2023 Texas @ Alabama - 6pm on ESPN

Pancho

I had to click on this thread out of curiosity since it keeps popping up. 

The WR discussion. Jesus. 

I Dont Arrested Development GIF

Irrespective of personal preferences, history is very likely to consider Worthy as a top 3 WR of all time at Texas. He drops a lot of passes. So did Terrell Owens. The guy has elite skills and gifts and he'll wind up with over 30 tds in his time here. He's already 3rd on the all-time list. He's likely to finish in the top 5 in yardage. All of that in 3 years and then he'll be a first round draft pick. Good lord.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, Lidig8r said:

George Sauer, one of 4 Longhorns to first win a Super Bowl. 1969 New York Jets.

He caught 8 passes for 133 yards in Super Bowl III ... from Joe Namath.

The other 3 Horns? Tight end Pete Lammons, defensive lineman John Elliot and defensive back Jim Hudson.

Hudson was the quarterback who threw a 69 yard touchdown pass in the 1965 Orange Bowl to help defeat No. 1 ranked Alabama.

The quarterback for that Bama Team?  Joe Namath.

The person who caught Hudson's touchdown pass in that Orange Bowl? George Sauer.

And now you know... the rest of the story.

ghows-LK-97d8f587-eb8d-4a7a-b8c8-cd2da6b

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I had to click on this thread out of curiosity since it keeps popping up. 

The WR discussion. Jesus. 

I Dont Arrested Development GIF

Irrespective of personal preferences, history is very likely to consider Worthy as a top 3 WR of all time at Texas. He drops a lot of passes. So did Terrell Owens. The guy has elite skills and gifts and he'll wind up with over 30 tds in his time here. He's already 3rd on the all-time list. He's likely to finish in the top 5 in yardage. All of that in 3 years and then he'll be a first round draft pick. Good lord.

You are probably right from a production perspective, and ultimately that’s all that matters. But give me Duvernay with 3 years of Sark all day every day.

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

This seems like an overreaction. I thought he played with a lot of heart given the circumstances. Milroe's o-line was a sieve against us, and their positive plays came from him improvising. I can't imagine how having a less mobile QB could have possibly worked better for them. 

Rees was probably banging on the table for Buchner. Their offense just became that much less athletic

This seems like an overreaction. I thought he played with a lot of heart given the circumstances. Milroe's o-line was a sieve against us, and their positive plays came from him improvising. I can't imagine how having a less mobile QB could have possibly worked better for them. 

He’ll throw a much better ball to the WR’s and DB’s.

1 hour ago, Kitty Boy said:

He’ll throw a much better ball to the WR’s and DB’s.

Sure, if he has time. Against us, he would have died. Again, I think this is an overaction. Milroe made some good plays for them in the clutch when given time. And even when not given time, he was the primary reason their offense scored at all. If we were having to blitz to get pressure, I could see a better passer making a difference. But we were getting A gap pressure rushing 3. That isn't a recipe for success for any QB. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

+1. Stick with Milroe and he’ll be a top flight collegiate QB in a couple seasons

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

You’re saying here that the Alabama receivers outplayed the Texas receivers? It sounds like it, but surely you aren’t. 

Yes, I remember drops and Bama receivers catching everything that moved like their lives depended on it. The difference in the game was pass protection.

If you dont believe me, audit this thread in the first half and you’ll see some hysterical posts about Worthy.

Xavier is arguably a top 3 WR in program history. JT > Beck and it's not particularly close....as you stated above. 

Sanders is better than Beck, especially as a big receiver who lines up on the line. Sometimes he manages a stalemate with defensive backs and gets in the way of linebackers.

Humphrey was a fucking beast, who had a massive catch radius and was very reliable. He was uncoverable and brutalized DBs. Collin Johnson had an alltime catch radius.

The COMBO of Humphrey and Beck was very effective. Id take them over Sanders and Whitt.

But for all the peeps with amnesia from the 1st half of the Bama game, you werent screaming at Ewers for throwing deep to Worthy in double coverage as the ball bounced a yard away? Or the multiple times that Worthy dropped a pass in this game? Top 3 WR in history? Sure.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/10/2023 at 9:32 PM, Surly Bevo said:

The vast vast majority of players and coaches that win at legendary levels in sports leave something to be desired in the terrific human being category.  Not all of them mind you, but a LOT of them.

Paterno

Switzer

Osborne

On 9/10/2023 at 8:58 PM, wood said:

NSIAP. While I was looking at responses in that thread, I saw this. George Teague is crying about some of our players merely walking across or being on the Bama logo at midfield. Absolutely nothing disrespectful happening there at all. What a bitch.

Don't lose and it isn't a problem.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Sure, if he has time. Against us, he would have died. Again, I think this is an overaction. Milroe made some good plays for them in the clutch when given time. And even when not given time, he was the primary reason their offense scored at all. If we were having to blitz to get pressure, I could see a better passer making a difference. But we were getting A gap pressure rushing 3. That isn't a recipe for success for any QB. 

Not to mention how many low snaps he had to scoop up from ankle level while Sweat or Murphy was backing his center into his lap and both edges converging. Those split seconds lost where he could have been gauging the field trying to make his reads were cutting short what was already a brief window to begin with.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sith_horn said:

Not to mention how many low snaps he had to scoop up from ankle level while Sweat or Murphy was backing his center into his lap and both edges converging. Those split seconds lost where he could have been gauging the field trying to make his reads were cutting short what was already a brief window to begin with.

Yeah, this wasn't Hudson Card against Arkansas. Milroe was cool and collected despite the chaos. He isn't a great QB by any means, but I think he has a lot of potential. 

Yes, I remember drops and Bama receivers catching everything that moved like their lives depended on it. The difference in the game was pass protection.

If you dont believe me, audit this thread in the first half and you’ll see some hysterical posts about Worthy.

Sure, let’s ignore that they couldn’t get open.

43 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Sanders is better than Beck, especially as a big receiver who lines up on the line. Sometimes he manages a stalemate with defensive backs and gets in the way of linebackers.

Humphrey was a fucking beast, who had a massive catch radius and was very reliable. He was uncoverable and brutalized DBs. Collin Johnson had an alltime catch radius.

The COMBO of Humphrey and Beck was very effective. Id take them over Sanders and Whitt.

But for all the peeps with amnesia from the 1st half of the Bama game, you werent screaming at Ewers for throwing deep to Worthy in double coverage as the ball bounced a yard away? Or the multiple times that Worthy dropped a pass in this game? Top 3 WR in history? Sure.

I only remember 1 true drop by Worthy (on the Jerk route).

He missed one ball where he was being absolutely mugged.

thats all I got.

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

I absolutely loved Humphries, and Beck was a tough bastard and damn important to our struggling program at the time, but a combination with Beck over Sanders at TE will be laughed out of the room by season's end. So will Worthy out of top 5 (maybe not top 3).

Edited by mwaadeeb
english

I just rewatched our game, and this team is gonna be a tough out for anybody, man.  The speed and tenacity on defense, the amount of playmakers on offense, a QB who's put it all together, and a creative, innovative playcaller who trusts that QB enough to let his nuts hang...

I don't care who you are -- if you look at that game film and say you're pretty sure you can beat Texas, you're telling yourself what you wanna hear.  This team is a fucking handful.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I just rewatched our game, and this team is gonna be a tough out for anybody, man.  The speed and tenacity on defense, the amount of playmakers on offense, a QB who's put it all together, and a creative, innovative playcaller who trusts that QB enough to let his nuts hang...

I don't care who you are -- if you look at that game film and say you're pretty sure you can beat Texas, you're telling yourself what you wanna hear.  This team is a fucking handful.

I mean he’s getting better with each game, but let’s not start sucking each other’s dicks  just yet.

Hes still got a ways to go before putting it all together.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

He also dropped a TD in the end zone.

That was the jerk route.

then there was also the one where he was utterly mugged. 

Which other ones? Not being argumentative, I just don’t remember other drops by Worthy this game. 

ETA: I think he “dropped” a leaping attempt in the 3rd. Good thing he got his hands on it because otherwise it was a house call for Bama.

Edited by lilMAC25

24 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Hes still got a ways to go before putting it all together.

Really?  He just threw for bout tree fiddy and 3 scores in one of the most hostile environments in college football, and he was about as calm about it as anybody could be.  Look at it all together: the weight loss, the maturity, the great summer, the ass whipping handed out in the biggest game of the year, and maybe most of all the fact that he didn't look impressed with himself and he damn sure didn't look impressed by Alabama -- yeah, he looks like he's put it all together.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 1

Really?  He just threw for bout tree fiddy and 3 scores in one of the most hostile environments in college football, and he was about as calm about it as anybody could be.  Look at it all together: the weight loss, the maturity, the great summer, the ass whipping handed out in the biggest game of the year, and maybe most of all the fact that he didn't look impressed with himself and he damn sure didn't look impressed by Alabama -- yeah, he looks like he's put it all together.

Is Alabama really a hostile environment or does it just happen to be Saban and Bamas house during this run?

10 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Buchner is very mobile and probably just as fast as milroe.  I've watched alot of him at ND and he may even be more sudden; plus he has two more years in Rees offense. 

12 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Didn’t you listen to the Spanish call of the game?

”[Milroe] tiene tiempo… demasiado tiempo!” Then a sack. 

I’m not sure hysterical posts in a game thread on Surly should count as actual, you know, evidence of reality.  

6 hours ago, allrightallrightallright said:

Buchner is very mobile and probably just as fast as milroe.  I've watched alot of him at ND and he may even be more sudden; plus he has two more years in Rees offense. 

Hahahahaha. Get the fuck out of here with this take. Just fucking clueless. And yes, Mrs. Buchner, I’ve watched your son play. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1