Week 2, 2023: Texas @ Alabama

Wulaw Horn

Yeah, yeah. You have to trust me on this one. Some things even trump football. I assure you, my chi will be there in spirit.
I’m still dog cussing the back judge in the ‘65 Orange Bowl for waving off the linesman’s TD call on Joe Namath’s 4th down run.  

BTW, kudos to Texas for sending the traveling pep band. Bama punked out last year rather than sit the pep band up high at DKR. That was a pussy move. Horns fans and players will get to hear The Eyes and Texas Fight! in Tuscaloosa.  I’ll be watching somehow.
Just record it and avoid your phone or talking to anyone with even a .01% chance of watching the game or knowing the score. You may just survive this lol

SIAP...  Saw this on another site

Kirk Herbstreit comments on Texas vs Alabama

"If you look at Texas, we keep hoping — it's kind of like when USC was trying to come back. Those of us that like to see these big brands do well, I like to see Texas play well. I think it's great for the sport. So if they were able to win this game, Alabama's not out of anything. They're still right in the thick of things, but it would definitely create some shock waves and a lot of interest in what Sark is doing down in Austin. I think, not that Texas is into moral victories, but I think their performance and how they played, it wasn't just a score of the game, they took the fight to Alabama last year. If you really watched that game from the very beginning, they were not intimidated. They weren't just putting their big toe in and just kind of easing their way in. It was physical and aggressive and confident from the word go.

"If they have any chance of going on the road — it's very tough to do — it's going to have to be that same mentality of going in, that we're not going to weather the storm, we're going in there to win this game and be physical and be dominant. If you know Sark on a personal level, you'd be surprised if that's not how they approached it. But man, if you're going to win this game, you've got to come in swinging. Not playing and coaching not to lose, you've got to coach to win, just like they did a year ago. Now, again, it's going to be tougher on the road, in that environment. But with a veteran quarterback and offensive line, it gives you a better chance to play to win the game, not just hang around and find a way to win it in the fourth quarter. If you do that, you're going to lose. I think being aggressive in their approach is very important to the game.

"I think their approach to the game (last season) was right on. Most people, I'm just being honest, that play Alabama, and they see Nick Saban on the other sideline. They see him in warmups. Most teams are intimidated by that brand, by that uniform, by that helmet. I've seen so many teams go into that game and they're, 'We'll see, we'll see, we'll see,' and then they see him and they're almost beat before the game starts, but they're ease their way in because they don't want to make a mistake. Texas did the opposite of that, and it's probably because of Sark's time in Alabama. He's like, 'We're not going to be intimidated,' and they went in there with the right attitude. I think, first of all, you've got to match that. That's the biggest thing, because I think that game gave them a belief that they can stand in the middle of the ring and play with Alabama because of the way that game unfolded. Even though they don't want moral victories, that's huge for them to come into this game.

"The biggest thing to me is, can they take care of Quinn Ewers? Can he have time to throw? Because I think on the back end, with the receivers they have, they're going to have a chance to make some big plays. Sark is so creative, but the mystery to me going into this game is the Texas veteran offensive line against Dallas Turner and Chris Brasswell, can they hold off the pressures? Kevin Steele's going to dial some things up. He knows Sark very well. How does that offensive line, how do they do in run blocking? Then how do they do in protection?

"I think the line of scrimmage, to me, is really, if we look back at the end of the game and Texas either won it, or they competed or they got blown out, I think a lot of it will be dependent upon the line of scrimmage when Texas has the football — how they match up and how Sark takes some of the pressure off of them with his play calling and trying to get 'Bama a bit on their heels instead of teeing off on that offensive line."

Edited by LTtxfan
messed up
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ousux said:
4 minutes ago, Bama Llama said:
Yeah, yeah. You have to trust me on this one. Some things even trump football. I assure you, my chi will be there in spirit.
I’m still dog cussing the back judge in the ‘65 Orange Bowl for waving off the linesman’s TD call on Joe Namath’s 4th down run.  

BTW, kudos to Texas for sending the traveling pep band. Bama punked out last year rather than sit the pep band up high at DKR. That was a pussy move. Horns fans and players will get to hear The Eyes and Texas Fight! in Tuscaloosa.  I’ll be watching somehow.

Just record it and avoid your phone or talking to anyone with even a .01% chance of watching the game or knowing the score. You may just survive this lol

Fuck, it’s worth a try. Nothing more awful, excruciating and exhilarating than watching a gut wrencher in the blind 24 hours after the fact. I’ll report back if successful. May the outcome of this game not be decided by any official.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bama Llama said:

I'm glad we'll be going to a conference next year were the bands will come to Austin (They will, won't they? Lulz.) once we're playing SEC conference games, and not this Bullshit from the old Big12-North schools refusing to bring their bands to Austin for whatever Bullshit reasons they can make up.

The real reason was that they hated being in the same conference with us, despite the gravy-train conference millions they pulled in from as a result of it. (Ratings disaster Imminent for Big12 next year!  Lulz.)

We're in the same conference next year, SEC opponents -- bring your fucking bands!  Don't be like those old Big12-North pussies!

Creating a one off account for this:

I have it from very very good authority, with someone involved on that side of the football staff, that Steve Sarkisian tested positive for COVID this Tuesday, has been battling moderate symptoms including fatigue, and has spent chunks of this week outside of the facility, when not on the field for practice.

I've been waiting for the news drop from the university or other sources, but it hasn't come, so it looks like this is being kept on the down low.

Peace.

Edited by OneOffBefo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 42

I have it from very very good authority, with someone involved on that side of the football staff, that Steve Sarkisian tested positive for COVID this Tuesday, has been battling symptoms, and has spent chunks of this week outside of the facility, when not on the field for practice.
I've been waiting for the news drop from the university or other sources, but it hasn't come, so it looks like this is being kept on the down low.
Peace.

giphy.gif
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, OneOffBefo said:

I have it from very very good authority, with someone involved on that side of the football staff, that Steve Sarkisian tested positive for COVID this Tuesday, has been battling symptoms, and has spent chunks of this week outside of the facility, when not on the field for practice.

Peace.

Ah yes, tested positive for covid so he’s allowed on the practice field so he can be around everyone but has to go home afterwards.

Completely legit. Sure the medical staff and trainers cleared that setup no problem.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Ah yes, tested positive for covid so he’s allowed on the practice field so he can be around everyone but has to go home afterwards.

Completely legit. Sure the medical staff and trainers cleared that setup no problem.

^ This is exactly why this is a very interesting situation.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 29

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2023/09/casagrande-sarks-iron-bowl-win-was-test-drive-for-texas-return-now-hes-back-for-more.html

Spoiler

Casagrande: Sark’s Iron Bowl win was test drive for Texas return, now he’s back for more
Updated: Sep. 05, 2023, 8:21 a.m.|Published: Sep. 05, 2023, 8:00 a.m.

By Michael Casagrande | mcasagrande@al.com
Alabama’s had some notable offensive coordinators in Nick Saban’s 17 seasons.

Four are currently head coaches in the college game while Brian Daboll holds one of the 32 such jobs in the NFL.

In terms of memorable tenures, Lane Kiffin holds that distinction.

Still, he’s got nothing on Steve Sarkisian -- not when you think about it. That’s what’ll make his Saturday return to Bryant-Denny Stadium as the Texas head coach unique.

For all the accomplishments of those contemporaries who came before and after, none ran the show.

Yes, this will be the second straight Bryant-Denny Stadium game as head coach for Sarkisian when you roll the clock back to Nov. 28, 2020. That gloomy Saturday afternoon in a season of previously inconceivable moments, it was Sarkisian who led the Crimson Tide off the bus for an Iron Bowl unlike any other.

A few miles away, a COVID-19-infected Nick Saban was holed up in his office where he witnessed his Crimson Tide dispatch Auburn, 42-13. And while the record books still record that as Saban’s 256th, it was Sarkisian who ran the operation the last time he set foot on that Bryant-Denny turf.

“Sark did a nice job of managing things,” Saban said that night via Zoom from his desk at home. “I sat here and felt a little hopeless. But I could see things and yell at things and listen to Miss Terry cheer downstairs. It’s a little different. But it still feels good to win.”

Sarkisian was later asked about the “unique scenario” before the Rose Bowl semifinal against Notre Dame.

“I didn’t want to lose sight of what my initial role always is,” he said, “and that’s to have our offense ready to play and to call plays. So the end result it was an awesome opportunity. It was great to kind of be back in that role for a few hours.”

He’d be back in that role within days when Texas came calling.

And they dialed up Sarkisian because of his 2020 offensive coordinator masterclass. Landing a premier job like Texas’ felt less likely after Sarkisian’s once-meteoric rise crashed when issues with alcohol abuse led to his very- public firing as USC’s head coach. His first coaching lifeline came a year later when Saban offered him a position as an analyst.

From the glamour of Los Angeles to making exactly $2,651.52 a month working the back office in Tuscaloosa was certainly a humbling experience.

But just a few months after arriving, Kiffin was out as offensive coordinator after winning the CFP semifinal over Washington, leaving a suddenly promoted Sarkisian to design the plan for Clemson in Tampa. A last-second 35-31 loss would be his only game calling Alabama plays, at least for the time being.

It was his second stint, following two seasons as the Atlanta Falcons’ OC, that got him to Texas.

Orchestrating an embarrassment of future first-round riches, did his best work down the stretch of that 2020 season. That group with DeVonta Smith, Mac Jones, Najee Harris and others dipped below the 50-point mark just twice in the final seven games of the season.

Sarkisian saved perhaps his greatest work for his final act, one that came a week after Texas hired him. The scheme he drew up for the 52-24 throttling of Ohio State in the reduced-capacity CFP title game was a curtain call of sorts.

Everyone knew Heisman winner Smith would be the primary target but Sarkisian put him in position to catch 12 passes for 215 yards with three touchdowns -- practically all in the first half since he went down early in the third quarter with a hand injury. All three of the touchdowns to Smith were new designs built to exploit a weakness.

Now he stands in a much different place, recruiting at an elite level with Texas possibly, potentially … back?

This is a state, a fanbase and a program desperate to return to relevance since languishing in some state of limbo for more than a decade. Nobody’s pushed that boulder over the mountain yet, but the stars haven’t aligned like this where potential meets opportunity.

Last September’s 20-19 win for Alabama that Texas controlled served notice.

Of what?

We’ll find out Saturday when Sarkisian returns to a post-pandemic Bryant-Denny Stadium. Again, it’ll be at the center of the college football universe but this time with a shot to claim a win for himself.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Covid fear monger in 2023, bold strategy. 

We will see players and coaches out - it’s spreading quickly up here in the NE. 18 of my employees have it out of 288 right now. It sucks but it’s not going away with a new variant and life normal, people are going to get it and have to step away for 5 or whatever days.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

29 minutes ago, OneOffBefo said:

I have it from very very good authority, with someone involved on that side of the football staff, that Steve Sarkisian tested positive for COVID this Tuesday, has been battling moderate symptoms including fatigue, and has spent chunks of this week outside of the facility, when not on the field for practice.

Peace.

Jay Z Reaction GIF

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, OneOffBefo said:

Peace.

Guess it was really effecting him during this interview in front of our media :(

31 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

We will see players and coaches out - it’s spreading quickly up here in the NE. 18 of my employees have it out of 288 right now. It sucks but it’s not going away with a new variant and life normal, people are going to get it and have to step away for 5 or whatever days.

K

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Not to mention he did a presser today and didn't appear sick in any way

Peace.

So the fuck what? I had that shit three weeks ago for the third time. When I was a kid, we called it “hay fever.”
  • Hook 'Em 4

Peace.

Lol I can smell the aggy in this through my phone.

I’m headed over to that shit hole tomorrow on the AA Longhorn Express. I’m told by my Bamer friends that they stuck us all in the upper deck out of spite. They don’t think we were very SEC in our accommodation of their fans last year. Their heads are splitting open because I’ve told them that we dont give a fuck. Not a single fuck. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Gucci_Suit said:

I’m headed over to that shit hole tomorrow on the AA Longhorn Express. I’m told by my Bamer friends that they stuck us all in the upper deck out of spite. They don’t think we were very SEC in our accommodation of their fans last year. Their heads are splitting open because I’ve told them that we dont give a fuck. Not a single fuck. 

Seen this on other sites, “returning the favor on putting band in upper deck”… couldn’t give two ducks 

34 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Scipio talked about how much better Alabama is at TE and now Josh Pate interviewed some guy that said the same thing. Hope staff is aware and ready for the 5* pass catcher TE.

I thought the guy they had last year Latu was pretty damn good. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Bill Murray Rodeo GIF

• Hook 'Em 1