Iowa - Glorying In the Nepotism of the Ferentz Family

closetojumping

We're hosting Thanksgiving dinner the day of the Big 10 championship game.  My mom is an Iowa alum.  We're planning on eating mid-afternoon so she can be home long before kick off.

She's passing it off as wanting to be settled in for the game, but at the end of the day I know it's because she doesn't want to be in the same room as my brother (ISU alum) and I during that snuff film.

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

Who has Thanksgiving in December?  Is this a farmer thing?

No.

My parents are divorced and we usually go to Thanksgiving Day at my dad’s and Xmas or Xmas Eve at my mom’s. Gotta throw my in laws into the mix too.

We have a lot of gatherings to observe a holiday not on the actual day itself. This is very common here and I figured it was pretty universal to do this
  • Hook 'Em 2

6-0 in the Bottom of the third. What riveting stuff.

BUT, and brace yourself for this, they have thrown the ball 23 times and 13 of those have been caught by guys in Hawkeye jersey so far. They may hit that magical 300 yard barrier of total offense before this one is done. 

Edited by UpperWestside

On 11/6/2023 at 5:50 PM, kevwun said:

Yeah, my family does that too.  We have 2 Thanksgivings every year and multiple Christmas gatherings.

Some of y’all need to migrate over to the family shitshow thread (or whatever it’s called) on the LOL board around Thanksgiving and Christmas; Al is a top contributor…

3 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

A real man does 2 Thanksgivings on Thanksgiving Day.

I think my record is 4x Thanksgiving dinners in one day.  It was awesome.

I’ve done two before, but our folks absolutely hate hosting the same day as one of the others, as we’re constantly watching the clock to be on time for the next one, so instead of double booking we just do days that aren’t the actual holiday.

Keeps the stress lower for sure.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think that the 1 loss Michigan or Ohio State team still goes.

If the winner of Michigan-Ohio State can’t beat a guy with an offense that Knute Rockne would think is ancient they do not deserve a spot. I will say that watching an Iowa game is entertaining. So many LOL moments watching Deacon Hill cosplay being a QB. 

4 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

If the winner of Michigan-Ohio State can’t beat a guy with an offense that Knute Rockne would think is ancient they do not deserve a spot. I will say that watching an Iowa game is entertaining. So many LOL moments watching Deacon Hill cosplay being a QB. 

Agreed, but

FzHiFRiaAAEvCQl.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think that the 1 loss Michigan or Ohio State team still goes.

Unless all hell breaks loose in the next 2 weeks, it seems highly unlikely that a 1-loss team that did not win their conference will really even be considered. There will likely be at least 4 conference champs with 1 or 0 losses. Michigan won't get any benefits of the doubt and Ohio State wouldn't have much of an argument after letting fucking Iowa win it.

We haven't had a big upset weekend all year, so maybe the next two weeks will give us mayhem. It would be the chalkiest CFB season in history if we don't get any. 

Yeah, I guess when you pan the landscape, you can't/shouldn't leave out the Pac champ, undefeated Georgia, undefeated FSU, and 1 loss Texas with a Big 12 title.

The thing I don't trust is if the Pac has a 1 loss champ (fairly plausible), that champ is a considerably lower brand than OSU or Michigan, and my trust in the committee to do the right thing in the face of bringing in a bigger brand is nil.  It's probably irrational, but I expect them to do anything possible to put the biggest brand possible into that spot.

9 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yeah, I guess when you pan the landscape, you can't/shouldn't leave out the Pac champ, undefeated Georgia, undefeated FSU, and 1 loss Texas with a Big 12 title.

The thing I don't trust is if the Pac has a 1 loss champ (fairly plausible), that champ is a considerably lower brand than OSU or Michigan, and my trust in the committee to do the right thing in the face of bringing in a bigger brand is nil.  It's probably irrational, but I expect them to do anything possible to put the biggest brand possible into that spot.

Well, the lack of trust is merited, given that they did exactly what you're talking about to TCU in 2014. That considered, while Michigan and OSU are 2 of the top 5 or 6 brands in CFB, UW and Oregon certainly aren't TCU in terms of brand value. If Michigan is the 1 loss non-conference winner, I don't really see how there'd be any support for them getting a nod over a conference winner with 1 loss. Ohio State over UW or Oregon, maybe. I don't see 12-1 Texas or 12-1 Alabama getting screwed by a one loss non-title winner, given that they're top 5-6 brands too. 

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Well, the lack of trust is merited, given that they did exactly what you're talking about to TCU in 2014. That considered, while Michigan and OSU are 2 of the top 5 or 6 brands in CFB, UW and Oregon certainly aren't TCU in terms of brand value. If Michigan is the 1 loss non-conference winner, I don't really see how there'd be any support for them getting a nod over a conference winner with 1 loss. Ohio State over UW or Oregon, maybe. I don't see 12-1 Texas or 12-1 Alabama getting screwed by a one loss non-title winner, given that they're top 5-6 brands too. 

Yeah, UT and Bama are fine if they win their leagues.  It's the Pac I could see getting shafted.  Those schools are bigger brands than TCU, but they might not be big enough here.  Given that this appears to be the committee's last season to play kingmaker with 0 objective requirements, I could see them going out in style.

On 11/18/2023 at 6:00 PM, Neonmoon said:

Bert looks like he got fatter 

Some buddies and I were talking about this in a group chat.  I realize that orange isn't flattering, but he's pushing Mangino territory.