2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

12 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I thought he did pretty well for us at CB this year tbh. UW beat him with some insane throws/catches but Watts was a starter all year for a reason. Not sure why we'd show him the door at CB unless he wants too much money.

The big issue with Watts is he's always banged up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

IT’s Joe Cook on Charles Wright:

Wright was one of the indispensable play-signalers during the 2023 season…”

II think we can find another guy to wear a fishnet tank top.

Good luck, Charles. Grab some PT, you’ll always have your UT degree and all those connections. 

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I thought he did pretty well for us at CB this year tbh. UW beat him with some insane throws/catches but Watts was a starter all year for a reason. Not sure why we'd show him the door at CB unless he wants too much money.

I thought he did pretty well. Obviously he held down the starting position this year. My comment was more towards his optimal position at the next level. 

14 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

This is interesting, it says he's a Walk-on... was he taking a scholarship? I didn't know walk-ons had to delcare.

Walk-ons enter the transfer portal like everyone else.  That’s why the total numbers for the portal are inflated - they include walk-ons.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

The reason was a lack of talent at the position. Went 1/4 at DB in 2022, then brought in some good guys in 2023. All but Muhammad needed time to bake. 2024 has guys like Black, Wilson, and Mack who are all pretty talented. Black will play some this year, and could take over for/keep rotating with Brooks in 2025.

We had Watts playing out of necessity, now things have changed. He's solid, but we can do better at that position. 

Would have been interesting to see how he looked at safety with a full offseason of development, but if he's not interested then that's too bad.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Atticus said:

The reason was a lack of talent at the position. Went 1/4 at DB in 2022, then brought in some good guys in 2023. All but Muhammad needed time to bake. 2024 has guys like Black, Wilson, and Mack who are all pretty talented. Black will play some this year, and could take over for/keep rotating with Brooks in 2025.

We had Watts playing out of necessity, now things have changed. He's solid, but we can do better at that position. 

Would have been interesting to see how he looked at safety with a full offseason of development, but if he's not interested then that's too bad.

The big thing with Watts is he was injured against most of the good passing offenses this year. 

Didn't play vs OU (#6 passing offense), didn't play vs Oklahoma State (#25 passing offense), and didn't play vs Kansas (#54 passing offense). Beyond availability, the reason he looked good for the most part is because he was never available against the good teams. 

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The big thing with Watts is he was injured against most of the good passing offenses this year. 

Didn't play vs OU (#6 passing offense), didn't play vs Oklahoma State (#25 passing offense), and didn't play vs Kansas (#54 passing offense). Beyond availability, the reason he looked good for the most part is because he was never available against the good teams. 

W Def seemed to target whoever he was guarding with zero fucks all game

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

It’s always interesting what the motivation is of a third/fourth string QB. Isn’t Wright a local guy? 

He got his degree already. So go transfer to Sam Houston State or whatever and enjoy the football aspect for a year.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

It’s always interesting what the motivation is of a third/fourth string QB. Isn’t Wright a local guy? 

Yes - Austin High.  I expect he'll go somewhere close, at a lower level, where he may have a chance to compete for a starting spot.

Sam Houston would welcome him with 'Arms Wide Open'. 

1 hour ago, Vermin said:

See the line where the sky meets the sea?
It calls me
And no one knows how far it goes
If the wind in my sail on the sea stays behind me
One day I'll know, how far I'll go

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

I hate that I know what this is. 

And I hate you for getting this song stuck in my head for the next 24 hours. Gonna have to play the Cars 3 sound track for my kids on the way home just to get a less annoying Disney song stuck in my head. 

• Haha 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

He got his degree already. So go transfer to Sam Houston State or whatever and enjoy the football aspect for a year.

Or go be a backup somewhere and get a grad degree? That’s not the worst idea if that option is available to him. 

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

For all of Watts faults - mostly a lack of speed - he was the best run defender at the position and he was more than willing to scrape paint on his helmet (which makes his unwillingness to try safety all the more puzzling).

Which makes his whiff on Bryce Young all the more perplexing.

• Rage+1 3

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

For all of Watts faults - mostly a lack of speed - he was the best run defender at the position and he was more than willing to scrape paint on his helmet (which makes his unwillingness to try safety all the more puzzling).

Yeah, but I think that's partly why he was always banged up. Dude is made of glass. 

Which is why he likely just wants to be a cover corner and avoid contact. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I have no problem with Watts at corner. It’s our safety combo of Taffe and Thompson that has to be upgraded. That’s with all due respect to the former walk on and not with respect to Thompson who couldn’t even show effort in a fucking playoff game. 

• Hook 'Em 4

17 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Yeah, but I think that's partly why he was always banged up. Dude is made of glass. 

Which is why he likely just wants to be a cover corner and avoid contact. 

Where did this narrative of him being hurt all the time come from? This is literally the only year where he's missed games due to injury.

Played in 11/14 (10/14 if you remove Tech) and 13/13 last year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Watts had about as good a coverage as one can have on the receptions I’m thinking of. It was just minor details that kept them from being exceptional. One being the superstar Penis QB.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Where did this narrative of him being hurt all the time come from? This is literally the only year where he's missed games due to injury.

Played in 11/14 (10/14 if you remove Tech) and 13/13 last year. 

Watts didn't miss any games last year but he was constantly banged up in games where he would have to come out for series. 

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Aren’t we supposedly going to re-engage with Staes once Sanders announces?

3 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

That’s what Bobby has been saying. 

Does that mean Sates is a soft commitment to Tenn? I always thought the talk about Tex pursuing Staes after Sanders makes his decision was weird becuz he already committed to another program.

• Fuck You 3

3 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Does that mean Sates is a soft commitment to Tenn? I always thought the talk about Tex pursuing Staes after Sanders makes his decision was weird becuz he already committed to another program.

So?

Neyor was committed to Tenn and we stayed on him 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Nahlin 

Here’s a shift, Ryan Watts will not be returning to the program.

We’re unsure if he’s going to enter the the portal or go the professional route.

Bullets are flying fast, ITers.

Thank God Sark learned the concept of "Churning the Roster" every year from his NFL experience (& I guess from Saban too) becuz him & the staff are definitely making tough decisions after every season & aspring ball.

• Fuck You 3

Damn bro, you're such a beating. It's like explaining recruiting to my 7 yr old nephew, every damn day.

It's not that hard to put two and two together. Yes, he's a soft-commit if he's talking to other schools.
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

A lot will need to change for Kirkland to stick. I think the others are well-liked, with some maturity issues for one of them, but if another school is willing to offer significant money to any of this group, it is highly unlikely that Texas can match. Folks really like Goosby and Chatman, I believe.

Bobby Burton OL comments last Sunday:

Trevor Goosby and Jaydon Chatman are fighting to backup Banks at LT right now.  Chatman may also be able to play on the interior.  Kirkland has been injured a bit this year and fallen behind Goosby, Chatman, and Stroh.

Kirkland and Andre Cojoe are a little behind right now...

Edited by LTtxfan
messed up
  • Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

So?

Neyor was committed to Tenn and we stayed on him 

Yeah, but Neyor was an in-state kid coming back home + reportedly Tex NIL-whipped him from Tenn.

• Fuck You 4

3 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

I’m guessing Malik Muhammad has passed him up at CB and so has Brooks.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.