More B1G shenanigans? Northwestern University, you're up!

Parliament

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2023/07/08/top-stories/former-nu-football-player-details-hazing-allegations-after-coach-suspension/

The former player said he reported his experiences to the University in late November 2022.  He alleges that much of the team’s hazing centered around a practice dubbed “running,” which was used to punish team members, primarily freshman, for mistakes made on the field and in practice. 

If a player was selected for “running,” the player who spoke to The Daily said, they would be restrained by a group of 8-10 upperclassmen dressed in various “Purge-like” masks, who would then begin “dry-humping” the victim in a dark locker room. 

According to the former player, team members allegedly identified players for “running” by clapping their hands above their heads around that player. The practice, the player said, was known within the team as “the Shrek clap.” 

The Daily obtained a video of a player clapping his hands during a game, which the anonymous player said was the same motion taken to signify “running.”

According to the player who spoke with The Daily, Fitzgerald repeatedly made the signal during practices when players, specifically freshmen, made a mistake. 

1 minute ago, Tex Long said:

Seems more like stupid shit than anything else. Stupidity isn't illegal, yet... is it?

I'm not sure a school like Northwestern will consider hazing that includes a sexual component to be "stupid shit."  If Fitzgerald really knew about this, I don't see him escaping discipline that isn't at least a few games suspension. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I'm not sure a school like Northwestern will consider hazing that includes a sexual component to be "stupid shit."  If Fitzgerald really knew about this, I don't see him escaping discipline that isn't at least a few games suspension. 

So, it's the "sexual component" rather than hazing in general, that bothers you? What does your Mom think of it? 

4 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

So, it's the "sexual component" rather than hazing in general, that bothers you? What does your Mom think of it? 

Just commenting that the optics of hazing, which is itself non-consensual, combined with the sexual element, make it hard for Northwestern to not take any action.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Just commenting that the optics of hazing, which is itself non-consensual, combined with the sexual element, make it hard for Northwestern to not take any action.

At least the hazees were getting dry humped, and not soaked.

What "action" would you suggest?

If this was alleged to have happened at a single summer training camp during a single year, Fitzgerald might be able to reasonably claim he didn't know about it. But the claim is this shit is a year-over-year tradition. The head coach definitely knew about it, and if he claims he didn't, he was asleep at the wheel.  Forcibly holding someone down and dry-humping them as a group. Forcing QB and Center to strip and take snaps. Forcing freshman to strip and do stuff against their will.  I don't really see a path for Fitzgerald to keep his job.  The 6-month investigation already said the claims are 'largely substantiated'.  This isn't some #metoo over reaction, this is the type of crap that needs to be called out and eliminated.   

The Big 10 looks like it has a coaching opening.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

At least the hazees were getting dry humped, and not soaked.

What "action" would you suggest?

As I said earlier, I think at least he gets a multi-game suspension.  Compared to some of the shit other coaches have done (e.g., DJ Durkin killing a kid), this was more humiliation than physical harm.  But this is a pretty liberal university in a time where the optics aren't good, so I don't see Fitzgerald going without some kind of disciplinary action. 

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

... I don't see Fitzgerald going without some kind of disciplinary action. 

He's been losing way too many games for the last couple of years, so it might even be a "for cause" thing, as well. A little late in the year, but, hey, maybe Jimbo will be available, particularly if that Petrino thing doesn't work out...

I know a guy who tutored Fitz at Northwestern.  Says he's a good dude.

Apparently, he took a turn to the dark side.

WTF is wrong with the Big 10?  Are they just really bad at not getting caught, or are they particularly bad actors?  Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan State, Northwestern, Indiana, Maryland, ???

• Hook 'Em 1

There is no room for this in today's environment. If he knew or should have known because of how commonplace it was he's gone for cause. 

If this happened at Texas eight win Esteban would be promptly shown the door just like Chris fuck head beard. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Parliament said:

a player was selected for “running,” the player who spoke to The Daily said, they would be restrained by a group of 8-10 upperclassmen dressed in various “Purge-like” masks, who would then begin “dry-humping” the victim in a dark locker room.

wtf GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, hookemATL said:

For the life of me I will never understand this type of shit, whether it be in frats or sports or what have you.   Seems like a bunch of dudes just REALLY wanting to rub up against another man with the added benefit of humiliation and dominance of the victim. 

“You see Smith miss that tackle?  Oh man I’m definitely gonna teach him a lesson by dryhumping him to completion!”

Unfortunately for them it’s actually sexual assault and should be considered an illegal and coercive act.  

Yes he should be shitcanned.

It's clear he knew about it and that he enabled it.  They mention some sort of hand sign that indicated someone was getting hazed after practice if they fucked up, and Fitz himself would make the hand signal. 

There's also photos of the white board, so hard to claim he had no idea.

And yeah, I don't understand how sexual assault and touching another dude's junk is "bonding." 

Edited by Js1

It's clear he knew about it and that he enabled it.  They mention some sort of hand sign that indicated someone was getting hazed after practice if they fucked up, and Fitz himself would make the hand signal. 
There's also photos of the white board, so hard to claim he had no idea.
And yeah, I don't understand how sexual assault and touching another dude's junk is "bonding." 

Are you saying he ordered the code red?

1 hour ago, immamac said:

There is no room for this in today's environment. If he knew or should have known because of how commonplace it was he's gone for cause. 

If this happened at Texas eight win Esteban would be promptly shown the door just like Chris fuck head beard. 

To be fair, Beard's dismissal wasn't really prompt. 

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

WTF is going on in here? Pretty sure sexual assault is both weird and stupid. But more importantly it's illegal and awful.  Trying to "no big deal" sexual assault is also both weird and stupid.

Yes, if what is described happened it is 100% sexual assault. 

Yes. This is correct.

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

WTF is going on in here? Pretty sure sexual assault is both weird and stupid. But more importantly it's illegal and awful.  Trying to "no big deal" sexual assault is also both weird and stupid.

Yes, if what is described happened it is 100% sexual assault. 

"Old School" coach probably kept the same traditions going that were there when he was a player and an assistant.

Most of the defenders I've seen on the Internet seem to be of the "hazing is a natural part of football, you just don't understand because you're not a real man" line of thinking.

"Old School" coach probably kept the same traditions going that were there when he was a player and an assistant.
Most of the defenders I've seen on the Internet seem to be of the "hazing is a natural part of football, you just don't understand because you're not a real man" line of thinking.

Most of the hazing stuff I see is some stupid shit that does nothing for anyone. Some of it is just basically giving guys a hard time about something.

Wide spread dry humping by guys that were at the best partially nude is weird.

25 minutes ago, gatormarc said:

Nothing says "I'm a real man" like barely-simulated rape.

EDIT:  and by "barely" I mean "awfuly close to actual rape"

Edited by jimmyjazz