Week 6, 2023: Red River shootout.

Wulaw Horn

10 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Nahlin is reporting that Kevin Mar and crew will not be working the Texas-OU game this weekend.

My guess is that the powers that be passed that on to Burton, so I feel really good that this could be true. Now I'm wondering if someone got involved and helped make something happen. That's the story I would like to believe, so I am going with it. Strong work.

https://sasafootball.com/speaker/kevin-mar/

10 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Nahlin is reporting that Kevin Mar and crew will not be working the Texas-OU game this weekend.

My guess is that the powers that be passed that on to Burton, so I feel really good that this could be true. Now I'm wondering if someone got involved and helped make something happen. That's the story I would like to believe, so I am going with it. Strong work.

this should move the line by 3 points minimum

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

We are going to kill them on both lines of the scrimmage. I think Gabriel gets knocked out of the game before half, because he can hold the ball and is not elusive at all. For all the bullshit about OU improving, they were 3-0 last year against a shitty OOC schedule, with a combined score of 127-30. When they played the two teams that would play in the conference championship game, they lost both by a cumulative score of 96-58. Depending on how badly we beat them, they will drop 1 or 2 more conference games and not make the rematch.

This is some pretty strong wishcasting.... Their schedule is absolute dog shyte they duck EMAW on the way out the door and they get roach at home. I just don't see any way they don't run the table regardless of Saturdays outcome.

10 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

There were at least a couple of deep balls KU threw last week where the WR had 5 yards of separation from our DB but Bean couldn’t connect. We gotta clean that up before Saturday because Gabriels deep ball is a lot more accurate than Bean’s

you know what? take the PI

there ain't no deep balls to connect on from the 30

7 hours ago, UTkicker said:

Does anyone know why Texas fans always sit on the same side of the stadium every year? Unless I'm wrong ou fans seem to always get the team entrance side and get to spit on Texas, but we don't get that same opportunity.

Because the south end is for trash. 

The home team can select the south end if it wants to but Texas doesn’t want to. 

3 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Just got you to 1k  funny says apple/google pay but I did it through that link processor  

IMG_3862.thumb.jpeg.0ce981c6e888529663a272679d92707b.jpeg

Link is stripe and is part of their quick checkout. Most people use the other 2 options and don't know link. This is badass thanks for showing the appreciation with your wallet :)

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

A few team notes from OB

Hide contents

(Anwar)

* I reported on Thursday morning that Texas tight end Ja’Tavion Sanders was participating in practice this week, which meant there was optimism he would play this weekend. A few hours later, Texas football coach Steve Sarkisian said Sanders was cleared to play against Oklahoma after sustaining a foot injury during a win against Kansas. I was told Sanders may not be at 100 percent, but people inside the building believe he can help the Longhorns against Oklahoma on Saturday.

* The same people are not as optimistic about cornerback Ryan Watts playing this week. As of Thursday, everyone inside the building had their fingers crossed, but he is definitely a game-time decision.

(Note from Ketchum: I had a source on Thursday also give a pessimistic view of Watts playing this week as well.)

* Texas football coach Steve Sarkisian and his staff spent the week stressing to their players to be ready to weather the storm on Saturday. I was told the staff told the Longhorns to expect the unexpected. They have prepared their team for several potential scenarios. I cannot share the game plan but know Sarkisian and his staff are ready for different looks on offense and defense.

* Overall, they have emphasized remaining calm in case Oklahoma catches them off-guard. They have told players to weather the storm, do not panic, trust each other, and know in-game adjustments will be made if necessary.

* Multiple people inside the building believe Saturday could be a huge day for this defensive line. They are cautiously optimistic.

* A lot of people have asked if Johntay Cook II should receive more playing time. I was told the staff believes Jordan Whittington is reliable, a blocking asset, and a special teams contributor. Plus, Whittington is a senior leader on Sarkisian’s team. One source told me, “There’s no need for Sarkisian to make a change. Think about it … who will Johntay compete against next year? Xavier will be gone. Adonai might leave. He’s the only freshman receiver getting real playing time. Johntay gets to learn without any pressure this year and he’s the man next year. What’s the problem?”

* I chatted with an NFL source this week, and he shared an interesting nugget.

There is at least one NFL general manager who believes Jonathon Brooks is the nation’s best running back. Quite honestly, I was not prepared to hear that this week. That person believes Brooks should enter the NFL draft after this season (his opinion, not mine) because the league covets running backs without a lot of miles. Brooks redshirted after his freshman season and this is his third year at Texas. More importantly, Brooks is excelling during his first season as a starter. Just file that nugget away for future use.

(Alex)

* I was texting with an NFL source with very good knowledge of Texas NFL draft prospects on Thursday, and told him that we are hearing rumors that the Texas staff seems to be starting to think that a big NIL deal will be in order to keep junior nose tackle Byron Murphy on campus after his outstanding start to 2023. His response: "They better be, but I'm not sure it's gonna happen. He's going to be a Top 75 pick (in the 2024 NFL Draft)."

* I asked the same source about fellow DL T'Vondre Sweat, who's having as big -- or what is at least perceived as -- possibly an even bigger breakout 2023 campaign at Texas. Surprisingly, I was told that as of now the NFL is higher on Murphy than Sweat, "but Sweat won't go any later than Round 4, with room to move up from there."

(Ketch)

A few notes to get us started....

* I spoke with an OU insider on Thursday and per a conversation he had with an OU coach earlier in the week, there is an awareness to the pause that the 3-3-5 Flyover look has given the Longhorns since Steve Sarkisian arrived and that it's part of what OU will have planned for Saturday. "It's not what Venables really does a lot of the time and I have the sense that they don't want to go too far away from what they feel like they do best, but (the OU staff) knows that this might be a kitchen sink kind of game and I think you'll see them try to throw curve balls at Texas in every drive in the first half. It'll likely be something they throw at Texas, for sure."

* There's a general sense from the OU side that OU has been concealing its playbook on both sides of the ball all season coming into this game. It remains to be seen how true that is, but folks close to the program believe it.

* The same OU insider told me this week that if Dillon Gabriel has a weakness that can be exploited this week, it might come in being able to disguise pre-snap what Texas is doing from a coverage standpoint. "His eyes sometimes lie to him," the source said. 'That's when he gets into trouble."

* OU has a lot of faith in its tackles winning their battles against Barryn Sorrell and the rest of the Texas ends/edge players. (Walter) Rouse has been very good this season. I think he'll show up big on Saturday, but if he struggles, that's a bad sign across the board because if he isn't very good against this Texas front four, I'm not sure who will be. It starts with him."

* Finally, if there's a match-up to really zero in on, watch OU fifth-year senior right guard McKade Mettauer against everyone that lines up across from him on Saturday. "The best thing I can say about him is that his pass blocking is probably better than his run blocking. We need an upgrade there next season, but he's what we have right now. The problem is that his pass blocking is only ok."

A couple points.

a. I highly doubt Sark used the “weather the storm” verbiage, but maybe I’m wrong.

b. If anyone in their interior OL is struggling, they’re fucked. Sweat and Murphy are going to throw them like fucking rag dolls.

c. OU might be concealing their playbook, but they’ve played NO ONE, while Texas is battle tested.

I’m still nervous because I’m nervous for every Texas OU matchup, but I’m leaning more and more toward Texas winning going away (not 49-0, mind you).

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, thepop said:

Idk why y’all are happy about Kevin Mar’s crew not doing this game. I’d rather this one where he would fuck over both teams than @TCU or something.

We have consistently been fucked by the Big12 in favor of OU. Why would this game be different?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, lilMAC25 said:

I’m still nervous because I’m nervous for every Texas OU matchup, but I’m leaning more and more toward Texas winning going away (not 49-0, mind you).

Yep, the more I think about it, the more I think we're going to blow them out.  

I said 34-20 initially, with them getting a garbage time touchdown to make it look closer than it was.  But, I think this is conservative, and there's a good chance we smash the shit out of them again.  They are getting way too much credit for big scores against a bunch of nobodies.  They're still not very good on defense, and it will cost them multiple times from here on out.

• Hook 'Em 1

Running backs should go to the NFL asap. Unless they're Frank Gore, they only have a couple of productive enough years to where most NFL teams are willing to allocate real cap space to, and a few lucky/good ones get real money on their second contract. Most get used up and spit out during their rookie deals, and then are washed up journeymen making relatively small amounts compared to other positions at the same point in their careers  

So it makes sense to head to the NFL asap if you're good enough to get drafted high 

And they all know this, especially after the Saquon, Taylor, Ekeler, etc noise from this offseason  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

Running backs should go to the NFL asap. Unless they're Frank Gore, they only have a couple of productive enough years to where most NFL teams are willing to allocate real cap space to, and a few lucky/good ones get real money on their second contract. Most get used up and spit out during their rookie deals, and then are washed up journeymen making relatively small amounts compared to other positions at the same point in their careers  

So it makes sense to head to the NFL asap if you're good enough to get drafted high 

And they all know this, especially after the Saquon, Taylor, Ekeler, etc noise from this offseason  

If they are only going to get 1 contract and be washed up by the end of it, that is an argument to stay in school to maximize that first contract. 

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If they are only going to get 1 contract and be washed up by the end of it, that is an argument to stay in school to maximize that first contract. 

How would that be maximizing their first contract? Is your theory that the league will find senior RBs more valuable than junior RBs, and draft them considerably higher? 

They're better off increasing the odds of getting a good second contract, which means getting to the league as young and healthy as possible 

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I don't know enough about NFL contracts other than late rounds get shit for cash. 

I think for some on the edge UDFA types it probably does change the math and players like Whittington coming back is some evidence. 

Probably depends on the player and the offers. If someone's grading out as round 5 , but is a loved reliable RB with a good NIL offer it probably gives them a reason to consider a flyer on a potential trial breakout year 

I don't buy that RBs get used up / wore out.  It's a position where the difference between 2nd / 3rd and starter isn't usually big enough to justify paying out a second contract.

The way to have running success in the NFL right now is to keep defenses away from the box.  Generally, upgrading at WR will help the running game more than upgrading at RB.

9 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

This was brought up by AD DeLoss Dodds IIRC, and when it was discussed, the answer that was explained to him was that Mobilehoma would be only too happy to switch sides with us, because the side with the tunnel has less seats than the side without the tunnel.

Because that would reduce Texas' number of seats (and the rancor that would cause), Dodds didn't pursue anything more about it.

No, the seat quantities are even. The tunnel is why there's a small patch of crimson shitheads in the Texas end zone seats. 

• Hook 'Em 3

17 hours ago, Bolero88 said:

He had one good run against Rice, the rest of his attempts averaged 2 yards per. He just hasn't played great this year, and is light years away from Brooks as of now. 

18 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Baxter starting the season seemed like a recruiting promise being cashed in.  

guy he had 5 total carries vs Rice for 38 yards. i think you can calm down about the Rice game specifically, here were his runs (he started the game in case you forgot)

• +4
  • +1
  • +32 (at 9:53 in the 2nd quarter) - got hurt, rib injury

you think the Alabama game was also a recruiting promise cashed in? the script had him touching the ball on 3 of the first 4 plays. pass catch, pass to X then 2 runs. literally the first play of the game had a big shift and they threw an outside screen that was only ever intended for one dude

image.png.905fcf507e50e21d6fc671aba2abd9d6.png

he's absolutely fine for a true freshman. he hasn't played great in part to the rib injury he had vs rice and a foot injury vs alabama

when they needed a hammer to finish out the game vs Bama who did they turn to?

at the 11:08 mark in the 4th Q Baxter was in vs Alabama and had the only rushes on that drive that ended with the Adonai Mitchell 39 yard TD.

he then started the next drive (started at 7:14) and had the first rush of that drive before hurting his foot and then Brooks ran it 7 of the next 8 plays before they went into victory formation.

so to be clear: the offensive staff that is here has seen Brooks for multiple years, and have seen Baxter for the spring, summer and fall. with the game on the line vs Alabama, they turned to Baxter.

let's take a deep breath on the "light years away from Brooks" comment.

it's going to be ok. they have experience juggling 2 very good RBs and putting them in a position to be successful. it happened literally last year.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 8

25 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

In for $10. 

I doubt JB24 bothers to read the is antiquated mode of social media, but here goes anyways….

I gave for several reasons.

a. JB24 is indeed a bad motherfucker. It’s a joy to watch him run. He seems to give it his all on every play.

b. All the $ goes to him (good on Surly for setting that up).

c. I lost my father to cancer (fuck cancer) this Jan. I appreciate the way JB24 honors his father after every big play. 

Hook Em, JB24!

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, cmontexas said:

I've argued for years that if a player is good enough to make an NFL roster they should take the money. But i wonder if that calculus has changed in this particular scenario. He's not gonna be here playing for free. Caleb Williams claims he will make more $ as a senior at USC than as the #1 overall pick. He's probably full of shit.

But think about the earning power of a potentially Heisman finalist running back for the biggest brand in college sports. Compare that to a second round, 4 year NFL contract which is 99% likely to be the only multi year contract a running back is going to get. Big second contracts for running backs have gone the way of fullback. But that bag will still be there in 2025 and for Brooks, he should consider how to best maximize his potential value in the environment at hand.

Tl,DR it may be conceivable that in Jonathan Brooks specific case he could earn more for a season at Texas before signing a 4 (or 5) year contract than what he's going to get paid after signing said contract 

Bryce Young's contract has him making $6.9m next year. i have no clue how much Caleb Williams is making but that's a load of shit, just like him acting like he will stay in college another year, which adds another year to him getting to his second contract

Not Gonna Happen Justin Gaethje GIF by UFC

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Up to 1260. Good shit. If everyone that came to surly today gave 10 one time we could pay brooks 50k just to put it into perspective how powerful you 10 contribution is when you don’t sit on the sidelines and let everyone else do it. 

In for $20.

Incidentally, Stripe wasn't working for me when I tried to re-up my monthly after my old card expired, but it is working today.  So, if anybody else had the same issue, try again...

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Up to 1260. Good shit. If everyone that came to surly today gave 10 one time we could pay brooks 50k just to put it into perspective how powerful you 10 contribution is when you don’t sit on the sidelines and let everyone else do it. 

Tossed in fitty for the bad mo fo.  Thanks for doing this imma. 

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

This was brought up by AD DeLoss Dodds IIRC, and when it was discussed, the answer that was explained to him was that Mobilehoma would be only too happy to switch sides with us, because the side with the tunnel has less seats than the side without the tunnel.

Because that would reduce Texas' number of seats (and the rancor that would cause), Dodds didn't pursue anything more about it.

we give back the seats that the tunnel takes away.  that is why there is always a tiny group of dirt burglers in our end zone at the bottom(they are crappy seats).  we also get full view of jumbotron.

plus closer to the cheapest wax cup beer at the Fair.   we will never switch sides

Kinda cool, but also kinda aggyish cherry picking a starting date. We lead all time, but gotta restore the rightful order to keep bloU from tying...or heaven forbid..you know the rest.
I agree a little on cherry picking but this isn't some random date that only benefits one side like aggy does. This goes back almost 70 years. Which covers a lot of the modern day. As even as you can get for the last 68 years is pretty cool.

41 minutes ago, NoName said:

Bryce Young's contract has him making $6.9m next year. i have no clue how much Caleb Williams is making but that's a load of shit, just like him acting like he will stay in college another year, which adds another year to him getting to his second contract

Not Gonna Happen Justin Gaethje GIF by UFC

The argument isn't specifically that he will make more next year at USC than he would in the NFL, it's that he would make more with 1 year at USC then a rookie contract at a franchise that maximizes his value vs. coming out and going to a garbage franchise. Of course, the giant hole in that logic is there is no guarantee that a garbage franchise doesn't get the #1 pick next year too and then what? I think it's more for leverage in trying to get a team he doesn't want to trade away the #1 pick rather than "risk" him not playing or whatever. 

It reeks of his dad. I have nothing but love for Caleb, his dad sucks a bone. 

8 minutes ago, NoName said:

this is all to say: OU should be better than they are statistically, especially because they have played Gabriel a lot in some of these blowouts (why is your injury prone QB playing when the score is 45-17 vs Tulsa? why is he playing in the 2nd half when you are up 47-20 vs Iowa State? he literally played every drive until the last one vs ISU with <6 min in the game) and especially when compared to some of the teams who have played comparable trash schedules.

I like the analysis overall, but I think this part is aggressively silly. Gabriel played only the first half against Arkansas State. His last snap against Tulsa came with 3:23 to go in the 3rd quarter up 28 until they scored. Ewers' last snap vs Rice was with :30 to go in 3Q to go up 37-3. How is that different?

Gabriel's last snap against ISU was with 8:41 to go in the 4th Q, but that drive started in the 3rd quarter. Literally no one is pulling their QB in a conference game in the 3rd Q up 27. In fact, Ewers took the field in a drive starting in the 4th Q against Baylor with the score 38-6. Ewers is also running for TDs with 5:00 to go in the game to go up 40-14 on Kansas. 

I understand injury risk to an extent, but you also need to ensure your offensive unit is cohesive and getting reps together. Also, why is Gabriel injury-prone? He had a broken clavicle at UCF and a concussion last year, in 5 seasons of ball. Why isn't Ewers injury-prone when he missed multiple games in a season and a half of action? Shouldn't Texas not put him in up 32 in the 4th or have him running the ball with 5:00 to go in a game that's over?

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, immamac said:

In. Let’s keep it going assholes. 

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

No, the seat quantities are even. The tunnel is why there's a small patch of crimson shitheads in the Texas end zone seats. 

That's not what the news article at the time said. I can't remember where I read it --- in The Daily Texan or wherever.

2 hours ago, immamac said:

I hope he takes this money and makes a terrible investment decision with it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1