2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No. Not because I don't want to do so. It's probably a combo of everything you mentioned and then some. I just know that there's a ton of interest and the guys they're bringing in are guys at the top of a lot of lists. It probably helps that Texas isn't in need of QBs or TBs from the portal. The price of poker is higher on those two roles versus any other.

Obviously I loved Bijan and our history of great running backs, but when does the college market catch up to the NFL? Yes Brooks is a talented back but we lost one of the best running backs of the past decade and our run game didn't miss a beat because our OL got better at it. To me it would have to be a Bijan level proven talent at the P5 level to get into a crazy war for a transfer.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Huckleberry said:

Obviously I loved Bijan and our history of great running backs, but when does the college market catch up to the NFL? Yes Brooks is a talented back but we lost one of the best running backs of the past decade and our run game didn't miss a beat because our OL got better at it. To me it would have to be a Bijan level proven talent at the P5 level to get into a crazy war for a transfer.

Those guys don't exist, and even if they did, Texas is almost plug and play in the running game right now. Another year of development from the OL and it will be plug and play.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I'm not sure that it will. Many RBs will be (materially) plug-and-play in favorable schemes or when accompanying elite OLs, but an elite RB at the college level can completely change the trajectory of an already good team. In the NFL, they're worried about durability over multiple contracts, and thus don't want to commit big money long term. With a finite number of years in college, especially with it only being one (maybe two) year assuming we are discussing a RB transfer, I just don't see the market variables playing out in the same fashion as the NFL.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

Not yet. We need you to draft a Sark speech that would convince the portal players to come to Longhornland.

Here's what ChatGPT has to say on the matter. I love the bits about NIL at the end haha

Spoiler

Ladies and gentlemen, players of unparalleled talent, esteemed coaches, and honored guests,

Thank you for gathering here today as we embark on an exciting journey towards the future of Longhorn football. Today, I stand before you not just as the head coach of the Texas Longhorns but as a passionate advocate for the potential and promise that Longhornland holds for each and every one of you.

In the world of college football, we are presented with a unique opportunity to shape destinies, to carve legacies, and to build a tradition that transcends generations. Longhornland is not just a place; it's a commitment to excellence, a commitment to character, and a commitment to becoming the best versions of ourselves on and off the field.

To the remarkable talents in this room, you are not just recruits; you are architects of the future of Longhorn football. Each step you take, each play you execute, contributes to the tapestry of a storied history that echoes through the halls of our esteemed program. The legacy you leave will not only be etched in the record books but in the hearts of Longhorn fans who bleed burnt orange.

I understand that choosing a university is a monumental decision, one that requires careful consideration of not just athletic opportunities but the overall environment that fosters personal and academic growth. Longhornland is not just about the pursuit of victory on Saturdays; it's about the pursuit of excellence in the classroom, in the community, and in life beyond football.

As the head coach of the Texas Longhorns, I pledge to you a commitment to your development as athletes, scholars, and, most importantly, as individuals of character. Our coaching staff is not just focused on winning games; we are committed to winning in life by nurturing an environment that values integrity, discipline, and resilience.

Longhornland is more than a program; it's a family. It's a place where you will find mentors, teammates, and lifelong friends who will support you through the highs and lows of your journey. Together, we will build a culture that fosters unity, accountability, and a relentless pursuit of greatness.

I invite you to join us in creating a legacy that transcends the gridiron, a legacy that defines not just your time at Longhornland but the impact you make on the world beyond these walls. The eyes of the Longhorn nation are upon you, not just as athletes but as leaders who will carry the torch of tradition into a future filled with promise and potential.

Choose Longhornland, not just for what it is today, but for what it can become with your talent, your dedication, and your indomitable spirit. Together, let's create a chapter in Longhorn history that will be remembered for generations to come.

And let's not forget the exciting opportunities that await you off the field. Longhornland is not just a place to excel in football but also a platform to maximize your potential in the burgeoning world of Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL). Here in Longhorn country, we are committed to helping you navigate the ever-evolving landscape of NIL, providing you with the tools and resources to secure not just victories on the field but lucrative partnerships and endorsements that reflect your unique brand and identity.

Join us in Longhornland, where success isn't just measured in touchdowns and tackles but also in the financial opportunities that accompany your athletic prowess. Together, let's make history, both on the field and in the realm of NIL, ensuring that your time at Longhornland is not just a chapter in your athletic journey but a transformative experience that sets the stage for a prosperous and fulfilling future.

Hook 'em, and let the journey begin!

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

I'm not sure that it will. Many RBs will be (materially) plug-and-play in favorable schemes or when accompanying elite OLs, but an elite RB at the college level can completely change the trajectory of an already good team. In the NFL, they're worried about durability over multiple contracts, and thus don't want to commit big money long term. With a finite number of years in college, especially with it only being one (maybe two) year assuming we are discussing a RB transfer, I just don't see the market variables playing out in the same fashion as the NFL.

The durability is a very small part of it even if the teams talk about that to placate fans. The reality is it started with the Broncos churning out one 1,000 yard rusher after another by picking up backs off the scrap heap. In the NFL you're looking at 10-15 yards per game that an elite running back will add in value over a replacement. Not an average back, a replacement level back.

I agree that it's higher in college because of worse defenders on average along of course with the higher player population necessarily lowering replacement level, but the value just isn't there. Moving from average to elite at running back isn't worth the squeeze if the effort is approaching the same as doing the same at QB.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

It's a good question and one I've asked myself.

I don't think there are that many similarities at TB between the CFB realm and the NFL that ultimate merit the discounting of the position at the CFB level. There's a notion of plug and play, but only for truly elite OL programs, I think.

There's not a lot to worry about regarding wear and tear - a TB breaking down by 28 years old is an NFL problem. Not at the Bijan level, which is generational talent, but I do think there are elite (versus the field that year) TBs every year and if one enters the portal, most programs have to be interested. Etienne is earmarked for Georgia, but if he wasn't, I doubt there'd be more than 5 schools that wouldn't at least reach out. Texas just happens to be one of those schools right now that wouldn't reach out. 

Frankly, the worse the OL, the more desperate a program probably gets in the portal for TBs because there just aren't enough quality OLs entering the portal, and when they do, everyone is going after them. 

2 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I don't know when I originally went on the "stop worrying about the fucking numbers" rant, but a conversation with someone about Hyphen probably spurred it. I was talking to a buddy and LTG had resurfaced as a guy that they might take late.

Me: "Why is Texas making a move for Hyphen? I thought they were off of him."

Friend: "I don't think Texas is going to worry about the numbers much while Sarkisian is running things. They're taking him because they can and they like his attitude."

Me: "Okay, fine, but does that guy ever make the 2 deep? I don't see it."

Friend: "Maybe he's great at special teams. Why are we talking about the last guy in the class? Who gives a shit?"

Okay then. Good luck to Hyphen, in any event. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Has anyone confirmed from the Texas side that they're seriously interested in this guy? He has injury risk, damned good WRs are all over the portal, and Texas has a ton of options. I'm not saying they're not putting an effort in for him, but I'd like to see someone credible confirming that.

He played with Diamante Tucker Dorsey at James Madison, so I think a lot of the backchanneling has been from that. 

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

We won't be as good up the middle next year but if we are able to add Moore to Simmons along with what we've already got there's not going to be a lot of comfortable QBs next year.

Florida State has shown what you can do with elite edge play, and it is arguably a lot more chaotic for the offense than elite DT play. 

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

Backburner guy is what I have heard. He is the floor of our WR search, Purdue guy is number 1 for WRs in the portal currently

11 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Gerry (IT) said this morning you'd need a stopwatch to time how quickly Sark would be on the phone with Golding if he went into the portal.

Purdue kid is now second on the board for WR already in the portal

• Hook 'Em 9

48 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Gerry (IT) said this morning you'd need a stopwatch to time how quickly Sark would be on the phone with Golding if he went into the portal.

A ton of talent but still very raw. I hope we take 3 receivers to be on the safe side. He had six drops through the first 3 games this year.

I think Raleek Brown and Golden are both high-upside weapons, but we need two accomplished receivers to go along with them. 

1 minute ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

A ton of talent but still very raw. I hope we take 3 receivers to be on the safe side. He had six drops through the first 3 games this year.

I think Raleek Brown and Golden are both high-upside weapons, but we need two accomplished receivers to go along with them. 

If you take 3 guys with skins on the wall you’re gonna lose a young guy you don’t want to lose.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

Yes - and then didn't have another drop for the rest of the year.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Yeah, had a good sophomore season, but disappeared this year. Not sure he's worth going after for Texas, but an interesting portal addition nonetheless.

Ja'Corey Brooks was injured all year, shoulder. Not a take anyway, but just fyi

Edited by pacman

13 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Elic Ayomanor  (should he enter or be "tampered with")
Golden

Had to Google him and am now aware of the terrifically named city of Medicine Hat, Alberta.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/72/Medicine_Hat_Valley.png

All those oil shuttle flights down from Calgary would make it easy on his family.

Edited by texifornia

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.