Opening acts better than the headliner...

Paul Wesley

It seems to me that Mountain actually was a better show than Deep Purple too. Not that Purple was bad, but Mountain bring it. Corky Laing had a dude whose only job was standing his cymbals back up as he repeatedly knocked them over.

• Haha 1

99.99% of the concerts I've been to have terrible open acts. I wonder if  bands do that on purpose to not have any chance of being upstage.

The only one I've attended in person that falls in this category is the Monsters of Rock in 88 or 89. Five bands on the bill, with Van Halen being he headliner, and the scorpions the number two band. 

Metallica was just blowing up and brought an attitude and volume that blew the stadium away.  The scorpions seem so tame and old by comparison.   Van Halen acted like big man on campus, but I think they knew as well that Metallica won the day.

• Hook 'Em 1

Went to see Van Halen on the Balance tour. Skid Row opened for them.

Sebastian Bach owned the stage. Van Halen was... washed up.

Also went to see Alice in Chains (with  DuVall) open for Velvet Revolver. Velvet Revolver was great, but Alice in Chains was transcendent.

In both cases, I became a bigger fan of the bands after the show.

Back in the early 90's my girlfriend (now wife) dragged me to a Mary Chapin Carpenter concert - I didn't know anything about her and still don't.  The opening act was so much better and my wife agrees.  The Mavericks with Flaco Jimenez put on one of the best live shows I've seen.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

In that case, did nobody here see VH open for sabbath or montrose in 1978 to confirm that one?

Yes.  I can confirm.  VH stole the show from Black Sabbath at the Dallas County Convention Center.  

VH’s set was their entire first album (or close to it) with their cover of You’re No Good as their encore.  VH Was still earning their stripes at that point and lit the joint on fire.  

BS seemed drug-addled and disinterested.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Two really come to mind.

Fall of 1978, Van Halen opens for Black Sabbath at Sam Houston Coliseum .  Van Halen is the hungry hunter and fucking kicks ass, walked out on Sabbath maybe 4 songs in.  But Van Halen was really, really, really good, and I still fell lucky to have seen them in their prime.

Second was in March '81 (had to look it up). Stevie Ray Vaughn opened up for George Thorogood and the Destroyers at the old Austin Opry House.  Great smaller venue and SRV fucking ripped it up.  In fact when Thorogood stepped up to the mike (paraphrasing) " Well, we can't do that, but we are gonna rock this place!"  Good overall concert, but SRV planted the flag, and it was still waving when the destroyers left the stage.

I also remember walking out on Aerosmith at the Coliseum, but can't remember who the opening act was.  It was really disappointing, since I was onto Aerosmith before most anyone. Owning one of the first pressings before they changed to cover, and removed all the drug history and craziness from the album.  Really, really, really disappointing as Tyler's voice fucking sucked, and he was in his toss pills out of his scarf stage.

I'm sure there were at least a few others.  Sure wish I had kept all my stubs, they would be worth a lot now, or make a cool ass collage.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Sure wish I had kept all my stubs, they would be worth a lot now, or make a cool ass collage.

I was looking through mine the other night. I am missing one or two, but have a surprising number. I would say probably 50 percent of the acts I saw were free shows though so a big hole in the record.

• Hook 'Em 1

Metallica on the Ozzy tour at the Frank Erwin Center, 1986.

First time ever I saw the arena already full for an opening act.

We had floor seats and we walked in to the arena right as Ecstasy of Gold was playing.

So we jumped on the first floor seats we saw: tenth row.

Battery starts blaring and the whole arena went wild.

Folks in the mezzanine were going nuts.

I gotta be honest it was scary.

They played their set and it was like a relief but at the same time you could tell the crowd was ready for more.

During Ozzy's set we went back to our seats in the back by the sound equipment.

I was there for Metallica.

And over by the crew but by himself was Kirk Hammett.

He was watching the show.

Surprisingly I went over to him and I shook his hand.

I was 16 and a scrawny shy motherfucker.

Edited by Davis Lane
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, horn4life said:

Two really come to mind.

Fall of 1978, Van Halen opens for Black Sabbath at Sam Houston Coliseum .  Van Halen is the hungry hunter and fucking kicks ass, walked out on Sabbath maybe 4 songs in.  But Van Halen was really, really, really good, and I still fell lucky to have seen them in their prime.

Second was in March '81 (had to look it up). Stevie Ray Vaughn opened up for George Thorogood and the Destroyers at the old Austin Opry House.  Great smaller venue and SRV fucking ripped it up.  In fact when Thorogood stepped up to the mike (paraphrasing) " Well, we can't do that, but we are gonna rock this place!"  Good overall concert, but SRV planted the flag, and it was still waving when the destroyers left the stage.

I also remember walking out on Aerosmith at the Coliseum, but can't remember who the opening act was.  It was really disappointing, since I was onto Aerosmith before most anyone. Owning one of the first pressings before they changed to cover, and removed all the drug history and craziness from the album.  Really, really, really disappointing as Tyler's voice fucking sucked, and he was in his toss pills out of his scarf stage.

I'm sure there were at least a few others.  Sure wish I had kept all my stubs, they would be worth a lot now, or make a cool ass collage.

SRV at the Astrodome opening for The Who in 89.  His set was so hot that Bill Graham brought him back out for an encore. Never seen that from an opening act before. 
I love The Who but this was the tour where they had the whole huge band. Who on Ice. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, qwertyu1234 said:

My dad went to a concert in which a lot of the people left after skynyrd opened for Peter frampton.

Not sure if it was Frampton, but I watched a vid of Skynnyrd as an opening act for someone and they killed it.  I've heard it ranks as one of the top in this category.

6 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Black Crowes opened up for Aerosmith in 1990.
They were amazing.  Aerosmith not so much.

I get the feeling that Aerosmith needed the drugs to bring it. Never learned how to put that energy on stage without it.

6 hours ago, 66BUFF said:

Def Leppard opened up for Billy Squier in Denver in 1983

Oof. Squier... now there's a guy who fell down far and fast.

4 hours ago, Davis Lane said:

Metallica on the Ozzy tour at the Frank Erwin Center, 1986.

First time ever I saw the arena already full for an opening act.

We had floor seats and we walked in to the arena right as Ecstasy of Gold was playing.

So we jumped on the first floor seats we saw: tenth row.

Battery starts blaring and the whole arena went wild.

Folks in the mezzanine were going nuts.

I gotta be honest it was scary.

They played their set and it was like a relief but at the same time you could tell the crowd was ready for more.

During Ozzy's set we went back to our seats in the back by the sound equipment.

I was there for Metallica.

And over by the crew but by himself was Kirk Hammett.

He was watching the show.

Surprisingly I went over to him and I shook his hand.

I was 16 and a scrawny shy motherfucker.

Metallica's crowd was still scary on the Reload tour. Was in the pit at the Coors Amphitheatre, last show on the tour. Wouldn't have missed it for the world, anyway. Their studio albums were getting weaker around then, but they still brought it for the live show.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, squib said:

Southpark Meadows sometime early '90s. Gin Blossoms > Spin Doctors. 

Huh. I've seen both those bands separately and I would not characterize them that way, but maybe together it was different.

19 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I get the feeling that Aerosmith needed the drugs to bring it. Never learned how to put that energy on stage without it.

Oof. Squier... now there's a guy who fell down far and fast.

Metallica's crowd was still scary on the Reload tour. Was in the pit at the Coors Amphitheatre, last show on the tour. Wouldn't have missed it for the world, anyway. Their studio albums were getting weaker around then, but they still brought it for the live show.

Is that the one where the stage collapsed as part of the show?

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

Huh. I've seen both those bands separately and I would not characterize them that way, but maybe together it was different.

Is that the one where the stage collapsed as part of the show?

The Metallica show? No...

And actually, now that you mention it, it might've been the tour after Garage, Inc. Was a while back.

pardon an off-topic tangent here

What I mostly remember from it were:

* This big middle aged chick getting offered a drag off a joint these guys had smuggled in inside a disposable camera body (remember those?)... and she almost consumed it in one drag. the looks on their faces were priceless (but entirely understandable, that was not cool)... fortunately, they had more

* a fight almost breaking out in the mosh pit

* a chick in the pit showing her tits. First one hand reached up for a grope, then two, then four, then eight... then her being all "get me the fuck outta here" at her boyfriend

* Jason successfully dodging a beer cup without missing a beat (Sugar Ray Leonard would've been impressed)

* James unsuccessfully dodging one that pegged him dead center of the forehead, him stopping the show to chew out the assholes, and then the crowd immediately turning on the asshole who threw it

* Jason dumping beer all over the drums during the encores, everyone in the crew being on stage (like I said, last stop on the tour)

* oh yeah, the music was good, too

---

but yeah. Scariest crowd I've ever been with, and that was a good decade later.

anyway, great topic @Paul Wesley, pardon the off topic bit

4 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

The Metallica show? No...

And actually, now that you mention it, it might've been the tour after Garage, Inc. Was a while back.

pardon an off-topic tangent here

What I mostly remember from it were:

* This big middle aged chick getting offered a drag off a joint these guys had smuggled in inside a disposable camera body (remember those?)... and she almost consumed it in one drag. the looks on their faces were priceless (but entirely understandable, that was not cool)... fortunately, they had more

* a fight almost breaking out in the mosh pit

* a chick in the pit showing her tits. First one hand reached up for a grope, then two, then four, then eight... then her being all "get me the fuck outta here" at her boyfriend

* Jason successfully dodging a beer cup without missing a beat (Sugar Ray Leonard would've been impressed)

* James unsuccessfully dodging one that pegged him dead center of the forehead, him stopping the show to chew out the assholes, and then the crowd immediately turning on the asshole who threw it

* Jason dumping beer all over the drums during the encores, everyone in the crew being on stage (like I said, last stop on the tour)

* oh yeah, the music was good, too

---

but yeah. Scariest crowd I've ever been with, and that was a good decade later.

anyway, great topic @Paul Wesley, pardon the off topic bit

It was back in '97. I caught them here at the Hampton Coliseum for that tour. Pretty good show. After the stage collapsed they came out and sat underneath four light bulbs for the encore.

I wouldn't say it was a super rough crowd though. Slayer is far rougher. Pennywise too believe it or not.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Deej said:

1986/87 Beastie Boys "Licensed to Ill" tour. Austin. City Coliseum. Fishbone opened and absolutely crushed it, making the Beastie Boys look exactly like the amateurs they were at the time. 

They got better.

But yeah, I remember hearing those early Beastie Boys shows were ... really bad.

Edited by Rimbo

4 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

They got better.

But yeah, I remember hearing those early Beastie Boys shows were ... really bad.

They were shitfaced by the time they got on stage. Fishbone was fantastic. I saw them again a few years ago, and while they were much older, they were still fantastic. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Saw The Cult open for Billy Idol at Reunion Arena back in '87 and while both were good, The Cult were on another level.

The Cult are insane good when they are on. Which admittedly isn't always, but boy when they are...

• Hook 'Em 2

Already mentioned but June 5 2000 Compaq Center.  Foo did this sadly short set.

1.     Monkey Wrench

2.     Learn to Fly

3.     Breakout

4.     For All the Cows

5.     I'll Stick Around

6.     Big Me

7.     Stacked Actors

8.     Next Year

9.     Alone + Easy Target

Encore:

10.        Everlong

11.        This Is a Call

Beat the shit out of the RHCP and this was the Californication tour.

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

1982 Beaumont Civic Center.....

.38 Special opened for and was far superior to Eddie Money

I feel like any act that relied on using Toto in their studio hits is probably going to disappoint in the live show, unless they dragged Toto along with them on tour. (Which some of them did.)

On 8/22/2023 at 2:46 PM, Sbbruin said:

Not sure if it was Frampton, but I watched a vid of Skynnyrd as an opening act for someone and they killed it.  I've heard it ranks as one of the top in this category.

You're probably thinking about the Knebworth show with the Rolling Stones in 1976.

• Hook 'Em 1

April 1979 - Saw Muddy Waters open for Eric Clapton at the Summit in Houston

1987 - Saw Johnny Winter open for George Thorogood at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, MD.  Kind of an insult if you're a blues fan, that a master should open for a talentless poser.

September 1981 - Saw Stevie Ray Vaughan open for Johnny Winter at the Austin Opera House.  I love me some Johnny, but while he was great, he was a wee bit off that night, and Stevie was on...like REALLY on.  Between the two of them, that was probably the finest night of live music I've ever experienced.

• Hook 'Em 1

Faith No More opening for Billy Idol in 1990 I think.  Both were good but Faith No More brought it.

Candlebox opening for Rush in 1994 at the Erwin Center.  This one is kind of a forfeit though.  Candlebox killed it, but Rush didn't really have a chance.  For some reason their sound engineering was so bad, it made my ears almost bleed.  I had to leave after a few songs.  I'd heard Rush  before and it was a great show.