2023 Texas @ Alabama - 6pm on ESPN

Pancho

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think if Xavier strings this out wide a little longer and cuts inside this goes to the house. Obviously you'd want a better block by JT but 3 made a great play off that block here.

Between that play and turner detonating sanders around midfield 4th down stop, not a great look for sanders in the blocking dept. 

I think if Xavier strings this out wide a little longer and cuts inside this goes to the house. Obviously you'd want a better block by JT but 3 made a great play off that block here.

Correct
Between that play and turner detonating sanders around midfield 4th down stop, not a great look for sanders in the blocking dept. 

Sanders also did a great job sealing the DE on the go ahead Brooks TD. I think the Turner thing was an assignment mix up and busted play. He’s at least a willing blocker even if he’s not great at it, that’s the battle.

Correct

Sanders also did a great job sealing the DE on the go ahead Brooks TD. I think the Turner thing was an assignment mix up and busted play. He’s at least a willing blocker even if he’s not great at it, that’s the battle.

2 minutes ago, RAMBONE said:

Did anyone see Alfred Collins in the game? He was credited with half a tackle.... He was hyped all fall camp and seemed to be MIA. Saw Broughton out there.

He made a lot of plays that won't show up in the box score. Probably less impactful than I would like, but he was disruptive on several plays. That's pretty much true for the whole interior D-line. They played well by being in the backfield and pushing plays outside the tackles.  

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

The great thing about this win is that we still could have played better in all phases.  Lots to coach up this week.  

Very similar in that regard to last year's game.

I posted that last year there were 3 plays, one each phase of the game, that were set up, 95% executed, and requiring only the most basic follow through in the final 5%, to bring the play to it's logical and almost inevitable conclusion for the good guys, that were not made, and any one of which would have likely resulted in victory.

I think there were more plays like that this year. The only difference is that there was more margin for error, given the overall increase in talent level, competence in the more mundane aspects of the game, and the full use of our starting qb 

There was also the absence of truly horrible officiating.

Last year, this game and the Rice game still show that Texas still has work to do to put forth a truly exceptional mistake free game.

As happy as we all are, we were a missed lineman downfield call and an astute fumble recovery away from a nail biter or possible defeat.

In other words, make those plays, and you don't need to rely on the ref to catch a penalty or the ball bouncing your way, because those things don’t always work out in your favor.

• Hook 'Em 5

23 minutes ago, RAMBONE said:

Did anyone see Alfred Collins in the game? He was credited with half a tackle.... He was hyped all fall camp and seemed to be MIA. Saw Broughton out there.

DTs/NTs who do their jobs right don't necessarily record a ton of statistics. Their job is to absorb blockers so the pass rushers and linebackers are free to make a play. See also, Casey Hampton at Pittsburgh.

Also, if you're a capable OC and you know a guy's trouble, you're going to call plays that take the ball away from that guy.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Not on the five yard line please.

Man, my kid & I were talking about this during the game. Fair catch at the fucking 5? WTF? I see it all the time now throughout CFB and too often in the NFL too. Whatever happened to standing on the 10, and then if it's over your head you let it go, and try to catch anything else you can reasonably get to? Do they just not teach it anymore?

• Rage+1 1

On 9/10/2023 at 11:21 AM, Skipper said:

This was my favorite part of the game last night.  In years past I feel like this team lets mistakes get in their heads.  Everyone shook it off and made a big play to make up for it.

Rod Babers w/ Burton discussed this yesterday, how the game would have played out if Texas went up 17-0 out of the gate and started coasting. No adversity, get complacent, and loose in the 4th Quarter.

Misfiring on so many little things by so many players, coachable moments without giving up a big play. Quinns happy feet in the 2nd Qtr.  Hill, for example, with his Hager move, running himself out of the play and losing contain, only to come back and get 2 sacks. The DL discipline in the second half was a thing of beauty. Burke's sack & TFL were both within arms lengths of his lane. Big guys ate up blockers all night, and Gbenda gets a hustle play sack right up the middle.

Campbell of the 4th quarter TD run; "... don't stand there, just mash the guy in front of you."

Great game. Big inflection point in Texas Football fortunes. 

• Hook 'Em 3

25 minutes ago, wood said:

Man, my kid & I were talking about this during the game. Fair catch at the fucking 5? WTF? I see it all the time now throughout CFB and too often in the NFL too. Whatever happened to standing on the 10, and then if it's over your head you let it go, and try to catch anything else you can reasonably get to? Do they just not teach it anymore?

I think the 5 yard line is the new 10 yard line. Punters, especially those at big time programs and in the NFL have gotten really really good at the Dicko Wedge and starting at your three or inside is  pretty dangerous. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Exactly. What happened is that punters and gunners got a shitload better than they were 30 years ago. If you let the ball bounce at the 8 on a short-ish punt your offense is going to start inside the 5 the vast majority of the time these days.

We let it bounce a lot at the 30 and 20 also.  We need to field the damn punts even if not returning.

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Exactly. What happened is that punters and gunners got a shitload better than they were 30 years ago. If you let the ball bounce at the 8 on a short-ish punt your offense is going to start inside the 5 the vast majority of the time these days.

We let it bounce a lot at the 30 and 20 also.  We need to field the damn punts even if not returning.  So it does not bounce to the 8

• Hook 'Em 1

one thing Sark emphasized in the postgame press conference.

No delay of game or illegal procedure/motion penalties the whole game in a hostile environment.

the OL and Evers managed that part of the game extremely well. - especially considering how many pre-snap shifts and motion we employ as part of our offensive scheme.

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

What a great show of respect by Jalen Milroe for the former Alabama offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian before the game. #RollTide #RTR #Respect

image.thumb.png.845a46e0a00632dcc153257585c56b7b.png

I heard Sark purposely tweaked Milroe's back during a "hug" and that's why he played poorly
-Some Bama fan, probably

• Haha 1

I never really watch Finebaum’s show except for special occasions like this or a particularly fun aggy loss. I HATE the bubba callers he takes but it’s awesome hearing these Bama fans who are beside themselves and don’t know what to do with a loss like this.

Overly twangy callers yelling stuff like:

“Rome is burning, Paul!”

Delicious. We all know how spoiled they have been as a fan base but it’s kinda crazy hearing their level of desperation.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

We let it bounce a lot at the 30 and 20 also.  We need to field the damn punts even if not returning.

We let it bounce a lot at the 30 and 20 also.  We need to field the damn punts even if not returning.  So it does not bounce to the 8

Here are their punts:

50 yards - fielded at 15

33 yards - out of bounds at 15

40 yards - fair caught at 12

42 yards - fair caught at 44

44 yards - fielded at 30

42 yards - fielded at 27

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, mdleast said:

I never really watch Finebaum’s show except for special occasions like this or a particularly fun aggy loss. I HATE the bubba callers he takes but it’s awesome hearing these Bama fans who are beside themselves and don’t know what to do with a loss like this.

Overly twangy callers yelling stuff like:

“Rome is burning, Paul!”

Delicious. We all know how spoiled they have been as a fan base but it’s kinda crazy hearing their level of desperation.

https://x.com/edsbs/status/1700893679508959697?s=20

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I think the 5 yard line is the new 10 yard line. Punters, especially those at big time programs and in the NFL have gotten really really good at the Dicko Wedge and starting at your three or inside is  pretty dangerous. 

Yeah, I was gonna say Michael Dickson happened. He’s killed so many inside the 10 on his own.

19 hours ago, TheRRKid said:

There was a documentary a couple years ago about Belichick and Saban. Belichick came across personable and possibly fun to be around with his real life friends. Saban seemed like football is all he ever thinks about 

I'm not trying to change your minds on Saban, but I do think this is necessary input on the "no fun to be around" evaluation: https://saturdaytradition.com/big-ten-football/nick-saban-apparently-a-big-fan-of-making-deez-nuts-jokes/

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, yoladu said:

No delay of game or illegal procedure/motion penalties the whole game in a hostile environment.

the OL and Evers managed that part of the game extremely well. - especially considering how many pre-snap shifts and motion we employ as part of our offensive scheme.

From what I gather, Joe DeCamillis is a huge - huge - presence in in-game planning and logistics. Sark mentioned today he is helokg them with the new clock rules and he was in Sark’s pocket the entire game.  

• Hook 'Em 5

4 hours ago, yoladu said:

21 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

From what I gather, Joe DeCamillis is a huge - huge - presence in in-game planning and logistics. Sark mentioned today he is helokg them with the new clock rules and he was in Sark’s pocket the entire game.  

ultimate pedantic dickhead on this one but we did get a delay on the first drive in the weirdest 4th down flex i've ever seen.  i understand trying to draw an offsides...particularly against a highly undisciplined and jacked up bama defense...but we never even lined it up and did a hard count.  the guys just looked at the sidelines the entire time until the play clock ran out.  that was confusing.

27 minutes ago, sidis said:

ultimate pedantic dickhead on this one but we did get a delay on the first drive in the weirdest 4th down flex i've ever seen.  i understand trying to draw an offsides...particularly against a highly undisciplined and jacked up bama defense...but we never even lined it up and did a hard count.  the guys just looked at the sidelines the entire time until the play clock ran out.  that was confusing.

They wanted more room for the punter.  

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, TexasPride10 said:

SIAP, but I was at the game and noticed two things that made me smile. The first was the fact that Bama featured Marcell Dareus on field before kickoff. That was a total troll job by them, as Marcell was obviously the one that put Colt out of the National Championship game. The second was during the TV timeout after Bama took the lead for the first time, they played a hype/highlight video on the jumbo-trons. That video very clearly featured a close-up, slow-mo replay of the play that injured Quinn in last year's game. It was plain as day. Both pretty lame moves; especially the replay of the Quinn injury, but it just made it that much sweeter that we kicked their ass. 

Enough time has passed that the Marcell Dareus thing is just a good, solid troll job.  Gotta just laugh and appreciate that one. 

The replay of Ewers' injury from just last year is in poor taste.  Who can know for sure, but my *opinion* is that it was intentional - and even if it wasn't, celebrating injury is over the line.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

One nit I have about the game, and it goes back to last season.  We need to start fielding punts.  We let way, way too many hit the turf and it costs us a lot of hidden yards.

But we also didn't muff any, which is what teams do against Alabama.  I don't mind that particular strategy, given how aggressive we were in every other phase of the game.  Had we been conservative all around, I wouldn't like it so much.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I initially thought X needs to read the block and follow JT to the outside.  The defender wanted no part of the contact and jumped inside...you have to make him pay for that.  But watching it again, JT was set up to kick him out and just whiffed.  I'm not sure you can blame X really.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to 2023 Texas @ Alabama - 6pm on ESPN