Calling all users - Feedback on ads/sponsors

immamac

Just now, Kennythetiger said:

My advice would be to fix the recurring server issues before we get too worried about fancy advertising. 

The search cluster is fixed now. I migrated it yesterday and this rebuild should have us in a good spot for a while. Search borking has been very annoying, but its obviously a critical part of the site experience. 

Just now, SquishMitten said:

I’m not entirely sure what question you’re asking. 

Because you haven't had ads in years. Lol 

• Hook 'Em 6

Is partnering specifically with UT affiliated products or services an option? I don't know but some sort of affiliate marketing with UT gear sellers or just primarily Austin based companies? Though I don't know the demographics/locations of my fellow degenerates.

But if it's just events related - local sponsors who maybe get to distribute shitty swag or have a booth in the bar restroom pitching their wares.

And in general, I don't know shit about fuck because I'm the asshole who only used the Brave browser here because it blocked all the ads since they were giant AIDS covered donkey dicks slapping me in my face.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

Is partnering specifically with UT affiliated products or services an option? I don't know but some sort of affiliate marketing with UT gear sellers or just primarily Austin based companies? Though I don't know the demographics/locations of my fellow degenerates.

But if it's just events related - local sponsors who maybe get to distribute shitty swag or have a booth in the bar restroom pitching their wares.

And in general, I don't know shit about fuck because I'm the asshole who only used the Brave browser here because it blocked all the ads since they were giant AIDS covered donkey dicks slapping me in my face.

You can use a normal browser now lol

Just now, SHOOTER12 said:

I would take the term "slush fund" out of your post.its innocent WE know but some of the IR8, or aggy will report it as proof the Longhorns are doing something shady or illegal.

See: Blacklab vs. Daiquiri maggot, and the phrase "tree-fiddy".

This is compliant, because it goes into a fund allocated to real deals that surly does with a player. It's not a payment to a player facilitated by surly. Already talked through it with UT. 

• Hook 'Em 4

The ads were cpmplete aids for any lurkers/visitors browsing the site on a mobile device.  I suspect the simple act of removing them is going to increase traffic on the site.  Non-invasive (banner or sticky thread) advertising for sponsorships would be my suggestion as it doesn't curb interest in the site from visitors.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, immamac said:

This is compliant, because it goes into a fund allocated to real deals that surly does with a player. It's not a payment to a player facilitated by surly. Already talked through it with UT. 

I believe you 1000%, but was thinking how the word slush has negative connotations.  aggy would love going to the NCAA saying looky, looky we told you. All apparently easily disproved but could still be a major pain in the ass. But sounds like you've got your bases covered. Maybe I'm just a little paranoid this early in the morning,  lol.

Just now, JMFP said:

There's this one guy that took over a social media platform then struggled with revenue. I think he just started charging people 8 bucks a month and that made everyone happy 🤷‍♂️

We don't have a revenue problem, we want to drive more actual engagement from fans to teams and players on those teams. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

We don't have a revenue problem, we want to drive more actual engagement from fans to teams and players on those teams. 

What about opening the archive (or a few episodes) of Burnt Ends game recaps/podcasts to all users on a delayed basis.

That would provide immediate value for joining and being a part of burnt ends (Members get access when most relevant) and allow the non users to see some additional value to them of joining the program.

I'm OK with a site containing ads.  What grilled me a bit about the ads on surly were the constant pop out video ads and particularly the ones that took up the entirety of the screen warning me about a computer virus, requiring me to back out of the page to get back to the content.  I've never seen ads like that on any other site I've ever been on.

Surly would be an ideal place for Longhorn-connected companies or those selling Longhorn gear could advertise without abusing the eyes too much.  It may be less money than the previous ad mix brought in.  But it would be something going to a good cause and more relevant to our interests.

• Hook 'Em 4

I got logged out for some reason and the ads aids were so bad they would cover the login button after I entered username and password. I dont know how anyone that isn't treefidy or legacy even looked at the site. 

I don't know if anyone pays for banner ads anymore,  but they are the only ones I can stand. All the middle of page and auto scroll and auto play garbage out there made me switch to duck duck go.  There are some sites that it doesn't play well with and several newspapers that auto boot me. Fuck em. 

Just sell all our personal data to Russian bots like everyone else. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Firemans4Horn said:

The ads in cloak room are the worst of any site I’ve ever visited on mobile. 

Yep, and I'm Tree Fiddy, so I'm still not sure why I see them at all?

Not a huge deal -- I just generally stay off of that part of the board unless I'm on my laptop.

Overall, this site kicks all kinds of ass, and I appreciate that it rarely crashes, even during games.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 3

I don't do much complaining,  but the only reason I'm not a tree fiddy member is because it won't work with my debit card,  and going to set up a PayPal account,  or some other account,  is not gonna happen (fucking fuck PayPal's motherfucking whole existence)

Maybe you could fix that to drive more memberships/revenue 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, SKJ said:

I don't do much complaining,  but the only reason I'm not a tree fiddy member is because it won't work with my debit card,  and going to set up a PayPal account,  or some other account,  is not gonna happen (fucking fuck PayPal's motherfucking whole existence)

Maybe you could fix that to drive more memberships/revenue 

I added google pay/apple pay as options. You can always hit me up out of band and do ACH payments through stripe as well I just have to send you a custom invoice. 

1 hour ago, SHOOTER12 said:

I would take the term "slush fund" out of your post.its innocent WE know but some of the IR8, or aggy will report it as proof the Longhorns are doing something shady or illegal.

See: Blacklab vs. Daiquiri maggot, and the phrase "tree-fiddy".

@South Austin, are you paying attention?  This is how you correctly cite precedence. 

1 hour ago, immamac said:

This is the current plan. 

Good. Thank you. I might actually become Tree Fiddy now. I’d like to provide some semblance of appreciation to you, but the ads had killed any goodwill. 

I am glad you’re doing this. It will definitely improve the experience, and drastically so. There were many times I just stopped trying to post and thought it was an intentional effort to get people to not participate. 

There will be significantly more traffic now. 

34 minutes ago, immamac said:

I added google pay/apple pay as options. You can always hit me up out of band and do ACH payments through stripe as well I just have to send you a custom invoice. 

I was not aware of this.  I will tree fitty today

Thanks

• Hook 'Em 5

Removing the ads will significantly improve traffic.  I would also work to stop the political creep out of the cloak room.  I used to enjoy reading the Daily Texan board but never look at it any more because the same folks (captainant, ygifs, etc..) find a way to turn every discussion of a current event into something political.  Shit is tiresome and politics seems to reign supreme in every corner of life these days.  Provide a place for people to get away from it and don't let it creep on to other boards.

• immamac unpinned and unfeatured this topic