Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

30 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I thought that's what happens when you use the restroom after gorging on Pancho's buffet.

Wild Tangent ahead:

The lady and I love thai food and try anything and everything new. The other night we were driving down Burnet and saw a new place by the HEB, so we went back the next night for dinner.

As I sat eating my delicious Panang curry, I kept thinking "I've been here before". Then it dawned on me that this was the place where we used to Raise the Flag, Raise the Flag back in the 80's!

The food was delicious.

/threadjack

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Wild Tangent ahead:

The lady and I love thai food and try anything and everything new. The other night we were driving down Burnet and saw a new place by the HEB, so we went back the next night for dinner.

As I sat eating my delicious Panang curry, I kept thinking "I've been here before". Then it dawned on me that this was the place where we used to Raise the Flag, Raise the Flag back in the 80's!

The food was delicious.

/threadjack

Pancho's.  Casa Ole'.  Same thing...

/limatime

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Orange&White said:

Wild Tangent ahead:

The food was delicious.

/threadjack

Did your toilet raise the white flag? 

No mas, por favor. Piensa en los niños!!!!!

• Haha 2

Current Austin forecast has us hitting 78 days over 100 happening on the 9th of September. That would be only 2 days behind 2011 pace if forecasts holds.

Hang onto your butts. It's going to be a photo finish.

Interesting enough, the 2011 summer needed 5 of the last 6 days of September to reach 90 days over 100 after a 10 day ish cool down in the middle of the month.

4 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Current Austin forecast has us hitting 78 days over 100 happening on the 9th of September. That would be only 2 days behind 2011 pace if forecasts holds.

Hang onto your butts. It's going to be a photo finish.

Interesting enough, the 2011 summer needed 5 of the last 6 days of September to reach 90 days over 100 after a 10 day ish cool down in the middle of the month.

I'd be good not beating that record, thanks.

Meh, this morning wasn't horrible.  But yesterday was downright pleasant after sunrise.  But look at the 15-day.  It's still shit.  It's 100* and no rain.  we're all in just varying stages of denial.  This is getting worse and worse.  5 months of this shit where our trees have to live like this is no way to run a society.  

According to data from the National Weather Service, the month of August finished with an extraordinary average temperature of 91.0 degrees. This is nearly 6 degrees higher than the “normal” average temperature for the month of August in Houston, 85.2 degrees.

Moreover, it exceeded the city’s warmest month on record—any month in the last 150 years, mind you. This previous record temperature. 90.4 degrees, was set during the absolutely torrid month of August 2011. Temperatures this August were, by any measure, extreme and not-normal.

Cool Cool Cool GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Along with this extreme heat, we recorded just 0.01 inch of rain during the month of August at the city’s official station, at Bush Intercontinental Airport. That’s one-hundredth of an inch. This was less rain than even the 0.09 inches recorded in August 2011, but second driest on record to a “trace” of rainfall recorded in 1927

Season 2 Hydration GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Edited by Js1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

But look at the 15-day.  It's still shit.  It's 100* and no rain.  

Yeah, that's the kicker. It's not extreme, record-setting hot any more, but the current long range forecast goes out to 9/15, and is basically 99/78 every day through then. Average temp range this time of year is 93/72. By two Fridays from now, it "should" be 91/71. We're going to spend the first half of September consistently 7-8 degrees above average.

We typically see our first legit front that drops lows into the mid-60's for a day or two sometime between 9/20 and 10/1. At this point, just getting 4-5 degrees closer to normal temps would be a huge win.  As in, some 94/74 days, which would be still be hotter than average, would be very welcome. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Storm the Field said:

Yeah, that's the kicker. It's not extreme, record-setting hot any more, but the current long range forecast goes out to 9/15, and is basically 99/78 every day through then. Average temp range this time of year is 93/72. By two Fridays from now, it "should" be 91/71. We're going to spend the first half of September consistently 7-8 degrees above average.

We typically see our first legit front that drops lows into the mid-60's for a day or two sometime between 9/20 and 10/1. At this point, just getting 4-5 degrees closer to normal temps would be a huge win.  As in, some 94/74 days, which would be still be hotter than average, would be very welcome. 

99 becomes the new normal. “Hey it’s always in the 90s I’m September”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Yeah, I mean realistically while this morning was nice I know I'm basically hanging out to "not terrible" versus nice.  Because, yeah, what is so hard about this heat dome thing is there really is no end in site.  No one knows when it ends.  We can look at "traditional models" but nothing works.  I wonder at what point will we get some strong front to knock this stuff out of the way.  NO ONE KNOWS.  Sucks.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

99 becomes the new normal. “Hey it’s always in the 90s I’m September”

This.  Anytime I hear someone referencing historical data for when we'll cool down I roll my eyes.  This is just how it is now.  Well, until it's even hotter for even longer.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

Yeah, I mean realistically while this morning was nice I know I'm basically hanging out to "not terrible" versus nice.  Because, yeah, what is so hard about this heat dome thing is there really is no end in site.  No one knows when it ends.  We can look at "traditional models" but nothing works.  I wonder at what point will we get some strong front to knock this stuff out of the way.  NO ONE KNOWS.  Sucks.

51 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

This.  Anytime I hear someone referencing historical data for when we'll cool down I roll my eyes.  This is just how it is now.  Well, until it's even hotter for even longer.

And as I get older, I am less heat tolerant.  I realize people move to warmer weather as they age but it was 95 yesterday in Socal and I melted.

5 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

image.thumb.png.12cb02f045bd57a0a88d97cecc3fbaf9.png

Huntsville getting fucked. Bad.  1,200 acres so far. 10% contained.  Fucking grew 10 times the original size in three hours.

4:21pm - fire was at 100 acres

5:27pm - fire was at 500 acres

7:37pm - fire was at 1,000 acres.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/texas/article/game-preserve-fire-huntsville-18343775.php

https://abc13.com/whats-burning-huntsville-texas-wildfire-walker-county-office-of-emergency-management-lost-indian-camp-road/13726429/

Crews continued working late into the night Friday to contain a wildfire north of Huntsville that grew 10 times its size in a matter of three hours. According to the Walker County Office of Emergency Management, a major fire erupted Friday afternoon in a wooded area along Lost Indian Camp Road just off FM-247.

As of 9 p.m., the Texas A&M Forest Service reports the so-called Game Preserve Fire has burned about 1,200 acres and is 10% contained. The cause of the fire and reports of injuries were not immediately known.

The county's OEM recommended an evacuation for everything within three miles of Lost Indian Camp Road. Elsewhere, an evacuation order was called out by the New Waverly Fire Department to residents on Pinedale. A closure was also in effect for a 6.5-mile stretch of FM-247, from FM-2989 to Pinedale Road.

The TAMU Forest Service offered a glimpse at its response, as well as the fire's growth. The forest service got a call for assistances at 2 p.m., though, it's not immediately known when the fire actually sparked. At 4:21 p.m., the fire was estimated at 100 acres. More than an hour later, at 5:27 p.m., the fire grew to 500 acres. And at 7:37 p.m., just after dusk, the fire grew to 1,000 acres.

14 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Huntsville getting fucked. Bad.  1,200 acres so far. 10% contained.  Fucking grew 10 times the original size in three hours.

4:21pm - fire was at 100 acres

5:27pm - fire was at 500 acres

7:37pm - fire was at 1,000 acres.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/texas/article/game-preserve-fire-huntsville-18343775.php

https://abc13.com/whats-burning-huntsville-texas-wildfire-walker-county-office-of-emergency-management-lost-indian-camp-road/13726429/

20 hours ago it was 100 acres,

11am - 3,800 acres.  20% contained.

• Hook 'Em 1

This is sick and twisted at this point. We are back to 102+/77+ in the forecast. No rain. No cloud cover. 

Good fucking God this has to end. I know summers are getting worse but I really hope this is still an outlier stretch - say once every 10 years. I'm not sure I can live here for much longer if we start getting months at a time of 105+ with no rain every year. I feel like I'm cooped up in Antarctica or on the surface of Mars.

Edited by ztejas