This team is scary good

ztejas

6 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Some of yall werent old enough to remember 05 and it shows. Vince Young and co. would do unspeakable acts to this team and would win 10/10 against them. Sorry. Doesn't mean this current team isn't good, it's just that the 05 team was the best team of all time.

‘69 Natl Champs and their 30 game winning streak would have a word with you. 

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Deej said:

I don't know  exactly what level of good we are, but I'm enjoying not having a heart attack every time our opponents face a 3rd down.

Having defense good enough to put opponents in 3rd and long but bad enough to allow them to routinely convert was frustrating.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

Hard to see a guy that never had more than 33 catches or 421 yards in a season and only 1,364 / 7 TDs in a 4-year career getting much playing time over Worthy or Mitchell.  I wouldn’t want him taking any targets away from those guys, and certainly not JT, or Whitt / Cook. 

Is this a real post? You think Marquise Goodwin couldn’t find time in this team? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

Hard to see a guy that never had more than 33 catches or 421 yards in a season and only 1,364 / 7 TDs in a 4-year career getting much playing time over Worthy or Mitchell.  I wouldn’t want him taking any targets away from those guys, and certainly not JT, or Whitt / Cook. 

Not hard to see a guy with a decade of nfl experience playing over Whittington at all. Or Mitchell. There’s zero chance he makes it a fucking decade in the nfl.

what a shitass take

also, 56 for 962 in 2017

Edited by bigcigar

27 minutes ago, bigcigar said:

Not hard to see a guy with a decade of nfl experience playing over Whittington at all. Or Mitchell. There’s zero chance he makes it a fucking decade in the nfl.

what a shitass take

also, 56 for 962 in 2017

More than double the catches and yards he’s had in any other season.  I am glad he developed into having one productive season in the NFL and for being good enough to hang around the league for awhile. He’s a good dude. 

A 3 star isn’t getting looks over those guys. He was unproductive in college.  Goodwin in the NFL is nowhere close to the Goodwin we had at Texas. 

45 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Is this a real post? You think Marquise Goodwin couldn’t find time in this team? 

No.  Also, I wouldn’t want Priest Holmes getting carries over Ricky Williams or even Hodges Mitchell in college in the late 90s. 

48 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

More than double the catches and yards he’s had in any other season.  I am glad he developed into having one productive season in the NFL and for being good enough to hang around the league for awhile. He’s a good dude. 

A 3 star isn’t getting looks over those guys. He was unproductive in college.  Goodwin in the NFL is nowhere close to the Goodwin we had at Texas. 

Or maybe, and this might be crazy, our fuck stick coach didn’t get much out of a 10 year nfl player. How many wrs from 2005, 2008 or 2009 lasted as long as Goodwin in the league? Or came close to his top season?

Worthy is the only starting receiver we have that projects close to 10 years in the league 

Edited by bigcigar
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Building an argument based on stats in a completely different system and Gilbert at QB is moronic. I guess Julio Jones had a bad sophomore year with only 596 receiving yards. It couldn’t be that he was in a run heavy offense and a QB with a weak arm. 

49 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

No.  Also, I wouldn’t want Priest Holmes getting carries over Ricky Williams or even Hodges Mitchell in college in the late 90s. 

Comparing raw stats without accounting for systems, teammates, eras, coaches, etc. is the absolute dumbest analysis possible and yet you're proud of doing it repeatedly to compare players. Good for you, man. Stake out your little corner of the Longhorn internet, even if there's a sign over it that reads Dipshit Central.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, bigcigar said:

Or maybe, and this might be crazy, our fuck stick coach didn’t get much out of a 10 year nfl player. How many wrs from 2005, 2008 or 2009 lasted as long as Goodwin in the league? Or came close to his top season?

Worthy is the only starting receiver we have that projects close to 10 years in the league 

If you don’t think Mitchell projects, or that Cook behind Worthy projects, or that JT projects, and that all of them would have touches taken away by a lower-rated player, and all of these four project to be better pros than Goodwin did at any point between 2009 and 2012, and that Ship could never stay healthy, then I don’t know what to tell you. 

Given that your hindsight is 20/20 and you have an utter disdain for our current players, let me ask you this - which ‘08 receiver would you have replaced for MG - Ship or Quan?

11 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I just wanted to take a break in the action to say that some of you better hope to god we don't keep winning. Because I'm going to necro-bump every sorry ass thread about how shitty the coaches are from last year and 21. Some of yall are hiding but we bout to pull the curtain back. You don't get to jump on the wagon now.

giphy.gif

Haha I’m here for it, I don’t know how many times I was shit on for defending Sark and PK over the last couple years. I’ve seen several assholes already trying to sneak to the other side lol. 

4 hours ago, BevoAbyss said:

Let me get this straight:

Sark and the Horns now have a mighty 4-game winning streak, scoring 34 points per game, and beat one good team (a down Bama team). So not only is Texas "back" from the desert, this team now rivals the 2005 team? Huh?

The 2005 team had a 20-game winning streak, averaged 50 points per game (could have been 70 points per game if Mack kept the foot on the gas). Won two Rose Bowls, beat Top 5 Ohio State in the Shoe, won Big 12 title 70-3 and it could have been 100-3. Beat the Trojans in perhaps the greatest college game of all time. The list of superlatives is endless, as previous posters pointed out. 

Simply put: 2005 Texas is simply one of the top 3 greatest college football teams of all time.  

Comparing the 2023 team to 2005 is likely the most delusional take I've ever seen in 33 years online. It's so delusional, I fear the football gods will reanimate Seven-Win Steve to gut punch every one of us ... back to reality.

Username checks out.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

Building an argument based on stats in a completely different system and Gilbert at QB is moronic. I guess Julio Jones had a bad sophomore year with only 596 receiving yards. It couldn’t be that he was in a run heavy offense and a QB with a weak arm. 

Quick check would tell you in addition to GG, he also had Colt and Ash. 

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Comparing raw stats without accounting for systems, teammates, eras, coaches, etc. is the absolute dumbest analysis possible and yet you're proud of doing it repeatedly to compare players. Good for you, man. Stake out your little corner of the Longhorn internet, even if there's a sign over it that reads Dipshit Central.

Over a four year period talent will emerge. I see a guy with world class speed that developed in the pros. Despite flashes (Oxford), he was not productive here. Any attempts to force 19-22 yo Marquise into our current lineup are revising history based on one near 1,000-yd season with a very innovative coach in the pros. 

14 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Haha I’m here for it, I don’t know how many times I was shit on for defending Sark and PK over the last couple years. I’ve seen several assholes already trying to sneak to the other side lol. 

I’m not sure I’ve ever been critical of either. Herman left a mess. We are finally recruiting at a level not seen since the mid 2000s, nobody seemed to realize it, and as a result I have been patient. 

20 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

If you don’t think Mitchell projects, or that Cook behind Worthy projects, or that JT projects, and that all of them would have touches taken away by a lower-rated player, and all of these four project to be better pros than Goodwin did at any point between 2009 and 2012, and that Ship could never stay healthy, then I don’t know what to tell you. 

Given that your hindsight is 20/20 and you have an utter disdain for our current players, let me ask you this - which ‘08 receiver would you have replaced for MG - Ship or Quan?

That’s a beautiful strawman that you’ve built. 

5 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I was a bit surprised recently looking up pros by school. Texas is still high despite dipshit coaching. If you want to pretend production at Texas really matters 10 years ago, good for you.

You set the line as today, not 2008 or 2009. Absolutely, Goodwin looks better on this team than he did when mack brown was killing himself in Florida. He’s shown he had talent that wasn’t used here. Shouldn’t be a surprise, there’s a remarkable number of horns still in the league despite our shit coaching. I’d absolutely take him over Mitchell and whittington. 

49 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I just wanted to take a break in the action to say that some of you better hope to god we don't keep winning. Because I'm going to necro-bump every sorry ass thread about how shitty the coaches are from last year and 21. Some of yall are hiding but we bout to pull the curtain back. You don't get to jump on the wagon now.

giphy.gif

Over It Eye Roll GIF
You have no power here. 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I’m not sure I’ve ever been critical of either. Herman left a mess. We are finally recruiting at a level not seen since the mid 2000s, nobody seemed to realize it, and as a result I have been patient. 

I have been. And I stand by my criticisms from the last two seasons.

OTOH, I’ve always wanted Sark to prove me wrong and I hope he does. I’ve not slammed him this year even when we were in close games with Rice and Wyoming. Winning is what matters and we are 4-0. He’s kicking ass this year. I hope he continues.

ETA: I stand by my previous statements that a 2023 BigXii CG appearance is all that it takes to be a successful season.

the rest is gravy. I’ll do my best to describe the rest.

A BigXii Championship is a big big big big big win.

A playoff appearance would be another order of magnitude greater than that. Huge.

An appearance in the NC game would be absolutely ridiculously amazing.

a NC? Indescribable.

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Hook 'Em 2

54 minutes ago, bigcigar said:

Not even Worthy. 

That kid drops as many passes and he catches.  He's only 6'1 and he weighs a buck seventy soaking wet.  So he can't play the giant outside burner Randy Moss type receiver that well.  He doesn't have the route running ability or quickness to play slot.  And yeah, he drops a lot of balls.

Dude is a 4th or later round pick at this point who will have to work his ass off to just have a chance at working into a starting role.  10 years in the league?  Please. 

I mean, nothing against the guy, but trying to act like he's better than any other number of low-level NFL talent we've had is wrong.  He's probably slightly above a Lil'Jordan or Colin Johnson type unless he figures some shit out.  And double teamed?  Boo-hoo.  Great players laugh at that shit and then burn the coverage anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SpiralOut said:

Not even Worthy. 

That kid drops as many passes and he catches.  He's only 6'1 and he weighs a buck seventy soaking wet.  So he can't play the giant outside burner Randy Moss type receiver that well.  He doesn't have the route running ability or quickness to play slot.  And yeah, he drops a lot of balls.

Dude is a 4th or later round pick at this point who will have to work his ass off to just have a chance at working into a starting role.  10 years in the league?  Please. 

I mean, nothing against the guy, but trying to act like he's better than any other number of low-level NFL talent we've had is wrong.  He's probably slightly above a Lil'Jordan or Colin Johnson type unless he figures some shit out.  And double teamed?  Boo-hoo.  Great players laugh at that shit and then burn the coverage anyway.

Worthy lacks the quickness?

are we watching different players?

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, lilMAC25 said:

Worthy lacks the quickness?

are we watching different players?

He's great when he's running in a straight line, no doubt.  On routes over the middle and shit where he has to out-work a defender with his routes, footwork, and cuts?  I ain't seen anything that special out of him.  

7 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

I have been. And I stand by my criticisms from the last two seasons.

OTOH, I’ve always wanted Sark to prove me wrong and I hope he does. I’ve not slammed him this year even when we were in close games with Rice and Wyoming. Winning is what matters and we are 4-0. He’s kicking ass this year. I hope he continues.

ETA: I stand by my previous statements that a BigXii CG appearance is a successful season.

A BigXii Championship is a big big big big big win. A playoff appearance would be another order of magnitude greater than that.

An appearance in the NC game would be absolutely amazing.

a NC? Indescribable.

We weren’t ever in a close game with Rice, we were with Wyoming for a bit but that disappeared in a blink, and both of those teams are going to have winning seasons. We aren’t at a level like championship contending teams because of Quinn inconsistency.  Expectations will rise and fall with weekly results. If we go 11-1 and don’t win the conference, that’s not going to be okay. 

27 minutes ago, bigcigar said:

I was a bit surprised recently looking up pros by school. Texas is still high despite dipshit coaching. If you want to pretend production at Texas really matters 10 years ago, good for you.

You set the line as today, not 2008 or 2009. Absolutely, Goodwin looks better on this team than he did when mack brown was killing himself in Florida. He’s shown he had talent that wasn’t used here. Shouldn’t be a surprise, there’s a remarkable number of horns still in the league despite our shit coaching. I’d absolutely take him over Mitchell and whittington. 

Mack didn’t kill himself in Florida until ‘13, a year after MG was gone, and whatever we had at QB didn’t affect Mike Davis from producing more than double what MG did. 

1 hour ago, bigcigar said:

This argument is unfair. Goodwin was a true freshman in ‘09 right? Had a big TD in ‘09 RRS? The best QB he had once starting was sophomore ash? McCoy… Gilbert… case McCoy/ash, ash … what a sad time

Just now, SpiralOut said:

He's great when he's running in a straight line, no doubt.  On routes over the middle and shit where he has to out-work a defender with his routes, footwork, and cuts?  I ain't seen anything that special out of him.  

You must be blind or just completely ignorant.

Worthy is an athletic freak. He's slight, but plays strong. Needs to work on ball skills, but he's a second rounder at worst. Especially after he rips off a sub 4.4 at 6'0 170 with his tape.

• Hook 'Em 7

4 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

Not even Worthy. 

You have nothing against the guy except making shit up to fit your narrative. Worthy’s hands are wildly inconsistent and it’s maddening. To say he doesn’t have the route running or quickness is insanely stupid. 

11 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

His height and weight are irrelevant in the modern NFL. Since 2020 the amount of receivers with his build are being taken higher and higher. He has rare stop/start acceleration and runs great routes. 

if you’re honestly saying he doesn’t run great routes then it’s best to just shut the fuck up because saying that says you have no fucking clue what you’re talking about. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

Best whip route I can ever recall against a P5 corner. His stop/start is off the charts, and anyone who has ever played / coaches knows this guy works on route running and is a master at it at the college level. And lol that his slight size won’t translate. You’re nuts. 

Edited by Porterhouse

12 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

Have you watched any Texas football games over the past three years? It seems like you haven’t. 

1 minute ago, Porterhouse said:

You have nothing against the guy except making shit up to fit your narrative. Worthy’s hands are wildly inconsistent and it’s maddening. To say he doesn’t have the route running or quickness is insanely stupid. 

I must have really fucked up if you think something I said was stupid considering every post of yours today has been pants-on-head retarded, Mr. "We're better than the '05 Longhorns!"

You must be blind or just completely ignorant.

Worthy is an athletic freak. He's slight, but plays strong. Needs to work on ball skills, but he's a second rounder at worst. Especially after he rips off a sub 4.4 at 6'0 170 with his tape.

Another hot take here.

Sub 4.4 isn't some be-all end-all anymore in the NFL.  Guys are running 4.2s/4.3s no problem.  But yes, he is fast.  

An athletic freak?  Tyreek Hill is an athletic freak.  DK Metcalf is an athletic freak.  Worthy is a stick figure built like Randy Moss just 3 inches shorter and 40 pounds lighter.

Never cracked 1k yards receiving.  Good for 60 catches a year.  Which isn't terrible, but c'mon.  He's playing on teams stacked with D1 talent with 5* QBs throwing him the ball in a defense deficient conference.  

2nd round?  Really?  10 years in the league?  Really?  Guess I am blind and/or ignorant because I don't see it as of yet.  Though he does have a lot of games against creampuffs coming up to prove me wrong.  

1 minute ago, SpiralOut said:

I must have really fucked up if you think something I said was stupid considering every post of yours today has been pants-on-head retarded, Mr. "We're better than the '05 Longhorns!"

Another hot take here.

Sub 4.4 isn't some be-all end-all anymore in the NFL.  Guys are running 4.2s/4.3s no problem.  But yes, he is fast.  

An athletic freak?  Tyreek Hill is an athletic freak.  DK Metcalf is an athletic freak.  Worthy is a stick figure built like Randy Moss just 3 inches shorter and 40 pounds lighter.

Never cracked 1k yards receiving.  Good for 60 catches a year.  Which isn't terrible, but c'mon.  He's playing on teams stacked with D1 talent with 5* QBs throwing him the ball in a defense deficient conference.  

2nd round?  Really?  10 years in the league?  Really?  Guess I am blind and/or ignorant because I don't see it as of yet.  Though he does have a lot of games against creampuffs coming up to prove me wrong.  

You’re just retarded. Dude will finish as a top 3 receiver in program history in just 3 years in the program. If he stayed 4, he’d be the best receiver in program history. 

Just now, SpiralOut said:

Interesting observation. Find one post where I said anything remotely close to that. Given you think X doesn’t have relative quickness and route running ability, I can’t wait to see what you find. 

18 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

This reminds me of waking up to the house being on fire as a teen, and great-grandpa watching tv, through the thick smoke and alarms going off. Guy couldn’t see or hear a damn thing but pretended he knew what was happening.

• Haha 1