Outcoached

Pancho

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

I think we agree here actually. I’m not blaming AD for the pick or not for making the catch. It’s a terrible throw but AD runs lazy and then doesn’t bump at all. But fuck that’s a terrible fucking throw.

On double slants your read is the inside DB. If he carries the first route then you throw behind him. At that point its the trailing slant receivers job to win his individual battle. YOU CANNOT let a defender cross your face. That's the law of being a receiver. You have to win the battle to get to the inside even if it means you fall down from colliding into the defender. Did you see any of that? No. Mitchell ran a slow, lazy route, allowing the db the time to diagnose and jump it. More speed and he has to climb your back to get to that ball.

I think we agree here actually. AD runs lazy and then doesn’t bump at all. But fuck that’s a terrible fucking throw.

Yes it’s a bone headed throw, but every qb in the hall of fame has made that throw at some point in their career. He rebounded and went 15/15 or something crazy. Caleb Williams is elite and he played like complete dog shit against Arizona last night. 2 fumbles, 219 yards on 50% passing and that’s in a 3OT game. Sometimes shitty games happen. 

1 minute ago, Thatguy said:

On double slants your read is the inside DB. If he carries the first route then you throw behind him. At that point its the trailing slant receivers job to win his individual battle. YOU CANNOT let a defender cross your face. That's the law of being a receiver. You have to win the battle to get to the inside even if it means you fall down from colliding into the defender. Did you see any of that? No. Mitchell ran a slow, lazy route, allowing the db the time to diagnose and jump it. More speed and he has to climb your back to get to that ball.

I don’t need an education on WR read routes but thanks. The route wasn’t why the DB had time to diagnose it. DB is reading QB the whole way and Quinn made it easy for him. AD made it easier by not engaging. It’s middle school shit from both of our guys.

Just now, Rockethorn1978 said:

False. We said don’t run the same up the middle run 3 times then pass. Off tackle? Maybe some motion? When you bring in two DL to lead block you give it away. After the first one go to something else. 

We tried to run off tackle and Campbell pulled weird and got the play blown up. Watch how he pulls. He loops around instead of firing straight down the line. That couple step loss is the difference between meeting him at the LOS and getting yourself and your RB's lead blocker stacked up with a single edge defender. Bad technique by a young guy. 23:50 mark of the video

• Hook 'Em 2

54 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Not sure why some here can’t lay an ounce of blame on this staff that didn’t have the team prepared.

Here's why. This is the underlying pattern supporting all the analyses here, pro-Sark or anti-Sark. In essence, there are two types of well-meaning and long-suffering UT fans here. 

1. HOPE. Those who have hope that Sark (or Herman, Strong) is the GUY, no matter the counter-evidence right before everyone's eyes. The extreme example of hope is believing 2023 team compares well to 2005. 

-- They will always have a comeback or counter to justify their hope. After 15 years of suckitude, it is totally understandable to want to have hope. I get it. 

2. FATE. Those who accept fate that Sark (or Herman, Strong) is NOT the guy, given the key evidence: wins, losses, inexplicable losses, epic losses, massive choke losses, etc. 

-- We can see Sark is NOT the guy after massive blown leads in year 1, five losses in year 2, including a beatdown from TCU with Sonny F*cking Dykes on national TV. Washington shut Sark down, too.

The HOPE faction calls the FATE faction a bunch of pussies for not being true believers in Sark. Before that it was Strong and Herman. No matter the epic or inexplicable losses and screwups from these dudes, it took years for many to give up hope. 

-- The FATE faction knows we're screwed (winning no big titles) until we roll the dice on the next coach. And still may be screwed then, given our recent track record.

I accept this fate. 

Edited by BevoAbyss
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Fuck You 1

I was in section 107 and haven’t watched the replay because I don’t want to be more pissed. If they did more than up the middle(which is what it looked like from 1 of 107 then so be it. I still think they should have spread them out from first down and used some motion with J Whitt, even if it’s a threat it gets the defense moving in another direction. 

36 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Nope. Just watched that series of plays again. They just beat us at the LOS.

This.  Bitching about "coaching" when we can't punch it in from the 1 is what I would expect from this site. That's player execution and winning the LOS.  Period.    I'm sure PK wishes he had another shot at that last drive but D played decent in the 2nd half.  Bigger issues on D was constant missed tackles (which hadn't really been an issue this year until yesterday) + dropping the pick in the endzone.  DG played a great game but we didn't make him pay for his mistake.  They made us pay for our mistakes.

Sark would be first to say there are handful of play calls he wishes he had back and I'm sure on rewatch you could nitpick but overall I didn't have any issue with the way he called the game whatsoever. I'm sure he (and all of us) would have calculated 90%+ chance of a TD running it from jumbo package 3 straight times.  OU D stepped up and we didn't.  Hopefully we see them again in December.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, BevoAbyss said:

Here's why. This is the underlying pattern supporting all the analyses here, pro-Sark or anti-Sark. In essence, there are two types of well-meaning and long-suffering UT fans here. 

HOPE. Those who have hope that Sark (or Herman, Strong) is the GUY, no matter the counter-evidence right before everyone's eyes. The extreme example of hope is believing 2023 team compares well to 2005. 

-- They will always have a comeback or counter to justify their hope. After 15 years of suckitude, it is totally understandable to want to have hope. I get it. 

FATE. Those who accept fate that Sark (or Herman, Strong) is NOT the guy, given the key evidence: wins, losses, inexplicable losses, epic losses, massive choke losses, etc. 

-- We can see Sark is NOT the guy after massive blown leads in year 1, five losses in year 2, including a beatdown from TCU with Sonny F*cking Dykes on national TV. Washington shut Sark down, too.

The HOPE faction calls the Fate faction a bunch of PUSSIES for not being true believers in Sark. Before that it was Strong and Herman. No matter the epic or inexplicable losses and screwups from these dudes, it took years for many to give up hope. 

-- The FATE faction knows we're screwed (winning no big titles) until we roll the dice on the next coach. And still may be screwed then, given our recent track record.

I accept this fate. 

You just get me 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I was in section 107 and haven’t watched the replay because I don’t want to be more pissed. If they did more than up the middle(which is what it looked like from 1 of 107 then so be it. I still think they should have spread them out from first down and used some motion with J Whitt, even if it’s a threat it gets the defense moving in another direction. 

The second down play was a toss to the right so they did mix it up a bit.  Watch the OL replay that is posted above of those 4 plays and you will see our OL and blocking sucked on all the plays.  I get what you are saying about spreading them out but at the same time, we should have a OL that can block and get a yard for their RB especially when the RB is a beast and you just need to not let him not get swarmed in the backfield by multiple guys.  

Edited by Beantown Express 2.0

6 minutes ago, BevoAbyss said:

I accept this fate. 

JFC.  The constant overreaction on this board in both directions never disappoints.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I do think we got outcoached yesterday but I don’t think that is some sort of final nail on Sark. There’s going to be games that aren’t perfect from the coaching staff. I would prefer he not get outcoached by Venables, but it can happen. I’m certainly still more confident in Sark than I have been before this season.

I don’t need an education on WR read routes but thanks. The route wasn’t why the DB had time to diagnose it. DB is reading QB the whole way and Quinn made it easy for him. AD made it easier by not engaging. It’s middle school shit from both of our guys.

If you think the route wasn't why you clearly DO need a lesson on running slant routes.

You eat up space and attack the leverage. Get into the db but at the same time attack his inside leverage and put him in chase mode. If you run a lazy outfake, and then cut inside the DB is left squatting on the inside with no fear of anything else. Here is what it should look like.

4 minutes ago, Skipper said:

JFC.  The constant overreaction on this board in both directions never disappoints.

I came in here to see the knee jerk reactions. I'm not disappointed. Texas is the better team but their midget quarterback balled his ass off. I'm most disappointed in the defense or lack thereof. Oklahomo is better than I thought and they played with passion.

• Hook 'Em 1

We got outcoached and outplayed. No doubt. DB hit in Jatavion was perfect. Gabriel able to make plays with his legs killed us. Then the goal line play calling was abysmal. But, showed ou was outplaying us. Saw someone tweet: “sark gambled that Texas was tougher and he lost”. Yup

30 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Mitchell ran a slow, lazy route, allowing the db the time to diagnose and jump it.  

I need to rewatch it, but I don't remember the DB moving much at all. He was sitting heavy on the route, like he knew exactly what was coming. Our initial scripted plays continue to be terrible. 

2 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

I came in here to see the knee jerk reactions. I'm not disappointed. Texas is the better team but their midget quarterback balled his ass off. I'm most disappointed in the defense or lack thereof. Oklahomo is better than I thought and they played with passion.

Yep.  Its college football.  Roster talent is way more important than coaching.  Kirby Smart is not some coaching genius.  He stacked a roster.  When you play teams with equal or close to equal talent you have to execute. They just executed better overall.   Outside of 1 ball Ewers played great, Brooks played great, Worthy and all the WR's played great. Sanders drop resulting in a pick hurt.  But this game also showed our roster isn't quite readyfrom a depth perspective. Losing our center hurt.  Our interior OL was already the weak spot on our roster and that showed.   Not having Watts on D hurt more than I expected.

More than anything I give credit to DG and both OU lines.  They beat us up front.  Period.  Did not see that coming.  Also did not see Jaylon Ford having one of his worst games I can recall coming.   I want a rematch.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

I need to rewatch it, but I don't remember the DB moving much at all. He was sitting heavy on the route, like he knew exactly what was coming. Our initial scripted plays continue to be terrible. 

From my vantage point Ewers just stared him down from pre-snap then made a terrible decision.  It was a pretty easy play because Ewers eyes told him exactly what was coming.  Really only bad play by Ewers the entire game.

• Hook 'Em 1

Nope. Just watched that series of plays again. They just beat us at the LOS.

Yep. I wouldn’t normally defend the “run it right at them, who gives a fuck if they know it’s coming” approach, but in that situation, in that game, I understand and even agree with it. I’d probably have gone with a different call on third down after the jumbo set wasn’t getting it done but frankly pushing it over the line has psychological value beyond the 7 points.
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Yep.  Its college football.  Roster talent is way more important than coaching.  Kirby Smart is not some coaching genius.  He stacked a roster.  When you play teams with equal or close to equal talent you have to execute. They just executed better overall.   Outside of 1 ball Ewers played great, Brooks played great, Worthy and all the WR's played great. Sanders drop resulting in a pick hurt.  But this game also showed our roster isn't quite readyfrom a depth perspective. Losing our center hurt.  Our interior OL was already the weak spot on our roster and that showed.   Not having Watts on D hurt more than I expected.

More than anything I give credit to DG and both OU lines.  They beat us up front.  Period.  Did not see that coming.  Also did not see Jaylon Ford having one of his worst games I can recall coming.   I want a rematch.  

Oklahoma out rushed Texas with over 200 yards. Not a single person on this planet saw that coming. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ve stated this in other threads but we have to give the OU staff props. They really called a hell of a game. 

The QB run and their offensive tempo for Oklahoma were the game changers in my opinion.  
•I think we knew Gabriel could run but I doubt anyone seen him going for 130+ and 1 TD . 
•if you want to slow down our defensive line you get it out quick and move with tempo (minimal subs) 

OU really did that, and I can’t even get mad . 

At the end of the day OU probably played a A game maybe A- while Texas played a C or C- game and we still had the lead with a min left. We have to make sure we don’t lose this game twice and I think we’ll see them again. 

Sark has to swallow that pride, learn from this and adjust, cause I do believe they overestimated themselves and underestimated OU, (look at the goal line series) or the (last min drive) 

• Hook 'Em 5

9 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I’d probably have gone with a different call on third down after the jumbo set wasn’t getting it done but frankly pushing it over the line has psychological value beyond the 7 points.

100%.  I think we were about to take control of the game right there.  Credit to OU's D for the goal line stand.

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

10 minutes ago, Skipper said:

From my vantage point Ewers just stared him down from pre-snap then made a terrible decision.  It was a pretty easy play because Ewers eyes told him exactly what was coming.  Really only bad play by Ewers the entire game.

On the release you fire vertical and inside to take away the db leverage. If you do that it won't matter if the db read the play or not. Read wasn't great but a play like that should end up with the receiver getting blown up as soon as he catches it or the pass broken up.

All or nothing takes on whether it was coaching or execution is a waste of time. 

Many mistakes in execution are coaching mistakes, and many are just players doing the wrong thing. 

In looking at the game holistically, there is no question Texas got out coached on both sides of the ball, and Texas’ special teams out coached OU special teams. 

On offense, the OU defensive scheme limited downfield plays and brought enough pressure to bother Ewers. 

On defense, most people knew Gabriel could and would run and the staff didn’t have a good enough game plan to stop it.

And with all of the above, players made mistakes and players got hurt.  It sucked.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

On defense, most people knew Gabriel could and would run and the staff didn’t have a good enough game plan to stop it.

And with all of the above, players made mistakes and players got hurt.  It sucked.  

I'll say this.  OU's offensive is pretty damn tough to stop when they run with DG.  He's a talented and accurate passer so you can't sell out to stop the run like we did against Bama.   There is absolutely zero chance they run him like that all season because it will get him hurt (i.e., what led to 49-0 last year) but if we get the rematch and he's healthy they sure as hell will so someone better get working on it now.  We definitely did not adjust well in game.  And tackling was just poor across the board.  

Make this go away. Please. Exorcise it with holy water. Takes me straight back to our CFP nightmare vs Clemson a few years ago. Don’t despair, Surlies. Horns are rising. We, otoh, are a derp in progress but did find a way to win thanks to Jimbodupery and some actual defense late. Milroe situational awareness sorely lacking but I revere his efforts.

image.jpeg.3088e6067369164a3b29850db2bd31ba.jpeg

Dead ringer for big jaw man meme. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, BevoAbyss said:

1. HOPE. Those who have hope that Sark (or Herman, Strong) is the GUY, no matter the counter-evidence right before everyone's eyes. The extreme example of hope is believing 2023 team compares well to 2005. 

2. FATE. Those who accept fate that Sark (or Herman, Strong) is NOT the guy, given the key evidence: wins, losses, inexplicable losses, epic losses, massive choke losses, etc. 

The HOPE faction calls the FATE faction a bunch of pussies for not being true believers in Sark. Before that it was Strong and Herman. No matter the epic or inexplicable losses and screwups from these dudes, it took years for many to give up hope. 

I accept this fate. 

Yeah sometimes the football team you root for loses. There is still a lot of season left. If you're a gloom and doomer have fun with that shit but don't expect everyone else to be the same way or wanna put up with it.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

Sark asked them to have fun. OU

when sark said "told them to have fun today" to the sideline blond just before kickoff i felt it was a terrible omen

then unsolicited he added to the blond "this is such a beautiful day for college football"

if he had done it in a keith jackson voice it would have been funny

but he delivered it straight up

/facepalm

7 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Yeah sometimes the football team you root for loses. There is still a lot of season left. If you're a gloom and doomer have fun with that shit but don't expect everyone else to be the same way or wanna put up with it.

Jesus, yes. Teams lose all the time. Better teams lose all the time. It’s not the end of the world. Sun still came up today, it’s a beautiful day!

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, Atticus said:

The running into the kicker penalty that extended their drive is effectively another turnover too. 

Gabriel gave them that opportunity with the way he saved the bad snap too.

Man, I almost forgot about that. Keilan Robinson did not have a very good game yesterday. OU went down and scored on that drive, right?

Sometimes you roll the dice and you hit snake eyes. Just the way it happens. Quinn looked fucking good on paper but the 2 interceptions and 1 fumble fucked us in the ass. We will have a rematch in the Big 12 championship game and beat their sorry asses like we did last year. Bet the farm on it.

6 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Sometimes you roll the dice and you hit snake eyes. Just the way it happens. Quinn looked fucking good on paper but the 2 interceptions and 1 fumble fucked us in the ass. We will have a rematch in the Big 12 championship game and beat their sorry asses like we did last year. Bet the farm on it.

Would you like to actually bet the farm? I’ll take that bet. 

13 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

In 15 minutes, you guys are gonna be fuckin fine with this.  So I'll just sum it up this way, as fast as I can. 

That is the most humiliating game in the last fuckin 10 years I've been involved with. how can we fuckin not score 1st and goal from the 1? How could you fuckin do that? What do you think you are doing?  This isn’t some goddamn game!!! It’s about our lives!!!!! Like I said 15 minutes from now you won’t give a shit, but I gotta fucking live with this embarrassing game for the rest of my fucking life!!

Well played

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Man, I almost forgot about that. Keilan Robinson did not have a very good game yesterday. OU went down and scored on that drive, right?

He had a bad game.  That and also taking kick out of the endzone giving us shitty field position.  He's one of those guys that sometimes tries to do way too much with his limited snaps.

4 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I think a toss to Witt instead of Worthy is 6 points.  Worthy can't hit and got bent.  He's a speedy wideout that's good at finding open areas or speed when there's a lot of field.  When the field shrinks, I'm not giving to lighter guys if I need a push.  And that beginning swing pass to open games needs to stop.  

• Hook 'Em 1

This. This is a fact. Was OU spraying their pants with teflon, or...?

What not enough people ever talk about:

The overwhelming majority of missed tackles are actually missed before they are even attempted. Shitty weak arm tackles that get slipped are the result of being out of position and approaching from a bad angle.

4 hours ago, BevoAbyss said:

I accept this fate. 

You forgot the part where the FATE faction overlooks any/all improvements year-over-year in recruiting, game planning, or results (such as Alabama) because the only acceptable result is to be 12-0 and win the national championship each year.  And lays 100% of everything at Sark's feet because he's he coach!  Ewers made a bad decision throw into the DB for an INT?  Shoulda coached him up better than that Sark!  "Call the touchdown play Sark!!!"  These are the same type of people who use the term "money whip" with regard to coaches and players as if we're fated to get positive results because Texas is rich.  Spoiler: we're not.

We have improved every year that Sark has been on campus and the trend line is still pointing up overall.  This isn't Herman who was immature and a shit recruiter or Strong who was shit overall and just looked lost.  Fate people need to stop being a prisoner of the past.  And BTW most people were roundly criticized on that thread comparing this year to 2005, there is no comparison.  As Alan Greenspan would say "irrational exuberance."

Yeah I'm hope.  But I temper hope with logic.  You can be hopeful and acknowledge our shortcomings and areas we need to improve.  Anyone ready to cut bait on Sark due to FATE as defined above needs to be ready to get another Herman or Strong, because that's a real possibility.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

I think a toss to Witt instead of Worthy is 6 points.  Worthy can't hit and got bent.  He's a speedy wideout that's good at finding open areas or speed when there's a lot of field.  When the field shrinks, I'm not giving to lighter guys if I need a push.  And that beginning swing pass to open games needs to stop.  

This. I know Sark loves wiry speedsters, but the RZ is where I want stronger Quan Cosby or Duvernay types. 

i said this a year ago. Sark is Mackovic #2.

-- Great recruiter, flashy risk-taking offense, big highs/wins and looks like the GUY. But also provides deep lows/inexplicable and horrifying losses.

-- Of course, Sark is a nicer, more likable coach than arrogant Mackovic. 

MACKOVIC:

-- HIGH: "Roll Left" v Nebraska for Big 12 title, stopping Huskers chance for repeat MNC. 

-- LOWS: "Rout 66" a mere three games after "Roll Left." (Rout 66 is the infamous 66-3 home loss to UCLA for those too young to have lived through it.)

-- Big wins over OU and blowing 21-point lead versus OU. Losing to freaking Rice on national TV at night after beating ranked OU a week earlier. Mind-numbing, inexplicable losses.

-- Had at least 4 losses in five of his six season as coach. Won more than 8 games only once at UT (10-2-1 in 1995).

-- Mackovic managed to win Big 12 title in 1995 and 1996, yet collapsed in 1997 with Rout 66 and was fired.

SARK:

-- HIGHS: 49-0 and win over Bama.

-- LOWS: massive chokes vs OU in 2021 and 2023, TCU beatdown from Sonny Dykes.

-- Yes, the 4 shots from the 1 is one of the biggest chokes in Longhorn history.

-- Never had less than 4 losses, never more than 9 wins in career.

MACKOVIC record in year 3 (1994) after OU game: 15-11-1 (55%).

SARK record in year 3 after OU game: 18-13 (58%).

------------------

We'll see what SARK does.... I hope he wins huge. But, I also see a clear likely fate.

So far he looks almost exactly like MACKOVIC ... the GUY ... who isn't the GUY.

Edited by BevoAbyss
clarity.

24 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

You forgot the part where the FATE faction overlooks any/all improvements year-over-year in recruiting, game planning, or results (such as Alabama) because the only acceptable result is to be 12-0 and win the national championship each year.  And lays 100% of everything at Sark's feet because he's he coach!  Ewers made a bad decision throw into the DB for an INT?  Shoulda coached him up better than that Sark!  "Call the touchdown play Sark!!!"  These are the same type of people who use the term "money whip" with regard to coaches and players as if we're fated to get positive results because Texas is rich.  Spoiler: we're not.

We have improved every year that Sark has been on campus and the trend line is still pointing up overall.  This isn't Herman who was immature and a shit recruiter or Strong who was shit overall and just looked lost.  Fate people need to stop being a prisoner of the past.  And BTW most people were roundly criticized on that thread comparing this year to 2005, there is no comparison.  As Alan Greenspan would say "irrational exuberance."

Yeah I'm hope.  But I temper hope with logic.  You can be hopeful and acknowledge our shortcomings and areas we need to improve.  Anyone ready to cut bait on Sark due to FATE as defined above needs to be ready to get another Herman or Strong, because that's a real possibility.

Oh come on. 

im definitely “Fate”, probably one of the strongest proponents of this stance, and I clearly have pointed out that recruiting is on the upswing. I also believe there has been more player development than we previously saw.

Edited by lilMAC25

4 hours ago, Skipper said:

This.  Bitching about "coaching" when we can't punch it in from the 1 is what I would expect from this site. That's player execution and winning the LOS.

Normally I'd agree, but we haven't been able to do it consistently all year...or since Sark has been here, really...then it becomes a coaching mistake to call it 3 straight times.