Texas tops list of worst places to live and work in America

43 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

If it ever rains again, and cools off, and Texas is great at football again, I'd wager many of us would be less grumpy about the future of our state.

None of those things are happening.

I mean...I can't believe I'm saying this.....because I'm Eeyore and all that, but.....I'm having a hard time finding reasons to doubt this football team being pretty damned good this year.  I'm sure I'm missing something, though.  Because Texas football.

1 minute ago, RDCanecutter said:

Wasn't the DQ in Mexia where Anna Nicole Smith used to work?

Nope.  She worked at Jim's Krispy Fried Chicken, which is so damned stupid that they don't even make/sell merchandise.  I wanted a Jim's Krispy Fried Chicken cup, or koozy, or t-shirt, as a joke that only I.....and every other male who looked into where a certain playmate came from...would get.  The folks there looked at me like I had a tire on my head when I inquired about making such a purchase.

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Nope.  She worked at Jim's Krispy Fried Chicken, which is so damned stupid that they don't even make/sell merchandise.  I wanted a Jim's Krispy Fried Chicken cup, or koozy, or t-shirt, as a joke that only I.....and every other male who looked into where a certain playmate came from...would get.  The folks there looked at me like I had a tire on my head when I inquired about making such a purchase.

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I wanted a Jim's Krispy Fried Chicken cup, or koozy, or t-shirt

I was gonna say "if you want a Jim's Krispy Fried Chicken cup, I could get you a Jim's Crispy Fried Chicken cup, believe me Dude, there are ways you don't wanna know..." -- but then I realized I would be doing work, so that's a no-go.

In the spirit of teaching a man to fish, here's how you get one:

First, get up to speed on your graphic design:

https://admc.austincc.edu/viscom/our-program/graphic-design-2/

Then make an account here or similar and upload your own Jim's Krispy Fried Chicken mock-up design:

https://www.redbubble.com/

Order cups, koozies or whatever from yourself before anybody alerts them to a trademark infringement and they pull all your work.

This info was shared in the understanding that you will use it as a thought-exercise and not actually violate any laws.

57 minutes ago, G650 said:

I mean, from what the Googles said, I really didn't need any audio visual examples.

While none of his stuff was riveting, all of it was better than the wave on wave and anything past that nonsense.  Dancehall dreamer, George’s bar, etc wasn’t terrible, especially when there was considerably less regional/local music easily available. Cory M carried him a bit, too.  Then again he was blowing up the local halls when I was a yoot, and those memories will always be beautiful, yet fuzzy memories. 

I mean...I can't believe I'm saying this.....because I'm Eeyore and all that, but.....I'm having a hard time finding reasons to doubt this football team being pretty damned good this year.  I'm sure I'm missing something, though.  Because Texas football.

I’m going with 8-4 after applying a 2 game “we can’t have nice things” tax to on-paper expectations.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I’m going with 8-4 after applying a 2 game “we can’t have nice things” tax to on-paper expectations.

I mean, I already applied the 2 game "we'll find a way to fuck up at Bama, and the Big 12 refs are going to utterly fuck us in one game as a parting gift" tax to my expectations.

28 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

While none of his stuff was riveting, all of it was better than the wave on wave and anything past that nonsense.  Dancehall dreamer, George’s bar, etc wasn’t terrible, especially when there was considerably less regional/local music easily available. Cory M carried him a bit, too.  Then again he was blowing up the local halls when I was a yoot, and those memories will always be beautiful, yet fuzzy memories. 

itysl-i-think-you-should-leave.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I'm having a hard time finding reasons to doubt this football team being pretty damned good this year.  

lol, well, if the oppressive fuck you heat outside didn't give it away, there's no doubt that it is officially august on surly!  we graduated a once in a decade talent that won us all the games we won but quinn cut his hair so we will be............better.  it's funny, even though i have been leaning hard on oline/dline talent and experience and db/wr experience in addition to the best te in the country to believe it myself.

gifs may be an unstable lunatic with some sort of bizarre dissociative identities and delusional grandeur pathologies but i'll be god damned if his violent disdain for pat green is not overwhelmingly well founded and supported by the objective evidence.  that dude should be shot to mars.  hearing his name innately triggers a psychologically violent reaction inside my soul.

• Haha 1

On 7/18/2023 at 12:47 PM, gmr548 said:

Lmao, wealthy suburbs have low crime rates. News at 11.

Just catching up on thread and this isn’t support for the post or poster but those aren’t wealthy suburbs. 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean, I already applied the 2 game "we'll find a way to fuck up at Bama, and the Big 12 refs are going to utterly fuck us in one game as a parting gift" tax to my expectations.

just thank god we don't have to play osu this last year! 🤬

#itwillalwaysbetoosoon

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

26 minutes ago, utee94 said:

No shit.  The one thing I've learned in this thread is that 90s frat bros are the main reason Texas tops the list of worst places to live and work in America.

I’m a 90s frat bro and I rock. 

On 8/3/2023 at 3:53 PM, YGIFS said:

Pat Green is the worst fucking Texan in our history and that list includes Charles Whitman.

Sorry about the necro quote, but Charles Whitman was no Texan. 
He was born & raised through high school in Florida, joined the Marines before going to college in Maryland, then enrolled at UT.

But I have never heard of that Green fellow.

• Hook 'Em 1

Didn't really know Whitman's background, good to learn I suppose. Was just grasping at the name of the nearest  lunatic.  Everybody's a native Texas until they're associated with a mass shooter whose biggest crime was not shooting Pat Green when he had the chance.  

• Haha 1

I saw Pat Green at a lot of places not by design, CBB, Gruene, the Austin Rodeo etc. Whichever one of you Assholes that is responsible for rearranging his face in Padre should take a bow. Bravo.
Do not equate PG and Cory Morrow. Cory is great people especially since sober. Nice approachable humble guy just a little high on Jesus juice but super kind.
  • Hook 'Em 1

lol, well, if the oppressive fuck you heat outside didn't give it away, there's no doubt that it is officially august on surly!  we graduated a once in a decade talent that won us all the games we won but quinn cut his hair so we will be............better.  it's funny, even though i have been leaning hard on oline/dline talent and experience and db/wr experience in addition to the best te in the country to believe it myself.
gifs may be an unstable lunatic with some sort of bizarre dissociative identities and delusional grandeur pathologies but i'll be god damned if his violent disdain for pat green is not overwhelmingly well founded and supported by the objective evidence.  that dude should be shot to mars.  hearing his name innately triggers a psychologically violent reaction inside my soul.
You sound like you need a little hill country, maybe some of that ol top down...
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Just catching up on thread and this isn’t support for the post or poster but those aren’t wealthy suburbs. 

This has already been discussed but all of those suburbs in TX are $100k+ median household income and most of them are at or above $150k. That's well above county and statewide figures and absolutely qualifies as a wealthy community in TX. 

And again, the point is not limited to TX. The entire map was small suburban communities that no doubt exhibit much higher income/wealth than most of the surrounding areas. Don't need to be a rocket surgeon to deduce that these are relatively low crime areas.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Born to Run said:
16 hours ago, sidis said:

You sound like you need a little hill country, maybe some of that ol top down...

Depends on what her top looks like.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

This has already been discussed but all of those suburbs in TX are $100k+ median household income and most of them are at or above $150k. That's well above county and statewide figures and absolutely qualifies as a wealthy community in TX. 

And again, the point is not limited to TX. The entire map was small suburban communities that no doubt exhibit much higher income/wealth than most of the surrounding areas. Don't need to be a rocket surgeon to deduce that these are relatively low crime areas.

Keller, Little Elm and Wylie aren’t wealthy communities. By any metric. I’m only taking exception to your use of the word wealthy and not any other point you’re trying to make. 

On 8/3/2023 at 10:51 AM, Js1 said:

I will honestly say when people whine about “the increase in crime,” I know not to listen to them 

Take it to the gun threads.

9 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Keller, Little Elm and Wylie aren’t wealthy communities. By any metric. I’m only taking exception to your use of the word wealthy and not any other point you’re trying to make. 

Have you considered that your yardstick for "wealthy" may be a bit skewed towards the top end? 

27 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Have you considered that your yardstick for "wealthy" may be a bit skewed towards the top end? 

It's Surly...the place where people are trapped by making $250k/ year.  

I am in agreement with you that the scale varies like a motherfucker, but generally speaking, no, those places are not considered 'wealthy.'

7 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Dude, you can obtuse as fuck sometimes.

I didn't say it.  You did.  and it's still crazy.

You work in a highly specialized field, but that is somehow the fault of Texas.  That's damned sure in the spirit of this thread.

Edited by slorch

5 minutes ago, slorch said:

You work in a highly specialized field, but that is somehow the fault of Texas.  That's damned sure in the spirit of this thread.

Your Texas Tech degree is showing. The spirit of this thread has been that it's getting way too fucking hot, the states infrastructure is getting more and more brittle, and it's no longer an affordable state thanks to rising costs of living and shit like property taxes and insurance rates growing out of control. 

19 minutes ago, slorch said:

I am in agreement with you that the scale varies like a motherfucker, but generally speaking, no, those places are not considered 'wealthy.'

And yeah I think you're also off on your calibration. Yeah no shit dude your country club buddies would think someone living in the suburbs is a poor, but just being able to own your home and have some stability makes you better off than most. Inequality and wealth disparity is as bad as it was during the gilded age, and you need to wake up to that fact.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Your Texas Tech degree is showing. The spirit of this thread has been that it's getting way too fucking hot, the states infrastructure is getting more and more brittle, and it's no longer an affordable state thanks to rising costs of living and shit like property taxes and insurance rates growing out of control. 

And yeah I think you're also off on your calibration. Yeah no shit dude your country club buddies would think someone living in the suburbs is a poor, but just being able to own your home and have some stability makes you better off than most. Inequality and wealth disparity is as bad as it was during the gilded age, and you need to wake up to that fact.

1. Never have been a member of a country club.  Ever.  LOLfreaking L.

2. The spirit of this thread is that we're surrounded by nazis who can't read or go to a dentist.  But we're not going to do jack shit about it besides blame Texas.

2b- I support education and employment, bigtime.  Those address social mobility in the most direct way possible.  They are absolutely available in Texas.  People can have their (imaginary) excuses, or they can do something about their situation.  You prefer to worry and gripe.  Cool.

Edited by slorch

19 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

you should’ve applied for a job and started work the next day. Who knew that Jim’s crispy was not for you after 15 minutes? Got to keep the cap and shirt though…

• Like 1

A self-employed 25 yo person with a solo 401(k) starting today at that income level could dump $60K a year in retirement.

Pick any 20 year period of stock, market increase, and you are looking at several million dollars for your retirement.   The median 401(k) in America right now is less than $50K at that 20 years later age. The median savings account would be less than 7K.  Naturally, an older person only getting that $250k later in life would have a much more problematic wealth acquisition hurdle.

I’m happy for you, Scrooge McDuck, but I don’t think you are very grounded in what most people in America make and keep.  

You do make a valid point by accident. Having had a brief bankruptcy practice, I can tell you that people with a salary in excess of 250k - with the awesome expensive cars and the McMansion and private schools and Country Club membership - could very well be living paycheck to paycheck.    “Not wealthy”

“Wealth” is really the freedom and assets you have left to spend after you pay your nut.  A person making half of what another person makes may have far more disposable income to spend or invest. Ya know, wealthier.  See the FIRE thread. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1