2023 Rangers/Astros thread of hate

ztejas

2 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

And on the topic of “Rangers aren’t our rivals” and other disassociation coping mechanisms that folks like WBT employ to console themselves watching the Rangers bask in glory, if I was an Astros fan my perspective would be the Astros better treat the Rangers as rival numero uno.

If the Astros aren’t festering and eaten up by being absolutely embarrassed at home by Garcia and co. and letting that inspire and fuel them to play with more pride and urgency (e.g. Tucker, Peña, Dubon, etc) and continue to lean on Altuve, Yordan and “we are Houston”, they will be in for a rough go of it again next year. Especially breaking in a new manager; a new manager that ain’t gonna be a future HOFer and turnkey great like Bochy was this year.

So yea, don’t approach us next year with the hatred and chippiness reserved for a rival, that will be fun for us to watch.

Episode 2 Whatever GIF

22 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

And on the topic of “Rangers aren’t our rivals” and other disassociation coping mechanisms that folks like WBT employ to console themselves watching the Rangers bask in glory, if I was an Astros fan my perspective would be the Astros better treat the Rangers as rival numero uno.

If the Astros aren’t festering and eaten up by being absolutely embarrassed at home by Garcia and co. and letting that inspire and fuel them to play with more pride and urgency (e.g. Tucker, Peña, Dubon, etc) and continue to lean on Altuve, Yordan and “we are Houston”, they will be in for a rough go of it again next year. Especially breaking in a new manager; a new manager that ain’t gonna be a future HOFer and turnkey great like Bochy was this year.

So yea, don’t approach us next year with the hatred and chippiness reserved for a rival, that will be fun for us to watch.

Since 2015, both teams are now actually good at the same time. Both teams blew ALDS leads that year. Came very close to Texas playing Houston in the ALCS that year. Houston missed the playoffs in 2016 and after that season, Texas was trending down and down while Houston was beginning its run. It should be a fun ride the next few years. Texas looks to be building something really good and Houston is already established. This thread really had no impact for years because Texas was terrible. While Houston was winning a ton. Not exactly anything Texas fans could even do.

But now, it's game on. And the 2024 thread should be glorious. Texas is now the team to beat in the AL.

5 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

But now, it's game on. And the 2024 thread should be glorious. Texas is now the team to beat in the AL.

1. Houston Astros +375
  2. Texas Rangers +400
  3. Baltimore Orioles +650
  4. Tampa Bay Rays +650
  5. Toronto Blue Jays +650
  6. Seattle Mariners +750
  7. New York Yankees +800
  8. Minnesota Twins +950
  9. Boston Red Sox +1800
  10. Cleveland Guardians +2500
  11. Detroit Tigers +3500
  12. Chicago White Sox +5500
  13. Kansas City Royals +10000
  14. Los Angeles Angeles +10000
  15. Oakland Athletics +10000

https://www.si.com/fannation/bringmethesports/twins/twins-snubbed-in-2024-odds-to-win-american-league-pennant

4 minutes ago, elguapo said:

It’s gotta sting for the Arlington Rangers organization that  they had to suck balls for their entire existence just to end up with half as many championships as the Houston Astros.

It should sting Houston fans that we won ours without cheating, but Astros fans have no scruples or ethics and embrace a win at all cost except at home in front of the fat and ugly fans mentality.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:
  1. Houston Astros +375
  2. Texas Rangers +400
  4. Tampa Bay Rays +650
  6. Seattle Mariners +750
  7. New York Yankees +800
  8. Minnesota Twins +950
  9. Boston Red Sox +1800
  11. Detroit Tigers +3500

https://www.si.com/fannation/bringmethesports/twins/twins-snubbed-in-2024-odds-to-win-american-league-pennant

This is the same crap that Astros fans pulled all last year to justify saying they were better than the Rangers when their record wasn’t, citing Vegas odds to win it all, etc.

And where did that get the Astros this year?

5 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

It should sting Houston fans that we won ours without cheating, but Astros fans have no scruples or ethics and embrace a win at all cost except at home in front of the fat and ugly fans mentality.

Unimpressed Spongebob Squarepants GIF

Edited by elguapo

45 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:
  1. Houston Astros +375
  2. Texas Rangers +400
  4. Tampa Bay Rays +650
  6. Seattle Mariners +750
  7. New York Yankees +800
  8. Minnesota Twins +950
  9. Boston Red Sox +1800
  11. Detroit Tigers +3500

Texas won the World Series. They are the team to beat. I don't care about betting odds. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, slorch said:

The Astros had no significant injuries in 2023…

I mean, Jesus Christ, the Rangers lost the always-hurt deGrom, and other than that, they had a pretty normal run of injuries.  The Astros played most of the season missing 4 of their 5 starting pitchers, and a bunch of big bats missed significant time.

Some of y'all acting as if the Rangers were clearly the best team in baseball all year and they would've won 105 without an insane amount of injuries is...  Bizarre...

I mean, congrats, again.  Great run at the right time.  But, the Braves were the best team in baseball.  The best team in baseball doesn't always win it.  2019 Astros out front shoulda told ya.  Hell, that was the best team we've had in the last 7 years.

So, don't get butthurt about the Braves being #1 for next year.  They should be.  Doesn't take anything away from what Texas did the last three weeks.

Edited by TexArcher

3 hours ago, UTPhil2006 said:
  1. Houston Astros +375
  2. Texas Rangers +400
  4. Tampa Bay Rays +650
  6. Seattle Mariners +750
  7. New York Yankees +800
  8. Minnesota Twins +950
  9. Boston Red Sox +1800
  11. Detroit Tigers +3500

Pretty damn hilarious to see the angels down there sharing odds with the A’s and royals. 

• Like 1

Yea it's like all the Houston fans conveniently forget their 3-4 years of 10-15 page max season threads on Shaggy from 10-14.  Now they have gone full Texags every thought is a post from the jump.  Seriously there were like 5 guys over there who wasted almost 11K posts on this past season.  That isn't an indication of some strong fanbase, it's an indication that 5 of them may be mentally ill shut-ins.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I mean, Jesus Christ, the Rangers lost the always-hurt deGrom, and other than that, they had a pretty normal run of injuries.  The Astros played most of the season missing 4 of their 5 starting pitchers, and a bunch of big bats missed significant time.

Some of y'all acting as if the Rangers were clearly the best team in baseball all year and they would've won 105 without an insane amount of injuries is...  Bizarre...

I mean, congrats, again.  Great run at the right time.  But, the Braves were the best team in baseball.  The best team in baseball doesn't always win it.  2019 Astros out front shoulda told ya.  Hell, that was the best team we've had in the last 7 years.

So, don't get butthurt about the Braves being #1 for next year.  They should be.  Doesn't take anything away from what Texas did the last three weeks.

I don't disagree about best team on paper winning, but the difference is that the team that wins the World Series is, by definition, the best team.. I actually think pound for pound the 2011 Rangers lineup was better on paper but just ran into a team of destiny who was on the way down. The difference is we are a team of destiny this year who is on the come-up and won the World Series at least a year early, in a freaking rebuild year.

5 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Yea it's like all the Houston fans conveniently forget their 3-4 years of 10-15 page max season threads on Shaggy from 10-14.  Now they have gone full Texags every thought is a post from the jump.  Seriously there were like 5 guys over there who wasted almost 11K posts on this past season.  That isn't an indication of some strong fanbase, it's an indication that 5 of them may be mentally ill shut-ins.

7....2... I watched that bullshit....but then 7....2.. happened. See you next year.

3 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

I don't disagree about best team on paper winning, but the difference is that the team that wins the World Series is, by definition, the best team..

It's really not.

Any statistician will tell you that you don't measure something more accurately by shrinking the sample size.  It's exactly the opposite.

You don't really think the 9-7 Giants beating the 16-0 Patriots in that Super Bowl means that the Giants were the better team, do you?  Of course not.  They play that game 100 times and the Patriots win at least 80 of them.

As a sidebar, I think the European soccer leagues have this nailed.  Each league has a season (league champion) and a domestic tournament (cup champion).  Win them both, and you did the double.  It's cool because the season and the tournament measure different things.

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

They would have won over 100 games if they were healthy. This doesn't even include Scherzer who missed a lot of games once he was traded. I don't think it's even a question really. 

But the Astros were also very unlucky with injuries. The AL West will be crazy next year. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

32 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

They would have won over 100 games if they were healthy. This doesn't even include Scherzer who missed a lot of games once he was traded. I don't think it's even a question really. 

But the Astros were also very unlucky with injuries. The AL West will be crazy next year. 

Forget deGrom, because he's *always* hurt.  That was just a boneheaded trade.

The others: 4 injuries, none longer than about a quarter of the season?  Yeah, that is not a bad run of injuries.  Christ, it adds up the same as one guy missing the whole season.

Edit: okay, add Heim and Gray.  It's an average run of injuries, guys.  It probably cost you a few games in standings.  It didn't turn a 105-win team into a 90-win team.  Fun fact: no one's ever won 105 without having half a dozen guys go to the IL, too.

Christ, this is some silliness.  Most of y'all were burying your own team on your own thread a month ago.  Now, they were the best team all year?  Come on, man.

Edited by TexArcher

14 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

It's an average run of injuries, guys. 

That is nowhere close to a normal run of injuries. They were missing 3 or 4 of their top pitchers for significant stretches of the season and then 2 or 3 of their top bats. That is not  "your average run of injuries." 

Now I will say the Rangers took some risks on guys with an injury history. Maybe this is a long-term issue for them signing these type risks. 

1 hour ago, futureman said:

oh?  us?  “bandwagon fans”?  

image.thumb.png.b8132c7d730b3e0496029819e2f8b287.png

So MLB sucked at getting their product out then too.  Nice.

Actually in the past 24 hours or so, i've heard from lots of die-hard  Ranger fans/ buddies/ family.  It's been good to hear them soak it up and share how happy they are.  I have zero problem with it.

2024 is gonna be fun.

I get the silliness on the trash talk thread, but I'm an Astros fan that was happy the Rangers won. Called my Dallas family immediately and congratulated them.

And "Texas isn't our rival" I guess isn't true for the organization as a whole, but for me it's true. I don't have to hate the Rangers just because Bud Selig wanted his irrelevant franchise in the same division as the Cubs. I grew up with the Rangers as my second team for decades.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

And "Texas isn't our rival" I guess isn't true for the organization as a whole, but for me it's true.

It was definitely a manufactured rivalry at first.  I mean, Houston was moved specifically to set it up, which felt contrived to begin with, then there were a few years where the Rangers were good and the Astros weren't, then a few years of the opposite.  So, it just wasn't working.

But, now it feels like a genuine rivalry.  There's bad blood on the field and in the stands, and we're both gonna be among the favorites to win the AL again.  If both teams remain competitive for a few more years, this is gonna get salty as hell.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

You don't really think the 9-7 Giants beating the 16-0 Patriots in that Super Bowl means that the Giants were the better team, do you?  Of course not.  They play that game 100 times and the Patriots win at least 80 of them.

Aren't you arguing against yourself here?

2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

It's really not.

Any statistician will tell you that you don't measure something more accurately by shrinking the sample size.  It's exactly the opposite.

As a sidebar, I think the European soccer leagues have this nailed.  Each league has a season (league champion) and a domestic tournament (cup champion).  Win them both, and you did the double.  It's cool because the season and the tournament measure different things.

Matt Leinart has entered the chat

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, gofuckyourself said:

I found John Smoltz.

next year they should just have a graphic chyron where Smoltz can tell us what pitch he'd throw to every batter before the pitch.  he can just punch a button that says sinker low away or 4 seam fastball up and in. 

then we don't have to listen to him try to explain the intricacies of what a pitcher should throw on 3-0 for 20 seconds.

• Drool 1