45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I just end up with the thousand yard stare by the third or fourth game.

Tom_Lea_-_2000_Yard_Stare.jpg?fit=1000,6

Although, I mean, since it's Texas football induced in recent years, we should probably call it the "we gave up 1,000 yards in a single game" stare, or something like that. 

I mean, sure, that GI has seen some horrors - death, blood, Japanese atrocities.  But he never had to watch a Tom Herman-coached Texas team.  So, he should count his blessings.

This was the 1000 yard stare that would induce an overwhelming sense of hopelessness.

ShockedHarmoniousCrownofthornsstarfish.g

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 9

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Smart motherfuckers, too.

Super smart. Bell was the greatest collection of brainpower ever in my estimation. Even more so than the Oppenheimer gang.

My cousin, his son, actually lives in Austin. I have no idea if he is still with the remnants of Lucent, which apparently got bought by Nokia, though

29 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah and I might guess that O&G environment also tends to increase tendencies toward conservatism, especially the illegitimate kind moreso than being a circuit designer or wafer-handling engineer at a semiconductor company.

Although I think there is an evolution because oil and gas companies know they can't attract young talent if they're focused solely on fossil fuels.  Many services companies and other big corporations are going into renewables (future requires this) and those people will not fit the traditional political belief system found in o&g.  

16 minutes ago, G650 said:

Indeed, quite so

Now I’m remembering that after UT, aggie was our number 2 source.  So we imported a lot of that crap.

My experience in general, outside of O& G, and especially at the post grad level, is like yours.  Educated folks sounding educated.

Now, we can analyze finance types.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, G650 said:

Super smart. Bell was the greatest collection of brainpower ever in my estimation. Even more so than the Oppenheimer gang.

Yeah, one of my grad school profs who pseudo-mentored me was an MIT grad with time at Bell Labs before she took her role at UT.  "Smart" doesn't begin to describe her.

36 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

FIF likelihood.

Tree of Life Synagogue ring a bell?  El Paso Wal-Mart, maybe?  These are acts of stochastic terrorist mass-murder (note that nearly all of the terrorist mass-murders in the US in the last 20 years have been by right wing shitheels).  The alt-right (not alt anymore -- it's the regular GQP ecosystem now) spews non-stop that anyone they don't like (minorities, democrats, jurors who don't do what they want, any public officials (including Republicans) who don't do exactly what they want) are dangerous enemies who must die.

There are plenty of people out there ready and willing to fulfill the mission that the GQP is sending them on.  Before this is done, grand jurors/jurors/prosecutors/judges (one or more of those groups) will die.  They will be murdered by MAGA terrorists.  Because that's what MAGA is -- a terrorist movement.  Its commonalities with Al Qaeda are damned near 100% (different geography, and different fanatical religious basis, but that's about it).

Our law enforcement, FBI, etc., best be ready with all the thunder they can muster.  Because they're going to have to kill a lot more terrorists before this process is done.

at minimum many will receive death threats and harassment for years to come.  some will probably have to uproot and move.  

possibly chlling effect on some future juries in terms of convictions.  

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
over the line smoky

2 hours ago, locodos said:

Not conservatives, not GOP. 

I'm amazed that this obliterated narrative keeps getting brought up.  NO, conservatives pick issues only with their hearts, not with their heads.

The idea of the GOP being the party of law and order, science, and cold analysis got dragged out to wood shed and gang raped by Reagan, Newt, and the Costco Republicans.

• Universal pre-k pays for itself, increases GDP, reduces crime, and host of other societal issues...   Nope can't have that
  • Sex Ed reduces abortion and pays for itself...  Nope
  • School lunches, nope 
  • Funding education, nope pfffft - who wants an educated workforce? Commies that's who!
  • Preventative healthcare, nope 
  • Support for Veterans, fuck those losers, nope
  • Climate denial, that won't cost us anything, right?
  • Infrastructure reinvestment, nope
  • Immigration, lulz talk to farmers in Florida to see how that's going.  Whilst simultaneously complaining about demographic collapse / population decline in the US

Tell me again how cold calculating engineers used science and math to formulate policies that ignore the world and scientists around them.  

Check This Out GIF

1 hour ago, locodos said:

I'm just tired of the myth of the gop being the choice of pragmatic, cold calculation.  It's just absolute BS.

Been an engineer, professionally, for a quarter of a century. I've worked with hundreds of engineers, remotely and around the world.

I've met more than a few that had libertarian ideals, but almost no Republicans. What few there may have been are nonexistent since 2016.

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Most engineers I know aren't necessarily conservative, but rather have a very low social IQ

guilty as charged

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, nbmishoid said:

Now I’m remembering that after UT, aggie was our number 2 source.  So we imported a lot of that crap.

My experience in general, outside of O& G, and especially at the post grad level, is like yours.  Educated folks sounding educated.

Now, we can analyze finance types.

You talking Wall St Bros? or my Capstone Fin Prof who dreamed of not needing sustenance or material things so that he could "finally be left alone to model 3rd world economies in peace"  He was pretty sure he was onto something, I'm pretty sure he was too, shrooms.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, I think he does have a point that a lot of engineering tends to be "practical" almost to the exclusion of human or ethical considerations.  To be dominated be a tyranny of numbers, so to speak.  And the curriculum tends to virtually exclude the humanities, just trying to cram in all the things an engineering graduate ought to know.

And I'd say that probably reinforces a tendency among those who choose engineering and stay with it to be perhaps somewhat less empathetic.

And then you get into the professional world and get "bean-countered" to death, leading to things like the Pinto fuel tank disaster and increasing the tyranny of numbers to include "cost engineering."

Nevertheless, I'd say engineers' overall tendency toward conservatism is more of the "classical liberal conservatism": careful consideration of change, incrementalism, etc.  Of course lots of people that were good-faith conservatives have allowed themselves to be sucked into what passes for conservatism today.

I'm not sure an ethics course is going to solve any of those problems, exactly.  Maybe an ethics component to every course that it can be wedged into, kind of like it is for CLE for lawyers.

Curiously, I found the people in engineering at UT in the mid-late 80s to be far more well rounded individuals than the people I encountered at UT Law immediately thereafter, and despite the latter group's diversity of education and educational institutions.

Ok, this is all nonsense.

Engineering is an incredibly humbling experience, because when something goes wrong, you can't hide from it; what happened is what happened. Quickly or slowly, you eventually get the possibility for being wrong hammered into every decision and statement you make. Arrogant engineers can and do fool people for a while, especially in large organizations where you can hide well, but eventually you get caught. And eventually, everyone knows about you, knows you're full of it, and any basic reference check will reveal that.

Put another way:

Novice engineers laugh at the mistakes others made.

Experienced engineers laugh at the mistakes they themselves have made.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Thanks to Trump and some of you assholes I can no longer read "indicted" as anything but "indicated".

22 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Written like someone who doesn't ever ask their family if they want him to pick up hamberders on the way home.

shut up and finish drinking your covfefe

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Thanks to Trump and some of you assholes I can no longer read "indicted" as anything but "indicated".

Dude this has been my life every time i see this thread since that idiot said it. I can't unsee

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Been an engineer, professionally, for a quarter of a century. I've worked with hundreds of engineers, remotely and around the world.

I've met more than a few that had libertarian ideals, but almost no Republicans. What few there may have been are nonexistent since 2016.

guilty as charged

All I know is that if you ever want to torpedo an owner's conference call, just ask the engineer to explain their thought process on something (quite literally anything).  Works every time.  It's the contractor equivalent to a Friday afternoon news drop.  Just slide in your bad news at the end of the call, everyone is too exhausted to care at that point.  

• Haha 3

The polling on this shit....man:

The poll finds 85% of Democrats approve of the criminal charges brought Aug. 2 by Special Counsel Jack Smith, compared with 47% of independents and just 16% of Republicans. Overall, 3 in 10 Americans disapprove, including about two-thirds of Republicans.

The survey suggests that the unprecedented indictments of a former president have done little to shake up a fundamental divide in the electorate: The majority of Americans disapprove of Trump, but he remains popular within the GOP.

Overall, 35% of Americans have a favorable view of Trump and 62% unfavorable. Among Republicans, though, seven in 10 view the former president favorably, and about 6 in 10 say they want him to make another run for the White House.

The GQP, and anyone who supports them, are beyond saving.  70% love Drumpf.  60% want him to be their nominee (that's a done-deal).  We need to be focused on ostracizing and marginalizing all of them -- much as you would do with any other cancer that wants to kill the body.

There's only one bright spot in there -- only 35% of Americans view Drumpf favorably, 62% unfavorably.  But...and here's the news that should terrify every sane American: Dotard's favorability percentage when he FUCKING WON THE ELECTION IN 2016?  Functionally the same as it is now, 34%.

We are determined to commit national suicide, using Trump as the instrument of our death.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

10 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

All I know is that if you ever want to torpedo an owner's conference call, just ask the engineer to explain their thought process on something (quite literally anything).  Works every time.  It's the contractor equivalent to a Friday afternoon news drop.  Just slide in your bad news at the end of the call, everyone is too exhausted to care at that point.  

this is very, very true and painful

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, locodos said:

I'm not an engineer, but the three that I know very well (mechanical, civil, and nuclear) are absolutely NOT republicans.  Not a significant sample size, I know.  I would suspect that family, region of the country, religion, and University environment play a larger role in determining political leanings.  

I'm just tired of the myth of the gop being the choice of pragmatic, cold calculation.  It's just absolute BS.

No one loves the hard sciences more than the GOP!

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Satchel said:

He’s getting pretty close. It won’t be long now:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-georgia-indictment-riggers-b2393425.html

There will be a complete EXONERATION!" Mr Trump wrote of his upcoming presser. "They never went after those that Rigged the Election. They only went after those that found to find the RIGGERS!." 

Whether or not Mr Trump intended to describe his political enemies using a word that is one letter away from being an exceptionally offensive slur is unclear. What is clear is that plenty of observers noted his use of the word.

Arieh Kovler, a current affairs and politics writer, collected a sampling of responses from a group of Trump supporters who post anonymously at a Reddit-like forum. 

"I don't know if Trump deliberately uses 'RIGGERS!' as a dog-whistle, but his supporters hear it either way," he wrote. “Worth noting here that the ‘riggers’ as a racist codeword has been used for a while in MAGA circles.”

Mr Kovler included a screenshot from the site showing one user who said "I love [Trump] so much" because "he just used the word RIGGERS!"

Rigger, please. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

Ok, this is all nonsense.

Engineering is an incredibly humbling experience, because when something goes wrong, you can't hide from it; what happened is what happened. Quickly or slowly, you eventually get the possibility for being wrong hammered into every decision and statement you make. Arrogant engineers can and do fool people for a while, especially in large organizations where you can hide well, but eventually you get caught. And eventually, everyone knows about you, knows you're full of it, and any basic reference check will reveal that.

Put another way:

Novice engineers laugh at the mistakes others made.

Experienced engineers laugh at the mistakes they themselves have made.

I take your point and believe it's accurate, but object as non-responsive.

I might have elaborated on my conclusion that while UT engineers were by and large some pretty smart fuckers, they were intellectually humble.  Cannot say the same thing about the UT Law students.  Intellectual arrogance is a grotesque thing.

The most singular characteristic of the GQP conservative today is an almost complete lack of empathy.

The engineering curriculum contains very few courses that breed a lot of critical thinking on matters human and doesn't encourage much empathy or consideration or understanding of our fellow beings.  And that can tilt a person already leaning toward "numeracy" pretty far into a failure to consider matters human.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Abigail Shry, of Alvin.

Conjures this:

b7018a3ce56c6b48efb24ea8602d1e105157895c

The complaint charges Shry with one count of transmitting a threat to injure another person – a felony that carries a maximum prison term of up to five years. According to the complaint, although Shry admitted to making the call she denied any plans to travel to D.C. or Houston to carry out anything she stated, “adding that if Sheila Jackson Lee comes to Alvin, then we need to worry.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/texas-woman-charged-with-threatening-to-kill-judge-overseeing-trump-case-democrat-congresswoman/ar-AA1fmMdu

The actual Abigail:

SHRY, ABIGAIL JO | 2022-09-10 Brazoria County, Texas Booking

She seems to have quite a record of being a drunken fuckup all along SE Texas.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

• blacklab changed the title to 45 indicated
6 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

going to start negging all engineering discussion.

JFC, seriously. It's bad enough we have to rehash the fucking Hillary bullshit on a regular basis. We don't need multiple pages of fucking engineering chat.

Sees GA grand jurors doxxed, sees thread bumped, goes to see discussion of it, sees 4 pages of whether engineers are conservative or not. 

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

I keep wondering why no one has fixed the title of this thread.

Waiting until they can change it to "45 indicted 45 times". 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1