2024 Transfer Thread - The Pedantic Circlejerk

4 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

All of this handwringing over defense and whether we need secondary help or line help tells me, in comparison to the offense, we’re not doing a great job building personnel on that side of the ball. It feels like we keep patching holes, at least more so than offense.

I think it's getting there...the incoming freshman class looks really good on D...just gonna take time to develop them.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Right now, we’re just waiting on Hayes Fawcett to decide just how far he wants to push the chroma on the edit. He’s currently torn between “way too much” and “are you fucking kidding me?”

3 minutes ago, Kwix said:

8oskjs.jpg

• Haha 8

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The handler is asking for more money than one school wants to pay, more than two other schools probably can pay without a bunch of pain, and what another school would pay if the guy was serious about going there. 

Maybe switch LSU and Missouri, but this is my assumption

Missouri - The handler is asking for more money than one school wants to pay

blOU/LSU - more than two other schools probably can pay without a bunch of pain

Texas - what another school would pay if the guy was serious about going there

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If it helps, here's a little color.

The $2M number being tossed out there is total bullshit. Someone on Twitter is making that shit up.

The handler is asking for more money than one school wants to pay, more than two other schools probably can pay without a bunch of pain, and what another school would pay if the guy was serious about going there. 

Last, best offers being rounded up now.

I remain of the opinion that this one doesn't go UT's way, and discipline requires that. If it does go UT's way, all of those schools are poor and full of shit.

My bet remains on OU.

So he wants to go to ou and is using Texas to drive his price up with ou it seems like?  Good for Texas for not budging.  At best he ends up at Texas at a price Texas is comfortable at.  At worst, ou over extends themselves and has less NIL for recruits and other transfers.  It's pretty obvious this has been ou from the start as they were the ones to get him into the portal and it's his last visit the day of his commitment.  Hopefully that's not the case.

He entered the portal without us being in the loop.  It's pretty clear it's been OU this entire time.  If he wanted Texas, he could have reached out to our staff knowing who we had graduating and going into the draft.  So yeah I think this one is known, but I hold out hope that the two poor schools can't deliver on their promises.

• Hook 'Em 4

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, tokamak said:

So are Williams and the small school CB our last two portal targets for this window? Can’t remember any other names. 

I think it was this week, if not yesterday, that OTF (Bobby/Gerry) suggested that if there's a great-fit high-quality LB out there, we could add a LB, also.

Edited by BachelorTrek

20 minutes ago, tokamak said:

So are Williams and the small school CB our last two portal targets for this window? Can’t remember any other names. 

That we know of. But no one would be surprised to see us find another DT if Williams joins the cock gobblers, or get involved with a best-available situation.

6 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

It sucks this is all about money, but it is what it is and we are playing the game. Maybe we should have just gone for Nolan when he was for sale.

I don't think anyone had any confidence Nolen would actually play hard after he got paid

11 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

It sucks this is all about money, but it is what it is and we are playing the game. Maybe we should have just gone for Nolan when he was for sale.

It actually doesn't suck that it is all about money. That is one of Texas’ superpowers. We want it all about money. 

• Hook 'Em 6

21 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

It actually doesn't suck that it is all about money. That is one of Texas’ superpowers. We want it all about money. 

Without sacrificing culture and winning, yeah.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Did you put a monumental amount of effort into making this ridiculously stupid post or did it just naturally flow onto the screen?

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The handler thought it was going to be one way, but it was the other. 

Still guessing OU but they just may not have the money. If they win on the deal, they have depleted the war chest for softball or gymnastics and they’ve discovered more competition in both arenas than originally forecast. That shit matters. This will be interesting. @Js1

Gordon Ramsay Food GIF by Masterchef

• Haha 1

I read last year that Texas has a good reputation for coming through on NIL commitments, with everything legal and transparent, and that is a plus for us, because not every program is that way, evidently. 

33 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The handler thought it was going to be one way, but it was the other. 

Still guessing OU but they just may not have the money. If they win on the deal, they have depleted the war chest for softball or gymnastics and they’ve discovered more competition in both arenas than originally forecast. That shit matters. This will be interesting. @Js1

IMG_5010.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Toia is the head scratcher for me. Why “reset the market” to win 3 games this season? UCLA could have spent the NIL money on 6-8 recruits to attempt to rebuild that corpse of a program. 

You are assuming a level of function that doesn’t actually exist for that program. 

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - The Pedantic Circlejerk