Calling all users - Feedback on ads/sponsors

immamac

Guest lurker feedback
13 hours ago, 27-25 said:

I'm OK with a site containing ads.  What grilled me a bit about the ads on surly were the constant pop out video ads and particularly the ones that took up the entirety of the screen warning me about a computer virus, requiring me to back out of the page to get back to the content.  I've never seen ads like that on any other site I've ever been on.

Agreed. I started posting on the old 360 board and have migrated through every major board since, including that Barking Carnival board, if I remember correctly its affiliation, from the early to mid-2000s.  Those ads are limiting my willingness to lurk. 

But the experiences that finally drove me off from posting were some of the general boorishness and pomposity from many posters, including some of the more established and influential ones (including mods) who are still around on Surly and were on both HornFans and Shaggy.  It's not that I couldn't, or didn't, develop a thick skin; I attend a weekly happy hour where we call each other assholes frequently, but almost always in fun and never in a way that lasts.

It's that the worst of posters and occasionally even mods inspired others to pile on and dragged down the level of discussion. The whole "reputation" process may have also helped drive that a bit. There seem to be fewer of the good posters from other schools, too, and some who remain seem to have regressed lately -- although given that Texas and OU are bolting, that's probably to be expected.

General level-of-discourse complaints, I guess. Same stuff that's driven me almost completely off of social media in general. Haven't posted here for maybe 4-5 years and now can't even find my password, so I assume my username has been retired.

I get the desire for no-holds-barred discussion, but there's a difference between strong-willed, well-considered assertions and childish name-calling. One thing HornFans got right, IMO, was the attempt to limit that stuff. Even there the mods played favorites and had their own biases -- basic human nature. Not sure that culture can be changed here without a great deal of effort, and I'm not even sure it would be all that helpful.

Did the HF approach contribute to some watering down of discussion? Maybe. I still think folks can be passionate but civilized, and this board still probably does a good enough job with passion and knowledge that I'll keep lurking. But I'm too far away to attend games and, like many, have found the squeezed-against-your neighbor, overbearing loudness at some stadiums to make modern TVs and my own fridge full of craft beer seem a superior experience. So I may never attend a Surly tailgate, and fine by me if I don't have to meet a couple of the well-established folks on here.

Unlike the lurker above me, I don't see too much of the creep from CR to other boards, and generally the mods seem to have kept that under control. Occasionally they seem pointlessly heavy-handed with tangents of other sorts, and if they can do that, they could certainly exert a little more control over name-calling and pointless hostility.

But getting rid of the constant pop-ups on my phone that take multiple efforts to close, as well as the malware stuff, would be a major step in getting me to visit more than I have over the past weeks. I've made a point of purchasing old-guy pain relief from the Rogue Shoppe, and even visiting their location, so I'm sorry to see those folks go. I like that approach.

I don't understand NIL compliance, but just like you guys mentioned you got a bunch of NIL donations from the Bama tailgate experience, can you guys add a "$" donation button upper left or right where we could click to do one-time (or anytime) donations of any $ amount to NIL if we're feeling good about a recent Longhorn win or reading good content.  Donating in that manner seems more rewarding to me than being coerced to donate so that I don't get beat down with ads.  The ads are such a beating but this is still the best Longhorn site.

On 6/28/2023 at 10:46 PM, BigHornedLurker said:

"strange" take. he's literally one of the best TE we've had in 20 years, but yes he should have been a DE. 

So you're telling me he's going to Oregon 

On 6/28/2023 at 11:16 PM, Hank_Hill said:

I’d argue him being great at TE is less important to last years team than if he’d been great at DE. But who cares he’s awesome.

On 9/18/2023 at 8:23 PM, WBT said:

Good job Chas turning the lineup over

8 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

I’d enjoy seeing Tucker tie Bell for most Astro single season RF RBIs in the bottom of the ninth and keep us in first 

This makes me happy. I tried to multiquote like 5 months ago on mobile and it wouldn’t actually go through and multiquote because of how ads were loading up. Now I got rid of those that had been driving me half crazy, Thanks! 

Like the idea of the sponsors at tailgates, that seems like a no brainer. 

Maybe sponsorships of away game watch parties too?  I’d be happy to sign up for, say Michigan next year if you are going/we are having one like that. 

this community kicks ass in a lot of ways and really appreciative as I mention all the time for the work you have put into it. I know it’s not your full time gig and I know how much effort it is. Truly awesome service you provide. 

finally- dunking booth for Helo outside a tailgate or MMP. That would be a big revenue raiser. 

Guest Mr. Lurker

It has been amazing to see how this community over a decade has gone from a diverse collection of opinions and rowdy debate to an extreme leftist pit of rabid foaming at the mouth cultists.  As such, I'd recommend you get funding from the CCP or NK to pay for your tailgate parties.  I think they'd pony up the cash to support all the great anti-American work this board does.

Full transparency/ disclosure- when I read Surly on my laptop with AdBlockPlus popupblocker, I wasn't seeing the ads.  When I would view it on the road on Ipad or phone, I'd be like, "Holy shit, that's a fuckton of ads."

The ads don't piss me off like they would on another site because I know the intent as well as the genuine mindset of the folks who run the site.  It's a mom&pop, if you will, whereas if it was NFL.com or corporate college site, it would make me avoid clicking there, and that absolutely happens in some other sports sites.  See also:  auto play bullshit when I am catching up on sports headlines first rattle out of the box on a morning before wife is awake and shit starts blasting.  It is a true piss-off factor.

I appreciate that y'all have asked multiple times what would make it a better experience for your readers.  Y'all truly have taken those considerations in building the site's structure.  It continues to be a positive, in my book, for an already great community.  Thank you!

I do have one question related to contributing to the site-  is there a venue to contribute solely to the functioning to the site, where nothing goes towards UT athletics or NIL?  Maybe it already exists and I have misunderstood.  Before someone lectures me on "Why the fuck do you think this site is even here, " I'd posit that an element of the community's greatness that sets it apart form others, is the positive interaction and open discussions with fans from opposing schools.  Again, maybe this already exists, but I thought both the tree-fiddy and Burnt Ends programs had UT implications, and I am 0% debating that process-  just asking if I am reading it right.

Thank you.

51 minutes ago, slorch said:

Full transparency/ disclosure- when I read Surly on my laptop with AdBlockPlus popupblocker, I wasn't seeing the ads.  When I would view it on the road on Ipad or phone, I'd be like, "Holy shit, that's a fuckton of ads."

The ads don't piss me off like they would on another site because I know the intent as well as the genuine mindset of the folks who run the site.  It's a mom&pop, if you will, whereas if it was NFL.com or corporate college site, it would make me avoid clicking there, and that absolutely happens in some other sports sites.  See also:  auto play bullshit when I am catching up on sports headlines first rattle out of the box on a morning before wife is awake and shit starts blasting.  It is a true piss-off factor.

I appreciate that y'all have asked multiple times what would make it a better experience for your readers.  Y'all truly have taken those considerations in building the site's structure.  It continues to be a positive, in my book, for an already great community.  Thank you!

I do have one question related to contributing to the site-  is there a venue to contribute solely to the functioning to the site, where nothing goes towards UT athletics or NIL?  Maybe it already exists and I have misunderstood.  Before someone lectures me on "Why the fuck do you think this site is even here, " I'd posit that an element of the community's greatness that sets it apart form others, is the positive interaction and open discussions with fans from opposing schools.  Again, maybe this already exists, but I thought both the tree-fiddy and Burnt Ends programs had UT implications, and I am 0% debating that process-  just asking if I am reading it right.

Thank you.

Treefiddy essentially pays to keep the lights on. Burnt ends goes to NIL and the other revenue sources go to NIL or additional community activities. 

• Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, slorch said:

Thank you.

I'm pretty sure Tree Fiddy is only for maintaining the site while Burnt Ends is for NIL.

8 hours ago, 7KHorn said:

I don't understand NIL compliance, but just like you guys mentioned you got a bunch of NIL donations from the Bama tailgate experience, can you guys add a "$" donation button upper left or right where we could click to do one-time (or anytime) donations of any $ amount to NIL if we're feeling good about a recent Longhorn win or reading good content.  Donating in that manner seems more rewarding to me than being coerced to donate so that I don't get beat down with ads.  The ads are such a beating but this is still the best Longhorn site.

You can do a one time/ad hoc NIL donation through Texas One

9 hours ago, Guest lurker feedback said:

Agreed. I started posting on the old 360 board and have migrated through every major board since, including that Barking Carnival board, if I remember correctly its affiliation, from the early to mid-2000s.  Those ads are limiting my willingness to lurk. 

But the experiences that finally drove me off from posting were some of the general boorishness and pomposity from many posters, including some of the more established and influential ones (including mods) who are still around on Surly and were on both HornFans and Shaggy.  It's not that I couldn't, or didn't, develop a thick skin; I attend a weekly happy hour where we call each other assholes frequently, but almost always in fun and never in a way that lasts.

It's that the worst of posters and occasionally even mods inspired others to pile on and dragged down the level of discussion. The whole "reputation" process may have also helped drive that a bit. There seem to be fewer of the good posters from other schools, too, and some who remain seem to have regressed lately -- although given that Texas and OU are bolting, that's probably to be expected.

General level-of-discourse complaints, I guess. Same stuff that's driven me almost completely off of social media in general. Haven't posted here for maybe 4-5 years and now can't even find my password, so I assume my username has been retired.

I get the desire for no-holds-barred discussion, but there's a difference between strong-willed, well-considered assertions and childish name-calling. One thing HornFans got right, IMO, was the attempt to limit that stuff. Even there the mods played favorites and had their own biases -- basic human nature. Not sure that culture can be changed here without a great deal of effort, and I'm not even sure it would be all that helpful.

Did the HF approach contribute to some watering down of discussion? Maybe. I still think folks can be passionate but civilized, and this board still probably does a good enough job with passion and knowledge that I'll keep lurking. But I'm too far away to attend games and, like many, have found the squeezed-against-your neighbor, overbearing loudness at some stadiums to make modern TVs and my own fridge full of craft beer seem a superior experience. So I may never attend a Surly tailgate, and fine by me if I don't have to meet a couple of the well-established folks on here.

I agree, but for slightly different reasons. Surly used to be hilarious when it was rooted in Texas football and dick cartoons. It was mostly funny and occasionally douchy. Now it's mostly douchy and occasionally funny. Half the posts are some form of "[fill in user or board] is stooopid!" It's not about being thin skinned or wanting well-considered assertions. That shit is boring. Why would I want to go to the 9.95 board to read a bunch of douchebags complaining that the football board is dumb? If you don't like the football board, don't go there. Also, too, SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT IT. The same thing happens with Futureman. It's become a douchebag rite of passage to talk shit about him. Futureman's bit isn't really my thing, but he's better than half the posters on Surly he doesn't parrot the same fucking thing over and over. If you're going to rip on someone, at least be original about it.

You want more engagement? Ratchet down the douchiness.

P.s. Even when I'm not logged in, I have an ad blocker so I never see ads.

• Hook 'Em 1

One of the best things about the site is it’s self regulating.  Crowdsourcing the determined fuckwits is great.  

Maybe more timeouts need to be given to keep threads on track.

I love it here and am happy to contribute to its upkeep 

Looking forward to the Ann Arbor event, a short drive from STL.

2 hours ago, Guest Mr. Lurker said:

As such, I'd recommend you get funding from the CCP or NK to pay for your tailgate parties.  I think they'd pony up the cash to support all the great anti-American work this board does.

ussr GIF

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thank you for removing the ads. I was only getting them in CR and they were absolutely terrible. If it was like this for everyone on all the forums, then removing the ads will significantly increase overall traffic and time spent online per user.

I would not implement any other major changes sitewide until you have enough time to analyze the traffic data pre vs post ad removal. The traffic you will have from this point on will be a more accurate baseline representation of user data to make decisions for the future.

I was also thinking about a way to monetize those specifically signing up to shitpost here and get banned. The more we win combined with the SEC move makes it inevitable that Texas haters will flood in here to try to hijack the football board. To make a buck off this, you should make all new signup users watch a 30 second video to complete the signup process. This video could be sponsored on a rotating basis or it could be self produced and the views monetized per sign up. I see it as a message board equivalent of people buying UT shit and hanging it upside down without realizing they are putting money in our pockets by buying our merchandise.

Another way to monetize traffic on the site could be by having non-user lurkers (and possibly non-paying members) watch a small ad after a certain number of minutes to continue viewing the forums. I know this is a major pain in the ass but I see it similar to my wife’s Candy Crush addiction. She fucking hates ads but will sit there all day watching little 15-30 second videos in order to get more free lives in the game because she refuses to pay. Since the forums are free, they are what drive eyeballs to site. If people want to lurk and see the content but not pay for anything here, they should have to sit through the short videos every so often in exchange for the free content. 

These videos would not be traditional ads, but rather Surly produced (maybe sponsored) videos hosted from a Surly YouTube channel. The videos would highlight the latest news about tailgates, NIL, player interviews, etc. Each 30 second view from lurkers and non-paying users to continue using the site for free would also count as a view on YouTube. Profit from the views without having to sell outside ads.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Thank you for removing the ads. I was only getting them in CR and they were absolutely terrible. If it was like this for everyone on all the forums, then removing the ads will significantly increase overall traffic and time spent online per user.

I would not implement any other major changes sitewide until you have enough time to analyze the traffic data pre vs post ad removal. The traffic you will have from this point on will be a more accurate baseline representation of user data to make decisions for the future.

I was also thinking about a way to monetize those specifically signing up to shitpost here and get banned. The more we win combined with the SEC move makes it inevitable that Texas haters will flood in here to try to hijack the football board. To make a buck off this, you should make all new signup users watch a 30 second video to complete the signup process. This video could be sponsored on a rotating basis or it could be self produced and the views monetized per sign up. I see it as a message board equivalent of people buying UT shit and hanging it upside down without realizing they are putting money in our pockets by buying our merchandise.

Another way to monetize traffic on the site could be by having non-user lurkers (and possibly non-paying members) watch a small ad after a certain number of minutes to continue viewing the forums. I know this is a major pain in the ass but I see it similar to my wife’s Candy Crush addiction. She fucking hates ads but will sit there all day watching little 15-30 second videos in order to get more free lives in the game because she refuses to pay. Since the forums are free, they are what drive eyeballs to site. If people want to lurk and see the content but not pay for anything here, they should have to sit through the short videos every so often in exchange for the free content. 

These videos would not be traditional ads, but rather Surly produced (maybe sponsored) videos hosted from a Surly YouTube channel. The videos would highlight the latest news about tailgates, NIL, player interviews, etc. Each 30 second view from lurkers and non-paying users to continue using the site for free would also count as a view on YouTube. Profit from the views without having to sell outside ads.

This is really good stuff. I’m already looking at parts of this but the way you are thinking of mixing it in makes a lot of sense. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Guest Mr. Lurker said:

It has been amazing to see how this community over a decade has gone from a diverse collection of opinions and rowdy debate to an extreme leftist pit of rabid foaming at the mouth cultists.  As such, I'd recommend you get funding from the CCP or NK to pay for your tailgate parties.  I think they'd pony up the cash to support all the great anti-American work this board does.

Fuck this guy.

Lenin GIF by Zu

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not sure what the overall revenue target would be, but maybe a bunch of small pieces could add up in the big picture.

For example, maybe $100/mo for specific thread "sponsorship" or something like that. "Cheese Enchiladas" thread, brought too you by Enchiladas y Mas (or have banner at top and bottom of every page, maybe one between the 25th/26th post on each page. Or Snake River for the Brisket thread.

Of course those aren't specifically sports related threads, don't have the super traffic like something big on the FB board, but could still be a mutually beneficial relationship.

IMO, the biggest thing to really avoid would be things that overtake the user experience. Pop-up/slide out stuff, auto-play vids, etc. If they're more blended and give a more organic look, that would seem to be the better option. And also better if not using the typical ad JS files, which most blockers thwart. The same concepts could be used, but something locally written and targeted, and not one of the big auto-ad type deals.

Host/load our own images, maybe with js and some internal tracking to provide impression information.

Guest its1:32PMandOUsucks

Lurker from the great beyond here.. I like to see what all the regulars have to say about the day's events, restaurants, random happenings in austin, nicole's latest victim, etc. I didn't really mind the ads, for the most part.. but the ones that gave my browser the aids (you have a virus, or somesuch where it would completely redirect to a different domain) just about got me to the point where i was wondering what YGIFS, porterhouse, et al.. or even the latest permutation of donkeycigar (gasp!) had to say about things much less often.

On that note, Surly and TOS is/were a relaxing way to waste some time before going to sleep, and the most compelling thing about them is/was the variety of opinions and the way that users paint a picture of themselves over time. Which gets us to the noted topic of all of the trumpkins being run off. Yea, IMO, they suck, but how in the heck am I supposed to read what they think when they are constantly run off? I already lead an insular life where I barely know anyone who thinks that way (My FIL does, but he cannot explain his thought process). Similarly, take posters like the donkeycigar permutations. Its hard to think of another regular who can vouch for the tech consultancies when captainant inevitably has a negative opinion about one of them. Yet, they are a feature of the economy. So without the donkeycigar of the day to defend them, the picture becomes skewed from the actual world we live in.

TLDR: I guess this is a long winded way of saying that maybe there have been a few too many bannings, but the monetization wasn't the end of the world. Please don't give my browser the aids, tho.

Site seems very stable without ads. Thanks for shutting them down. They were a beating.

I’m ok with most ads on most sites but the ones that were on surly were out of wack.  If you could fix those ads and make them normal - not fucking up my phone, covering text on my PC, or taking me to some weird random website - I’d be more than good with it. Maybe that would cost a lot of money to fix.

Guest Mr. Lurker
1 hour ago, Soliver465 said:

One of the best things about the site is it’s self regulating.  Crowdsourcing the determined fuckwits is great.  

Maybe more timeouts need to be given to keep threads on track.

I love it here and am happy to contribute to its upkeep 

Looking forward to the Ann Arbor event, a short drive from STL.

This is the worst part of the board.  A bunch of insecure whiny douches who can't defend their positions and who must (as has become the norm on the extremist left that this board consists almost entirely of) keep others from being able to voice views they do not approve of.  When I read this board I do so because I don't have a time machine where I can witness the Salem Witch Trials or the Cultural Revolution.

40 minutes ago, Guest Mr. Lurker said:

This is the worst part of the board.  A bunch of insecure whiny douches who can't defend their positions and who must (as has become the norm on the extremist left that this board consists almost entirely of) keep others from being able to voice views they do not approve of.  When I read this board I do so because I don't have a time machine where I can witness the Salem Witch Trials or the Cultural Revolution.

How y’all doing, TTom?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I remember when HEB, and probably other businesses, used to have coupons in the Sunday paper. Maybe they still do. With all the talent that Surly r boasts, there’s likely to be a silver tongue able to craft an offer no right minded business can refuse: pay imma for a board dedicated  to the, soon to be sop, digital Surly BOGO.

Edited by Willfully Horn

Guest Mr. Lurker
3 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

How y’all doing, TTom?

It's always funny when the rabid mob equates any non-approved opinion with their latest obsession.  All who disagree are the same multi-faced individual in the mind of the cultist.

• immamac unpinned and unfeatured this topic
On 9/23/2023 at 10:39 PM, Guest Mr. Lurker said:

It's always funny when the rabid mob equates any non-approved opinion with their latest obsession.  All who disagree are the same multi-faced individual in the mind of the cultist.

"Rabid mob." "Cultist." Really?

I don't blame Surly or the people here for the change in tone of political discourse.

It's universal.

It started when political disagreement stopped being about differences of opinion, and started being about one side embracing lies because there was no longer any factual basis for their beliefs and, as they said, "fuck your feelings."

It's no longer possible to debate openly and honestly because one side is trying like hell to hide the truth, so they can't be open about it, and they can't be honest about it, because they are lying.

There are ways of telling what is true and what is not. But if you refuse to accept the truth, then that's not me being intolerant. It is you, no longer merely falling for the con, but perpetrating it, actively participating in it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Rimbo said:

I don't blame Surly or the people here for the change in tone of political discourse.

"I will not apologize for my tone tonight!"

~~~

There are a number of (former) members who have figuratively stepped on their dicks while participating in the CR.  They are reaping what they have sewn.  This is true.

There are a number of members here who ... react unreasonably ... to attempts at honest discourse in the CR.  It is beyond difficult and not worth the effort in most cases to attempt discussion with a large body of the community there any more.  This is also true (IMO). 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/22/2023 at 6:10 PM, burntorangebongos said:

Is porterhouse your fuck buddy, futureman? Why you like TCU cockroaches,huh?  

TCU cockroach?  I vaguely recall this accusation before. You’re a weird dude. 

26 minutes ago, bernorange said:

Yes.  It's true within the framework of my experience.  YMMV.

And I would disagree. I don't see attempts at honest discourse. What I've seen is single issue voters, typically guns, asked to defend their stance vis a vis the greater good of society. The typical response boils down to "fuck your feelings" and I don't consider that honest discourse. It's all team sports now. Just like you avoid the CR, I typically only lurk the Football board because if you go against the group think there you get shot down.

Just now, royiv said:

And I would disagree. I don't see attempts at honest discourse. What I've seen is single issue voters, typically guns, asked to defend their stance vis a vis the greater good of society. The typical response boils down to "fuck your feelings" and I don't consider that honest discourse. It's all team sports now. Just like you avoid the CR, I typically only lurk the Football board because if you go against the group think there you get shot down.

Look, there is a thread for this and it's not why people have stopped engaging. All of the Legacy Members and subs being like "what ads lololol" and the people who saw ads being like "omfg site was literally unusable" was the problem and the analytics already reflect that with removal of the ads. Our engagement has shot up 350% since I took them off and new users who return skyrocketed 3000%. I get that you want to believe that because your feelings got hurt or that there is less discussion in the DT or CR that it seems like the site traffic is falling off. That's less than 20% of the site traffic especially during season. This is a sports message board mostly centered around Football and Recruiting. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, immamac said:

Look, there is a thread for this and it's not why people have stopped engaging. All of the Legacy Members and subs being like "what ads lololol" and the people who saw ads being like "omfg site was literally unusable" was the problem and the analytics already reflect that with removal of the ads. Our engagement has shot up 350% since I took them off and new users who return skyrocketed 3000%. I get that you want to believe that because your feelings got hurt or that there is less discussion in the DT or CR that it seems like the site traffic is falling off. That's less than 20% of the site traffic especially during season. This is a sports message board mostly centered around Football and Recruiting. 

That's awesome. I think getting rid of the ads was a great decision.

I said nothing about about my feelings or the traffic in DT or CR. I haven't noticed a lack of engagement on those boards. I'm not sure why you chose to respond to my post in particular when the same sentiment has been expressed in this thread. You tend to get really defensive about the most trivial things.

• Like 1

Just now, royiv said:

That's awesome. I think getting rid of the ads was a great decision.

I said nothing about about my feelings or the traffic in DT or CR. I haven't noticed a lack of engagement on those boards. I'm not sure why you chose to respond to my post in particular when the same sentiment has been expressed in this thread. You tend to get really defensive about the most trivial things.

it's just this isn't the thread for a CR/DT bitchfest. and I'm a bit ornery about it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/23/2023 at 11:08 AM, MrBig said:

This is an awesome idea to somewhat constrain trolls and bad actors, and at the very least make some money off the frequent fliers

On 9/23/2023 at 1:33 PM, Guest its1:32PMandOUsucks said:

On that note, Surly and TOS is/were a relaxing way to waste some time before going to sleep, and the most compelling thing about them is/was the variety of opinions and the way that users paint a picture of themselves over time. Which gets us to the noted topic of all of the trumpkins being run off. Yea, IMO, they suck, but how in the heck am I supposed to read what they think when they are constantly run off? I already lead an insular life where I barely know anyone who thinks that way (My FIL does, but he cannot explain his thought process). Similarly, take posters like the donkeycigar permutations. Its hard to think of another regular who can vouch for the tech consultancies when captainant inevitably has a negative opinion about one of them. Yet, they are a feature of the economy. So without the donkeycigar of the day to defend them, the picture becomes skewed from the actual world we live in.

Lulz, they aren't getting ran off solely because they have a different opinion - it's because they are bringing "people are saying" arguments to real fact-based threads and discussions. Chrispy gets bonked so frequently because he keeps making the same fallacious arguments and people are just over his shit.

Also @immamac pretty sure this thread just found an invision board bug, when I quoted the above "guest" post it shows the actual poster name in reply box nvm

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.7e775797bfd4505215f2c6a49e0f7409.png

Edited by Captainant

Just now, immamac said:

it's just this isn't the thread for a CR/DT bitchfest. and I'm a bit ornery about it. 

Dude, I'm not the one who went down that path. I suggest you go reread this thread. Forgive me for engaging in a discussion that was started way earlier in the thread. Life is too short to be ornery on a Monday morning. 

1 minute ago, royiv said:

And I would disagree. I don't see ...

Person 1:  Most of the employees at Widget Emporium have been discriminatory towards me on numerous occasions.  Widget Emporium has a business culture of discrimination.

Person 2:  Employees at Widget Emporium have never been discriminatory towards me.  Your statement isn't true.

1 minute ago, royiv said:

... Just like you avoid the CR, ...

I don't avoid it.  I post there when there is a topic or discussion that interests me enough.

~~~

@Imma - I appreciate the impact of the ads (and ad removal) on the site's engagement.  I don't believe that is the full story with the state of discourse in the CR right now though.

Just now, royiv said:

Dude, I'm not the one who went down that path. I suggest you go reread this thread. Forgive me for engaging in a discussion that was started way earlier in the thread. Life is too short to be ornery on a Monday morning. 

You were literally the last one to post about it. The guy is irritated and caught you bitching about it. He basically was apologizing for being ornery. Let it fucking go. 

1 minute ago, Porterhouse said:

You were literally the last one to post about it. The guy is irritated and caught you bitching about it. He basically was apologizing for being ornery. Let it fucking go. 

Funny, I didn't see an apology, but whatever. I don't give a shit. If I let the internet get me riled up, my cardiologist would be a much busier man.

7 hours ago, bernorange said:

"I will not apologize for my tone tonight!"

~~~

There are a number of (former) members who have figuratively stepped on their dicks while participating in the CR.  They are reaping what they have sewn.  This is true.

There are a number of members here who ... react unreasonably ... to attempts at honest discourse in the CR.  It is beyond difficult and not worth the effort in most cases to attempt discussion with a large body of the community there any more.  This is also true (IMO). 

I agree. And honestly, I might very well be one of those people. Though I draw the line at demonizing those I disagree with; there's definitely others who don't.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, royiv said:

It's like speeding... the cops give the ticket to the last guy in line, not to all the people who are doing it. Heh.