2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Thought it was interesting that Pierce told the LHN guys that neither Galvan or Schuessler have separated themselves yet at catcher and both would likely play to start the year.

Galvan does look more polished defensively (threw a runner out as I was typing this).

That’s a welcomed change. 

Edited by MuellerHorn

3 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Is anyone surprised that Mercer would be the closer? He was good at Notre Dame and some considered him a top 25 transfer this offseason. 

Feels like he was always going to be the closer. 

I hope that, as a program, a "top 25 transfer" isn't our automatic closer with no competition.

But I don't know shit

2 minutes ago, texastough said:

I hope that, as a program, a "top 25 transfer" isn't our automatic closer with no competition.

But I don't know shit

Relievers are never going to be ranked that high in transfer rankings compared to position players and starting pitchers. 

"Top 25 transfer" in reliever terms is "one of the top transfer relievers." Mercer was one of the top relievers in the portal. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, texastough said:

But I don't know shit

Yeah, why not?  We haven't had one that would be a top 25 transfer if he left in forever

5 hours ago, Caver60 said:

My son is a true freshman OF at UTRGV.

That's great.  My kid was "recruited" by their soccer coach.  I looked at their roster, and 7 of 28 players were from the US.  It's not like the rest were from Mexico, either (although some were) -- it was nuts, they have kids from Morocco, South Africa, Singapore, Portugal, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Korea, you name it.  Interesting school.

On 11/5/2023 at 2:41 PM, MuellerHorn said:

That’s a welcomed change. 

JMO, but I thought for sure the runner would be safe but Ardoin made a great tag.  Earlier, Kimble threw out a runner where I thought his mechanics looked great.  Extremely small sample size & again JMO but of the two plays I thought Kimble looked better.  If they are close defensively, I would expect Ryan to get the nod because of the pop in his bat.

On 11/6/2023 at 11:41 AM, Caver60 said:

Super excited for this season. April 16 circled on the calendar.

My son is a true freshman OF at UTRGV. Right now it's looking like he won't redshirt. He's the fourth or fifth OF on the squad. 

Recruiting was a rough experience with the Covid years. In a "normal" year I think he would have had chances at some other schools, but we are really proud of him getting on with a D1 baseball program. We like the coaching staff at UTRGV quite a bit. No matter which way the game goes in Austin, we can't lose. Hook 'em

Good for you and especially your son.

Going back to their roots and some great baseball teams (plus the wife played basketball there) I still like to think of it as Pan American 🤘

• Hook 'Em 2

Pretty much what we figured.  But good to see it coming together.  Should be some great conference road trips in our future.  Will they go 8 series (4 & 4) or go up to 9 or 10?  

As much as I'll miss the exciting environs of Lubbock, Waco, Manhattan, et. al.  What fucking dogshit weekends we've had to put up with over the years.  I fucking hate joining the SEC and being associated with these overrated, racist junior colleges.  But it's gonna be fun as fuck for baseball.

• Hook 'Em 1

My son is a true freshman OF at UTRGV. Right now it's looking like he won't redshirt. He's the fourth or fifth OF on the squad. 

Recruiting was a rough experience with the Covid years. In a "normal" year I think he would have had chances at some other schools, but we are really proud of him getting on with a D1 baseball program. We like the coaching staff at UTRGV quite a bit. No matter which way the game goes in Austin, we can't lose. Hook 'em

Puro pinche Vaqueros. Hope your son has a great time there. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

So...two schools we currently already play annually? And no Arkansas? Ah well.

Yes, but you see...in the SEC...the games just mean more.  Sure there's long-established metrics of how much it means when we all play one another given RPI, SOS, and even conference winning percentage...but now in the SEC...it'll mean more.  I know we had to join this backwards ass league for money, but remember that sometimes being involved with stupid people does have its financial upsides.  All kinda proof of that in 'Murica...

My uncle (by blood) was a Cleveland Indians minor leaguer back in the 40's/50's.  His uncle, T. Swayze, was one of the godfather's of SEC baseball.  I think served as their AD, HC, and has the stadium named after him at Ole Miss.  I'd like it if Texas could get there in 2025 or 2026 while my uncle can still travel in his mid-90s.  Second best would be to play them here.  After that though, torch the fucking miserable SEC illiterate cult to the fucking ground for all we care.  Okay, well maybe a trip to Vandy first as well...

my father played at pan am, that program has deep roots in winning. Hope he has a great season 

• Hook 'Em 3

15 hours ago, Levi said:

Has anyone heard how Flores is doing? 

Pierce said he was one of the players he was most impressed with in the fall when they interviewed him during the broadcast last Sunday. He definitely looks like he has filled out a little bit and added some weight.

I am actually more worried about his defense than his offense. He still looked kinda stiff at SS and let a ball eat him up that should have been pretty routine. 

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Pierce said he was one of the players he was most impressed with in the fall when they interviewed him during the broadcast last Sunday. He definitely looks like he has filled out a little bit and added some weight.

I am actually more worried about his defense than his offense. He still looked kinda stiff at SS and let a ball eat him up that should have been pretty routine. 

Thanks and I agree. If his defense gets better the infield should be in good shape. 

1 minute ago, WBT said:

Auburn, Athens, Starkville, et al aren't an upgrade

Good point.  Lotta Texas fans are gonna be really disappointed in most of our road trips.  The name cache of our opponents and size of their stadiums will be a nice deal. But the people and towns are bottom of the barrel of America.  Obviously there are exceptions like Nashville and Lexington.  But most of them are shithole towns with the stupidest fucking people.  But this is what we signed for, so hopefully they drag us down with them.  

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Good point.  Lotta Texas fans are gonna be really disappointed in most of our road trips.  The name cache of our opponents and size of their stadiums will be a nice deal. But the people and towns are bottom of the barrel of America.  Obviously there are exceptions like Nashville and Lexington.  But most of them are shithole towns with the stupidest fucking people.  But this is what we signed for, so hopefully they drag us down with them.  

I think trading Lubbock for Starksville is an upgrade*.  At least for baseball history and stadiums...

The only real downside is those opponents we played in conference are now available to play out of conference... 

*i've never been to either, but in the future I will go to starksvile.  In my obituary, the final line will state "He never went to lubbock texas."

21 hours ago, zlavydra said:

We'll reach a verdict after the first inning of the first game. It might not even take that long.

20 hours ago, txhorns said:

Shit we will reach that verdict after the first batter.

4 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Wish I had your patience. First pitch will tell the tale.

This would be funny if it wasn't absolutely true. 

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I'd rather go to a shithole town with a nice baseball stadium and a team you would like to play than a shithole town with a crappy stadium and a team you couldn't care less about playing

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I'd rather go to a shithole town with a nice baseball stadium and a team you would like to play than a shithole town with a crappy stadium and a team you couldn't care less about playing

This, little improvement in the towns with a couple of exceptions but a major improvement in the history of the programs we will be playing against.

Okay, so the Surly road-trip to Kansas State this season is a no go?  

As I said multiple times, I do appreciate the level of competition we're gonna be facing and long-time powerhouses along the way.  That part will be fun as hell.  I certainly hope the new TV situation in 2025 allows for us to see all the SEC road games for a reasonable price.  

I never gave much of a shit about us playing at Baylor, or TCU, et. al.  But I made those trips several times because they were easy.  I couldn't justify flying to Starkville or Columbia, MO, or Columbia, SC to watch a baseball series.  I think there'll be one decent road trip that's justifiable in the slate each season like a Nashville, Ole Miss, or even Athens/Atlanta where we've got some family & friends. 

One of my dad's club friends at school this morning was talking about this with me.  Said he'd love to take his daughter to go UF and hit up game on Friday, Disney World on Saturday, and then game Sunday and fly back that night.  I looked at him like he was insane.  UF and Disney World are over 2 hours apart.  And taking your kid to Disney World in March or April on a Saturday when there's tens of thosuands of extra guests there for Spring Break (most states spread their breaks out unlike Texas where most of us are the same week).  Are you out of your fucking mind?  

All that to say---is there still skiing in BYU coutry in early April?  

54 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Okay, so the Surly road-trip to Kansas State this season is a no go?  

As I said multiple times, I do appreciate the level of competition we're gonna be facing and long-time powerhouses along the way.  That part will be fun as hell.  I certainly hope the new TV situation in 2025 allows for us to see all the SEC road games for a reasonable price.  

I never gave much of a shit about us playing at Baylor, or TCU, et. al.  But I made those trips several times because they were easy.  I couldn't justify flying to Starkville or Columbia, MO, or Columbia, SC to watch a baseball series.  I think there'll be one decent road trip that's justifiable in the slate each season like a Nashville, Ole Miss, or even Athens/Atlanta where we've got some family & friends. 

One of my dad's club friends at school this morning was talking about this with me.  Said he'd love to take his daughter to go UF and hit up game on Friday, Disney World on Saturday, and then game Sunday and fly back that night.  I looked at him like he was insane.  UF and Disney World are over 2 hours apart.  And taking your kid to Disney World in March or April on a Saturday when there's tens of thosuands of extra guests there for Spring Break (most states spread their breaks out unlike Texas where most of us are the same week).  Are you out of your fucking mind?  

All that to say---is there still skiing in BYU coutry in early April?  

BYU is in Austin this year, then no more BYU the next year in SEC

Dammit.  I don't know I wrote it down on my calendar in Provo.  Ah well, probably couldn't afford to take the whole family that time of year anyway.  I see we're playing in Orlando proper with UCF.  But again, at a peak time of year for the parks.  And I fucking hate Orlando, so there's that.  Fuck it, I guess it's just the Houston tournament with LSU, et. al.  And then on to Omaha.  I mean, we are fucking Texas.