2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

— Morice Blackwell was mentioned above. Perhaps his decision is dependent on what Gbenda does. With Anthony Hill possibly playing Mike, Blackwell would have more reps open to him at Will. 

If it comes down to Blackwell or Gbenda coming back, am I crazy for hoping it’s Blackwell?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

If it comes down to Blackwell or Gbenda coming back, am I crazy for hoping it’s Blackwell?

Give me Gbenda. Blackwell is still a tweener despite the physical gifts.

Hasn’t it been mentioned that Trey Moore could profile some to the Strong side LB spot that Blackwell currently has?

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Texas DL's grades for this season:  Trill is in that third tier after Murphy/Sweat and then Collins.

image.thumb.png.2b15a15c987c3c0c43fd0f261275a898.png

What was Caldwell's PFF grade? 

This makes sense if we land Caldwell and keep Broughton. Broughton and Carter seem like similar players. Don't think we need to allocate resources to keep both those guys assuming we also land Caldwell. 

I think Carter is who he is. He wasn’t going to be a 30 snaps a game guy. He was a rotational piece.
[mention=510]Hiphopopotamos[/mention] what did his PFF grades look like? His production market share that Dunlap does for defenders was ranked 23rd on the defense and in the sub-replacement level category.

Uh he was already playing 15-20 snaps a game and that likely goes up. I mean, the reason the interior DL has been so good over the past couple years is that they have been able to go five or six deep with competent players like that. He’d have been your second or third best returning DL depending on where you slot Broughton.

I think Texas can navigate it, especially if they can get Cadwell in, but you’d have liked to get him back. I trust that Bo Davis will have a couple of these younger guys up to speed by next fall though.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I love me some Mo Blackwell, but he's probably best as a core special teamer on this team. Too bad he couldn't put on more weight.

Gbenda is nice if the lightbulb continues to come on for him. He could even be draftable next year if he makes a similar leap from last year.

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

What was Caldwell's PFF grade? 

This makes sense if we land Caldwell and keep Broughton. Broughton and Carter seem like similar players. Don't think we need to allocate resources to keep both those guys assuming we also land Caldwell. 

I think Caldwell is a game 1 starter. Trill more rotational. 

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Uh he was already playing 15-20 snaps a game and that likely goes up. I mean, the reason the interior DL has been so good over the past couple years is that they have been able to go five or six deep with competent players like that. He’d have been your second or third best returning DL depending on where you slot Broughton.

I think Texas can navigate it, especially if they can get Cadwell in, but you’d have liked to get him back. I trust that Bo Davis will have a couple of these younger guys up to speed by next fall though.

Carter and Broughton are almost identical based on the PFF grades and Broughton played more snaps. I'm pretty sure that Caldwell is also in the tier above Carter and Broughton (need confirmation from @Hiphopopotamos). 

Assuming we land Caldwell, I don't think resource wise it made much sense to retain Carter. 

Starters: Collins and Caldwell. Then back ups will be Broughton, Mitchell, and some other young guys. That's 3 really experienced guys getting most of the reps. 

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

If we can trade out Carter for Caldwell, we're good. I remember seeing Carter get planted by double teams a few too many times this year.

If he wants to play more snaps, there's no way you can guarantee him that. 

Carter and Broughton are almost identical based on the PFF grades and Broughton played more snaps. I'm pretty sure that Caldwell is also in the tier above Carter and Broughton (need confirmation from [mention=510]Hiphopopotamos[/mention]). 
Assuming we land Caldwell, I don't think resource wise it made much sense to retain Carter. 
Starters: Collins and Caldwell. Then back ups will be Broughton, Mitchell, and some other young guys. That's 3 really experienced guys getting most of the reps. 

If we can trade out Carter for Caldwell, we're good. I remember seeing Carter get planted by double teams a few too many times this year.
If he wants to play more snaps, there's no way you can guarantee him that. 

lol we’re all saying the same basic thing. It works out fine if you get Caldwell in. DL is a little thinner than you’d like if you don’t.

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

lol we’re all saying the same basic thing. It works out fine if you get Caldwell in. DL is a little thinner than you’d like if you don’t.

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Probably not best idea to pencil in Caldwell at the moment. Just assume we're going to rely on freshman DT and Sydir.

I can’t remember which autist was on here lamenting the DL situation for 2024 during the spring and summer, just over and over and over. At that time, I said it was likely that Texas was going to have at least one freshman in the rotation for 2024 and they were fine with that. 

As I understand it, they’re expecting that at least one of the signed DTs is going to get meaningful snaps. The guys in this cycle are in better shape than Mitchell was and used to the climate. Money for DTs in the portal may not be there because there are a lot of mouths being fed and some of those will be incoming players that need to produce. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Here are the DL grades for Texas and Houston. 

image.thumb.jpeg.520adfa937ecc326b243e632295ee91c.jpeg

Do you know the numbers for Sweat and Murphy last year? They both made significant jumps, which makes me wonder how Collins and Caldwell this season compare to Sweat and Murphy last season.

Collins, Broughton, Caldwell and the youngsters would probably be fine at DT. No one should expect 2 All-Americans again but that could still be a good group. I'm excited to see what Bledsoe can do. I'm not ready to pencil Sydir in but maybe he's physically ready by then. We'll see.

At WR - could Dorian Singer or Mario Williams be on the radar? Both former big time transfers that had disappointing years at USC.

I'm still wondering wtf we're doing at Safety. If Crawford and Thompson leave and Mukuba plays nickel, we're down to Williams, Taafe, true Freshmen, and maybe a converted corner or two (who knows if they'll be able to pick it up or not). That's scary.

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Listening to OTF from this morning.... god damn they were absolutely crushed by, check notes, Trill Carter leaving. "Absolutely devastating" - Burton. Pull yourselves together. He's leaving for a reason.

Carter was Meh at best but I will premise that by saying he didn't see the field that much or maybe he was so ordinary I didn't notice him. Most people complain about Collins but he appeared to be way ahead of Carter.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Ryan Watts remains likely to stay with the stipulation he’s open to playing safety.

4 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I'm still wondering wtf we're doing at Safety. If Crawford and Thompson leave and Mukuba plays nickel, we're down to Williams, Taafe, true Freshmen, and maybe a converted corner or two (who knows if they'll be able to pick it up or not). That's scary.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Collins, Broughton, Caldwell and the youngsters would probably be fine at DT. No one should expect 2 All-Americans again but that could still be a good group. I'm excited to see what Bledsoe can do. I'm not ready to pencil Sydir in but maybe he's physically ready by then. We'll see.

At WR - could Dorian Singer or Mario Williams be on the radar? Both former big time transfers that had disappointing years at USC.

Watts is moving to his natural position of Safety next to Williams. 

• Drool 1

6 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Carter was Meh at best but I will premise that by saying he didn't see the field that much or maybe he was so ordinary I didn't notice him. Most people complain about Collins but he appeared to be way ahead of Carter.

only 5 DT saw the field vs Washington, he was 1 of them. Sweat, Murphy, Carter, VB and Collins. dont have snap count info

9 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Two deep of Williams, Watts, Taaffe, and I guess Filsaime. Maybe Jordan.

• Rage+1 1

26 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Listening to OTF from this morning.... god damn they were absolutely crushed by, check notes, Trill Carter leaving. "Absolutely devastating" - Burton. Pull yourselves together. He's leaving for a reason.

Bobby's constant hand wringing about the SEC gets tiresome.   

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I can’t remember which autist was on here lamenting the DL situation for 2024 during the spring and summer, just over and over and over. At that time, I said it was likely that Texas was going to have at least one freshman in the rotation for 2024 and they were fine with that. 

As I understand it, they’re expecting that at least one of the signed DTs is going to get meaningful snaps. The guys in this cycle are in better shape than Mitchell was and used to the climate. Money for DTs in the portal may not be there because there are a lot of mouths being fed and some of those will be incoming players that need to produce. 

don't underestimate the bolded - it was a real factor with Mitchell.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Drummond said:

Bobby's constant hand wringing about the SEC gets tiresome.   

I don't think you quite understand how much better the SEC is in the trenches top to bottom vs just a few teams from big 12. 

From just 2024 recruiting class alone 13/16 teams rank in the top 25 and all 16 are in the top 50 including Vandy for the 2024 recruiting class.

Team Talent Ranks according to 247:

1. Bama
2. Georgia
4. Texas A&M
6. Texas
7. LSU
9. OU
15. Florida
16. Tennessee
18. Auburn
22. South Carolina
23. Ole Miss
25. Missouri
29. Miss St
31. Kentucky
32. Arkansas
58. Vanderbilt

19. TCU
40. Tech
46. Baylor
49. Houston
50. WVU
51. Cincy
53. UCF
55. Oklahoma St
60. Iowa St
62. Kansas
68. Kansas St
74. BYU

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Like 1

Yes, this is my first year watching football.

Next year we will play one team with a better line than us (Georgia)

We dominated both sides of the ball against bama.

The aggy's vaunted Dline is a combo of never lived up to the hype, not there anymore and decent.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just now, Mr. Drummond said:

The aggy's vaunted Dline is a combo of never lived up to the hype, not there anymore and decent.

You clearly forgot about Vandy, Mississippi State, Arkansas and Kentucky.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

Do you know the numbers for Sweat and Murphy last year? They both made significant jumps, which makes me wonder how Collins and Caldwell this season compare to Sweat and Murphy last season.

Here are the 2022 grades for Texas DL:

image.thumb.png.492de9969a06f70ba7bf7e2d18c83c82.png

And here are where they ranked nationally (2022):

B Murphy:  29th

T Sweat:  52nd

A Collins:  250th

• Hook 'Em 7

3 minutes ago, Mr. Drummond said:

We will be playing teams far talented that put out far more NFL players than our current conference. There is a huge difference in having to play 1-3 teams like that a year vs most of your conference schedule being like that. 

The top end of the SEC has 2-3 more teams than most other conferences. That will be more challenging and result in harder schedules.

Outside of that, how is the middle of the pack and lower end different from any other conferences? I watched BYU kick Arkansas’ ass up and down the field this year. Kansas should have beat them in a bowl game last year. Are Mississippi State and South Carolina better programs than Kansas State? 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

We will be playing teams far talented that put out far more NFL players than our current conference. There is a huge difference in having to play 1-3 teams like that a year vs most of your conference schedule being like that. 

Found Bobby's surly handle

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.