Speaking of being offended: cmt pulls Jason aldean video

closetohumping

7 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I'll bet it does with Luke Combs singing it.

It's actually not bad.  And he's managed to put a buncha money in Tracy Chapman's pocket by doing so.  AND make her the first black female songwriter to have a #1 song on the country charts.  I'll allow it.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I'll bet it does with Luke Combs singing it.

Give it a listen. He sticks true to Tracy Chapman's original. Combs is a good artist compared to the bro country guys like Aldean, etc. He writes his own stuff (not Fast Car, obviously) and is a talented singer.

1 minute ago, royiv said:

Give it a listen. He sticks true to Tracy Chapman's original.

Then why would I listen to it?  If you're gonna cover something, you have to give your own interpretation.  Like Jimi with Watchtower or Manfred Mann with Blinded.  Otherwise, what's the point?

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Beau Vine said:

Then why would I listen to it?  If you're gonna cover something, you have to give your own interpretation.  Like Jimi with Watchtower or Manfred Mann with Blinded.  Otherwise, what's the point?

Okay. You do you. I try to keep my mind open when someone makes a suggestion of something to check out instead of saying it sucks out of hand. I've discovered lots of stuff I wouldn't have otherwise listened to that way.

6 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

or Manfred Mann with Blinded. 

Correct.  Like Luke Combs sang, 

I remember when we were driving, driving in your car

Speed so fast with your dick in my trunk

Powerful stuff.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

200.gif

For serious.

He kinda does both. It’s interesting hearing a guy sing the exact same lyrics. It’s not bad.

7 minutes ago, royiv said:

Okay. You do you. I try to keep my mind open when someone makes a suggestion of something to check out instead of saying it sucks out of hand. I've discovered lots of stuff I wouldn't have otherwise listened to that way.

Sorry, I'm just not into cover bands.

4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Not an expert but I *heard* on one of the stations him and that small group of buddies of his write a shitload of the songs they do. Don’t know if true or not. 

This latest Bryan cover of Fast Car is pretty good. But I’m not sure I’ve heard a bad cover of it. 

I dont know who sings Fast Car ( redux version), but its not Luke Bryan

Edited by jdhorn92

24 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It's actually not bad.  And he's managed to put a buncha money in Tracy Chapman's pocket by doing so.  AND make her the first black female songwriter to have a #1 song on the country charts.  I'll allow it.

And he has a ton of respect for her songwriting AND it's caused a huge spike in downloads of her original. 

“Oh man, ‘Fast Car’ has surprised me more than you can imagine. Tracy Chapman wrote this perfect song that that I first heard with my dad and it has stayed with me since,” Combs tells Billboard exclusively. “I have played it in my live show now for six-plus years and everyone — I mean everyone — across all these stadiums relates to this song and sings along. That’s the gift of a supernatural song writer. The success of my cover is unreal and I think it’s so cool that Tracy is getting recognized and has reached new milestones. I love that she is out there feeling all the love and that she gave me a shout-out! Thank you, Tracy!”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Sorry, I'm just not into cover bands.

I’m so sorry you had to sit through the following horror shows of cover material:

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper 

Proud Mary by Ike and Tina Turner

Respect by Aretha Franklin

Me and Bobby McGee by Janis Joplin

All Along the Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix

Plus, all those assholes covering David Allen Coe and Rodney Crowell. 

Dammit Boiler!  lol

Edited by Gatorubet

Confusing Luke Bryan w/ Luke Combs is borderline inexcusable. 

Bryan is kind of part of the pretty-boy-bro-country genre, but he's at the upper echelon - in that he writes much of his music and is far less annoying than folks like Wallen and Aldean.  As already alluded, Wallen and Aldean are Nickelback.  Bryan is closer to Def Leppard.

Combs has an interesting backstory - and his Vine clips helped launch his career.  Plus, he's not really a douche like Aldean and Wallen.  I find Combs to be musically talented and he gets significant bonus points for writing most of his music.  He has written or co-written all but 3 of the of his recordings.

Here are some of Combs' vines:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFXKzssRV6E

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Rev’ed up like a douche

also

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Exactly.  Like, for instance, the way Janis ruined "Me and Bobby McGee" and Aretha destroyed "Respect".

Christ, dude:

If you're gonna cover something, you have to give your own interpretation.  Like Jimi with Watchtower or Manfred Mann with Blinded.  Otherwise, what's the point?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boilerhorn said:

Confusing Luke Bryan w/ Luke Combs is borderline inexcusable. 

Bryan is kind of part of the pretty-boy-bro-country genre, but he's at the upper echelon - in that he writes much of his music and is far less annoying than folks like Wallen and Aldean.  As already alluded, Wallen and Aldean are Nickelback.  Bryan is closer to Def Leppard.

Combs has an interesting backstory - and his Vine clips helped launch his career.  Plus, he's not really a douche like Aldean and Wallen.  I find Combs to be musically talented and he gets significant bonus points for writing most of his music.  He has written or co-written all but 3 of the of his recordings.

Here are some of Combs' vines:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFXKzssRV6E

Aldean is an ugly bitch.  

combs nailed fast car.  Respek

• Like 1

I think a big difference in the two versions was that one was sung by a 24 year old black, female singer-songwriter and the other by a white, male country music star ten years older.  Also Chapman's version is slightly quicker paced in terms of bpm as Combs'.  I like both.   

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

You didn't even listen to it.  As others have pointed out, he did Tracy a huge solid by getting her song back out there, which is making her money, and as the writer of one of the most iconic songs of the last 40 years, she deserves all the money she can get.

It's pretty much a bad faith argument to say "why would I listen to something true to the original?" when you . . . don't know it's true to the original until somebody claims it is.

Here's a live version.  Tell me this guy doesn't drip talent.  Put your listening ears on and see if you can tell me how it DIFFERS from the original (which it does).

You have forgotten more about music than I'll ever know, so there's absolutely no way in hell I'm going to get in a musical critique discussion with you.

I will stand by my position that I do not appreciate or see the artistic merit in covers that are incredibly similar to the original.  I don't know if that describes this song or not (royiv implied that it did) and it definitely doesn't describe M&BM or Respect.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I think a big difference in the two versions was that one was sung by a 24 year old black, female singer-songwriter and the other by a white, male country music star ten years older.  Also Chapman's version is slightly quicker paced in terms of bpm as Combs'.  I like both.   

Yes, his is slightly more laconic, and also pitched down a half step, almost surely for vocal reasons.  Beyond that, the live version rocks the chorus more.

In the end, it's a song he's been playing forever, and he used his fame to do some good for someone he respects.  I don't fault him a bit for it.  As it turns out, superstars can be fans, too.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I will stand by my position that I do not appreciate or see the artistic merit in covers that are incredibly similar to the original.  I don't know if that describes this song or not (royiv implied that it did) and it definitely doesn't describe M&BM or Respect.

Actually, I think Aretha hit the vibe of Otis Redding's version pretty dead on.  She was just a superior singer (and that's no disrespect to Otis, he was a titan).  She totally elevated the melody, which goes to your point for sure.

The below version from Tracy Chapman is a little slower and still fantastic.  The wonderful thing about any form of art is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  So, not liking covers lacking artist interpretation makes sense.  However, being Aldean's #1 fan might mean you lack taste :).  

4 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Actually, I think Aretha hit the vibe of Otis Redding's version pretty dead on.  She was just a superior singer (and that's no disrespect to Otis, he was a titan).  She totally elevated the melody, which goes to your point for sure.

I actually almost ended my previous post by mentioning that any cover that Janis or Aretha did couldn't possibly be that similar to the original, so they have natural immunity from that.  I'm also generally fine with just about any cover of Bob Dylan, for related reasons.

I'll also say that some songs are so intensely personal that any cover of them loses that connection, which automatically makes the cover inferior.  I'm talking especially about Johnny Cash fucking up Hurt, but IMO, Fast Car also goes in that category.  

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

You have forgotten more about music than I'll ever know, so there's absolutely no way in hell I'm going to get in a musical critique discussion with you.

That's definitely true. I enjoy listening to music, but I'm not a musician. I can't carry a tune or play an instrument. I'm envious of those that can. I appreciate those that turn me on to new stuff since I have weird listening habits that vary wildly. I thought you might enjoy a take on what has always been one of my favorite songs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I'll also say that some songs are so intensely personal that any cover of them loses that connection, which automatically makes the cover inferior.  I'm talking especially about Johnny Cash fucking up Hurt, but IMO, Fast Car also goes in that category.  

This is a really great point.  While I enjoy Combs' version, I still prefer Chapman's.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

Checked the song credits to confirm what I already knew… he didn’t write the song. Just performed it. What is it with modern country singers and not writing at least part of their own music? Can’t think of another genre where that’s so common. 

Before rock and folk, most performers (i.e. singers) didn't write their own songs for popular music.  The singer was usually "detached" from the band, and not just in the sense of session musicians.  Singers would make records with particular bands and "go on tour" with other bands, etc.  I think it kind of reflected the commercial nature of the music.  You had a whole building of songwriters (Brill Building) in NYC.If an entity other than a "songwriter" wrote popular music, it was the band, not the singer, most often, e.g Glenn Miller Orchestra (featuring Bing Crosby, por ejemplo).

A few of the songwriters (Johnny Mercer) had their own performing careers, but performance, playing, and songwriting tended to be separate career tracks in popular music.

It was even true of some early rock, e.g Holland-Dozier-Holland.

Nashville seems to have stuck with that "model" for a longer time than the rest of popular music.  And that may well explain the inauthenticity of a lot of country music.  And, of course, a lot of the more "manufactured pop" has separate songwriters.

But rock and folk, where the bands were close ensembles that mattered as much or more than the singer, are a relatively new development, along with writing their own songs. 

. . . and while this obviously isn't the music forum, I've helped derail the thread off the original topic, so I'll ask this:

How damn good IS "Fast Car", as Tracy Chapman wrote and recorded it?  Name another song like it.  I'll wait. 

(Intermediate commentary:  the combination of guitar hook, lyrical content, and melody are some of the best ever in pop music.  That song is totally underrated.)

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

. . . and while this obviously isn't the music forum, I've helped derail the thread off the original topic, so I'll ask this:

How damn good IS "Fast Car", as Tracy Chapman wrote and recorded it?  Name another song like it.  I'll wait. 

(Intermediate commentary:  the combination of guitar hook, lyrical content, and melody are some of the best ever in pop music.  That song is totally underrated.)

Was a child when it came out.  But she sang it so well and to me it told the story of a poor couple trying to escape, dream chasing and also how transportation , in thsi case the automobile changed our lives for the better