Texas tops list of worst places to live and work in America

Just now, Armybrat said:

What’s the % of ESL kids in Massachusetts vs Texas?

Seems that could be a pertinent factors.

Texas actually does a decent job, relatively speaking, of educating ESL students.  We have a longer history of programs than other states, which must help.

ESL by percentage.

Mass: 10.2%

Texas: 20.1%

For 4th grade math, the top cities for ESL students in the country are in Texas (Dallas, Austin, Houston, Fort Worth) with Boston just behind in 5th.  Things change a bit for 8th grade, with Dallas remaining in first, followed by Cleveland, Chicago, and Boston. 

For reading, Boston leads the country for grade 4 ESL students, followed by Austin.  In 8th grade, Detroit of all places is in first.

https://www2.ed.gov/datastory/el-outcomes/index.html#one

The point is, ESL students are not why Texas sucks at education.  That is one of the areas Texas actually handles better than most other states, and yet we're still miles behind overall.

• Hook 'Em 7

Yeah, me too. I thought I'd retire here as recently as 3-4 years ago. That being said, no one I know who's visited the twin cities hasn't come back raving about it as a place to live. 

My youngest is 6, so in theory, I also have 12 years until she is in college (assuming that is the path she takes). So I don’t see myself being able to retire for another 16 years at a minimum. However, financially that would be impossible here in Texas (or anywhere in the US) because this is a second career and didn’t start planning until I was 31. So, there is a better than 50% chance, especially if I want retire sooner than later, it will be to Brazil. Which is fine by me. There is a lot I love about Texas, but there is a lot I don’t like. People like johnny sack-o-shit for instance. His type of people run this state from a place of hate and bigotry. I see he has already stopped by to comment on diversity. If we are such and amazing state, why can’t we get education and healthcare (I know the latter is more federal than state)? Why does a state with so many resources have to suck?

Regarding Houston and cost of living, I have brought that up many times on this site and people always argue that Houston is “affordable”. Our household income is north of $250k a year. I know that is not Surly 1%, but if I recall correctly, that is in the top 5-6% of income for Houston. We are considering moving to Cypress because of schools. I can’t afford private school. I don’t think it is financially responsible to buy a half a million dollar home either. But the alternative is $400k house in the burbs and public school. And that market for a house and good schools and not 2 fucking hours in traffic from work for my wife and I is razor thin.

It’s a shitty feeling to be educated (I have two bachelors, my wife has a masters), have good jobs and still feel stuck.
  • Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

My youngest is 6, so in theory, I also have 12 years until she is in college (assuming that is the path she takes). So I don’t see myself being able to retire for another 16 years at a minimum. However, financially that would be impossible here in Texas (or anywhere in the US) because this is a second career and didn’t start planning until I was 31. So, there is a better than 50% chance, especially if I want retire sooner than later, it will be to Brazil. Which is fine by me. There is a lot I love about Texas, but there is a lot I don’t like. People like johnny sack-o-shit for instance. His type of people run this state from a place of hate and bigotry. I see he has already stopped by to comment on diversity. If we are such and amazing state, why can’t we get education and healthcare (I know the latter is more federal than state)? Why does a state with so many resources have to suck?

Regarding Houston and cost of living, I have brought that up many times on this site and people always argue that Houston is “affordable”. Our household income is north of $250k a year. I know that is not Surly 1%, but if I recall correctly, that is in the top 5-6% of income for Houston. We are considering moving to Cypress because of schools. I can’t afford private school. I don’t think it is financially responsible to buy a half a million dollar home either. But the alternative is $400k house in the burbs and public school. And that market for a house and good schools and not 2 fucking hours in traffic from work for my wife and I is razor thin.

It’s a shitty feeling to be educated (I have two bachelors, my wife has a masters), have good jobs and still feel stuck.

And that's the problem with America, currently, in a nutshell, regardless of political affilation or opinions. 80% of the people feel left behind, or let down by government/jobs/society/etc. And the only difference is that everyone blames a political idealogy for that failure, one way or another. 

But the problem is a huge bulk of Americans are being left behind. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

This. We’ll find something around 1,500 sq ft as soon as kids are out. We’re at 2,400 now and have 2 rooms we rarely use. 

The problem with that is if you ever want your adult children to visit, you need a place with 1) space 2) something for them to do (pool, lake, mountains).

Also, fuck them kids.

My wife likes the idea of staying in our home even after the kids go on to college and beyond.  For the simple reason that her parents still live in the home she lived in since she was 3.  And it's this homebase that all the girls still come back to a couple times a year and it feel like the salad days.  Trouble is her parents house cost $50,000 when they built it 40 years ago and it's worth about $70,000 today.  No fucking way could we hang on to our current home another 15 years even if we wanted to, economics don't make any sense.  We're putting it on the market the night we get home from our youngest's high school graduation.  Old people talk about downsizing homes because they lack the energy to keep up a big house, stairs are troublesome, etc.  How about the fact that 1/3rd of our retirement withdrawals will go to property taxes before we can even take a vacation or buy fucking groceries.  Oh yeah, no state income tax on my qualified accounts.  Oh joy, should take the edge off my home which will have gone up 6x between when we bought it and when our youngest moves out.  I can't even imagine the property taxes on that in 2035.  But hey, no need to pay for auto inspections anymore so I'll just be rolling in extra cash.  

13 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

The problem with that is if you ever want your adult children to visit, you need a place with 1) space 2) something for them to do (pool, lake, mountains).

Also, fuck them kids.

Planning your living space for how it's used < 4% of the time (2 weeks a year) is a waste of money.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

My income would go 40% further if I moved back to Texas since I pay a shitload in state and local taxes here in NYC which I get no deduction for from a federal perspective (thanks assholes).  However, Texas has basically told women that we do not fucking matter, and that we shout sit down, shut up, and do as we are told.  So fuck Texas.  Signed a multi-generational Texan who thinks the state jumped the shark.

The taxes here are something else. I do not mind paying higher taxes so long as I see the money being put to good use. I am not entirely seeing that with Adams or Hochul. Still this place is better to live than most anywhere in the US. I am still going to leave though as I want access to better beaches on a regular basis. That’s nit-picking looking at the overall picture of life here, which is mostly awesome, but we all have something in nature that we really enjoy and the beach is it for me.

• Hook 'Em 1

You could if you stopped eating BBQ.

Possibly. But who wants to live in a world like that?

Found this site numbeo.com that compares cost of living between cities all over the world. Can’t vouch for its accuracy, but pretty interesting. My money goes a lot further down south. This is just the summary, the details show price comparisons of food, transportation, utilities and entertainment.

73f6a4fa4fb5a9653fb3b5fd54cdf66b.jpg

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Found this site numbeo.com that compares cost of living between cities all over the world. Can’t vouch for its accuracy, but pretty interesting. My money goes a lot further down south. This is just the summary, the details show price comparisons of food, transportation, utilities and entertainment.

Florida / Indianopolis mash-up? Sounds methy.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, royiv said:

Florida / Indianopolis mash-up? Sounds methy.

First time I heard of Florianopolis was on a Varig flight from BA to Sao Paolo.  While we're airborne, they tell us we're going to make a stop in Florianopolis.  For reasons.  Brazilian airlines back then would just jack with their schedule in real-time.  But when they announced the destination, I turned to my wife and said "shit, we're probably getting kidnapped -- that's not even the name of a real place."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Never go with a Brazilian airliner to a second location.  

Well, in that case, the THIRD location was the Sao Paolo airport, which is the first place we ever encountered pão de queijo.....we musta eaten like 6 orders while waiting on our flight back to the US.  So...totally worth it.

d308062c8db75d98164d39cb80d8fe473b3bd851

• Like 2
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’d rather fly through GRU than the airport in Amsterdam or Rome. Not by much, but still.

You can get pão de queijo at HEB.

And we do.  We usually have a package in our freezer.  Problem: the boy is home from college, and he thinks that each of those packages is a single serving.

What's a good HEB location to get Brazilian food at?  I know different ones have different ethnic specialities.  Old friend of mine from Chicago who has been living in Rio for the last 15 years just moved to Austin last month.  His son is Brazilian, obviously.  They divorced and his son has some friends in Austin so they moved here.  His attorney wanted to take them somewhere to eat that would remind them of home.  So Of Counsel Dipshit took them to Fogo de Chao.  I've turned them onto a couple of food trucks but warned him that of all the Latin American ex-pats, Braziians are pretty under-represented here.  I didn't think about grocers but I would imagine some HEB and CM's have good selections.  

I gotta get him some recs before his attorney sends him to Fiesta Mart for authentic Latin food.  I realize not everybody knows all the nuances between Latin American countries (I don't know fuck one about the differences between Suriname and French Guiana but every Texans should know that Brazil is not like the rest of Latin America in almost every respect from food to appearance to language to economics.  

Anyway, back to Texas being backwards...but any recs on Brazilian food I can pass off as my own are much appreciated.  His son has a tough transition ahead of him without mom and thousands of milies away from his homeland.  I drove them by Westlake H.S.  He asked what the big stadium was and I said that's the football stadium.  He got so excited, then I realized he thought I meant his kind of football.  I don't even know where the varsity soccer fields are.  At least they have Q2/Verde football to look forward to here.  

6 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

So Of Counsel Dipshit took them to Fogo de Chao.

FWIW, and Patricio Swayze will likely correct me, but 25 years ago when my folks lived in BA, we were out one night and befriended some Brazilians.  We got to talking about what they liked to do and where they liked to go out to eat (we mentioned that our sole experience with Brazilian food up till then had been a visit to Fogo), and they said that they actually would go to their local Fogo in Brazil.  It's not far off the mark for a real Brazilian steakhouse (and since then, we've eaten at various rodizios in and adjacent to Brazil, and Fogo's reasonably close in food and style).

As for some Brazilian food, believe it or not, Phoenicia actually has a small but decent selection of some staples.

Also, to get this thread back on track.....it's hotter outside than two mice fucking in a wool sock.

Edited by Brisketexan

There's a really good brazilian style steakhouse out in Lakeway I used to frequent when we officed out there.  I knew Phoenicia had some Brazilian foodstuffs, I used to love their Canary Island offerings after we got back from our honeymoon there.  I'll recommend him the one on South Lamar.  

And yes, like Longhorn Bob Wheeler used to say when it was hot at a tailgate party, "Hotter than two rats fucking a sock."  On the rare day it was chilly for a game he'd say, "Colder than ditch-digger's ass" or "Colder than a well-digger's ass"  can't remember which one.  I was gonna ask him on the bus ride to Stillwater, but there was some miscommunication apparently on the departure time.  That's a guy who was ahead os his time on Texas.  He used to talk about the ruse we fooled ourselves with here in Texas.  This mutually agreed upon mythology about our greatness when the whole thing was mashed up together with duct tape and lies.  

Serious question---for all the millions of people in Texas that don't believe dinosaurs existed.  Or if they did, they were around when Jesus was or are like 6000 years old.  Or their fossils were put here as a test by Satan.  Etc.  In all seriousness-what do they think hydrocarbons are made out of?  Even if you think it's just all the other long-dead flora and fauna of planet earth, it's obvious the shit's been down there being compressed for more than just a few thousand years since the flood, and not even includes dinosaurs...what do all those people think made all that oil and gas?  They believe in it enough to invest in it, work in its byproduct industries, even risk their own lives to extract it from the earth and transport it for refinement.  But to think it came from some animals and the plants they ate a really long time ago is just a bridge too far?  I don't get it.  What do they tell themselves when they're using their mineral rights checks to buy books about secular science to burn in the church parking lot?  

16 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Sad thread turning into a happy thread haha.

Fogo is fine. Just has much fewer cuts and offerings. I don’t think they have chicken hearts. Which sucks.

They did when they first came to the US, like 30 years ago.  But after a few years, they stopped serving them because nobody ate them.  Except I did.  Love the damn things.

5 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

There's a really good brazilian style steakhouse out in Lakeway I used to frequent when we officed out there.  I knew Phoenicia had some Brazilian foodstuffs, I used to love their Canary Island offerings after we got back from our honeymoon there.  I'll recommend him the one on South Lamar.  

And yes, like Longhorn Bob Wheeler used to say when it was hot at a tailgate party, "Hotter than two rats fucking a sock."  On the rare day it was chilly for a game he'd say, "Colder than ditch-digger's ass" or "Colder than a well-digger's ass"  can't remember which one.  I was gonna ask him on the bus ride to Stillwater, but there was some miscommunication apparently on the departure time.  That's a guy who was ahead os his time on Texas.  He used to talk about the ruse we fooled ourselves with here in Texas.  This mutually agreed upon mythology about our greatness when the whole thing was mashed up together with duct tape and lies.  

Serious question---for all the millions of people in Texas that don't believe dinosaurs existed.  Or if they did, they were around when Jesus was or are like 6000 years old.  Or their fossils were put here as a test by Satan.  Etc.  In all seriousness-what do they think hydrocarbons are made out of?  Even if you think it's just all the other long-dead flora and fauna of planet earth, it's obvious the shit's been down there being compressed for more than just a few thousand years since the flood, and not even includes dinosaurs...what do all those people think made all that oil and gas?  They believe in it enough to invest in it, work in its byproduct industries, even risk their own lives to extract it from the earth and transport it for refinement.  But to think it came from some animals and the plants they ate a really long time ago is just a bridge too far?  I don't get it.  What do they tell themselves when they're using their mineral rights checks to buy books about secular science to burn in the church parking lot?  

It was definitely "well-digger's ass".   Colder than a witch's tit in a brass bra would have also been accepted.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, in that case, the THIRD location was the Sao Paolo airport, which is the first place we ever encountered pão de queijo.....we musta eaten like 6 orders while waiting on our flight back to the US.  So...totally worth it.

d308062c8db75d98164d39cb80d8fe473b3bd851

I have bought so many packages of them for Brazilian friends (Brazilian grocery store over in Astoria has them readily available) here that eat them about as fast as I give them to them. Very delicious and goes with just about anything. Brazilians have some really good cuisine.

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’d rather fly through GRU than the airport in Amsterdam or Rome. Not by much, but still.

You can get pão de queijo at HEB.

Well that’s going on this week’s curbside order 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

game of thrones what GIF

• Haha 2

On 8/1/2023 at 2:46 PM, Brisketexan said:

FWIW, and Patricio Swayze will likely correct me, but 25 years ago when my folks lived in BA, we were out one night and befriended some Brazilians.  We got to talking about what they liked to do and where they liked to go out to eat (we mentioned that our sole experience with Brazilian food up till then had been a visit to Fogo), and they said that they actually would go to their local Fogo in Brazil.  It's not far off the mark for a real Brazilian steakhouse (and since then, we've eaten at various rodizios in and adjacent to Brazil, and Fogo's reasonably close in food and style).

As for some Brazilian food, believe it or not, Phoenicia actually has a small but decent selection of some staples.

Also, to get this thread back on track.....it's hotter outside than two mice fucking in a wool sock.

Reminds me of my favor New York pizzeria

spacer.png

• Haha 3

On 8/1/2023 at 2:01 PM, YGIFS said:

Their probable answer:

a2d05440-16d7-420d-8c1e-2cfcde712c4a_tex

On 8/1/2023 at 1:46 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Cidercade sucks.  Bar without beer or hooch. Just rancid apple juice.

On 8/1/2023 at 11:20 AM, SydneyCarton said:

Colorado: Wildfires spreading is the only demerit.

My wife started in on not wanting to live where there are wildfires when I first brought up moving to the mountains.  

I told her, "You have lived nearly your entire fucking life in a state where your house has a non-zero chance of being destroyed by a tornado with no advance notice, and you're going to balk on looking at places where wildfires (where you're given hours or days of advance notice) replace tornadoes?"

She actually told me that this was a good point.  I should have had a historical monument erected.

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

My wife started in on not wanting to live where there are wildfires when I first brought up moving to the mountains.  

I told her, "You have lived nearly your entire fucking life in a state where your house has a non-zero chance of being destroyed by a tornado with no advance notice, and you're going to balk on looking at places where wildfires (where you're given hours or days of advance notice) replace tornadoes?"

She actually told me that this was a good point.  I should have had a historical monument erected.

I mean I’m not worried about Death, I’m worried about the eventual ballooning of insurance. Like Cali and Colorado et al eventually have the same problem as Florida is currently experiencing. 

congrats on the unicorn moment with your wife 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/1/2023 at 12:58 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

If you can’t find ‘freedom’ with an income north of $250k/ year, your expectations might be a little skewed.  My gawd… 

31 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I should add, part of what I mean is that income is tied to Houston. Both my wife’s job and mine are very Houston-centric. O&G and medical. So finding first, a place we both would like to live and raise a family, second, a place where both of us have a jobs like the ones we have, isn’t so easy.

I bet you could find jobs in Brazil in those fields sir. Lots of O&G down there no? Could your wife start her own business in Brazil related to her expertise?

I bet you could find jobs in Brazil in those fields sir. Lots of O&G down there no? Could your wife start her own business in Brazil related to her expertise?

There is a lot down there in my field. Unfortunately, most is in Rio where neither of us want to live. If a short term assignment (2 years or so) came up, I think we would go. But honestly, it’s more of a retirement thing. Financially speaking it’s the only way I see retiring at a reasonable age. As this got brought up here, I mentioned it to her and she is 50/50 on the idea. She seems to think we can make it work here but I don’t think she really understands how much we would need to have squirreled away.

She is a geneticist. I can’t think of a business she could start in that field. There are certainly a ton of labs down there though.
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

She is a geneticist. I can’t think of a business she could start in that field. There are certainly a ton of labs down there though.

Let’s see female, check. Brazilian, double check. Sounds like Onlyfans is the best play here.

To your earlier point and slorch’s response, the last few years years have really skewed what is reasonable from an income perspective/retirement perspective going forward. Housing has gotten out of balance and a lot of other things have as well and it’s been compounded in states with large influxes of people. We’re talking to new hires now that can’t afford apartments/rentals locally which is a strange discussion where we are located, but it’s a real issue.

• Like 1