2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

34 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m surprised CTJ talked shit on Julks. Isn’t he from Clear Lake? I’d be super excited for a guy from district playing well for the Astros. 

I thought @closetojumpingwas from Pasadena or Deer park or some place where the working man takes pride in his copper Camaro and in living apart from the well-to-do preppies of Clear Lake.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, uoftorange said:

If someone told you before the season that Maton, Dubon and Hunter Brown were absolutely killing this season, what would you have predicted the season record to be right now?  

I expected Hunter Brown to be killing it. 
as much as I hate Maton (and I do) it’s not a lack of stuff and never has been- it’s the fact that he’s a dickfor and puts up a mid 4’s era all the time and does stupid shit line punch lockers when his brother gets a hit off him. 
I wouldn’t have believed you on Dubon. I expect those wheels to fall off the bus at any minute. 

So, today is a Whitley start, right? He last started on Wednesday so this is 6th day (5 days rest). 
Every Whitley start day minors is a sort of an excited mess. Is he going to be awesome and keep the train on the tracks or completely and totally snot the bed?  You never know. Big part of the fun. 

24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

25-30 when Altuve returns. But sure, enjoy the win. We all know that Meyers, Dubon and Julks are fully sustainable offensive performers. 

I can confidently say Meyers will be capable of sustaining or bettering his current level of play with the 210 BA or whatever it is. 
Julks needs to take his first walk of the season and Dubon needs to keep hitting the snooze alarm so he doesn’t wake up from this dream. 
but really what we need is Abreu and a Bregman to not be terrible and for Maldonado to strain a groin or something. And Garcia to not be the worst pitcher in the league. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I can confidently say Meyers will be capable of sustaining or bettering his current level of play with the 210 BA or whatever it is. 
Julks needs to take his first walk of the season and Dubon needs to keep hitting the snooze alarm so he doesn’t wake up from this dream. 
but really what we need is Abreu and a Bregman to not be terrible and for Maldonado to strain a groin or something. And Garcia to not be the worst pitcher in the league. 

To be fair, Meyers’ putrid wRC+ of 77 right now is somehow higher than what he managed last season, so I wouldn’t be *that* confident. He is consistently terrible, though, so sustainable in that sense, you’re right.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

To be fair, Meyers’ putrid wRC+ of 77 right now is somehow higher than what he managed last season, so I wouldn’t be *that* confident. He is consistently terrible, though, so sustainable in that sense, you’re right.

Yes. I meant he’s capable of continuing to suck. 

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So, today is a Whitley start, right? He last started on Wednesday so this is 6th day (5 days rest). 
Every Whitley start day minors is a sort of an excited mess. Is he going to be awesome and keep the train on the tracks or completely and totally snot the bed?  You never know. Big part of the fun. 

I thought I posted this yesterday but can’t find it now:

Whitley‘s last start was 4/12 and he isn’t scheduled to start Tue, wed, or thu.

Are they piggybacking him?

1 hour ago, huge said:

CTJ cant wait to read his first "piece"  

Mauricio Dubón’s breakout is the result of new mindset, hard work — and dominoes

Dubon is striking out way less than he has throughout his career. We should know if this is real or not in the next few weeks (he’s also walking less, but not by much). For now, his contact rates are up.

He’s not hitting the ball any harder or barreling it more frequently, though his “weak” contact is down. He’s hitting more ground balls and line drives so far. Also hitting it to opposite field more.

We’ll see if he has made real adjustments and if they continue to pay off. His .346 BABIP is likely to come down (his career rate is .278), and with a sub-4% BB rate, so will his offensive value. Still, it’s not out of the question that he has made some changes/improvements, and he could perhaps be an average-ish hitter. 

1 minute ago, Snake Diggity said:

Yes.  He has been paired with Jairo Solis who is listed as tonight’s starter.

It would really be something if Jairo Solis actually panned out considering how long he occupied a 40-man spot as a teenager and beyond. He's still young (23) and has time to develop but his walk rate is atrocious.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Don't forget Pena.  He needs to stop sucking too.

3 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

It would really be something if Jairo Solis actually panned out considering how long he occupied a 40-man spot as a teenager and beyond. He's still young (23) and has time to develop but his walk rate is atrocious.

I think Solis is on a relief track now, but he could be a good one.  His goal for this season should just be to stay healthy and put himself in a position to need Rule 5 protection in the fall.  That would put him on track to compete for a bullpen spot next spring (or more likely be trade bait).

Edited by Snake Diggity

58 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I thought I posted this yesterday but can’t find it now:

Whitley‘s last start was 4/12 and he isn’t scheduled to start Tue, wed, or thu.

Are they piggybacking him?

Yes, it’s his turn to be on the back end of the piggyback. They rotate and flip flop starts. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Dubon is striking out way less than he has throughout his career. We should know if this is real or not in the next few weeks (he’s also walking less, but not by much). For now, his contact rates are up.

He’s not hitting the ball any harder or barreling it more frequently, though his “weak” contact is down. He’s hitting more ground balls and line drives so far. Also hitting it to opposite field more.

We’ll see if he has made real adjustments and if they continue to pay off. His .346 BABIP is likely to come down (his career rate is .278), and with a sub-4% BB rate, so will his offensive value. Still, it’s not out of the question that he has made some changes/improvements, and he could perhaps be an average-ish hitter. 

As Dubon was brought here to be a handy defensive utility guy and not counted on as a serious hitter, anything approaching his current production is sort of a miracle. I understand fans waiting for him to return to earth any day now, and I suspect he will. But in the meantime, I'm appreciating his play. It's not his fault he got pushed into everyday duty in place of a future HOF leadoff guy. I'm much more annoyed that Hensley has collapsed after an encouraging 2022.

Of course, Bregman and Abreu waking up would help alleviate those and several other concerns du jour. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

Don't forget Pena.  He needs to stop sucking too.

Problem is- what if Pena isn’t sucking this is just who he is?last year he had a 99 OPS+. This year it’s a 94 last I saw. He might just be average. I hope he’s better but… maybe not. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

As Dubon was brought here to be a handy defensive utility guy and not counted on as a serious hitter, anything approaching his current production is sort of a miracle. I understand fans waiting for him to return to earth any day now, and I suspect he will. But in the meantime, I'm appreciating his play. It's not his fault he got pushed into everyday duty in place of a future HOF leadoff guy.

Oh I agree. I just went down a rabbit hole of Dubon savant data (never thought I’d utter that sentence) and noticed his contact and K rates. He’s nearing sufficient PAs for those to be meaningful. If he has turned himself into something like an average hitter, that would be great.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1