Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

5 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Bingo. It's an artifact of youth. You don't care if it's 100 degrees when you're 12 years old and your only concern for 3 straight months is where you are swimming that day and which friend's mom you're spending the night with. 

Fixed

5 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Summer in the South is atonement for the Civil War.

Or atonement for the above.

• Drool 1

I spent last week in Boston enjoying 75-82 day temp, 68 night temp weather. I was watching the Austin temps all week dreading flying back. On Saturday going through TSA the asshole says, "Texas, huh. When are you moving from there? You know it's only going to get hotter every year, right?"
Random assholes are now reminding me why I need to move TF out of this state.

Spent last week visiting friends in Ohio and it was a high of 82. It was really comfortable. I’m currently sitting outside in Fort Collins CO and it’s the hottest 81 degrees I’ve ever experienced. The sun is so intense compared to Austin.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Spent last week visiting friends in Ohio and it was a high of 82. It was really comfortable. I’m currently sitting outside in Fort Collins CO and it’s the hottest 81 degrees I’ve ever experienced. The sun is so intense compared to Austin.

Exactly. The sun has a huge impact out west. Of course ft Collins cools down at night

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

We didn’t have air conditioning in my home in Victoria until I was 10 (also didn’t have A/C at school until then).  It was hot as fuck some days.  But never like this.  Back then, even on the hottest days, after playing outside all day you could always get cool enough by drinking ice water in front of a box fan.  It was never like this.  

Ahhhh….a fellow NA student I see. 

• Haha 1

Due to low water pressure from over irrigation, the City is temporarily enacting and enforcing Stage 3 watering restrictions effective Friday through Monday, July 14-17. All outdoor watering is prohibited during this time. The City will decide early next week whether additional conservation steps are needed. 

email from Georgetown. We are way ahead of them, but I’m sure there are plenty of people like my neighbor that will disregard and continue to water 2x per day. They have a big, beautiful green lawn of st Augustine right now. 

Damn. Fires move fast. Went through both Bastrop fires and fuck that. 
Fiance was stuck last week in Hays. Hit +85 acres and all roads were closed. 

We came way too close to losing our house last summer in the Lake Georgetown fire. I will never forget that feeling of being forced out of your house with a pretty good chance at losing it all. We prevailed, thankfully. All because some asshole rancher was irresponsibly welding in terribly dry conditions and lit up 500+ acres.

For some fucking reason I don’t understand, WilCo and Travis aren’t currently under a burn ban.
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Exactly. The sun has a huge impact out west. Of course ft Collins cools down at night

yeah i'd say that's the main factor in the comfort differential... when the sun goes down, or even when you step into shade, the temperature drops instantly and significantly to a generally comfortable level. 

dat sun though...☀️😎 yowza

image.png.b9b0b9f317ef9633a0ab2af95c70d84e.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, texhorn said:

We came way too close to losing our house last summer in the Lake Georgetown fire. I will never forget that feeling of being forced out of your house with a pretty good chance at losing it all. We prevailed, thankfully. All because some asshole rancher was irresponsibly welding in terribly dry conditions and lit up 500+ acres.

For some fucking reason I don’t understand, WilCo and Travis aren’t currently under a burn ban.

Yeah, this one started cuz a few dumbasses decided to light a brush pile. Her dad lives where there is only one way in and out. That fire spreads they were screwed. 

Don't give kids or idiots matches. 

And yeah, all of Central Texas should be in a Burn Ban. 

• Rage+1 1

Yeah, the shit people do in draught-ridden areas in Texas blows me away sometimes.  We are not the preservationist stewards of the land we pat ourselves on the back to be.  People used to park in the grass along the access road near our neighborhood.  And one day during Summer of 2011 (the insane year), dude pulled over his old Pontiac/Buick (can't remember, big ole' GM car from the 70's) and he and his friend had rolled it onto the "grass." I went to run some errands.  Came back around an hour later and one dude was fucking around under the hood and and told the other dude to start it.  Naturally it backfires and starts a little grassfire.  At least it was daytime and they were sober, so they dumped all their water onto it and tamped it down aggressively.  

I know a car like that you gotta maintain yourself, but August of 2011 with nothing but dried grass and brush didn't exactly scream "DIY GARAGE HERE!"  Nope, you tow that thing or push it down to the next parking lot.  I pictured all the ACL folks a few weeks after that backfiring cars, dragging chains, throwing out cigs and joints from the walk up from the park.  People would park along both sides of the access road from iHOP to Barton Creek Square.  We could have easily lost hundreds or thousands of acres along the greenbelt and other side.  .csb

49 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

We are way ahead of them, but I’m sure there are plenty of people like my neighbor that will disregard and continue to water 2x per day. They have a big, beautiful green lawn of st Augustine right now. 

14 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Well, you see, they are not a part of society. The rules don’t apply to them. 

It would be a shame if somebody used some kind of plant killer product to spell out some letters in their lawn.

• Hook 'Em 3

55 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Due to low water pressure from over irrigation, the City is temporarily enacting and enforcing Stage 3 watering restrictions effective Friday through Monday, July 14-17. All outdoor watering is prohibited during this time. The City will decide early next week whether additional conservation steps are needed. 

email from Georgetown. We are way ahead of them, but I’m sure there are plenty of people like my neighbor that will disregard and continue to water 2x per day. They have a big, beautiful green lawn of st Augustine right now. 

They started patrolling overnight earlier this month looking for irrigation systems running in the middle of the night.

yeah i'd say that's the main factor in the comfort differential... when the sun goes down, or even when you step into shade, the temperature drops instantly and significantly to a generally comfortable level. 
dat sun though... yowza
image.png.b9b0b9f317ef9633a0ab2af95c70d84e.png

Yep. Walking around I aim way more for the shade than I do in Austin. Even in the sun the breeze is cool so it’s crazy how much the sun intensity affects it. I’ve been to Colorado a dozen times but this may be the first time in July.

I apologize if the following is trite - an old west Texas man gave me a super power for dealing with ass blistering weather:

wet a bandana with ice cold water and place it around back of your neck.  You’ll need to re-apply water if you’re out in the heat for long duration but literally, it is like a super power when coping with extreme high heat.

Some PhD will write a thesis on the science behind keeping your blood cool in the back of your neck.  In the meantime, know that it works…

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, MalibuSheriff said:

I apologize if the following is trite - an old west Texas man gave me a super power for dealing with ass blistering weather:

wet a bandana with ice cold water and place it around back of your neck.  You’ll need to re-apply water if you’re out in the heat for long duration but literally, it is like a super power when coping with extreme high heat.

Some PhD will write a thesis on the science behind keeping your blood cool in the back of your neck.  In the meantime, know that it works…

It works. Canadian does it daily. He came home drunk last night (Break up) and needed some down time. Fucker dripped all over the floor. Asshole........ Just added to the humidity. 

13 hours ago, HenryJames said:

That 2000 stretch was my soph year and included back to back days of 110 and 112.  IIRC, those were Austin's first two days ever at 110+.  Still better than 95+ in Houston humidity.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, troph said:

Pretty sure humans get better sleep when it’s colder at night.

Fuck that. I was camping at 9 degrees and shivering kept me up. Plus I cannot get her PJ's off for a quickie. 

I am fine with a sheet, a poncho liner and the air at 80 with a fan on me. But then I grew up in Central America. 

22 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Summer in the South is atonement for the Civil War.

Yup.

"Let me tell you what is coming. After the sacrifice of countless millions of treasure and hundreds of thousands of lives you may win Southern independence, but I doubt it. The North is determined to preserve this Union. They are not a fiery, impulsive people as you are, for they live in colder climates. But when they begin to move in a given direction, they move with the steady momentum and perseverance of a mighty avalanche." 

-Sam Houston

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, troph said:

Pretty sure humans get better sleep when it’s colder at night.

The temperature of your bedroom can make a significant difference to your sleep quality. The best room temperature for sleep is approximately 65 degrees Fahrenheit (18.3 degrees Celsius). This may vary by a few degrees from person to person, but most doctors recommend keeping the thermostat set between 60 to 68 degrees Fahrenheit (15.6 to 20 degrees Celsius) for the most comfortable sleep.

https://www.sleepfoundation.org/bedroom-environment/best-temperature-for-sleep

• Hook 'Em 3

36 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Fuck that. I was camping at 9 degrees and shivering kept me up. Plus I cannot get her PJ's off for a quickie. 

I am fine with a sheet, a poncho liner and the air at 80 with a fan on me. But then I grew up in Central America. 

Get her a pair of the old timey pajamas with the flap in the back.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Not risk of death cold, come on man. I’m talking 67-69 degrees. 

Edit - bolverk gave the cites for it. Thanks.

Edited by troph