Roschon already making an impression in Chicago

shadow_operative

Some more.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/bears-rb-roschon-johnson-impresses-rookie-minicamp

Spoiler

Coaches are always quick to praise players in the early stages of the summer program, when hope springs eternal and padded practices are still far along the horizon. But Bears fourth-round draft pick Roschon Johnson has gotten rave reviews from staff all over the organization.

“He’s someone we really feel compelled can become a pillar of this organization for a really long time,” said John Syty, the Bears southwest area college scout, moments after the Bears drafted Johnson. “I feel really strongly about this guy …There’s a level of it factor to this kid the second he walks into the room that all you guys are going to feel.”

Poles said the Bears were shocked that Johnson was still on the board when they were on the clock to make their first pick of Day Three at No. 115. The way the team talks about him, it sounds like picking Johnson was a no-brainer for them, even though the Bears already had a solid running backs room with Khalil Herbert, D’Onta Foreman and Travis Homer.

Friday, all the players left the room but Johnson hung back.

“There were some water bottles,” Hightower said. “Some guys didn't pick up their water bottles. So he's getting ready to go to the next meeting and he asks a question, and as I'm walking out, he cleans up the room, cleans up the water bottles. That just shows you that he wants things the way he wants it. He wants things tidy and he's going to hold guys accountable. So when I saw that, that's just who he is. He didn't like how the room looked. Guys had water bottles left, he picked them up, threw them in the trash and then went to his meeting.”

It’s still early. No one’s played any real football reps yet. But so far Johnson has had an impressive start to his Bears career.

• Hook 'Em 2

Jesus I love the guy and do think he’s a leader but this speaks more about how slobbish and unthoughtful some of the guys are more than anything. Some kids were at the house yesterday and doors left open and things left out. I closed all the doors, can I have a press conference (and an NFL contract) saying how amazing I am because I closed the doors? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't know. Did you run for 6 yards a carry in the B12?

That plus - being a leader - is why he’s going to be great not because he picked up a room of empty water bottles.  Look I get the ancillary message that cleaning up isn’t beneath him has some merit but I read the headline and I assumed it would be an on the field measurement of how he’s turning heads and causing folks to take notice, nope. I just think it’s hilarious that there is a media story about him cleaning up after slobs and that means he’s going to be a gem of a leader.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, troph said:

Jesus I love the guy and do think he’s a leader but this speaks more about how slobbish and unthoughtful some of the guys are more than anything. Some kids were at the house yesterday and doors left open and things left out. I closed all the doors, can I have a press conference (and an NFL contract) saying how amazing I am because I closed the doors? 

sure why not.GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

34 minutes ago, troph said:

you had most of the Surly at your home yesterday?

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, troph said:

I know you get it, but many won't. I have a daughter that dresses like a slob. Her car and her apartment are always a mess. She is smart (working on her masters degree) and beautiful (no pictures) but doesn't yet understand that those things say something to others about the way you think and how you operate. I believe they also say the same thing to your own brain and will act accordingly. Kind of a corollary to ADM McRaven's "make your bed".

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

I know you get it, but many won't. I have a daughter that dresses like a slob. Her car and her apartment are always a mess. She is smart (working on her masters degree) and beautiful (no pictures) but doesn't yet understand that those things say something to others about the way you think and how you operate. I believe they also say the same thing to your own brain and will act accordingly. Kind of a corollary to ADM McRaven's "make your bed".

My wife has a friend like this. I refuse to go to her house. Fn slob. 

I am fearful that my youngnest soon will end up like this. But he told me his plan is to not have many things, so he doesn't have to clean up much. At least he's self aware. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Some more.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/bears-rb-roschon-johnson-impresses-rookie-minicamp

Hide contents

Poles said the Bears were shocked that Johnson was still on the board when they were on the clock to make their first pick of Day Three at No. 115. 

Wonder what the and the Swiss and the Danes are saying.

1 hour ago, Slacks said:

Cleaning up behind kids is normal. It's how you teach them what good looks like and what to expect of themselves. 

Cleaninng up behind professionals sets an expectation for a certain level of attention to detail and execution of basic care for the organization. 

Roscon didn't do it for the attention in a press conference. He did it because he's an adult professional with standards and expectations, something the Chicago Bears don't seen to have a lot of. 

This doesn't mean the Bears are going to the Super Bowl. It just means one player thinks about doing the right thing in that setting. But that's a positive. 

I get what it means, I’m the expectation setter in our house. I don’t think it warrants a headline that’s all.  I DO think he’s going to be a bad ass for them though.

Edited by troph

12 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

plastic water bottles aren't recyclable.

Whatever. He's a menace to society.

And clearly I need to activate the sarcasm font. 

4 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Listen to this man. He's a master in this field.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

I need to retract my statements, Roschon’s leadership in cleanliness and orderliness has single-handedly led to an increase in recycling all the way back in his college hometown. Chicago and our country for that matter is fortunate to have such an impactful leader. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Roschon could do a lot for the culture of the entire Windy City, not just the Bears. 
If he develops into a great team leader there he can influence a lot of the young residents of the city who obviously are in desperate need of guidance in their everyday lives from positive & strong role models. 
Roschon has demonstrated to the fans here that he has the makings to take that course, so I hope he expands his talents to the civic arena as he progresses in the years to come. 

Unless he runs for mayor and wins, nothing is going to change in Chi-town. I used to travel there at least 4 times a year (company I worked for was based there) but that all ended about 15 years ago and from what I've heard since...no desire to go back, and I always thought it was a great city.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ousux said:
5 hours ago, Armybrat said:
Roschon could do a lot for the culture of the entire Windy City, not just the Bears. 
If he develops into a great team leader there he can influence a lot of the young residents of the city who obviously are in desperate need of guidance in their everyday lives from positive & strong role models. 
Roschon has demonstrated to the fans here that he has the makings to take that course, so I hope he expands his talents to the civic arena as he progresses in the years to come. 

Unless he runs for mayor and wins, nothing is going to change in Chi-town. I used to travel there at least 4 times a year (company I worked for was based there) but that all ended about 15 years ago and from what I've heard since...no desire to go back, and I always thought it was a great city.

I always heard that Chicago was founded by New Yorkers that thought “the crime and poverty are great, but it’s just not cold enough”.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, 927 E. 41st said:

I always heard that Chicago was founded by New Yorkers that thought “the crime and poverty are great, but it’s just not cold enough”.

I thought they were just tired of garbage being strewn about and wanted alleyways and clean streets (I’m being serious).

3 hours ago, 927 E. 41st said:

Except they don’t and no one gives a shit. At the end of the day they make you more surface likable but they don’t make you smarter, more effective at your role or more desirable as a candidate for anything except a mate. If I was your daughter or I heard one of my parents speak of me this way I’d be pretty upset. 

Roschon operates how he operates. It’s not about being tidy. It’s about having a standard and enforcing that when people are or are not watching, this isn’t about cleaning up a mess this is about an attitude he has. The same way he is about water bottles is how he is about the playbook, is how he is about workouts, walkthroughs, and opportunities. The cleanup was just something that is shareable and understandable. Your daughter is going to be fine if she’s a performer and not if she’s just a slob who’s a lazy piece of shit. Just like Roschon is going to be fine only if he is a performer (we’ve seen enough to know he is, barring injury) 

• Hook 'Em 1

Chicago has always has crime and a bit of seediness, but you could pretty much escape that in the very nice suburbs or even parts of midtown since the Chicago PD didn't play around. These days the once proud Chicago PD has trouble hiring enough qualified officers because they don't have the backing of city hall like they used to.
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Sure hope Roshon and Bijon rubbed off on their teammates they left behind!

I was just about to post something similar, though I was going to spell their names correctly.  Having either on the roster would have been great.  The fact that we had both is just ridiculous.  I want to believe that they had a lasting impact on the program's culture.  I'll take great football players who are also great people all day long. 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Armybrat said:

But who's going to be our role models in Texas? We need them here more than just about any other state at the moment. 

4 hours ago, 927 E. 41st said:

I have a daughter that dresses like a slob. Her car and her apartment are always a mess. She is smart (working on her masters degree) and beautiful 

Shark Tank Writing GIF

4 hours ago, Slacks said:

But he told me his plan is to not have many things, so he doesn't have to clean up much. At least he's self aware. 

Man I remember those days fondly. Had very little and wanted almost nothing. It was great. Let him know only way to keep that plan intact is to never get a wife. Just be a player or turn gay or something

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, immamac said:

Except they don’t and no one gives a shit. At the end of the day they make you more surface likable but they don’t make you smarter, more effective at your role or more desirable as a candidate for anything except a mate. If I was your daughter or I heard one of my parents speak of me this way I’d be pretty upset. 

Roschon operates how he operates. It’s not about being tidy. It’s about having a standard and enforcing that when people are or are not watching, this isn’t about cleaning up a mess this is about an attitude he has. The same way he is about water bottles is how he is about the playbook, is how he is about workouts, walkthroughs, and opportunities. The cleanup was just something that is shareable and understandable. Your daughter is going to be fine if she’s a performer and not if she’s just a slob who’s a lazy piece of shit. Just like Roschon is going to be fine only if he is a performer (we’ve seen enough to know he is, barring injury) 

Generally, a person who is a slob about their own surroundings will be more likely to hold a lower standard for other aspects of their life.

The little things matter and how consistent we are about doing them is a key indicator of long term success. 

He may not find success in the NFL as a player, but him consistently having those standards throughout his life will greatly increase the odds of him having lifelong success.

Edited by Atticus
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Generally, a person who is a slob about their own surroundings will be more likely to hold a lower standard for other aspects of their life.

That's not at all a hard and fast rule.  Disorder is known to correlate with innovation.  Some of our greatest geniuses were absolute slobs.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That's not at all a hard and fast rule.  Disorder is known to correlate with innovation.  Some of our greatest geniuses were absolute slobs.

What does innovation have to do with being successful? Also, I said "generally," "more likely," and "increase the odds." There are outliers to pretty much anything.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Atticus said:

What does innovation have to do with being successful? Also, I said "generally," "more likely," and "increase the odds." There are outliers to pretty much anything.

The majority of "genius" level intellects have sloppy offices.  It's a thing.  You can discount it all you want.

6 hours ago, troph said:

That plus - being a leader - is why he’s going to be great not because he picked up a room of empty water bottles.  Look I get the ancillary message that cleaning up isn’t beneath him has some merit but I read the headline and I assumed it would be an on the field measurement of how he’s turning heads and causing folks to take notice, nope. I just think it’s hilarious that there is a media story about him cleaning up after slobs and that means he’s going to be a gem of a leader.

If that was the only thing he'd done over the course of his career to show teammates how its done, then yes, but his time on the 40 Acres shows otherwise. 

34 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

23 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The majority of "genius" level intellects have sloppy offices.  It's a thing.  You can discount it all you want.

I get what you're saying as it relates to artists, scientists, etc., but is this true with athletes? Football requires a different skill set than other professions, and it seems like there would be a strong correlation between fastidiousness and success. Being a "freak" (or whatever is the athletic version of a "genius") is necessary to play pro ball, but it isn't sufficient. You also have to put in a ton of time, effort, and attention to detail. 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don’t think that’s anything more than an urban legend. Maybe something to it but I’ve never seen any studies done on it, and the truly intelligent people I’ve known couldn’t stand disorder. 

Edited by 927 E. 41st
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, 927 E. 41st said:

If your daughter is beautiful the tidiness of her vehicle will have zero impact on the quality of her life….

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3