Black Teenager Shot for Ringing Wrong Doorbell

TexEx15

1 hour ago, Zepol87 said:

Agree it was a fucking kid man, all those neighbors deserve to get fucked with for being pieces of shit. I just moved from a shitty suburb in dfw  and more than a few posts on next door were about kids jumping fences into yards and the immediate comments were usually I have something waiting for whoever does that to my yard. Then a few hours later a parent came on and said that was my kid who left his key and used the backdoor

Fucking psychos everywhere and they all have guns and are pussy bitches. See DT carrying thread 

I don't know. I have 3 small kids. I don't know what I would have done in that situation. I would like to think I would have helped. But I would also be concerned about endangering my children. I'm not sure I would overcome that fear. If it was just me, different story entirely. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If you looked out your door/window and as a kid was being shot, you wouldn’t have helped especially when he ran to your door for assistance. Man we suck, I grew up in worse neighborhoods than most of you privileged assholes but even a dude that robbed someone and came to my door crying for help in the hood I would call police and try to help. Y’all crazy man and it’s really sad. I’m glad I didn’t grow up in y’all’s shitty suburbs just moved into them 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Just now, Zepol87 said:

If you looked out your door/window and as a kid was being shot, you wouldn’t have helped especially when he ran to your door for assistance. Man we suck, I grew up in worse neighborhoods than most of you privileged assholes but even a dude that robbed someone and came to my door crying for help in the hood I would call police and try to help. Y’all crazy man and it’s really sad. I’m glad I didn’t grow up in y’all’s shitty suburbs just moved into them 

I would definitely call for an ambulance. But in this particular circumstance, with gunshots at night, I'm going to concerned about endangering my family. I'd like to think I would open the door to help. But that is some hard instinct to fight. And fuck, if I bet wrong and my family did get hurt? I don't think I could live with myself. 

It’s a person and you try to help them. In pleasant grove my grandparents had a few homeless and other not good folks come up with injuries asking for help. They always helped and my grandpa even got held at gun point once for helping a dude bleeding while all the grandkids were in the house watching. I still hate Dallas PD for this but my grandpa was always about helping people. Just saying fuck it is wild to me but yea we grew up in different areas 

Edited by Zepol87
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Zepol87 said:

It’s a person and you try to help them. In pleasant grove my grandparents had a few homeless and other not good folks come up with injuries asking for help. They always helped and my grandpa even got held at gun point once for helping a dude bleeding while all the grandkids were in the house watching. I still hate Dallas PD for this but my grandpa was always about helping people. Just saying fuck it is wild to me but yea we grew up in different areas 

Where did I say my response would be "fuck it"? I said I would be torn. I know I would want to help. But, again, having responsibility to others who are more vulnerable changes things. I'm not saying it is a no. I'm saying I wouldn't be surprised if I would hesitate in the moment. If you don't understand that you either don't have kids, are a better person than me, or maybe you just don't think about your actions and their consequences all that much. 

9 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

You open the door, call 911 and try to stop the bleeding. It is a kid. He has been shot. You help him. 

And if your family ends up dead because it wasn't just kid? Seriously, you don't think that thought is worth a moment of hesitation?

Just now, Zepol87 said:

Being torn on helping a dying human is saying fuck it. Sorry that’s insane

You're not listening. 

• Haha 1

I don't know. I have 3 small kids. I don't know what I would have done in that situation. I would like to think I would have helped. But I would also be concerned about endangering my children. I'm not sure I would overcome that fear. If it was just me, different story entirely. 

Way to teach them.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

The only time I bring a gun to the door is when I come back from picking up breakfast tacos on the weekend and see the Jehova’s Witnesses canvassing the neighborhood.  Shuts that shit down real quickly.  In all seriousness, I don’t think I could let someone potentially bleed out in my front yard.  Too many unknowns to say with any certainty though.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Way to teach them.

Can't teach the dead. But again, the point here isn't to say what I would or wouldn't do. The point here is to allow a moment of self reflection and to put myself in someone else's shoes. I have a hard time judging someone in this particular instance for being nervous about opening the door. Calling an ambulance is a no brainer. Beyond that, in the moment, I think there is room to have some understanding why someone might be hesitant to open their door and step outside in those circumstances. 

3 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Call an ambulance from a distance kids

That's what I fucking said I would definitely do. It is the stuff after that that leaves some room for doubt. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 1

Wait you thought I was serious? Call 911 and let a kid die in your yard? Holy shit this is a pretty crazy conversation. No mfer go help someone dying in your yard wtf is wrong with people. Good thing you guys are mostly 1%era who won’t ever be impacted with real world issues on next door because we would be fucked as a community 

Thanks for taking the time to self reflect though. Important things

Edited by Zepol87
  • Hook 'Em 2

Wait you thought I was serious? Call 911 and let a kid die in your yard? Holy shit this is a pretty crazy conversation. No mfer go help someone dying in your yard wtf is wrong with people. Good thing you guys are mostly 1%era who won’t ever be impacted with real world issues on next door because we would be fucked as a community 

Way to miss the point. 

• Haha 1

Ok I’m listening now. AA high school age neighbor gets shot and needs help at your door. You shut the door on him and call 911 and then neighbor comes to shoot him again. Please tell me your point. 

You're not even trying here. There is context here besides a kid dying in your front yard. This isn't a kid that has fallen off his bike and gotten a head wound. And it isn't the middle of the day. This is a middle of night gunshot, followed by a teenager (not a 7 year old) knocking on your door. There is definitely a danger in answering that call even if it is the morally right thing to do. He could be a robber who just attacked your neighbor. He could be armed. As I said, if I'm by myself, that is an easy call for me. If I will also be putting my kids in danger, it is decidedly less so. I don't know, sitting here right now, how I would act. I'd like to think I'd go outside and help. But if you can't recognize that it is a risk to do so, I don't think you're fully thinking anything through. I just think it isn't fair to judge folks without some more context about how this played out, e.g., like the lady on the phone with 911 being specifically told not to go outside. 

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

And if your family ends up dead because it wasn't just kid? Seriously, you don't think that thought is worth a moment of hesitation?

You're not listening. 

You tell your husband to take the kids into a back room, you go and help. They call 911. You close the door behind you, he locks it so your kids are safe. You try to slow down or stop the bleeding and stay on station. 

• Hook 'Em 1

What a fucked up thing to happen.  Unless something drastically changes in the story, this shooter needs to be sent away for the rest of his life. 

I just can't wrap my head around why. 

This was just before 10pm, not super late. It's not as if the kid was banging on the door at 3am screaming obscenities. 

Is it really as simple as the guy was terrified for his life from a skinny black kid.    That's just crazy.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

You tell your husband to take the kids into a back room, you go and help. They call 911. You close the door behind you, he locks it so your kids are safe. You try to slow down or stop the bleeding and stay on station. 

Ah, yes, sexism will definitely help things. Y'all are being children. Apparently you can't handle the slightest bit of introspection here. Frankly, if feels like you're reacting to something other than what I'm saying, likely the horribleness of the original story. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

You're not even trying here. There is context here besides a kid dying in your front yard. This isn't a kid that has fallen off his bike and gotten a head wound. And it isn't the middle of the day. This is a middle of night gunshot, followed by a teenager (not a 7 year old) knocking on your door. There is definitely a danger in answering that call even if it is the morally right thing to do. He could be a robber who just attacked your neighbor. He could be armed. As I said, if I'm by myself, that is an easy call for me. If I will also be putting my kids in danger, it is decidedly less so. I don't know, sitting here right now, how I would act. I'd like to think I'd go outside and help. But if you can't recognize that it is a risk to do so, I don't think you're fully thinking anything through. I just think it isn't fair to judge folks without some more context about how this played out, e.g., like the lady on the phone with 911 being specifically told not to go outside. 

So what was the thread about again?? 

Ok if focused on your other arguments kids go to back off house lock doors bring a weapon out with you in case you are super pussy like most here are. Then decide to help someone bleeding out, but probably too late. Thanks for being a guy

7 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Ok if focused on your other arguments kids go to back off house lock doors bring a weapon out with you in case you are super pussy like most here are. Then decide to help someone bleeding out, but probably too late. Thanks for being a good guy 

Double post sorry

3 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Ok if focused on your other arguments kids go to back off house lock doors bring a weapon out with you in case you are super pussy like most here are. Then decide to help someone bleeding out, but probably too late. Thanks for being a guy

Thanks for being a dick. 

Ah, yes, sexism will definitely help things. Y'all are being children. Apparently you can't handle the slightest bit of introspection here. Frankly, if feels like you're reacting to something other than what I'm saying, likely the horribleness of the original story. 

I do not know your gender. 

And yes I can, and I know my reaction would be to go and help. Like you don't drive past a car wreck or a burning house. 

Would you stop at a car wreck to help if your kids were in the car? Parking them on the side of the road means they could be rear ended by someone rubber necking. 

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

I do not know your gender. 

And yes I can, and I know my reaction would be to go and help. Like you don't drive past a car wreck or a burning house. 

Would you stop at a car wreck to help if your kids were in the car? Parking them on the side of the road means they could be rear ended by someone rubber necking. 

Perhaps you didn't mean "go get your husband" in the usual assault on masculinity way. If so, my bad. That's how I interpreted it.

You stop at every single wreck you see? I do not believe that. You make a judgment call based upon whether everyone looks alright or some form of help is already there. And yes, I think the ability to stop safely is also a consideration, particularly if others are already assisting. Yes, I'll take into account that my children are in the car when deciding whether to stop. My first, second, and third priority is to them. Do you have kids? 

• Hook 'Em 2

Perhaps you didn't mean "go get your husband" in the usual assault on masculinity way. If so, my bad. That's how I interpreted it.

You stop at every single wreck you see? I do not believe that. You make a judgment call based upon whether everyone looks alright or some form of help is already there. And yes, I think the ability to stop safely is also a consideration, particularly if others are already assisting. Yes, I'll take into account that my children are in the car when deciding whether to stop. My first, second, and third priority is to them. Do you have kids? 

Yes I do, two, and they have lived in some rough places. I would hope they would respond. 

Small wrecks? No. Bad ones, yes. 

This story is fucked up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

What a fucked up thing to happen.  Unless something drastically changes in the story, this shooter needs to be sent away for the rest of his life. 

This was just before 10pm, not super late. It's not as if the kid was banging on the door at 3am screaming obscenities. 

Is it really as simple as the guy was terrified for his life from a skinny black kid.    That's just crazy.

Black kid knocked on door, racist DT pussy wants to kill someone. End of story and kind of crazy how I feel like a couple posters here would wish for this chance 

These people are scared of everything. It’s the Amerikkka the 30% love.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

When was the last time you heard of someone getting hurt because they offered aid to a shooting victim who showed up at their door seeking help? What are you afraid of? Do you see a marauding hoard chasing him down from behind? Do you think it’s a setup? That the shooting victim is part of a deception to get you to open your home so someone can hurt your family?

Thats a pretty strange worldview you have where your immediate impulse isn’t to offer aid to someone who’s bleeding from multiple gunshot wounds. And yes, I think it’s perfectly reasonable to ask what kind of lesson you’re teaching your kids if they see their dad close the door on a bloody shooting victim because he’s too frightened to show simple human decency and offer aid. 

• Hook 'Em 6

6 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

You're not listening. 

That's not how this works. This is Surly.

6 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Thanks for taking the time to self reflect though. Important things

Wait? You’re saying you DON’T think we’re fucked as a society?

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

When was the last time you heard of someone getting hurt because they offered aid to a shooting victim who showed up at their door seeking help? What are you afraid of? Do you see a marauding hoard chasing him down from behind? Do you think it’s a setup? That the shooting victim is part of a deception to get you to open your home so someone can hurt your family?

Thats a pretty strange worldview you have where your immediate impulse isn’t to offer aid to someone who’s bleeding from multiple gunshot wounds. And yes, I think it’s perfectly reasonable to ask what kind of lesson you’re teaching your kids if they see their dad close the door on a bloody shooting victim because he’s too frightened to show simple human decency and offer aid. 

What makes you so sure that you can immediately tell in that situation that the kid is the victim and not the perpetrator? Do you think it's impossible that someone could attempt an armed robbery and get whacked in the head before fleeing? Or do you just not think things through and cast judgement on others from behind the keyboard in your mother's basement?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

What makes you so sure that you can immediately tell in that situation that the kid is the victim and not the perpetrator? Do you think it's impossible that someone could attempt an armed robbery and get whacked in the head before fleeing? Or do you just not think things through and cast judgement on others from behind the keyboard in your mother's basement?

Ah, the old shoot-yourself-in-order-to-fool-someone-into-opening-up-their-home-so-you-can-rob-them trick. Right. I’ve seen it a hundred times.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

A head wound is going to be bloody no matter if it comes from a gun or whatever hitting implement that a homeowner has handy near their door. You can't tell immediately whether it is a gunshot wound or a wound from being smashed in the head with something. So in the situation where you hear gunshots and then someone comes up to your door covered in blood it is not going to immediately be clear whether they got shot or tried to shoot someone, failed, and instead got hit over the head with a bat or something.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

All I've said is I understand the hesitation. My personal view is that I'd like to think I would help. But, yes, in the moment such thoughts would cross my mind. One, I have no idea if I'd even be able to tell if he was truly injured at night. 2, as said above, he could be an injured would be robber. 3, yes absolutely those sorts of scenarios have occurred because shitty people like to take advantage of good people. Here are some examples you judgmental asshole:

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta/atlanta-police-warning-scooter-riders-pretending-be-hurt-steal-your-car/RCIRJOA2KZFOVFTYOFKSDEBXU4/

(police warning of scooter riders pretending to be hurt to steal your car)

https://www.ketv.com/article/it-was-so-scary-it-felt-like-a-movie-disabled-omaha-woman-victim-of-carjacking/37714242

(Kids ask disabled woman for a ride because it is cold and when she says yes, point a gun at her to take the car)

https://www.ksat.com/news/2018/05/31/police-man-trying-to-be-good-samaritan-becomes-carjacking-victim/

(driver told San Antonio police he stopped to offer someone a helping hand but they took advantage of him instead, stealing his car at gunpoint.)

(Video of home invasion started after owner answered knock on door)

https://www.khou.com/article/news/crime/home-invasion-in-klein-texas/285-ddfd358c-a599-4c95-b7b5-40ef2570b307

(Investigators said a man drove into a yard in the cul-de-sac and started going to multiple homes and knocking on their doors. He then tried to open parked cars.T he man went to the house of the homeowner involved. When the homeowner answered the door, the suspected gunman forced his way in.)

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news/2022-oak-lawn-home-invasion/

(Oak Lawn police said, on March 22, a woman in an orange jacket rang the doorbell of the victim at her home, on 105th Place near Kenton Avenue, pretending to sell candy around 6 p.m. The woman was alone in her home at the time. Soon afterward, a man wearing a white T-shirt over a blue hoodie forced his way into the home at gunpoint – knocking the victim to the ground.)

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/woman-children-startled-by-men-with-handguns-in-home/49547/

(Woman Knocks on Door Before Gunmen Enter Home)

But yeah, shitty people, like the kind that shoot a kid for knocking on the wrong door, don't exist and you shouldn't be aware of them at all. 

32 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Ah, the old shoot-yourself-in-order-to-fool-someone-into-opening-up-their-home-so-you-can-rob-them trick. Right. I’ve seen it a hundred times.

I have no idea if I'd be able to tell at night what state the kid was in. Maybe I could, maybe I couldn't. My ability to discern whether the kid truly needed help or was a threat would be part of the unknown here in how I would respond. Again, I'd like to think I would help. But I just don't know for sure. But yes, so long as one doesn't think about the consequences at fucking all, one is free to judge those that may taken a moment to figure shit out. 

Also, there is a difference between me risking my own life and me risking my family's lives. I can easily justify the first. The second isnt so easy for me to dismiss. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Like 1

Yeah, with more information coming to light about what the neighbors did/didn't do, I'm still torn on how you handle that situation for your own safety.  I wouldn't think it was an elaborate scheme to enter my home/endanger my family.  And I don't think a teenager would be evading another crime in a residential area with blood coming out of his head.  Those are bizarre instincts to have.  My primary concern based on the facts would be "I think I heard a gunshot a moment ago, and then another round, and now there's a young person bleeding out in my driveway, perhaps the three are somehow connected."  

There's always some drunk dipshit in my neighborhood and/or the one over from us that shares a decent sized creekbed with us.  And every now and again, at night, I'll hear them firing off a shotgun to get the coyotes that eat the neighbor cats during draughts.  Now, if I heard a couple of shots as I sometimes do...and then just moments later, somebody was bleeding from the head in my front lawn...I'd possibly assume something bad has happened and perhaps I can be of assistance.  

Also, wasn't the shooter still pursuing him on foot with the gun?  I assume he is a known person to the people on his street?  I don't get the mental gymnastics, "Oh hey, it's Old Man Lester.  And he's got a gun.  And he's chasing after that kid in my driveway missing part of his head.  Ah well, the kid is probably on marijuana.  Best to stay inside and turn on the new."  

• Hook 'Em 1

Here’s an idea:  put your family in the bathtub with a mattress on top and FIVE large spiders as praetorian guard JUST IN CASE the gravely injured individual pleading for your help somehow Popeye’s themselves with magic spinach and proceeds to zombie rage into your domicile. 

• Hook 'Em 7

52 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

A head wound is going to be bloody no matter if it comes from a gun or whatever hitting implement that a homeowner has handy near their door. You can't tell immediately whether it is a gunshot wound or a wound from being smashed in the head with something. So in the situation where you hear gunshots and then someone comes up to your door covered in blood it is not going to immediately be clear whether they got shot or tried to shoot someone, failed, and instead got hit over the head with a bat or something.

You’d think a criminal would be high-tailing it away from the crime scene instead of seeking help right next door to the incident no? 

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

7 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Black kid knocked on door, racist DT pussy wants to kill someone. End of story and kind of crazy how I feel like a couple posters here would wish for this chance 

People like fattyflattie and all the other people who like to debate what type of round was used and other irrelevant minutae when shootings happen absolutely fantasize about something like this. They ultimately want to use their guns for what they're designed to do. A situation where they can legally kill someone (or at least they think it's legal) is the ultimate wet dream.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Geez, you people snapping on dahobbs’ honest introspection as he tries to empathetically game out what he would do and take a full inventory of the entire situation. It just reeks of the same emotional knee jerk response that happens when the insane “good guys with a gun” Monday-morning QB a violent situation halfway across the country from them with the vain certainty that they would have done the needful so easily.

We all would want to be the Good Samaritan and it’s easy to say you will be. I think countless studies and research have shown it’s typically harder in practice. All I’m saying is give some grace and assume positive intent from strangers, until otherwise.

I mean, following instruction from someone acting in an official police capacity isn’t the most morally reprehensible thing in the world, especially if you are scared and confused and naive to these situations. Especially if they don’t have the lived experience of growing up with homeless and shot gang bangers or drug addicts coming up to them needing help or whatever Zepol was reminiscing about.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, usmc0331horn said:

My parents and grandparents wouldn't have even thought twice about helping when I was a kid. Wtf has happened to people and our communities?

We’re so fucking scared, we shoot and kill strangers who mistakenly pull into our driveways. We assume everything is a conspiracy. We’re afraid of monsters under the bed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

We’re so fucking scared, we shoot and kill strangers who mistakenly pull into our driveways. We assume everything is a conspiracy. We’re afraid of monsters under the bed. 

Well, except there are actually some monsters under the bed, evidenced by multiple threads of people shooting others for existing in their general vicinity. One could argue that guns and gun culture have created a vicious cycle where we feel less safe, get more guns, and in turn become less safe. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

We’ve lost the sense of community and a shared understanding that helped to heuristically give us a short hand of threats. With the rise of mental illness and mass shootings and the impersonal nature of most modern neighborhoods, you just don’t have the quick assurance of green and red flags when you hear gunshots and see bloody people.

People defaulting to “my great grandpappy woulda kindly helped his Christian neighbor after being shot by those savage Comanches so what’s wrong with us today in society!!” are being unfair, IMO.