2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

33 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I realize it’s no surprise to this board, but Bobby threw cold water all over Nolan to Texas on the Andy Staples pod today. Basically said it’s a repeat of Bear Alexander for Texas.

Someone with a sub over there needs to tell Bobby to shut his fucking mouth about that. We're trying to drive aggy's price up and drain their resources. He's hurting that effort with this shit. The fear of Texas will open their checkbooks. 

• Prepare your anus 1

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

...what kinds of reasons?

Well, ok, unpopular opinion here. You establish a culture for a reason. Even the players support the standard, without being told. Because they are always competing for that starting role.

Sark rotates guys constantly. If Nolen puts out little effort, he gets downgraded in the rotation. You look at the tape on Sunday, tell Nolen he took the play off, and he is getting fewer snaps next week because the other guys want it more than he does. I don't know, I am not anything like a college football coach. Does it work? Can you rehab someone from being shitty to being a performer? I look at the A&M 22 class, only one player dominates and that's Connor Weigman.

But to me, with the caveat that you only want the best of the best (of the best. I know but talent of certain kinds cannot be replaced), well passing on massive talent because they are a risk reminds me too much of the late Mack Brown era. Talent wins championships. We play Georgia, OU, and Alabama next year. I mean, damn. It's also worth considering that if we don't take him, we play against him.

All of that said, if experience shows it's not likely to work, then fuck him.  

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

Well, ok, unpopular opinion here. You establish a culture for a reason. Even the players support the standard, without being told. Because they are always competing for that starting role.

Sark rotates guys constantly. If Nolen puts out little effort, he gets downgraded in the rotation. You look at the tape on Sunday, tell Nolen he took the play off, and he is getting fewer snaps next week because the other guys want it more than he does. I don't know, I am not anything like a college football coach. Does it work? Can you rehab someone from being shitty to being a performer? I look at the A&M 22 class, only one player dominates and that's Connor Weigman.

But to me, with the caveat that you only want the best of the best (of the best. I know but talent of certain kinds cannot be replaced), well passing on massive talent because they are a risk reminds me too much of the late Mack Brown era. Talent wins championships. We play Georgia, OU, and Alabama next year. I mean, damn. It's also worth considering that if we don't take him, we play against him.

Don’t play Bama next year. Do play Michigan. 

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

5db7f116-488b-466e-b614-6f6930132bc4_tex

Some tidbits from espn...

NCAA football transfer portal: 10 small-school sleepers - ESPN

College football transfer portal 2023: Latest updates, news - ESPN

Thor Griffith

Griffith is a rare talent on the defensive line with a state championship wrestling title. He was an unknown recruit out of New Hampshire who also played hockey in high school, which explains his quick change-of-direction skills in pursuit at 320 pounds. The high-motored defensive tackle posted 33.5 tackles for a loss in his career. His powerful frame, short-area quickness and upper-body strength reminds us of LSU defensive lineman Mekhi Wingo. Griffith's strength is off the charts. His reported 45 reps at 225 pounds on the bench press would have been tops for defensive tackles at last year's NFL combine.

Louisville, UCLA, California, Michigan State and Oregon State all offered Griffith over the past week. He has one year of eligibility remaining as a grad transfer.

Joey Slackman

Slackman was also an all-state wrestler and football player from the Northeast who slid under the radar coming from a small school in New York. That changed once he racked up 50 tackles (including 12 for loss) and four sacks. Slackman went to Penn for wrestling but made his way back to the gridiron and showcased his penetrating quickness from the mat while disrupting offensive plays.

Slackman has more than 20 Power 5 offers, including one from USC. Going from a Quaker to a Trojan would be a monumental jump, but Slackman does have uncommon size (6-foot-4, 300 pounds) and traits. He has one year of eligibility remaining as a grad transfer.

Akili Arnold

The Beavers also saw safety Akili Arnold, who had 60 tackles and two interceptions, officially enter the portal. Arnold’s brother, inside linebacker Easton Mascarenas-Arnold, also is set to enter the portal soon. Mascarenas-Arnold leads Oregon State with 107 tackles and added two interceptions and two sacks.

351 football players entered yesterday (All divisions) 1,550 entered since Dec. 4 2,737 entered since Nov. 26 Of the 2,737 athletes that have entered, 1,167 are FBS players

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, pacman said:

There are just over 11,000 scholarship football players in FBS football. We are going to end up, probably, with 15% in the portal. That works out to about 13 per team. If we just lose the guys we ought to that won’t play, and keep everyone we find interesting at the current time, that works out to 12-15 guys, depending upon how ready you are to move on from a rising RS sophomore or early entry sophomore that might be going into his 3rd spring in the program. I’m fine with losing any of those guys who haven’t made it into the 2 deep after 3 springs in the program. Thats probably something like 15 or so players- so again, that seems to be the magic number. 
put another way/ if you take 25 scholarship guys 4 years in a row, to make it to the 85 limit you need to run off (or have guys go 3 and pro) 15 per year. So, yeah, that’s the number every year you’ve got to cut, more or less. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Duane Moore said:

I think Bobby on one of the pods yesterday said that 3000+ players had entered so far. 

That counts all divisions. I don’t really care what’s going on below fbs, do you?  It’s pretty irrelevant to us. 
I counted 12 guys just now whose bags I’d actively pack (not because I dislike them, just didn’t work out). We are at 4 now, I would guess we get to 10, easily, and beyond that we won’t be fortunate enough in all likelihood not to lose 1 or 2 we wish we hadn’t. I didn’t count any of the freshmen or redshirt freshman offensive linemen, but taking 10 the last two closes and probably 4 or 5 this class there is no doubt 4 or 5 that will need to eventually move on. Way too early for me to tell which is which. 

• Like 1

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

That counts all divisions. I don’t really care what’s going on below fbs, do you?  It’s pretty irrelevant to us. 
I counted 12 guys just now whose bags I’d actively pack (not because I dislike them, just didn’t work out). We are at 4 now, I would guess we get to 10, easily, and beyond that we won’t be fortunate enough in all likelihood not to lose 1 or 2 we wish we hadn’t. I didn’t count any of the freshmen or redshirt freshman offensive linemen, but taking 10 the last two closes and probably 4 or 5 this class there is no doubt 4 or 5 that will need to eventually move on. Way too early for me to tell which is which. 

I didn’t hear/remember that qualifier on what he said, my mistake. I otherwise completely agree with your point about the benefits of churning the bottom of the roster to raise the floor. 

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

I didn’t hear/remember that qualifier on what he said, my mistake. I otherwise completely agree with your point about the benefits of churning the bottom of the roster to raise the floor. 

He didn’t differentiate. I saw it in the article I was quoted that was spoilered. Basically the number was so high I was like- that’s 30% of the NCAA- that can’t be right/doesn’t make sense. 
taken in that context if the number hits 1500 or 1800 that’s not unreasonable now, in my opinion. 

• Hook 'Em 1

who wants to bet we see an article from Looch in the next week that talks about how A&M is "getting back to the basics" and "focusing on players from Texas" after having Chappell (PA), Diggs (NJ), Bisontis (NJ), Max + Jake Johnson (GA), LT Overton (AL), Gilbert (LA), Nolen (TN), Cottrell (FL) all enter the portal?

20231019_160824.jpg

interestingly, 247 doesn't show Stewart as in the portal. wonder if they talked him out of it - someone should ask Bobby and co about this and if he backed out at the last min.

Edited by NoName
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

In a world where all you sacrifice is time and a roster spot, this entirely makes sense.

I think the issue with Nolen is that it has been said here that he'll be looking for a LOT of NIL wherever he goes.  That both is a bad look within the team, if a lazy, low-effort guy is getting paid, but also ties up funds from other priorities.

You can take a high talent risk/project, but I'm not sure you can take an expensive one.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

In a world where all you sacrifice is time and a roster spot, this entirely makes sense.

I think the issue with Nolen is that it has been said here that he'll be looking for a LOT of NIL wherever he goes.  That both is a bad look within the team, if a lazy, low-effort guy is getting paid, but also ties up funds from other priorities.

You can take a high talent risk/project, but I'm not sure you can take an expensive one.

Yeah, if it's his draft year, and we can make him a superstar, but all he wants to do is bitch about NIL money rather than being in a program where he can get disciplined, improve technique, and play in big games that put him at the top of the draft boards, then he can move along. But that is kind of internet speculation, we don't really know. 

NFL money>>>>>NIL money, and it's not close.

Chip Brown, Horns 247

image.thumb.png.f173790539af85fcb3708b69e7ca7e96.png

image.thumb.png.c3ffe061e184d255bbc9158ea09f1897.png

COULD MITCHELL RETURN TO TEXAS IN 2024?

I’ll believe this when I see it, but a source close to the situation said Adonai Mitchell, who has 51 catches for 813 yards and a team-leading 10 touchdowns, is giving consideration to returning to Texas next season, in part, because the 2024 NFL Draft class is expected to be loaded at receiver.

Most are projecting the top of the 2024 receiver draft class to include:

— Ohio State's Marvin Harrison Jr. (6-4, 205, Jr.; 67 receptions for 1,211 yards and 14 touchdowns)

— LSU's Malik Nabers (6-0, 195, Jr.; 86 receptions for 1,546 yards and 14 touchdowns) and Brian Thomas Jr. (6-4, 205, Jr.; 60 receptions for 1,079 yards and 15 touchdowns)

— Washington's Rome Odunze (6-3, 201, Jr.; 81 receptions for 1,428 yards and 13 touchdowns)

— Florida State's Keon Coleman (6-4, 215, Jr.; 50 receptions for 658 yards and 11 touchdowns)

Mitchell has only one drop this entire season.

Every scout I’ve talked to believes Mitchell’s skill set (length, catch radius, contested catch ability and straight-line speed) projects him to be selected anywhere from the first to the third round. Those same scouts believe Harrison is a high-level first-round pick and they project Nabers, Thomas, Odunze and Coleman to be first or second-round selections.

The question is if Mitchell returns to Texas, could he elevate himself into a sure-fire first-round draft pick?

It just takes one team to fall in love with you and if Mitchell tests well, he could end up being a first-round draft pick in 2024.

(The NFL thought highly of receivers who played in Steve Sarkisian’s offenses at Alabama in 2019 and 2020. Henry Ruggs III and Jerry Jeudy were first-round picks in 2020, selections which were followed by Jaylen Waddle and DeVonta Smith going in the first round in 2021).

Several sources close to the team said Mitchell deciding to return to Texas would be a surprise. Those same sources certainly expect junior Xavier Worthy (73 catches for 969 yards and five touchdowns) to make himself eligible for the draft by the underclassmen deadline of Jan. 15.

We’ll see.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Chip Brown, Horns 247

image.thumb.png.f173790539af85fcb3708b69e7ca7e96.png

image.thumb.png.c3ffe061e184d255bbc9158ea09f1897.png

COULD MITCHELL RETURN TO TEXAS IN 2024?

I’ll believe this when I see it, but a source close to the situation said Adonai Mitchell, who has 51 catches for 813 yards and a team-leading 10 touchdowns, is giving consideration to returning to Texas next season, in part, because the 2024 NFL Draft class is expected to be loaded at receiver.

Most are projecting the top of the 2024 receiver draft class to include:

— Ohio State's Marvin Harrison Jr. (6-4, 205, Jr.; 67 receptions for 1,211 yards and 14 touchdowns)

— LSU's Malik Nabers (6-0, 195, Jr.; 86 receptions for 1,546 yards and 14 touchdowns) and Brian Thomas Jr. (6-4, 205, Jr.; 60 receptions for 1,079 yards and 15 touchdowns)

— Washington's Rome Odunze (6-3, 201, Jr.; 81 receptions for 1,428 yards and 13 touchdowns)

— Florida State's Keon Coleman (6-4, 215, Jr.; 50 receptions for 658 yards and 11 touchdowns)

Mitchell has only one drop this entire season.

Every scout I’ve talked to believes Mitchell’s skill set (length, catch radius, contested catch ability and straight-line speed) projects him to be selected anywhere from the first to the third round. Those same scouts believe Harrison is a high-level first-round pick and they project Nabers, Thomas, Odunze and Coleman to be first or second-round selections.

The question is if Mitchell returns to Texas, could he elevate himself into a sure-fire first-round draft pick?

It just takes one team to fall in love with you and if Mitchell tests well, he could end up being a first-round draft pick in 2024.

(The NFL thought highly of receivers who played in Steve Sarkisian’s offenses at Alabama in 2019 and 2020. Henry Ruggs III and Jerry Jeudy were first-round picks in 2020, selections which were followed by Jaylen Waddle and DeVonta Smith going in the first round in 2021).

Several sources close to the team said Mitchell deciding to return to Texas would be a surprise. Those same sources certainly expect junior Xavier Worthy (73 catches for 969 yards and five touchdowns) to make himself eligible for the draft by the underclassmen deadline of Jan. 15.

We’ll see.

No way he comes back.

The way we spread the ball around, his stats are unlikely to be massively bigger and his measurables are his measurables. Test well and he can be a first rounder. 4 WR were picked in 1st round last year. A few other good ones are not a deterrent and he's never getting to top 10 pick status like Harrison or Julio Jones or whoever with another season.

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.