 PM, Honeysucklerose said:

Maton SUCKS

On 5/1/2022 at 2:58 PM, HtownHorn said:

Maton sucks. 

4 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I think what’s weird is that it feels like a miracle that we’re 7-9 and not something like 4-12.

Check out the schedule.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Lol

Bob Gibson scoffs at your insinuations that MLB is changing rules because of Luis Garcia 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

How did mine make it in there.  Bitching about GOodrum and management being cheap in the offseason while saying, "it's ok- it sucks right now but we will be fine"

I think that the point is - you bitch and moan, ad nauseam, about the same shit every year. Incompetent GMs, you have better ideas. Yet we end up in the LCS and/or World Series every year.

Maybe let’s give these guys the benefit of the doubt on April 16, for Christ’s sake.

• Like 2
  • Drool 1

8 hours ago, Victor Lazlo said:

I think that the point is - you bitch and moan, ad nauseam, about the same shit every year. Incompetent GMs, you have better ideas. Yet we end up in the LCS and/or World Series every year.

Maybe let’s give these guys the benefit of the doubt on April 16, for Christ’s sake.

Everything I said was true. Goodrum sucked, they didn’t spend the money and Yuli and Brantley were old, but the team was just fine and going to win a ton of games and Peña had been pretty good. Show me one thing that wasn’t accurate on there. 
And by the way- I’m not worried and still calling for us to win 100 or so games and cruise to the division title. But I can also say that not fixing the Maldy problem was stupid bc I’m capable of holding two thoughts in my head at once. 

Also- I never had one bad word to say about Luhnow. I won my furniture bet in 2014. I predicted playoffs in 2015. I predicted WS in 2016 (was off by a year). He was a genius. He is about 80% responsible for building this team. I called Crane a tightwad (look at his spending with a title contending team- he is) and dipshit that’s gone to worse and lower things a middling Gm with a middle reliever fetish and he is. 

im really happy about the Dana Brown hire. Crane is really good at the most important thing in being an owner- hiring a GM. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

Division title? This team isn't making the playoffs. Find something else to do this summer. Road trip with the sex tent.

We are fine. Again, I will reiterate from last year, let’s wait until Memorial Day before we flip out and burn shit down. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Yes everyone knows whoever is in first after the first 16 games stays in first and wins the WS. 

I remember the first year I really became aware of baseball as a season long sport and league with consequences beyond 1 game was 1984 when I was 6. 
I was amazed at the Detroit tigers who I think started out like 35-4 and seemed like they were never going to lose a game. Then they went on and pretty easily won the World Series as I recall. For a long time I thought that’s what all title worthy teams did. Just won all their games from the word go and cruised through the playoffs with the best team always winning. 

We clearly have WS hangover. There’s a reason why teams don’t repeat, the seasons are long and grueling and they just went to back to back WS. The fire isn’t there right now so let’s see if they get it together. Maybe not and it’s a down year and next season they come back and win it all? Maybe they do this year? Who knows. Baseball is a maddening yet beautiful sport. 

11 hours ago, David Dennison said:

I'll echo my sentiments from last year.  This is not a good team.  We certainly have potential to be a good team, but the product that we are putting on the field right now isn't.

20 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

We clearly have WS hangover. There’s a reason why teams don’t repeat, the seasons are long and grueling and they just went to back to back WS. The fire isn’t there right now so let’s see if they get it together. Maybe not and it’s a down year and next season they come back and win it all? Maybe they do this year? Who knows. Baseball is a maddening yet beautiful sport. 

World Series 2 years in a row, with the added bonus of a WBC thrown into this offseason.  

5 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Surly thread when hinch is the first manager fired …..

Napoleon Dynamite Want GIF

No manager turns chicken feathers into chicken shit- that’s not how it works and anyone who thinks that has it wrong. Anything he did innDetroit has nothing to do with how I’d feel about him as a manager. 
yes. Yes please on Hinch. Guys like him (they like Dusty and this is important) but he’s also not allergic to numbers and logic. 

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I remember the first year I really became aware of baseball as a season long sport and league with consequences beyond 1 game was 1984 when I was 6. 
I was amazed at the Detroit tigers who I think started out like 35-4 and seemed like they were never going to lose a game. Then they went on and pretty easily won the World Series as I recall. For a long time I thought that’s what all title worthy teams did. Just won all their games from the word go and cruised through the playoffs with the best team always winning. 

Yeah, I believe all the buzz this time a year ago was how the Angels had finally put it together and were going to bury the Astros. They went on to take the division race down to the wire, finishing a mere 33 games back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

No manager turns chicken feathers into chicken shit- that’s not how it works and anyone who thinks that has it wrong. Anything he did innDetroit has nothing to do with how I’d feel about him as a manager. 
yes. Yes please on Hinch. Guys like him (they like Dusty and this is important) but he’s also not allergic to numbers and logic. 

hinch was playing with a full deck of cards and then some 

I think Garcia is fixable. Sparky nailed it, he’s not stretching out on his pitches 

abreu is a much better hitter. Very below avg glove.

bregman has to show up sooner or later 

when brantley come back, do we send meyers down and only have one CF on the roster ?

pena is a hot mess. You can be a shitty hitter but no reason for sloppy field play. With Abreu at first, he can’t depend on him digging out your throws 

I’d like to see Tucker hit some lead off, with some protection behind him 

Edited by tx 3 putt