This team is scary good

ztejas

You must be blind or just completely ignorant.
Worthy is an athletic freak. He's slight, but plays strong. Needs to work on ball skills, but he's a second rounder at worst. Especially after he rips off a sub 4.4 at 6'0 170 with his tape.

He’s a slot receiver in the NFL and on the right team can go multiple.

Perhaps Worthy is rope a doping and making business decisions, but his ball skills remind me of James Kirkendoll. What is Worthy’s catch/target rate? It doesnt seem good. The next circus catch with a DB jacking him up will be his first. And he drops gimmes and struggles with the ball.

I think he does have great quickness, enough toughness, and route running to stick in the NFL. And he can house it at anytime. But so can that Baylor player running 23mphs.

But he’s not in the same league as 3rd round pick Devin Duvernay, who supposedly didnt drop a pass final season here*. I also found Goodwin to be reliable and dangerous.

Some simp may draft on potential. And maybe Worthy will be more focused and try harder in the show. And stay healthy. But he’s frustrating to watch. 1st rounder? Sure. He can do a lot when he does catch the ball and nobody’s around him. That doesnt happen as often in the pros.

*Michael Huff was doing a profile on Duvernay on LHN. Huff asked what would happen if they squared off now. Duvernay replied instantly “Oh, touchdown.”

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You’re just retarded. Dude will finish as a top 3 receiver in program history in just 3 years in the program. If he stayed 4, he’d be the best receiver in program history. 

And that's, what do you call it?  A strawman?  A red herring?  I don't know, one of those.  Since the argument wasn't about how good he was for us or where he ranked in the history of Texas receivers.

My argument was saying he's a stone-handed speed guy without the talent to be an upper round, 10 year NFL guy.  Which isn't crazy.  Hardly anyone is a 10-year NFL guy. 

Somehow me thinking he's not a super-elite route runner has devolved into a dogpile where it looks like I hate the kid.  I don't.  I think he's great.  I just think the koo-laid drinkers need to chill a bit.  First on comparing this team who struggles with Wyoming to the Vince led, undefeated, Nat'l champs, to acting like Worthy is equivalent to Roy fucking Williams.  A guy who, by the by, also didn't have a 10-year NFL career.  

• Hook 'Em 2

The 2005 team was special. They also scored 25 against OSU. A team likely less talented than the Bama one we just beat. They were also a Ting brother pick away from never winning a title. They had Greg.

This years team will have just as many drafted as that team. Or at least in the ballpark. Some of those may come in 3/4 years whereas the 2005 guys were juniors and seniors. Sendlein, undrafted, probably had the 3rd best career in the NFL off that offensive team.

This team, this program is set up that any starter will get an NFL look. Then you got guys like Kitan and Keilan who could be special teams guys at the next level.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

And that's, what do you call it?  A strawman?  A red herring?  I don't know, one of those.  Since the argument wasn't about how good he was for us or where he ranked in the history of Texas receivers.

My argument was saying he's a stone-handed speed guy without the talent to be an upper round, 10 year NFL guy.  Which isn't crazy.  Hardly anyone is a 10-year NFL guy. 

Somehow me thinking he's not a super-elite route runner has devolved into a dogpile where it looks like I hate the kid.  I don't.  I think he's great.  I just think the koo-laid drinkers need to chill a bit.  First on comparing this team who struggles with Wyoming to the Vince led, undefeated, Nat'l champs, to acting like Worthy is equivalent to Roy fucking Williams.  A guy who, by the by, also didn't have a 10-year NFL career.  

You said he didn’t have NFL quickness and route running. Literally the two NFL attributes he possesses, now, you said he didn’t have. That and the fact that you keep digging in is why you’re at the bottom of a dogpile.  You keep erecting your own strawmen of claims some here were saying this team compares to ‘05. You specifically mentioned me. I’ll ask again, where was this said?  Find the post. 

16 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

My God. Can’t we just enjoy having a good team with a ton of upside?  Some of y’all forget actually enduring Charlie Strong. 

I hate the fuck out of our fans sometimes. You'd think we were 0-4 with blowout losses to Rice and Baylor, Ewers was on his 17th INT, and Worthy was still in the parking lot dicking down SpiralOut's mom.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Fan guesses as to where guys on this team get drafted in 24

Ewers-Top 10. He'll kill it in the workouts and someone will fall in love

Sweat- rd 1. Monster

Sanders-late 1st-2nd. I've previously argued that NFL teams tend to prefer 6'5+ tight ends early, but he's continued to improve plus Kincaid went 25th last year and JT is better and bigger and healthier.

Worthy- rd 2. Ideal scenario he's an elite #2 receiver with big play capability. 

Collins rd 3-4

Ford- rd 4-5

Mitchell rd 4-5

Jones rd 4-6

Watts rd 5-6

Catalon rd 7-udfa

Whitt udfa

Keilon and Kitan could stick around on ST. Brooks could be a late pick if he continues to play like he has and decides to go. Sorrell and Murphy are on boards also,  it would be mutually beneficial to get them back I imagine

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

The 2005 team was special. They also scored 25 against OSU. A team likely less talented than the Bama one we just beat. They were also a Ting brother pick away from never winning a title. They had Greg.

This years team will have just as many drafted as that team. Or at least in the ballpark. Some of those may come in 3/4 years whereas the 2005 guys were juniors and seniors. Sendlein, undrafted, probably had the 3rd best career in the NFL off that offensive team.

This team, this program is set up that any starter will get an NFL look. Then you got guys like Kitan and Keilan who could be special teams guys at the next level.

That tosu 05 squad would absolutely skullfuck Bama 23. They had 10 guys drafted in top 3 rounds that yr next, the 06 draft had 5 first rounders alone. That was a stacked squad. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Spiral it seems like you don’t follow the NFL draft much so let me help you out. WR size has decreased in importance and separation ability has increased in value. Tutu Atwell measured 5’8” and 149 lbs at the 2021 combine. Not a typo. Sub 150 lbs. And he didn’t even run sub 4.4. Didn’t matter. Rams still drafted him in the second round. Worthy will go in the 1st two rounds. Welcome to the new NFL. @SpiralOut

Edited by Irieguy
  • Hook 'Em 3

The point of comparing this team to the 05 team is to understand how this team stacks up against one of the best Texas teams ever. It's not to say those teams might be equal. To me, it's about where we have caught up in terms of talent and where we need to improve to be able to compete for an NC. This is also a team with a 4-0 record after a long time, so some of us like to dream what we possibly could accomplish this year.

We have 2 difficult games left on the schedule. Even if we lose one and end up winning the Big 12, we might still get picked for the playoffs. I like to be optimistic until there is no reason to be.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Irieguy said:

For posterity, here is the part of the dumbest fucking post ever. @SpiralOut

Fucks sake ya'll are dumber than fucking dog shit.  Are you all Aggies in fucking disguise who have jumped ship over here since the Jimbo-era?

Sub 4.4 is a regular occurrence now in the NFL.  That's not super special magical Christmas land anymore.  IMHO, which you all can disagree with, Xavier's only top NFL talent as of right now is his speed.  And has he proven to run a 4.2?  I honestly don't know, maybe one of ya'll does.  He's definitely fast.  But lots of guys are fast.

And if you're going to quote me to talk shit, don't edit it.

Guys are running 4.2s/4.3s no problem.

That's what I said.  And it's the truth.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/2022-nfl-combine-wide-receiver-40-times-tyquan-thornton-so-dang-fast

A historic number of wideouts torched the turf at Lucas Oil Stadium, led by Baylor wideout Tyquan Thornton and his event-record 4.21-second sprint down the sideline. He was one of three receivers to break the 4.3s barrier and twelve to run under 4.4 in general as Rich Eisen and Daniel Jeremiah, calling the event live on NFL Network, could only reel off a litany of “wows.”

So in last year's draft alone, three dudes at wideout ran 4.2 times.  TWELVE dudes ran under 4.4.  So speed is not something that is lacking in the WR department when you go to draft a player.  How is that so difficult for you to understand?  

Goddamn, if you don't drop to your knees and open wide to receive our player's dicks around here then out come the pitchforks.  

I will gladly admit after perusing the last couple of drafts which I don't religiously keep up with that the NFL is going towards smaller receivers.  And some teams have made some seriously questionable draft picks of WRs in the first couple of rounds.  Probably because they're all desperately trying to conform to the new "RBs are pointless, throw it 50 times a game" meta in the NFL.  I still don't think, as it stands right now, Worthy is a top round guy.  Way too inconsistent.  And the idea that he hangs in the league for 10 years is fantasy land since hardly anyone does that anyway, but especially in today's NFL where they'll just throw you on the trash heap and draft another guy who is way cheaper.

At any rate, done with this silly nonsense.  

th?id=OIP.VDk8x2BFN-YKDJvGGcWBNgAAAA%26p

1 hour ago, bluto said:

That tosu 05 squad would absolutely skullfuck Bama 23. They had 10 guys drafted in top 3 rounds that yr next, the 06 draft had 5 first rounders alone. That was a stacked squad. 

Beat me to it. That Ohio State team was killer. Especially by years end. They very well may have been capable of taking down USC themselves on a good day. 

Edited by LateAughtsHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, LateAughtsHorn said:

Beat me to it. That Ohio State team was killer. Especially by years end. They very well may have been capable of taking down USC themselves on a good day. 

With Troy Smith starting, I think USC would be looking up at Ohio State in 2005. I think it would’ve been a hell of a consolation game. 

The idea that Worthy’s speed or quickness isn’t enough to get him drafted is ridiculous.

He’s quick as hell. He’s plenty fast for the NFL.

He has a decent chance to leave TEXAS after this year with the 3rd highest production of all WR in Texas History as a JR. I expect he’ll receive a 2nd round grade.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

The idea that Worthy’s speed or quickness isn’t enough to get him drafted is ridiculous.

He’s quick as hell. He’s plenty fast for the NFL.

He has a decent chance to leave TEXAS after this year with the 3rd highest production of all WR in Texas History as a JR. I expect he’ll receive a 2nd round grade.

Right now Xavier Worthy would be the clear cut #1 receiver on any Longhorn team that didn't have Roy Williams or Jordan Shipley. 

That includes that 2018 team.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Right now Xavier Worthy would be the clear cut #1 receiver on any Longhorn team that didn't have Roy Williams or Jordan Shipley. 

That includes that 2018 team.

Personally I'd rather take a 2019 Devin Duvernay over current form X. That dude was decently fast, had great contact balance, and was incredibly reliable.

X is a superior athlete. DD is a superior football player. Now, if X improves his catching ability, this becomes a vastly different debate.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

Personally I'd rather take a 2019 Devin Duvernay over current form X. That dude was decently fast, had great contact balance, and was incredibly reliable.

X is a superior athlete. DD is a superior football player. Now, if X improves his catching ability, this becomes a vastly different debate.

DD won the state 100M dash in high school by running a 10.27.  Decently fast might be selling him a little short.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, SpiralOut said:

I must have really fucked up if you think something I said was stupid considering every post of yours today has been pants-on-head retarded, Mr. "We're better than the '05 Longhorns!"

Another hot take here.

Sub 4.4 isn't some be-all end-all anymore in the NFL.  Guys are running 4.2s/4.3s no problem.  But yes, he is fast.  

An athletic freak?  Tyreek Hill is an athletic freak.  DK Metcalf is an athletic freak.  Worthy is a stick figure built like Randy Moss just 3 inches shorter and 40 pounds lighter.

Never cracked 1k yards receiving.  Good for 60 catches a year.  Which isn't terrible, but c'mon.  He's playing on teams stacked with D1 talent with 5* QBs throwing him the ball in a defense deficient conference.  

2nd round?  Really?  10 years in the league?  Really?  Guess I am blind and/or ignorant because I don't see it as of yet.  Though he does have a lot of games against creampuffs coming up to prove me wrong.  

Worthy is built like desean Jackson who, checks notes, had a 15 year career. He’s built like DeVonta Smith who, checks notes, won a heisman and was a first round pick. He drops passes sure, but he has come light years in tracking passes and he possesses great speed and elite quickness. Sometimes we just have really shitty takes, it happens to everybody haha. 

4 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Worthy is built like desean Jackson who, checks notes, had a 15 year career. He’s built like DeVonta Smith who, checks notes, won a heisman and was a first round pick. He drops passes sure, but he has come light years in tracking passes and he possesses great speed and elite quickness. Sometimes we just have really shitty takes, it happens to everybody haha. 

Wait until Spiral reads about Zay Flowers that is, *checks notes* 5'9 180 lbs, and was drafted in the 1st round 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Good post but you don’t even need to go in to this level of detail. There isn’t a single NFL expert that has a mock draft with Worthy going later than 2nd round. They aren’t 100% accurate but are rarely 2 rounds off. SpiralOut has conceded the argument. We can move on. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

This team is not scary.  This team has some scary talent.  In a game, this team needs to play 4 solid quarters of football.  Do that over a span of  multiple games and they can be considered "scary."

I haven't seen that yet.  Who has?

In the past we have had teams with talent, but we start strong then collapse for the better part of 14 years. This team has a boat load of talent with talented depth, and they have the ability to close out games which is different from the past. I'm not completely regarded when it comes to the level of competition we have seen so far, but we didn't collapse when it mattered the most. The core of this team is proving it knows how to win and that's what is scary in my opinion. We will lose a game or two due to some ref fuckery or just flat out shitting the bed but I'm betting even those games will be tough fought battles. Knowing how to win has been our biggest enemy since Royal, hell even Mack struggled with it a bunch.  

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

This team is not scary.  This team has some scary talent.  In a game, this team needs to play 4 solid quarters of football.  Do that over a span of  multiple games and they can be considered "scary."

we still have a ways to go and i generally agree with the sentiment of your post.  people are overreacting to beating a team that lost to texas state at home with a lot of zeal.  i always find it pretty incredible how much this board overreacts in both directions to certain outcomes.  in a sport that thrives on inconsistency even from very good teams (which is what makes cfb interesting), i have always found that amusing.

but...for the first time in what seems like a long time, texas did not play down (or up) to the opponent.  herman and sark are both horrible about that.  instead, the horns went out and did what they were supposed to do for the most part.  and quinn finally threw a truly accurate deep pass (yay)!  despite being put in a shit situation multiple times due to the most boneheaded fucking special teams game since maybe ncstate in 1999 off the top of my head, the defense absolutely obliterated the soul of a team that should have been able to get something going twice.

baylor is seriously horrible...especially the version we faced saturday.  i can't believe dave has left them get so poor but that's another discussion.  they had absolutely nothing.  but, sark has a large body of work implying that texas goes out and has to win a stupid game that's closer than it should be on a couple of big plays to take baylor down 35-27 and instead, they dominated.  that was refreshing.  and if auburn can hit extra point distance field goals and xavier/jordan don't go full you know what on punt return, that is a 48-3 beatdown of a bad p5 team which has been a while.

we have a lot of "good" teams left on the schedule.  teams that can win if texas lets them.  ou, kansas, kstate, byu, tcu are all slightly above average teams and a couple of them are arguably top 25 teams.  scares you to death but so far, (knock on the biggest fucking wood of all time) we have only suffered one critical injury and have had good luck on that front...and the defensive line is playing at an exceptional, national championship contending level.  quinn is getting better, sanders is dominating, cook and mitchell offering the defense something else besides worthy opens up all kinds of shit, linebacker play is best since gary johnson, and the dbs are doing "enough."  the other big takeaway from the last two games for me is that i might have to admit that i was overly skeptical about brooks' ability to make a difference.  he's been fantastic since the third quarter of the wyoming game.

quinn still missed some subtle stuff (very minor relatively speaking) and special teams should be taken out back and shot but other than that, very little to nothing to complain about which is nice for a change.  we disposed of the team that should be fighting houston for worst in the league this year.  gets significantly more interesting from here.  but at least it's interesting again.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, deadshank said:

Blowing teams out for 3 quarters is gonna lead to some who gives a shit 4th quarters. It is scary talent too. A guy like Johntay Cook being the 4th receiver speaks to that.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

I think this team has the potential to be more like a '00-'02 Texas team than '05,'08, or '09. 

‘01 was arguably the most talented outside of ‘05. ‘01 versus ‘08 would be a good argument. 

13 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

Worthy lacks the quickness?

are we watching different players?

13 hours ago, SpiralOut said:

He's great when he's running in a straight line, no doubt.  On routes over the middle and shit where he has to out-work a defender with his routes, footwork, and cuts?  I ain't seen anything that special out of him.  

13 hours ago, Atticus said:

You must be blind or just completely ignorant.

Worthy is an athletic freak. He's slight, but plays strong. Needs to work on ball skills, but he's a second rounder at worst. Especially after he rips off a sub 4.4 at 6'0 170 with his tape.

13 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

You have nothing against the guy except making shit up to fit your narrative. Worthy’s hands are wildly inconsistent and it’s maddening. To say he doesn’t have the route running or quickness is insanely stupid. 

13 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

His height and weight are irrelevant in the modern NFL. Since 2020 the amount of receivers with his build are being taken higher and higher. He has rare stop/start acceleration and runs great routes. 

if you’re honestly saying he doesn’t run great routes then it’s best to just shut the fuck up because saying that says you have no fucking clue what you’re talking about. 

Worthy has awful hands. God awful. That is going to hurt him because in the NFL catch radius is a thing. He is absolutely elite with the ball in his hands and at route running. HOWEVER, his size is an issue because he has trouble getting off the line and can be easily rerouted during his route. He also doesn't win 50/50 balls. Someone will grab him because his game speed is crazy fast, but those are his issues.

• Like 2

I don’t understand the fretting bc we haven’t put together 4 whole quarters yet 

UGA was down 14-3 to South Carolina at the half and didn’t score until the 2nd Q against Ball State

Michigan only scored 7 in the 2H against ECU and fell behind 7-0 to Rutgers (like we did to Wyoming)

FSU is as close to being 2-2 as they are 4-0

We've had 4 very comfortable wins, including a 10 point win in Tuscaloosa. We treated Wyoming and Rice like preseason NFL games.  Dominated Baylor despite muffing 2 punts and didn’t let them in the endzone

RELAX

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Js1 said:

UGA was down 14-3 to South Carolina at the half and didn’t score until the 2nd Q against Ball State

Michigan only scored 7 in the 2H against ECU and fell behind 7-0 to Rutgers (like we did to Wyoming)

We've had 4 very comfortable wins, including a 10 point win in Tuscaloosa. We treated Wyoming and Rice like preseason NFL games.  Dominated Baylor despite muffing 2 punts and didn’t let them in the endzone

RELAX

I scored in your mom’s muff and she let me in the end zone. 

There are probably 2 or 3 teams in college that can give Texas a full 4 quarter game. If Texas plays to its talent and ability, every conference game will look like Baylor.

Hell, just look at the Alabama game, they took the lead late in the 3Q, and Texas woke up and scored 21 points in 8 minutes and then ran out the last 7 minutes of the clock running it down the throats of a tired Bama defense.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

RELAX

georgia and michigan (to some extent) have earned the benefit of the doubt in a way texas hasn't over the last few years.  

i suspect fsu fan boards have posters fretting over deficiencies in their games against b.c. and clemson that have to be fixed if they want to win a national championship.

Just now, sidis said:

georgia and michigan (to some extent) have earned the benefit of the doubt in a way texas hasn't over the last few years.  

i suspect fsu fan boards have posters fretting over deficiencies in their games against b.c. and clemson that have to be fixed if they want to win a national championship.

If Texas had squeaked out wins against Rice or Wyoming and Baylor, maybe. We were not in danger of losing either game. Rice and Wyoming are probably better than BC too

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

We've had 4 very comfortable wins, including a 10 point win in Tuscaloosa. We treated Wyoming and Rice like preseason NFL games. 

RELAX

At some point, this team will be required to string together 4 complete quarters of superb execution and make deal-sealing plays.  They need to learn how that is done.  They haven't yet. The term "scary" is just a silly click bait type of descriptor.  This team has potential. 

Scary?  Nah.  Some recent Bama teams, '05 Texas, Miami at its zenith were "scary."  

This squad has some scary talent.  As a team, they aren't scary.

Let's fight.