2023 Texas @ Alabama - 6pm on ESPN

Pancho

It looks like our offensive line watched the Edelman/Kelce brothers podcast when they talked about using gloves that are the color or close to of the opponents jerseys so you don't get called for holding. Noticed Christian Jones/DJ Campbell were also wearing same color gloves too.

I’m not a New England fan, but damn if I don’t get a kick out of listening to Edelman imitate Bellicheck and tell stories about that stuff.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

I really enjoyed this one and am kind of done reveling in media attention, aggy tears, and in depth play breakdown until the next big w.

Texas was kind of at this point last year too even though there was no w. In many ways last year's defensive performance was better than this year's against a better qb.

A healthy Ewers makes all the difference on offense, but that was not a cure all later in the season.

Teams change and get better, so here's hoping Texas can keep up the intensity.

..and yes, I am pretty fun at parties.

If you feel even remotely similar to how you felt a year ago when our starting QB was out with an injury, we had two true freshmen on the line, our offense had already shown a difficulty scoring in second halves when defenses adjusted, and our defense had a walk on starting at safety... I don't know what to tell you about your emotional state.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

I didnt realize this until listening to the radio this morning.  12 straight running plays with 7+ minutes remaining to end the game AT their house.  No way that has happened before to them.
1st & 10 at TEX 30
(7:08 - 4th) CJ Baxter run for 3 yds to the TEX 33
2nd & 7 at TEX 33
(6:14 - 4th) Jonathon Brooks run for 5 yds to the TEX 38
3rd & 2 at TEX 38
(5:27 - 4th) Jonathon Brooks run for 3 yds to the TEX 41 for a 1ST down
(5:19 - 4th) Timeout Alabama, clock 05:19
1st & 10 at TEX 41
(5:14 - 4th) Jonathon Brooks run for 2 yds to the TEX 43
(5:14 - 4th) Timeout Alabama, clock 05:14
2nd & 8 at TEX 43
(5:09 - 4th) Jonathon Brooks run for 1 yd to the TEX 44
(5:09 - 4th) Timeout Alabama, clock 05:09
3rd & 7 at TEX 44
(5:03 - 4th) Jonathon Brooks run for 14 yds to the ALA 42 for a 1ST down
1st & 10 at ALA 42
(4:18 - 4th) Keilan Robinson run for 3 yds to the ALA 39
2nd & 7 at ALA 39
(3:36 - 4th) Jonathon Brooks run for no gain to the ALA 39
(2:53 - 4th) Timeout Texas, clock 02:53
3rd & 7 at ALA 39
(2:48 - 4th) Jonathon Brooks run for 4 yds to the ALA 35
4th & 3 at ALA 35
(2:09 - 4th) Alabama Penalty, Defensive Offside (Trezmen Marshall) to the ALA 30 for a 1ST down
1st & 10 at ALA 30
(1:45 - 4th) TEAM run for a loss of 2 yards to the ALA 32
2nd & 12 at ALA 32
(1:01 - 4th) TEAM run for a loss of 2 yards to the ALA 34
3rd & 14 at ALA 34
(0:27 - 4th) TEAM run for a loss of 2 yards to the ALA 36
(0:00 - 4th) End of 4th Quarter
Not to take away from this, but the rule change on clock start really helped. Saban burned three TO early cuz they don't get the stoppage on 1st down. It was fuckin brilliant though.
  • Hook 'Em 3

45 minutes ago, fellside said:

If you feel even remotely similar to how you felt a year ago when our starting QB was out with an injury, we had two true freshmen on the line, our offense had already shown a difficulty scoring in second halves when defenses adjusted, and our defense had a walk on starting at safety... I don't know what to tell you about your emotional state.

Not to mention our defense also showed a vulnerability to being attacked in the middle of the field and giving up third down's at an alarming rate. For whatever reason, Alabama didn't attack that weakness most the game last year. This defense looks much more complete. A big part of that is getting pressure without blitzing. Also helps to have better coverage awareness from our linebackers. 

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Yes. The new rules put more pressure on the offense. It doesn't change anything for the defense. 

This. If you're on offense under the old rules, the clock would stop on first down and then restart when the chains and ball were set. The offense could be ready to go at the snap, or wait for the clock to wind and then run the (EDIT: 25) seconds off. Saban knew he needed two possessions to tie or win so he was hoping to stop Texas on a three-and-out and get the ball back with about 5 mins left. Once Texas got the first down, he had to start burning TO's. Then we got the second first down and were able to take it down to 2:30 mins or so before getting them to jump on 4th-and-2 and end the game.

Edited by C-Man

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

No idea if this has been talked about - but jeff Howe mentioned on the Longhorn Blitz podcast that he was able to ask Hayden Conner about the offsides that sealed the game.  Conner admitted that the hand flex that induced the offsides was something he had been thinking/working on.

Hand open:

image.png.38215b5a4d06546a488dae31ca20dac7.png

Closed:

image.png.99b9a83fa65bf5b23ab59420b3183292.png

jake-peralta-squinting.gif

• Haha 1

Not to mention our defense also showed a vulnerability to being attacked in the middle of the field and giving up third down's at an alarming rate. For whatever reason, Alabama didn't attack that weakness most the game last year. This defense looks much more complete. A big part of that is getting pressure without blitzing. Also helps to have better coverage awareness from our linebackers. 

I’m not sure we were figured out when we played Bama last year. Then teams determined you could attack the intermediate middle. Then I believe we determined that our LBs need to drop rather than attack the underneath routes/chase the RB to the flat. In 2021 and early 2022, we chased much of that underneath/RB flat with a LB drawing them out of the middle.

The last Bama TD was the intermediate/deep middle. From what I recall, they ran the inside guy on a vertical to push the safety deep then ran behind the LB. Depth may have been ok if the spatial awareness was on point.

I think we’re still vulnerable there. Lb depth is still a bit hit or miss. The awareness to get underneath in breaking routes is hit or miss too. Fords pick versus Rice was a pretty poor throw - a tick late, too flat. Safeties were relatively tight too so Captain Transfer couldn’t air it out.

But LB pass coverage is tough and difficult to find great cover guys there. Probably some unrealistic expectations too. If our pass rush stays consistent, that’ll make a huge difference.

2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

I think it looks more complete because we are finishing the pressure instead of coming up short. We only had like 27-28 sacks last year while being number 2 in pressures. This year through two games we already have 7 sacks, couple that with only getting 14 turnovers last year and having 5 through two games. It’s going to be a much better defense with fewer holes. 

Don’t forget Mo Blackwell is about to return and that means less Jett bush. So defense likely will get a little better. Derrick Williams and the younger players improving as the season goes will allow us to be a fresh defense. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2023 at 7:01 AM, GreenspointTexas said:

Unpopular opinion: While he is improving on the long ball, Quinn obviously still has trouble throwing deep. The two TDs to Worthy and Mitchell had the length but were very inaccurate and would have not been TDs if not for amazing catches/plays by the receiver. 

hopefully he can keep the upward trajectory this week vs Wyoming

Those aren’t amazing plays by the WR. It’s called tracking the ball. When he led X last year he never went to get it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/11/2023 at 10:18 PM, Cairn Horn88 said:

Crazy Alabama Stat

Posted on 9/11/23 at 9:41 pm
up vote2down vote0
bkm1.png
From 2008 to 2022, Alabama lost only 5 games at home. The team that beat Alabama or Alabama won the NC all 5 years. 

10 vs Auburn - Auburn 
11 vs LSU - Alabama 
12 vs A&M - Alabama 
15 vs Ole Miss - Alabama 
19 vs LSU - LSU 

shrug.gif 

Interesting..…hmmm.

Black Widow Avengers GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is our best team in 14 years. Those of you that haven't figured that out yet or are unwilling to believe it will come along shortly I assume. 

I’d argue 2018 (unsuccessfully)

That year the secondary was loaded, so much so that we went dime much of the time.

I’d also take the trio of Lil Jordan, Collin Johnson, and Devin Duvernay.

It’s a sound argument until you get to the 2018 defensive line. On one side you had Omenihu and 10 sacks, on the other, you had Breckyn Hager playing with one arm.

5 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

That year the secondary was loaded, so much so that we went dime much of the time.

It’s a sound argument until you get to the 2018 defensive line. On one side you had Omenihu and 10 sacks, on the other, you had Breckyn Hager playing with one arm.

I loved that team but they started the season off losing to Maryland. The WV loss was fucking bad, too.

I'd give it a few games and I think it will be pretty clear. I'd actually argue that we were just as good last season at our best as we have been in a long time. We just had a QB we were trying to get reps get hurt early on and everything kind of fell apart from there. We finished #6 in ESPN's FPI - it was also our highest SRS since '09.

2 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Bro I love the 2018 team but that's insane (caveat for 2 game sample size and all). Are you confusing the secondary with 2017? '18 wasn't a particularly good group. Very up and down and slightly above average to good overall. Not to mention glaring deficiencies at LB, which was the reason that we leaned into dime 2018-19. Hell, we tried trotting out Malcolm Roach at MLB until Maryland showed us the stunning power of a jet sweep. Not to mention worse personnel at OL, RB, and TE (setting aside your opinion on WR). 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

Bro I love the 2018 team but that's insane (caveat for 2 game sample size and all). Are you confusing the secondary with 2017? '18 wasn't a particularly good group. Very up and down and slightly above average to good overall. Not to mention glaring deficiencies at LB, which was the reason that we leaned into dime 2018-19. Hell, we tried trotting out Malcolm Roach at MLB until Maryland showed us the stunning power of a jet sweep. Not to mention worse personnel at OL, RB, and TE (setting aside your opinion on WR). 

Not insane as you placed a caveat yourself on crowning the 2023 group.

That was a talented secondary - Brandon Jones, PJ Locke, Kris Boyd, then all the young guns who were better their freshman seasons.

I’d also hold off anointing the running game. Havent seen much yet. Ehlinger/Ingram were pretty solid at what they did.

I also like Andrew Beck / Humphrey over Sanders / Whit overall.

2 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Hard disagree.  Worthy and Adonai are possible first round picks.  Whittington is the perfect WR3 - does his job and blocks like a son of a bitch and never says peep about how many touches he does/doesn't get.  I think this is the best WR trio Texas has had in 20 years.

1 minute ago, Eskimohorn said:

Again - hard disagree.  Sanders is probably TE2 in this years draft behind Bowers.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

That was a talented secondary - Brandon Jones, PJ Locke, Kris Boyd, then all the young guns who were better their freshman seasons.

I’d also hold off anointing the running game. Havent seen much yet. Ehlinger/Ingram were pretty solid at what they did.

No way you’re really taking Beck over Sanders. 

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

War Omg GIF by Bombay Softwares

• Haha 3

No way you’re really taking Beck over Sanders. 

As a combo, I’ll take Beck and Humphrey over Sanders and Whitt. Sanders can be a liability in the run game. Beck was knocking fools down and is still in the NFL. And Humphrey was an elite slot and able blocker there.

And regarding our current group of receivers, I’ll take the 2018 group. They were reliable and pretty dominant. They got open, caught balls, and put up big numbers. In the Tom Herman passing game and with Ehlinger at QB.

And although 2018 Duvernay was not yet the 2019 version, Worthy has a long way to go to approach elite level where he consistently gets open, has some sort of catch radius, and holds onto the ball when he does track passes. He’ll be a slot receiver in the NFL. If he doesnt get more consistent and prove himself, he’ll be a Day 2 pick.

While they came through last week, it was another game where Texas receivers were outplayed by their counterparts. Thats been pretty consistent against decent competition since Duvernay left.

8 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

While they came through last week, it was another game where Texas receivers were outplayed by their counterparts. Thats been pretty consistent against decent competition since Duvernay left.

You’re saying here that the Alabama receivers outplayed the Texas receivers? It sounds like it, but surely you aren’t. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Saying you'd take the 2018 Texas receivers and TE over the 2023 Texas receivers and TE is, uh, certainly something.

My biggest issue with Sanders is he NEVER brings his lunch pail and does not do enough to earn a “coach on the field” badge. Beck has him there in spades. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3