Friday Night Lights - The TV show - What should I know before watching it?

ATXbronco

There's another thread here but I don't wanna read it.  I absolutely hate spoilers!
I won't even watch youtube previews of anything at all.

Please don't be a dick and spoil the show for me with spoilers.

So, my grandparents (and their predecessors) were born & raised in Texas but I didn't move here until 2006.
And that's when I "discovered" college sports.  Became an immediate Longhorns fan and they're my #1 team.  

I know the show has longhorns-related stuff in it.
Should I watch the movie before the show?
Is there anything else I should watch BEFORE watching the show?

Anything cool I should know or watch out for while watching the show, that won't be a spoiler?

Gonna buy this Blu-Ray box set unless anyone knows of a higher-quality box set (like 4K/ATMOS?) because I've got a pretty decent home theater.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072KPNG2X/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_4?smid=&psc=1

Coach Taylor and Mrs. Coach Taylor carry the show.  

It's a show about life that many people can relate too but all the stories orbit their relationship.

In a show full of beautiful women they're all playing for second to Connie Britton. 

• Hook 'Em 4

The movie and show are only related in that they deal with Texas high school football. The movie is based on the real life account depicted in the novel, and the tv show is totally fictional (with some general themes taken from parts of the novel that didn’t make the movie.) You can watch in any order.

It’s a solid show that you will enjoy. Gets bumpy in the second season due to the writers strike at the time, but keep with it.

• Hook 'Em 3

52 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

There's another thread here but I don't wanna read it.  I absolutely hate spoilers!
I won't even watch youtube previews of anything at all.

Please don't be a dick and spoil the show for me with spoilers.

So, my grandparents (and their predecessors) were born & raised in Texas but I didn't move here until 2006.
And that's when I "discovered" college sports.  Became an immediate Longhorns fan and they're my #1 team.  

I know the show has longhorns-related stuff in it.
Should I watch the movie before the show?
Is there anything else I should watch BEFORE watching the show?

Anything cool I should know or watch out for while watching the show, that won't be a spoiler?

Gonna buy this Blu-Ray box set unless anyone knows of a higher-quality box set (like 4K/ATMOS?) because I've got a pretty decent home theater.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072KPNG2X/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_4?smid=&psc=1

1/1 Skip Ad Continue watching after the ad Visit Advertiser websiteGO TO PAGE

2.png

I’d watch the film first because Coach’s wife and Buddy Garrity are in both. I did like the film better. It’s a gritty drama based on real life events. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’d watch the film first because Coach’s wife and Buddy Garrity are in both. I did like the film better. It’s a gritty drama based on real life events. 

Okay, will do.  Movie first.  

11 minutes ago, mchookem said:

i envy you!

But why?

Holy cow, didn’t even realize they were in both. Saw the movie years before I watched the show and I guess I blanked on the connection since they have different character names.

9 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

The movie also introduces you to the "format" of the show -- the radio guy as limited narrator, the hand-held cameras, the music.

The show also gets the “clear eyes full hearts” mantra from Billy bob’s state title halftime speech. 

I was an extra for 2 seasons while I was a student at UT. The show itself is great, but a little dated if watching today.

Buddy Garrity (Brad Leland - a TTU grad and plano native that played on the 1980-something state championship team) is the best character on the show. Just spot on, small town booster

season 2 isnt THAT bad… but yeah, a few storylines are not good. 

Football scenes were shot at old De Valle HS stadium next to the airport. Alamo freeze was the DQ on airport/manor. The cafe was the old EZs location on Lamar. The TMU stadium was DKR. Rick Barnes, Mack Brown, and Mike Leach all make cameos. JD McCoy’s name seems awfully familiar. So does Jason Streets…

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Football scenes were shot at old De Valle HS stadium next to the airport. Alamo freeze was the DQ on airport/manor. The cafe was the old EZs location on Lamar. The TMU stadium was DKR. Rick Barnes, Mack Brown, and Mike Leach all make cameos. JD McCoy’s name seems awfully familiar. So does Jason Streets…

The Leach cameo (I won't spoil it) is just so perfectly "Leach" it hurts; legit LOL in the best possible way.

Still seems surreal that shortly a CFB season will take place without The Pirate.

Requiescat in pace.

Most important thing to know?

There are two ways to fold a towel, Smash. My way and the wrong way.

Coach Taylor is one of my favorite all-time characters. To this day, if a movie/show has Kyle Chandler in it, I'm watching it. And that included Godzilla vs. Kong, which is complete garbage.

18 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Coach Taylor and Mrs. Coach Taylor carry the show.  

It's a show about life that many people can relate too but all the stories orbit their relationship.

In a show full of beautiful women they're all playing for second to Connie Britton. 

I really wish those two would have another show with each other. Just great, great chemistry. The entire husband/wife dynamic between them might be the most accurate I've ever seen on screen.

It is remarkable how good the show is for a show that has some pretty stupid plotlines.

Obviously there was a big shift in TV with The Sopranos ushering in a new echelon of quality. I feel like.. maybe following Breaking Bad there are a lot more shows that complete one big uber arc through the series rather than serve as a background for whatever the writers come up with each season until it gets stale or too expensive or otherwise cancelled. Maybe a lot of that has more to do with the proliferation of streaming content such that "network TV" is approaching 0% of what is consumed by Whole Foods or even Target shoppers. Either way, to me Friday Night Lights seems like one of the last great network shows. I'm sure someone can come up with something, but I don't think there's been a network show since then that mattered to me at all, and meanwhile Friday Night Lights would probably make my top 10, certainly top 15.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I was an extra for 2 seasons while I was a student at UT. The show itself is great, but a little dated if watching today.

Buddy Garrity (Brad Leland - a TTU grad and plano native that played on the 1980-something state championship team) is the best character on the show. Just spot on, small town booster

season 2 isnt THAT bad… but yeah, a few storylines are not good. 

Garrity's office and dealership is capitol chevy. 

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Most important thing to know?

There are two ways to fold a towel, Smash. My way and the wrong way.

Coach Taylor is one of my favorite all-time characters. To this day, if a movie/show has Kyle Chandler in it, I'm watching it. And that included Godzilla vs. Kong, which is complete garbage.

It was strange because he was in King Kong (ser in 1920s) as well

6 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Either way, to me Friday Night Lights seems like one of the last great network shows. I'm sure someone can come up with something, but I don't think there's been a network show since then that mattered to me at all, and meanwhile Friday Night Lights would probably make my top 10, certainly top 15.

I think it is. There's maybe a couple others. House came to mind. It started a couple years earlier but finished a year* later.

The Good Wife was well recieved and more recent than both of those - never watched much of it though. 

Speaking of - Laurie never won an Emmy for House in 5 noms which is shitty. He lost two to James Spader in fucking Boston Legal. Chandler got one for FNL. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

8 3 5 7 1 10 9 4 6 2

close one between 1 and 2. Big drop off between 4 and 5. Honestly if I'm being real, medium drop off between 5 and 6 and then another big one to 7. Big drop off to 10.

Are you sure you understand what that means? I mean, to each his own but I've never seen it done that way on here before.  

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

I’m having a hard time believing that all of y’all rate Tyra above Lyla. I’ve always thought Minka was one of the hottest women in the world. 

Minka is incredibly hot for sure but there was something about Tyra in that series that was sexy as hell

10 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I’m having a hard time believing that all of y’all rate Tyra above Lyla. I’ve always thought Minka was one of the hottest women in the world. 

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

This

+2

Palicki was hot for sure, but Minka was next-level

But it takes all kinds of course.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Minka was so hot, she was slated to be the first Mrs. Jeter for like 6 seconds. 

What do you mean was, she's still smoking hot

11 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Agree