Arch Manning Being "Arch"

LTtxfan

Yesterday was concerning from a Ewers development standpoint. He has just been very slow developing on the mental side of the position. Read progression just isn't there yet. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the advice from scouts to stay another year and develop his ability to command a game mentally. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

Someone posted a video of us blocking a bitchmade Tech player into our sideline during the kickoff TD and said that’s when the injury happened. Don’t think it was just from cheering. But your point stands.

Man that sucks for the kid. But jeez, it doesn't seem to matter what he does lol. He could be writing with a notepad pen and gouge his own eye out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, dad said:

His wheels and the zip behind the ball is already way better than Ewers. Look at how much his team mates hyped him up around him. We want QBs who other great recruits gravitate to and that's what I saw. I saw enough flashes to know he's going to be a good QB.

Dude had to literally calm the crowd down lol 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, troph said:

I feel bad for the 9-1 QB in that room. The kid is getting nitpicked to death by a bunch of middle aged couch jocks.

you feel bad for quinn ewers because three or four people on surly have been mildly critical of him? any word on how quinn is taking it? is he ok? lol. of all the things to be upset about…

Edited by shadow_operative

4 hours ago, Jewish Wang said:

People are quick to dismiss how good Quinn is and I don’t get it at all

9/10 people here are extremely vocal about their support and belief in quinn ewers. you’re taking the opinions of a small minority, blowing them out of proportion, and then focusing on them, when in reality almost everyone here sees QE the same way you do. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

you feel bad for quinn ewers because three or four people on surly have been mildly critical of him? any word on how quinn is taking it? is he ok? lol. of all the things to be upset about…

When your back up gets a massive standing ovation - more than you’ve received coming off the field after securing your teams first berth in the conference championship game since 2018 and a chance to win it for the first time since 2009  - knowing that a ton of fans are like those here that think AM is already better? Yeah. I do.

5 hours ago, Jewish Wang said:

A bullshit stat given Quinn certainly would’ve won 11 this year if healthy. I can’t believe there is even one poster seriously advocating Arch replacing Quinn next year if Quinn comes back (not you). People are quick to dismiss how good Quinn is and I don’t get it at all. 

His recent play is still stuck in people's minds, so surely the backup right now is better. Surely, right? Maalik sure lit the world on fire after his spring game 

25 minutes ago, troph said:

When your back up gets a massive standing ovation - more than you’ve received coming off the field after securing your teams first berth in the conference championship game since 2018 and a chance to win it for the first time since 2009  - knowing that a ton of fans are like those here that think AM is already better? Yeah. I do.

Nah, he has spoken.  90% of people here fully appreciate QE. 

Yeah the braintrust Arch has guiding him is pretty special, obviously, with generations of people who know what it takes to develop a QB the right way. I've always thought they were good with him being redshirted, and in fact if they're as smart as I think they are, that's precisely what they'd push for, imho.
I still don't get why anyone still thinks redshirting wasnt the plan all along. Even Archie all but said that outright during an interview. He was talking about how Peyton had to play right away, but Eli shirted his first year and didn't start until he was a Junior, annnd...how he thought the way Eli did it was the better way to go.

4 minutes ago, ousux said:
4 hours ago, wood said:
Yeah the braintrust Arch has guiding him is pretty special, obviously, with generations of people who know what it takes to develop a QB the right way. I've always thought they were good with him being redshirted, and in fact if they're as smart as I think they are, that's precisely what they'd push for, imho.

I still don't get why anyone still thinks redshirting wasnt the plan all along. Even Archie all but said that outright during an interview. He was talking about how Peyton had to play right away, but Eli shirted his first year and didn't start until he was a Junior, annnd...how he thought the way Eli did it was the better way to go.

Exactly. And yeah I think I remember that video. Redshirting is the way to go when you want to do it right and have the luxury.

5 minutes ago, ousux said:
4 hours ago, wood said:

I’m pretty sure everyone knows that. 

31 minutes ago, troph said:

you think Quinn took the fans’ happiness for Arch as a slight towards himself? you are seriously overthinking this. QE gets mad love everywhere he goes, he’s the most popular guy on campus. his feelings are not hurt when the fans cheer for Arch, and the musings of a few random dudes on the internet are not anywhere near his radar. this isn’t garrett gilbert we’re talking about here. QE is a god on campus.

• Hook 'Em 3

Outsiders don't seem to get that, and I've even seen some here wonder why he hasn't played this year. As for the last part, Okie Lite game was our only mudhole so far, Sark isn't playing a true Freshman QB unless there's no better choice.

50 minutes ago, ousux said:
54 minutes ago, Jewish Wang said:

Outsiders don't seem to get that, and I've even seen some here wonder why he hasn't played this year. As for the last part, Okie Lite game was our only mudhole so far, Sark isn't playing a true Freshman QB unless there's no better choice.

I’m pretty certain I don’t give a fuck what my coonass bro in law from Baton Rouge thinks, or any other outsider. We have another 1.00 QB on the roster - one of 3 total. And one that Derka respects. 

Along with getting Arch some real gametime experience, I think Sark wanted some recruits to see the wunderkind is in fact real, showing off his potential and the support the fans have for him.  Probably help sell some portal possibles too.   

I also agree that he waited for the last 4 (potential) games, so even if he had to play Arch in each game going forward, his shirt won't be burned.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Well I for one, selfishly feel much better seeing Arch out there yesterday. Agree, it was great optics and hopefully pulls or solidifies some recruits on the fence.

Small sample size, yesterday and spring game, but it just seems like he has some intangibles we haven't consistently seen with Quinn and certainly not Malik. Dude has juice, I'm excited.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m pretty certain I don’t give a fuck what my coonass bro in law from Baton Rouge thinks, or any other outsider. We have another 1.00 QB on the roster - one of 3 total. And one that Derka respects. 
I was talking about talking heads who have been speculating ever since word got out Ewers is likely coming back. My YT suggested videos are filled with videos about "is Arch hitting the portal?" and/or "where should Arch transfer?" But before all that there were many who didn't think he would tolerate Maalik filling in for an injured Quinn and would be hitting the portal. These may be coonass cousins of yours, no idea about that...but they have national platforms to inform the CFB world they're uninformed.

6 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Yesterday was concerning from a Ewers development standpoint. He has just been very slow developing on the mental side of the position. Read progression just isn't there yet. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the advice from scouts to stay another year and develop his ability to command a game mentally. 

We have all seen this all season.

Even though no one on this board is an NFL scout, there have been posts all season stating that Quinn should come back for another season and everyone who said “There’s no way Quinn is coming back.” said it because of $$$$ reasons, not because they thought that he was ready.

Reporters who cover the team have been saying that Quinn is “most probably coming back” for the last two weeks. 

1 hour ago, pyrohornIII said:

Along with getting Arch some real gametime experience, I think Sark wanted some recruits to see the wunderkind is in fact real, showing off his potential and the support the fans have for him.  Probably help sell some portal possibles too.   

I also agree that he waited for the last 4 (potential) games, so even if he had to play Arch in each game going forward, his shirt won't be burned.  

Reporters & game announcers hinted earlier this season at least two different game weeks/ during game broadcasts that we were likely to see Arch get his first snaps.

1) Arch was supposed to get snaps before this weekend, but the offense kept underperforming and Maalik didn’t get in the game early enough to then give Arch a series or two after Maalik.

2) Arch was always going to redshirt, but the plan wasn’t to wait until the last 4 games of the season.

The plan was to get 2 t 3 games during the regular season and then leave him the opportunity to get a series in a post season blowout. ESPECIALLY if Quinn was going to leave.

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

We have all seen this all season.

Even though no one on this board is an NFL scout, there have been posts all season stating that Quinn should come back for another season and everyone who said “There’s no way Quinn is coming back.” said it because of $$$$ reasons, not because they thought that he was ready.

Reporters who cover the team have been saying that Quinn is “most probably coming back” for the last two weeks. 

Honestly, irregardless of what the scouts tell him I'll still be surprised if he returns. Maybe he realizes that skipping his senior year of HS slowed his development but I think it's just as likely he thinks he can adjust to the NFL in a season or two and wants to get his clock started on that giant NFL non rookie QB contract asap. 

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

image.gif.d078f9634bf6a5f16bb4ae37dfecebac.gif

Irregardless was popularized in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its increasingly widespread spoken use called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

Jack Nicholson Deal With It GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 hours ago, Hermanator said:

he thinks he can adjust to the NFL in a season or two and wants to get his clock started on that giant NFL non rookie QB contract asap. 

Maybe someone remind him its been 3 years in college and hes stull outside the top 15 in passer rating…

19 hours ago, Hermanator said:

He’s got better in that area since last year but there’s still room for plenty of improvement. He had another self sack against tech when all he had to do was hit Sanders wide open underneath. At least Ewers is checking it down more this year. I think something else the scouts want to see is more complete games from him. Weirdly, when Ewers starts off a little rattled he usually finishes strong (OU and Iowa st being examples). 

BOMC been on the front page of CNN since yesterday. I’m sure aggy is not happy.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/25/sport/arch-manning-debut-texas-longhorns-spt-intl/index.html

Arch Manning’s uncles – Peyton and Eli – have won four Super Bowls and three Super Bowl MVP awards between them, were both selected as the No. 1 pick in the draft, and became NFL legends during their careers.

And Arch, the latest quarterback in the Manning dynasty, made his long-awaited, much anticipated debut on Friday for Texas Longhorns as they dismantled Texas Tech 57-7.

The 18-year-old freshman came on late in the third quarter for starter Quinn Ewers and played the entirety of the fourth, finishing with 2-of-5 passing for 30 yards and added a 12-yard run too.

“I’ve never seen a quarterback go into the game as a backup … when Arch went in, I mean the crowd was buzzing,” Texas coach Steve Sarkisian said, according to ESPN. “We had to try to quiet the crowd.”

A highly-touted prospect, Manning’s talent – and name – has ensured that he has long been earmarked for football success. Before committing to Texas, he broke his high school’s records for career passing yards and touchdowns in 2022, which were previously held by his uncles, Eli and Peyton.

He was ranked No. 1 nationally by 247Sports, On3 and Rivals, and the No. 1 among quarterbacks by ESPN.

• Hook 'Em 1

Honestly, irregardless of what the scouts tell him I'll still be surprised if he returns. Maybe he realizes that skipping his senior year of HS slowed his development but I think it's just as likely he thinks he can adjust to the NFL in a season or two and wants to get his clock started on that giant NFL non rookie QB contract asap. 
Pre NIL, absolutely. You do know he tools around Austin in an Aston Martin, right? NIL makes it far more palatable to come back and raise draft stock...which could mean quite a difference in pay if he wins some awards and goes to the ceremony in NY next year.

2 hours ago, Hermanator said:

NIL is nice but

Even middle of the pack NFL QBs are making 30-40+ mil a year. 

Not really, or should I say, not even close.

The median wage for all NFL players is around $860,000, which is considerably lower, and First-year rookies earn a minimum of $435,000. While top quarterbacks can make over $25 to $30 million per year, the average salary for all quarterbacks is $5,766,000, with a median income of $1,100,000.Sep 5, 2023

Edited by Longhornlove
  • Hook 'Em 2

Regarding popularity on campus:  this is purely anecdotal, but I asked my son (who is a student living in West Campus and who goes to all the games) what he thought of Arch.  "Oh, man it was so cool to see his first snap and first pass completion.  I'll tell that story when he's super famous."

So I asked him if Arch should play over Quinn?  "Oh, hell no."