Week 1 2023 - Rice @ Texas

Wulaw Horn

15 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Heat is definitely a serious concern. I do not remember a worse summer than this one. I've been unable to go for years due to my health making me unable to tolerate heat for years, so take care and have a blast my friends!

Are you still able to go to night or late season games?

15 minutes ago, Candi Fisther said:

Could anyone provide insight on the toddler policy?

Would like to bring my 3 y/o nephew to the game but we’re a ticket short. He’s pretty small so it’s not an issue to keep him in a lap.

If there’s a bunch of toddlers at the Rice game then that’s a good indicator that this season is done for or if there aren’t any toddlers then that’s bad also.  It’s science.  

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Deej said:

Talk all the shit you want about the Rice cheerleaders. In a few years, when only the top 4% get into UT, that's what ours will look like. 

11 hours ago, Deej said:

Five more years and it will look like a Vc Mackey wet dream. 

Ok, boomer Carl.

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

This is odd. Nahlin said this morning he heard that CJ Baxter will get the start at RB ahead of Jonathon Brooks. 

I am not sure it matters too much. I would think that their carries will be split pretty evenly. The only thing to raise an eyebrow about would be if JBrooks got dinged again. 

44 minutes ago, Candi Fisther said:

Would like to bring my 3 y/o nephew to the game but we’re a ticket short. He’s pretty small so it’s not an issue to keep him in a lap.

Just smuggle him in in a backpack and you should be fine. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Candi Fisther said:

3 yo needs own ticket. Cutoff is 2yo. It is going to be hot as shit and a 3yo will be a drag on the experience. Now you can always tell them he is 2 etc but this sounds like a miserable experience for him and you.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Candi Fisther said:

Yeah, you really want to sit in the sun in excruciating heat with a toddler in your lap? You’d likely expedite a double case of heat stroke.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

The only thing to raise an eyebrow about would be if JBrooks got dinged again. 

If he’s hurt that leaves the rotation with Baxter, Robinson, Blue. Doesn’t matter for Rice but is that an issue moving forward? I haven’t heard any mention of Red or Wisner. 

Also regarding taking kids. I’ve been eyeing Wyoming given the kick off time. Definitely want to buy before the Alabama game. 

1 minute ago, MH BEVO said:

If he’s hurt that leaves the rotation with Baxter, Robinson, Blue. Doesn’t matter for Rice but is that an issue moving forward? I haven’t heard any mention of Red or Wisner. 

Also regarding taking kids. I’ve been eyeing Wyoming given the kick off time. Definitely want to buy before the Alabama game. 

Red was hurt and then in the coaches' doghouse for stints in the offseason. He needs to focus.

Wisner was mentioned a couple times as a "coaches like him, he's athletic, he'll get plenty of special teams run" kind of freshman.

The bolded part I'll argue, at least here. We only had to water our lawn(2.55 acres) once in 2011 due to regular rainfall. This year we haven't had a significant rain since early/mid May and our yard is burnt to a crisp. Granted, we did not water this year due to finances but have never needed to in the past because of sufficient rainfall. There are dead trees and mature shrubs everywhere in our area.

My brother in Christ, there is no argument.IMG_7521.jpgIMG_7520.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Game 1 Discussion:    "Coach Bryan Erwin"

Lunch with the Coach | Week 1 Expectations | Preparing for a New Season | On Texas Football

Bryan makes some good points, but the #1 factor on improving from last season is changing that net plays run from a negative to a positive. And one of the biggest factors there was wasting downs throwing long to Worthy. When there's about a 2% chance of success, maybe that's not what you should be doing.

But his point about Brooks having a higher YPC is meaningless. Brooks didn't have enough carries for that to even be statistically valid, and he did it on mop up time.

Edited by Hard Times
Spell

2 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

The bolded part I'll argue, at least here. We only had to water our lawn(2.55 acres) once in 2011 due to regular rainfall. This year we haven't had a significant rain since early/mid May and our yard is burnt to a crisp. Granted, we did not water this year due to finances but have never needed to in the past because of sufficient rainfall. There are dead trees and mature shrubs everywhere in our area.

All interpretations are local? Opposite for me. 2011 killed two pine trees in the backyard. Had plenty of rain in May and June this year. More sparse in July and August has been mostly dry.

This drought conversation isn’t really in the right place, and I’m going to exacerbate the situation: I’m sure 2011 was shit, but for my home in Bell County, this year has been the worst. I know for a fact in rained yesterday for the first time in at least two months, and someone else posted it had actually been more than 100:days. So it’s all dependent upon where you’re located. 2023 has been the worst in recorded history for my area. 

Before you and your brother take a 3-year-old to an afternoon football game, I suggest that you bring him to your viewing of the Bama game at your house, turn off the A/C, and make him (the 3-yr-old, not the Bro) stand in front of you. For at least two hours. If he needs to pee, you accompany him - i.e., carry him, walk completely around the block before heading to the bathroom, and do not under any circumstances rewind the game to see what you missed. No wife or SIL is allowed to enter the TV room or communicate with you or the toddler in any way other than cell phone. 

Are you starting to see your folly?

But no, go ahead and do it. You'll laugh about it in twenty years/ Maybe.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Candi Fisther said:

Why? That age sucks for events longer than 15 minutes. Get the kid a babysitter and go enjoy the game with your sibling. And the last thing you want on your lap in 100 degree weather is a warm, dumb toddler. 

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Week 1 2023 - Rice @ Texas
  • immamac locked this topic