Calling all users - Feedback on ads/sponsors

immamac

4 minutes ago, Guest Lurker said:

Removing the ads will significantly improve traffic.  I would also work to stop the political creep out of the cloak room.  I used to enjoy reading the Daily Texan board but never look at it any more because the same folks (captainant, ygifs, etc..) find a way to turn every discussion of a current event into something political.  Shit is tiresome and politics seems to reign supreme in every corner of life these days.  Provide a place for people to get away from it and don't let it creep on to other boards.

There is a long thread on Board Discussion on this very topic. Short answer is that it's not likely to change. The reasons why are numerous. 

I say that at the risk of totally derailing this thread.

Guest Guest Lurker

I have an account but have stopped posting because of the insanity of several cloak room posters who follow around to football boards and down vote to get you banned. No sense in getting involved with posting any more. 

I sign in occasionally to buy football tickets from users, but that’s about it. 

I have an add blocker, so I have no technical complaints about the board. It’s great to see the work Immamac does for the athletes here at Texas.  Keep up the good work, and I admittedly need to get my donations going. 

1 minute ago, Guest Guest Lurker said:

I have an account but have stopped posting because of the insanity of several cloak room posters who follow around to football boards and down vote to get you banned. No sense in getting involved with posting any more. 

I have an add blocker, so I have no technical complaints about the board. It’s great to see the work Immamac does for the athletes here at Texas.  Keep up the good work, and I admittedly need to get my donations going. 

noted. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Guest Guest Lurker said:

Who has this happened to? I've seen this said before but I haven't seen it. I am fully aware that this doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but can you or others point to any usernames this has occurred to? Who has gotten banned (or near-banned) by CR posters outside of the CR?

Note that I am excluding various iterations of GRHorn and animaltobacco as those are (imo) more reactions to repeated trolling with new user names.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Guest Lurker said:

I used to enjoy reading the Daily Texan board but never look at it any more because the same folks (captainant, ygifs, etc..) find a way to turn every discussion of a current event into something political.

This is backwards from reality, but as someone else said, there's a whole thread on it in Board Discussion.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Good. Thank you. I might actually become Tree Fiddy now. I’d like to provide some semblance of appreciation to you, but the ads had killed any goodwill. 

Soooo, the ads bothered you so much that you refused to be a tree fiddy subscriber...which would have meant you no longer had to see ads. But now that nobody will have to see ads, you're willing to become a subscriber? Okie dokie!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, SquishMitten said:

Soooo, the ads bothered you so much that you refused to be a tree fiddy subscriber...which would have meant you no longer had to see ads. But now that nobody will have to see ads, you're willing to become a subscriber? Okie dokie!

This isn't an uncommon sentiment - the ads were basically a big fuck you to anyone who saw them it was unusable. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, SKJ said:

I don't do much complaining,  but the only reason I'm not a tree fiddy member is because it won't work with my debit card,  and going to set up a PayPal account,  or some other account,  is not gonna happen (fucking fuck PayPal's motherfucking whole existence)

Maybe you could fix that to drive more memberships/revenue 

You could pay me, then I could pay them. It's totally legit. 

1 hour ago, Guest Guest Lurker said:

I'd imagine messaging the mods if that was regularly happening would put an end to it. 

• Haha 1

Guest Horn for Life 1965

So I have family on both sides of Texas/OU.  I have to say my youngest made the worst party foul in the fall!  

yep Wedding on Oct 7th.  Geez 

bright kids but damn.  I guess the youngest daughter gets the pat on the back full ride to Alabama.

good news The Horns won when it counted.

I might be talked into trying to get a collective going.   

Thanks to everyone all the way back to Shaggy Bevo.

The big gray arrow in bottom right corner on Mobile is annoying. Will jump you to top of page if hit randomly while scrolling.

Ideas to get people to site? Could try letting users from this week’s opponent posts as guests in the weekly thread/game thread, or maybe allow them to post under their schools forum handle here. 

EX: Someone from KillerFrogs who’s had a handle there for awhile could post/sign up for game week here using the same login info/profile 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Guest Lurker said:

Removing the ads will significantly improve traffic.  I would also work to stop the political creep out of the cloak room.  I used to enjoy reading the Daily Texan board but never look at it any more because the same folks (captainant, ygifs, etc..) find a way to turn every discussion of a current event into something political.  Shit is tiresome and politics seems to reign supreme in every corner of life these days.  Provide a place for people to get away from it and don't let it creep on to other boards.

As a general rule, I think ignoring users is for the feeble minded. But those two are on my ignore list, CA for that exact reason. Not being inundated with their nonsense makes for a much better product. 

Edited by Porterhouse

1 hour ago, SquishMitten said:

Of course. I don’t give money to bad products. 

14 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

The big gray arrow in bottom right corner on Mobile is annoying. Will jump you to top of page if hit randomly while scrolling.

Ideas to get people to site? Could try letting users from this week’s opponent posts as guests in the weekly thread/game thread, or maybe allow them to post under their schools forum handle here. 

EX: Someone from KillerFrogs who’s had a handle there for awhile could post/sign up for game week here using the same login info/profile 

I can see about making a bunch of stuff toggleable like this button I know people have different preferences, like for me I love that button. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Scroll with your other hand. Like you do when you jerk it. 

and guess I’m a legacy member cause I don’t ever see ads on mobile. I do notice them when I login from work but I do that immediately and don’t pay attention to them. 

soooooooooo, keep up the good work as far as I’m concerned. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

The ads in cloak room are the worst of any site I’ve ever visited on mobile. 

I never see ads… except recently I bounced over to the Cloak Room to see reactions to something. Maybe Boebert’s misunderstanding in the theater. 🤷‍♂️

Holy crap was I inundated with ads that were more in-your-face that 5 drill sergeants in the face of a newly enlisted kid ducking around in basic training (I would guess).

I’m a poor (forgive me for being an over educated poor) and so I always wondered why I am not inundated with ads. Just discovered that I’m a “Legacy” member, whatever that means. 

I have been around since Hornfans in 2000 (and maybe Austin360 (365?) before that. Was banned a couple of times from Hornfans for language 🙄, so not sure when I started down the Napoleon path, but probably mid-late 2000s. 

6 hours ago, LonghornJones said:

Whoever has the most rep points in the next calendar year gets a case of OG 4Loko and a HJ.

If you really want to OG, you need to provide some original recipe of this shit…

IMG_8056.png.35858152be253c449513013c920e5fcb.png

Downing one of these to start a cheap night out was something I may or may not have done nearly 20 years ago. 

It was the first of the premixed booze & “energy” drinks as far as I know.

• Hook 'Em 1

On a mobile it was unbearable , thought I looked at “awesome Juggs machine” one too many times and got the virus. Didn’t know about treefifty. So now that adds gone - would you prefer I join treefiddy , make a donation to tail gate or burnt ends or nil? ….your gonna get about 3.50 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

\

This would be my feedback - it's essentially non-functional on mobile. 

BUT - Im not complaining because it's basically indefensible that I'm not a Treefiddy member. 

Yeah....this.  I keep telling myself "yeah, gotta do that sometime."  And never do.  Because I'm a shitheel at heart.

7 hours ago, txhorns said:

We just need to start an OnlyFans page that features Surly members.

You asked for it, you got it....my preview page....

dave-dance.gif

• Haha 1

It don’t mKe a shit to me. I love the sight. I like making fun of people who post 5 times in a row when shits borked.  Even when I’ve had some really down days I come here for the lulz. Ads or not I’m just glad the sites here so I have something to look forward to 

It really is hands down the best college football forum online. Texags and SECRant are fucking awful. Chock full of idiots and mouth breathers. I will beg the fuck out of anyone who says “frick” like those sister fucking imbeciles.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Not sure it’s really related, but it’s in the same forum - I’d like to see the ticket exchange grow to be the go to source for fan sourced longhorn tickets.

Secondary markets screw the seller and the buyer with fees. Market share here for longhorn tickets would get more eyeballs on the site. A reasonable fee structure (even if higher than the processing fees posted today) that can cover other lurker costs or NIL or whatever but is less predatory seems like a pretty damn good idea. I assume that’s why this exists. 

just call cdc and have him allocate some tickets to you to get going. Seems simple enough.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Farmerted said:

On a mobile it was unbearable , thought I looked at “awesome Juggs machine” one too many times and got the virus. Didn’t know about treefifty. So now that adds gone - would you prefer I join treefiddy , make a donation to tail gate or burnt ends or nil? ….your gonna get about 3.50 

Burnt ends is the way to go. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• immamac unpinned and unfeatured this topic