2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

34 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That was the point of the joke.

It really hit home to me when I was flipping through, and a Houston Classic Rock station started playing Nirvana and Submline. 

Folks need to accept that we're old. Don't be that old motherfucker in his 50's wearing Ed Hardy and only lifting upper body muscle groups so they can look bad ass wearing some affliction jeans because they think that makes them still look young and cool. 

Yes, I realize that about 30% of this board is now probably doing the fucking eye side to side gif. As they should. 

Hey fuck you guy 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I was at an airport gate watching the Oilers blow that game to the bills, after following the game on the radio getting to the airport, and the pain will never truly go away, so this hits close to him. 

But I'm glad I don't have to shave my back. 

That day was the beginning of the end for me as a fan of the NFL. You could feel the game going on tilt in the 3rd Q, early, and I watched my dad start doing math on what it would take to escape with a win when it was either 35-10 or 38-10. The Bills had scored and recovered an onside kick. He started begging Pardee to run the ball. Begging!

I had a friend old enough to drive who came and picked me up to go to the batting cages after the game was over. My father sat in his chair, staring at the post game with his chin in his left hand, resting on the arm rest and one of his legs crossed. We came back like 3 hours later and I walked into the living room. The tv was off but my father looked frozen in the same position as when I'd left. He didn't say another thing the rest of the day/evening. 

Then the fight started about getting a new stadium between Adams and Lanier. The Oilers choked again against Joe Montana in the playoffs. Then they were gone. Then the Texans passed on Derrick Johnson and then Vince Young. I watched more NFL and Houston NFL football in 2023 than I had in the last decade combined. Maybe there's hope, but that Bills game may have really broken me. We'll see. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

Hey, I’m only 47. I can still wear Ed Hardy for a few years, right?

I'm saying this as a 27 year old who never saw a world in which Ed Hardy was cool so imo the question is whether you're too young to be wearing it not too old

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

I'm saying this as a 27 year old who never saw a world in which Ed Hardy was cool so imo the question is whether you're too young to be wearing it not too old

I'm a 44 year old who never saw a world in which Ed Hardy was cool. That was also part of the joke. 

1 minute ago, Fondren & Main said:

I didn’t realize Ed Hardy was still relevant.  I thought that was finished pre-2010 when I was still in college.  Holy shit.  What the fuck is going on here!?  Did everyone just say fuck it and do drugs today since dry January ended!?

See above.

image.png.0d9e690fe29c4b8dd7941c4cbf9d161f.png

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Josef Pwag said:

I saw Sublime with Rome this summer. I was drunk on a blanket at an outdoor venue. Rome Ramirez made some comment about the people in their 40s & 50s in the crowd. The early 20s kid setting right next to me booed. I looked at him and said, "These songs came out before you were born. Why are you here? Is there any artist from your lifetime that doesn't suck?" He had a sense of humor about things, which is good, because he could have knocked my old ass out if things got nasty. The moral of the story is this, I'll never get over the Oilers playoff collapse in Buffalo in 1993. All of the overpriced drinks at retro concerts in the world won't fix things. So, I'm alone. Always will be. I work a bit. I eat a lot of Chinese food. I listen to some podcasts. I'm just biding my time, occasionally shaving my back, waiting for the heart attack that puts me out of my misery. 

image.png.a8df8efe147ee2ed855e9cde48ab7a44.png

or 

image.png.7beb20a489de8b678884a246f9b324f5.png

Edited by Redneck Mutha
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Sorry to interrupt the weird circle jerk but are we getting anymore transfers or is Michigan holding onto everyone?

Anyone hitting the portal now would not be good for Texas. It's not like Texas could enroll them for the spring at this point. So someone entering the portal now would be heading to the west coast. No thanks. There will be serious efforts in April to land major help on the DL.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

5 hours ago, SuperSport said:

– as there's a drive into deep left field by Castellanos, it will be a home run. And so that will make it a 4–0 ballgame.

Castellanos had 4 goals vs Real Madrid.

And the game ended 4-2.

• Haha 2

I didn’t realize Ed Hardy was still relevant.  I thought that was finished pre-2010 when I was still in college.  Holy shit.  What the fuck is going on here!?  Did everyone just say fuck it and do drugs today since dry January ended!?

a6ae5c6c405289ba8ab1c66cb89d731d.jpg

59 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

If you’ve never made the argument that Jersey Shore was once entertaining, but has since exploited the dilapidated minds of a once “fun” party generation, then you would never understand the appeal of being a pimply-faced meathead adorned in the armor of a sheek, form-fitting Ed Hardy tee. 

• Haha 1

On 1/27/2024 at 9:28 AM, closetojumping said:

They need to hold on to Glasscock. The role he is in is like cap manager in the NFL and an incubator for new CFB GM roles and the pros. Harris is adjacent to that and it is a good fit for them being a team on this stuff. 

Didn't even last a week after this post...

Is Harris a candidate to replace Glasscock?

The only sad part about the Oilers epic collapse against the Bills as a Cowboys fan is being robbed of the opportunity to watch an all Texas Super Bowl in Pasadena. I was 12 when my father took me to the Rose Bowl for that game and it would have been glorious watching Cowboys v Oilers. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I've always joked about making a short film about how my life (and my fellow Oiler fans) would be different if the Oilers beat the Bills that day. Better looking, marrying younger, working a dream job, and being just a happy and optimistic person in general. All of us died a little bit that day. 

I remember that day vividly. I was over at @henrygandorf 's house in high school. There was a group of 4-5 of us watching. We'd play the Oilers "fight song" after every touchdown. At halftime, I remember us going outside and shooting hoops, so fucking happy and loving life. Fuck. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

I saw Sublime with Rome this summer. I was drunk on a blanket at an outdoor venue. Rome Ramirez made some comment about the people in their 40s & 50s in the crowd. The early 20s kid setting right next to me booed. I looked at him and said, "These songs came out before you were born. Why are you here? Is there any artist from your lifetime that doesn't suck?" He had a sense of humor about things, which is good, because he could have knocked my old ass out if things got nasty. The moral of the story is this, I'll never get over the Oilers playoff collapse in Buffalo in 1993. All of the overpriced drinks at retro concerts in the world won't fix things. So, I'm alone. Always will be. I work a bit. I eat a lot of Chinese food. I listen to some podcasts. I'm just biding my time, occasionally shaving my back, waiting for the heart attack that puts me out of my misery. 

Was this at the Toyota Music Factory in Dallas? I went to that one. Pretty good show.

23 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I've always joked about making a short film about how my life (and my fellow Oiler fans) would be different if the Oilers beat the Bills that day. Better looking, marrying younger, working a dream job, and being just a happy and optimistic person in general. All of us died a little bit that day. 

I remember that day vividly. I was over at @henrygandorf 's house in high school. There was a group of 4-5 of us watching. We'd play the Oilers "fight song" after every touchdown. At halftime, I remember us going outside and shooting hoops, so fucking happy and loving life. Fuck. 

ruined a perfectly good thursday, thanks dude.  wanna come over and take a shit in my toilet tank?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

In the mid 90s, music from the late 60s and early 70s was classic rock.  Take that 25-30 year time period, apply it to 2024, and what year do you come up with?

I was told there would be no math.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Duane Moore said:

I didn’t think I was that old but I have no fucking clue who Ed Hardy is. 

IMG_1186.thumb.png.806a9cb76876700f6b99089279d7ef07.png

Shit designs from the ‘90s to the mid-2000s before they fell off a cliff and cheeseballs no longer were paying over $100 for a shit ball graffiti art looking shirt or trucker cap to get photographed by paparazzi in LA.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Josef Pwag said:

3290a463-a94f-4960-9413-50c365ecbea6_text.gif

7 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

That was the point of the joke.

It really hit home to me when I was flipping through, and a Houston Classic Rock station started playing Nirvana and Submline. 

Folks need to accept that we're old. Don't be that old motherfucker in his 50's wearing Ed Hardy and only lifting upper body muscle groups so they can look bad ass wearing some affliction jeans because they think that makes them still look young and cool. 

Yes, I realize that about 30% of this board is now probably doing the fucking eye side to side gif. As they should. 

Who is Ed Hardy, is he Frank and Joes slow cousin from aunt Gertrude?

Yeah I’m fucking old and I think the kids who wore parachute pants are probably still assholes, lawyers or both.  

that ought to break the side to side eye gif around these parts.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jimbob said:

Who is Ed Hardy, is he Frank and Joes slow cousin from aunt Gertrude?

Yeah I’m fucking old and I think the kids who wore parachute pants are probably still assholes, lawyers or both.  

that ought to break the side to side eye gif around these parts.  

Congratulations on still being alive. 

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I worked at a store in the mall similar to Gadzooks for part of one summer and Christmas break. We sold those shirts, Oakleys, Raybans, No Fear gear, Mossimo and Stussey. At the fucking time, I was embarrassed when people bought the Big Johnson shirts. I was 17 and questioning their decision making. 

I bought one No Fear t shirt. A rooster facing a cat, both sneering at each other and the cat was thinking “chicken” and the rooster was thinking “pussy”. I thought it was funny. Every single time I wore that shirt to class at Texas, a girl approached me about studying together. I wore it 3 times and was 3 for 3. The last girl stole the shirt from me. 

$80 for unlimited pussy sounds pretty cheap. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/335168901230?hash=item4e099f906e:g:t~EAAOSwY6llfjQz&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0NBlRnUOZdWMWu2Zf7b7a1wHw6uCAJaYUCSTFDdK8DijudPUpXA5J2ffu2wEIEQerKiQpCaxU5yRLIBvwRmOKuaSOxAijB50RkmnqwqH%2B2QXMuhcgdL2Mmq0Ko3SDkbn6BiH0qn78lXiUZ7KtvrfxN6VBxARrYKkvsaRpEQv9s2Q5wYlovFWpMKXXaaitX8KwxuaSwO18uSaLrZ1S3ttFP8Z%2BwkRmObveILvrYxIS9VI57mWK1AFWmnu1HBYI2ioNForeRHOfCaRIopyYTrT6cw%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR571xoCtYw

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.