Future OOC Schedules - What should they look like?

DFW Horn

Assuming the SEC moves to a 9-game, 3-6-6, league schedule to maximize TV revenues, I think our 3 future OOC games should include;

1. a made for TV game against the top B1G, ACC, and what's left of the PAC (or MWC if it implodes). Notre Dame, obviously. Home & home
  2. a match-up against former Big 12/SWC teams. They'll expect home & home, too
  3. a TX-based D1 program; UTSA, UTEP, Texas St, ACU, SFA, SHSU, UNT, and SMU. We've really loaded up on our system schools, moving forward, playing one every season thru 2031. These are home games.

Future schedules align like this, but what's the point in playing Wyoming? Or San Jose St? Yes, they're home games and should be gimme wins, but have gotta be TV ratings losers.

Colorado St is okay, I guess, as a home cupcake. But, I'd rather see Tech, BU, TCU, UH, and OSU on some type of rotation for nostalgia. I don't want to play any of them too often. Indifferent to KU, KSU, and ISU.

We really don't need as many cupcakes with a 12-team CFB Playoff, so I'd rather play fewer stinkers if it can be avoided. I think season ticket holders will agree. TV partners are pushing for it, too.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Assuming the SEC moves to a 9-game, 3-6-6, league schedule to maximize TV revenues, I think our 3 future OOC games should include;

1. a made for TV game against the top B1G, ACC, and what's left of the PAC (or MWC if it implodes). Notre Dame, obviously. Home & home
  2. a match-up against former Big 12/SWC teams. They'll expect home & home, too
  3. a TX-based D1 program; UTSA, UTEP, Texas St, ACU, SFA, SHSU, UNT, and SMU. We've really loaded up on our system schools, moving forward, playing one every season thru 2031. These are home games.

Future schedules align like this, but what's the point in playing Wyoming? Or San Jose St? Yes, they're home games and should be gimme wins, but have gotta be TV ratings losers.

Colorado St is okay, I guess, as a home cupcake. But, I'd rather see Tech, BU, TCU, UH, and OSU on some type of rotation for nostalgia. I don't want to play any of them too often. Indifferent to KU, KSU, and ISU.

We really don't need as many cupcakes with a 12-team CFB Playoff, so I'd rather play fewer stinkers if it can be avoided. I think season ticket holders will agree. TV partners are pushing for it, too.

That's nice, but really our former conference-mates that spent so much energy hating us can jump in a lake. If they want to play us, they can get in line like every other tier 2 school. I like the idea of a marquee H/H. I would be in favor of having two models for the other two non-con games: HH/H for tier-two opponents and pure H for the "filler" game. That would give us 4 conference home games, 2 (occasionally 3) non-con home games, the RRS, 4 conference road games, and (usually) 1 non-con road game (coordinating to ensure our marquee road game doesn't happen in a tier 2 travel year). Schools may need a little cash from us for the non-marquee agreements, but our home games generate enough revenue that both schools can come out ahead by playing them more at DKR.

I would be in favor of giving scheduling priority to schools that increase recruiting exposure and are travel-friendly (i.e., no return away games in places like Manhattan, KS). Even the "filler" games need to be someone worth watching, even if the game isn't in too great of doubt. No App State, haha.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2024 and 2025 are perfect examples of what we should do. A lower tier FBS school like Colorado State and San Jose State that we can have at home, a Texas school that helps either our system like UTSA or UTEP or the state like Rice, and a marquee Power 5 school. No Big 12 schools. They wanted us gone. We wanted to be gone. Let's all just be done with one another. If we make it to the Sugar Bowl or fall to the Texas Bowl, we can play you then. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 9

25 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

I would be in favor of giving scheduling priority to schools that increase recruiting exposure and are travel-friendly (i.e., no return away games in places like Manhattan, KS). Even the "filler" games need to be someone worth watching, even if the game isn't in too great of doubt. No App State, haha.

I don't think it's realistic for any P5 not to expect a return game at home.

But, yeah, I don't see the point in playing K-State. 

24 minutes ago, mdmost said:

No Big 12 schools. They wanted us gone.

I don't know of any Big 12 alumni who really "wanted us gone". None with a fully functioning brain, anyway. I must be in the minority who'd like to play Tech and others home & home every now and then.

• Hook 'Em 4

I think ESPN will “strongly suggest” ACC opponents to the top SEC teams so they have a guarantee that series is on ESPN. Also props up the ACC schedule.

Anybody except for Wake, Duke, ‘Cuse, and Georgia Tech works for me.

Enjoy the Michigan series and the Ohio State game at DKR. I doubt we’ll see it again unless it’s in the playoffs, God willing. 

I think post 2027 it’ll look like this: 

1 game against the top half of the ACC, home game against UT System School/Texas State, and home game against Rice/Louisiana directional school. 

2 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

I don't know of any Big 12 alumni who really "wanted us gone". None with a fully functioning brain, anyway. I must be in the minority who'd like to play Tech and others home & home every now and then.

No. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think ESPN will “strongly suggest” ACC opponents to the top SEC teams so they have a guarantee that series is on ESPN. Also props up the ACC schedule.

Anybody except for Wake, Duke, ‘Cuse, and Georgia Tech works for me.

Enjoy the Michigan series and the Ohio State game at DKR. I doubt we’ll see it again unless it’s in the playoffs, God willing. 

I think post 2027 it’ll look like this: 

1 game against the top half of the ACC, home game against UT System School/Texas State, and home game against Rice/Louisiana directional school. 

No

No, what? You don't want to play Tech, TCU, and BU again, ever? Louisiana directional games suck, IMO. I'd rather play a Texas tier 2 program.

Home & home with GaTech wouldn't be bad. Exposure to ATL recruits. If I had to rank my preferred ACC opponents, it'd look like this;

FSU

Clemson

UNC

GaTech

Miami

Pitt

Louisville

UVA

I don't really care about the others. But, to each his own.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

They want to be done with us too. I don't need our fans or players to make a trip to Lubbock or Waco again. Just enjoy the new Big 12 and we'll enjoy our new conference.

My wishlist of future OOC opponents: Washington, Oregon, Clemson, Florida State, Wisconsin, Minnesota (just for ease of traveling to Minneapolis St Paul), Notre Dame, USC again but I doubt they'll be pulling any big names now, Cal and Stanford to keep a west coast presence. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

No, what? You don't want to play Tech, TCU, and BU again, ever? Louisiana directional games suck, IMO. I'd rather play a Texas tier 2 program.

Home & home with GaTech wouldn't be bad. Exposure to ATL recruits. If I had to rank my preferred ACC opponents, it'd look like this;

FSU

Clemson

UNC

GaTech

Miami

Pitt

Louisville

UVA

I don't really care about the others. But, to each his own.

You gotta think more big picture here. ESPN will want every Texas game on their network + CDC has already expressed interest in maximizing home game games. Louisiana Tech isn’t a sexy game, but it will be at DKR and that’s what the decision makers want.

Texas Tech needs to get slapped. Did you watch the legislative meetings? Plus PUF shenanigans and their AD unilaterally announcing a 20 f***ing year home and home series. 

Screw Tech. 

The others participated in the Texas Legislature tantrum. They can also get f***ed. 

• Hook 'Em 7

Just now, billfromlaketravis said:

You gotta think more big picture here. ESPN will want every Texas game on their network + CDC has already expressed interest in maximizing home game games. Louisiana Tech isn’t a sexy game, but it will be at DKR and that’s what the decision makers want.

Texas Tech needs to get slapped. Did you watch the legislative meetings? Plus PUF shenanigans and their AD unilaterally announcing a 20 f***ing year home and home series. 

Screw Tech

The others participated in the Texas Legislature tantrum. They can also get f***ed. 

No, I didn't watch the TX legislative meetings. Now I understand where you're coming from.

Wouldn't playing TX tier 2 schools, who don't expect a return visit, accomplish the same thing as playing LA directional teams?

1 minute ago, DFW Horn said:

No, I didn't watch the TX legislative meetings. Now I understand where you're coming from.

Wouldn't playing TX tier 2 schools, who don't expect a return visit, accomplish the same thing as playing LA directional teams?

Tech might do a 2 for 1, maybe, but probably not. I’d tell them to call us back in 2034-2035. They need to get plenty desperate to go for that. Let ‘em stew. 

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think OOC scheduling is Saban’s next big whine. I’m sure ESPN wants Bama-Clemson/FSU/Notre Dame every year. 

It could be a pretty tough schedule for us. Clemson/FSU/Notre Dame + 9 games in the SEC. I wouldn’t be mad at all with a SFA home game in a Clemson year. 

...and ESPN should. Hell, fans and alumni who buy season tickets should raise hell too. Yeah, ESPN can dump the lesser, Tier 3 games onto SEC Network. But, no SEC or P5 team should be scheduling FCS stinkers. That's what the Sun Belt and CUSA is for.

With a 12-Team playoff, one or even 2 losses doesn't necessarily hurt the bluebloods.

I think Texas should explore a FCS game. Especially after the SFA acquisition. I’m sure that program needs every red cent they can find.

I think we’ll see SEC teams like aggy and Auburn try to sneak in 2 FCS games if they’re forced into 9 conference games + an ACC game. I think Sankey will shut it down, but the compromise is probably 1 FCS game a year. 

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Zero reasons to schedule ranked opponents

Wrong.  There is at least one reason.  We are not pussies like some other school that uses Texas as part of its name.  And I don't like the idea of scheduling any FCS schools.  I'd prefer that that kind of shitty scheduling in the SEC will stop.  No need to be playing the likes of SFA, Prairie View, or McNeese St. in November...or any other month.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

Wrong.  There is at least one reason.  We are not pussies like some other school that uses Texas as part of its name.  And I don't like the idea of scheduling any FCS schools.  I'd prefer that that kind of shitty scheduling in the SEC will stop.  No need to be playing the likes of SFA, Prairie View, or McNeese St. in November...or any other month.

SFA is joining the WAC

They'll be a low-level FBS team, moving forward, along with UTRGV now that I think about it. We can schedule home games with them, too, once they get ramped up. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

I would much rather be entering conference play at a guaranteed 3-0 every year than beating our team up against tOSU or Michigan. With a 12 team playoff, there really is no reason for major non conference games. You will have to go through the sec plus 3 playoff games. Anyone whining about SOS at that point can get fucked.

• Hook 'Em 2

53 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think Texas should explore a FCS game. Especially after the SFA acquisition. I’m sure that program needs every red cent they can find.

I think we’ll see SEC teams like aggy and Auburn try to sneak in 2 FCS games if they’re forced into 9 conference games + an ACC game. I think Sankey will shut it down, but the compromise is probably 1 FCS game a year. 

When will the SFA acquisition be finalized?

All the more reason to throw them a bone to help raise their athletic profile. Home win, help out a UT system school, and keep the money in-house. Win, win, win

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

SFA is joining the WAC

They'll be a low-level FBS team, moving forward, along with UTRGV now that I think about it. We can schedule home games with them, too, once they get ramped up. 

Excellent. Spread it around on the System schools. UTSA will be fine. UTEP will always be shitty. 

Rice’s Mob can stop by whenever they want and ridicule the shit out of us and the SEC. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

When will the SFA acquisition be finalized?

All the more reason to throw them a bone to help raise their athletic profile. Home win, help out a UT system school, and keep the money in-house. Win, win, win

I haven’t seen anything final, but it’s supposed to be this year.

https://www.utsystem.edu/news/2023/01/31/first-investment-sfa-ut-board-of-regents-will-provide-no-cost-tuition-more-one-thousand-additional-students

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Ut scheduling has little to no effect on sec tv contracts 

Then why are we moving to the SEC?

Reason #1 is more TV money due to better, higher-rated games. Agree our future non-conference opponents has no effect, short-term. But, what about the next contract? Doesn't it make good, business sense to keep ESPN happy?

I'm not sure how it works for you guys, but no matter what the fans want the local business and administration will want home games.  That generally means you are stuck with 1 or 2 games to pad wallets, not to delight fans.  It's a business now more than ever.

Edited by locodos
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I would much rather be entering conference play at a guaranteed 3-0 every year than beating our team up against tOSU or Michigan. With a 12 team playoff, there really is no reason for major non conference games. You will have to go through the sec plus 3 playoff games. Anyone whining about SOS at that point can get fucked.

Yeah “no reason” at all…as season ticket holder, I love playing games against San Jose and Louisiana Monroe and hate games against USC and Notre Dame.

People who WANT more shitty football games are pussies.

• Haha 2

We should never, never, never schedule games against FCS opponents.  Fuck anyone who advocates SEC-style pussy scheduling.

FBS schools I never want to see on our schedule: Baylor, TCU, Houston

The rest of the Big XII should be last-resort. Try to squeeze 2-for-1s if we can (probably a non-starter, but we should ask because fuck 'em).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Aren't you guys tired of shitty games in Austin?   And yes SECx3 will help, but i'm tired of looking at the scheduled and thinking, "there isnt a game i care about".    Outside of general Texas football interest.

With a 12 team playoff, this is no reason NOT to play marquee games.   You can lose a close game to USC/ohio st at the beginning of the year and still make the playoffs.  

And if you lose that game and then 3 more conference games, then you aren't good enough to win it all anyway, so at least you got a great game in September. 

Edited by Mr. Drummond
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Oh for Fuck's sake! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO....

We have played what... only one FCS program and that was Sam Houston State in 2006?

There is NO reason to ever play a fucking FCS school.  We are not aggy.

With the expanded playoffs, we don't need a creampuff.  Good Lord.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

Oh for Fuck's sake! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO....

We have played what... only one FCS program and that was Sam Houston State in 2006?

There is NO reason to ever play a fucking FCS school.  We are not aggy.

With the expanded playoffs, we don't need a creampuff.  Good Lord.

This.

FCS opponents are for FCS schools and pussies.

Period.

• Hook 'Em 2

There’s kinda big discrepancy between FCS and ranked opponents.

There’s very few, if any, Texas fans that would advocate for an FCS game. If your goal is to make the playoff, there is little sense in scheduling a likely top 25 program.

For one, you don’t really want to beat them then have to beat them again in the playoffs. With the SEC conference schedule, it’s very unlikely you need a quality non-conference schedule to make the playoff. If you take your 2 SEC losses plus a non-con loss, you may find yourself looking at being outside the top-12.

And of course you need to consider a top 4 seed is way better than a non-top 4 seed. You lose 1 conference and 1 non-con you likely kiss that seed goodbye. So if your first goal is to get into the playoff with the ultimate goal of winning it all, then there’s little point in adding an extra difficult game because your chances decrease by quite a bit. I’d guess a top 8 seed is significant over the bottom 4 seed too.

For season ticket holders, it’ll cost more longer term and those SEC bottom dwellers will become old and boring at some point. There’s a slight conflict in that you want great opponents to watch but that’s counter to odds of greater season success.

I do think the Michigan and Ohio State type matchups in non-conference will become less frequent. I’d rather play those dudes home and home than in crappy JerryWorld or Chick Fil A Stadium.

Maybe we just get so good we can have all of the wants.

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Zero reasons to schedule ranked opponents

3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

If the goal is to win the SEC (which should guarantee a playoff spot), playing another power in non-conference should help improve the team more than playing 3 cupcakes. Bama and the other SEC big dogs commonly have some premium OOC matchup to start the year. In 2005, several UT players credited the tough game at Ohio State in helping them be who they were come OU and USC. Losing to a UM/USC/Ohio St/Penn St/ND does not impact our SEC championship odds, and the experience could improve the odds. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

That's nice, but really our former conference-mates that spent so much energy hating us can jump in a lake. If they want to play us, they can get in line like every other tier 2 school.

This.  They all made a shitload of money by being in the same conference with Texas, and all they ever did was resent us for it.  They're pretty much all Aggy Lite at this point, and as far as I'm concerned, I'd be happy to hand out annual non-conference ass whippings to all of them in basketball and baseball, and I really hope we get to, but we should never, ever play any of them again in football.  

And I really don't think most of them even comprehend what's happening here.  I know a TCU guy who thinks that what's left of the Big 12 will just absorb what's left of the Pac and continue to be a conference that gets national respect, and it'll land a massive tv deal, then it'll put a couple of really good teams into the expanded playoff every year, as in it'll be just one notch below the SEC and B1G, but better than the ACC.   He's serious.  The only reason I want to keep in touch with any of our former conference mates is to see the look on their faces in about year 3 or 4 sans UT and ou when they realize that they're going to be stuck with Conference USA talent for the rest of their lives.

Edited by TexArcher

32 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

And I really don't think most of them even comprehend what's happening here.  I know a TCU guy who thinks that what's left of the Big 12 will just absorb what's left of the Pac and continue to be a conference that gets national respect, and it'll land a massive tv deal, then it'll put a couple of really good teams into the expanded playoff every year, as in it'll be just one notch below the SEC and B1G, but better than the ACC.   He's serious.  The only reason I want to keep in touch with any of our former conference mates is to see the look on their faces in about year 3 or 4 sans UT and ou when they realize that they're going to be stuck with Conference USA talent for the rest of their lives.

I think he’s more right than wrong.

Most of the remaining Big12 schools have never really recruited at an elite level. They might have grabbed a 4 stars or two on occasion but they mostly developed overlooked guys and load up on transfers.

Still they have a deal with FOX and ESPN so they’ll continue to have the third most exposure after the B1G/SEC.

If they get the 4C schools from the PAC they’ll have a great argument as the number 3 conference. ACC has more big time schools, but the B12 has more depth and more general fan support. If they somehow end up with Oregon and Washington then I think they would be a clear cut #3.

• Hook 'Em 1

What ideal home game number did CDC give in the virtual town hall? I think he said 8.

That’ll be tough sledding with 1 game in Dallas for eternity.

Regardless, Texas is going to need 2 guaranteed annual home games from their OOC schedule. So System school + Rice or the like. It’s not sexy, but it’s what they’ll have to do. 

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What ideal home game number did CDC give in the virtual town hall? I think he said 8.

That’ll be tough sledding with 1 game in Dallas for eternity.

Regardless, Texas is going to need 2 guaranteed annual home games from their OOC schedule. So System school + Rice or the like. It’s not sexy, but it’s what they’ll have to do. 

We only get 4 SEC home games every other year, right, with a 9-game league slate?