Don’t fuck around, go win the Big 12

troph

12 hours ago, ChickenNuggets said:

If OU wins out in conference play it seems regarded to have them play an additional "championship" game to declare themselves champion, especially if the team in that game is one they already beat...

BIG 12 isn't sending two teams to the playoffs.. if OU wins out, they're the ones going, regardless of whether they get beat in the "championship" game. 

Am I missing something?

Didn’t UGA and Bama both go to the playoffs a few years back?     One went with one loss due to H2H in the SEC championship.  I mean it’s possible the Rig 12 could send two.     If you look at who is ahead of us in the poll today the only two teams I think have a realistic shot at being undefeated at the end of the season is FSU and UGA.     Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State still have to play each other .  Ditto for USC, Oregon, and Washington.    They all could have a circular firing squad and lose a game.  

12 hours ago, ChickenNuggets said:

If OU wins out in conference play it seems regarded to have them play an additional "championship" game to declare themselves champion, especially if the team in that game is one they already beat...

BIG 12 isn't sending two teams to the playoffs.. if OU wins out, they're the ones going, regardless of whether they get beat in the "championship" game. 

Am I missing something?

When we beat them by 35 and we've got the more impressive schedule and better brand. We go. 

Feeling surprisingly zen after that gut-wrenching loss. It always sucks to lose ot ou, but it's a pretty big fucking wake-up call and we get an extra week to get our minds right. A second loss changes everything, but barring a miraculous season by WVU, this just gives us ammunition for the sweetest revenge in the B12 title game 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

Sure as hell better look out for WV. Other than blowu their most difficult remaining games are at home. They could easily finish with 1 loss and we have to go to the stupid ass rules if Texas finishes with 1 loss. And don't underestimate Sark's ability to blow another. Blowu laid down the blueprint.

On 10/7/2023 at 3:00 PM, troph said:

Fuck OU.

we gave that game to them.

It used to be the Cotton Bowl was the biggest game of the year.

take care of business and beat OU for the big 12 championship - oddly against our instincts that’s the bigger game of the year. It’s still ours to take.

No way a one loss Texas Big 12 champion is kept out of the playoffs with a win at Bama and a revenge win over OU.

Goals still in sight.  

fuck OU. Man up. 

Like all those other Big 12 championships we’ve won after rolling over and losing to OU?

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Hard Times said:

Sure as hell better look out for WV. Other than blowu their most difficult remaining games are at home. They could easily finish with 1 loss and we have to go to the stupid ass rules if Texas finishes with 1 loss. And don't underestimate Sark's ability to blow another. Blowu laid down the blueprint.

West Virginia will lose two of their upcoming games at the very least.  They’ve won games, but not necessarily in dominating fashion.  

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

West Virginia will lose two of their upcoming games at the very least.  They’ve won games, but not necessarily in dominating fashion.  

West Virginia's remaining schedule:

@Houston, Okie Lite, @UCF, BYU, @OU, Cincy, @Baylor 

They'll definitely lose to OU in Norman and BYU should be able to beat them by a TD. Wouldn't be surprised if they lost to Okie State since they always lose to someone they shouldn't. 

10 hours ago, gmr548 said:

It’s less stupid than it was when the Big 12 was a round robin and the first seed was playing a second seed it had finished outright ahead of. For example, despite us wining the RRS in 2018, it was stupid an 8-1 OU team had to play a 7-2 Texas team in the CCG after playing the same schedule. This year there is at least the element of incongruous conference schedules. I do agree a Big 12 title by virtue of beating an OU team with a similar or better league record in a rematch would feel kind of hollow after yesterday but thems the rules, and if it ruins their season all the better.

Ew. No. This is absurd. I hope they lose the rest of the games they play. If it’s a playoff thing a 12-1 Texas is overwhelmingly likely to get a nod regardless.

Texas is inconsistent enough that I expect them to lose one or two more anyway - though winning out wouldn’t shock me. They’ll be big favorites the rest of the way and for good reason. OU exposed Texas to a degree but for the most part the rest of the conference isn’t equipped to replicate without a huge amount of help from Texas itself. 11-1 and a rematch should be the goal obviously but 7-2 in conference probably gets you in the CCG.

I do think OU drops at least one league game. That is not a juggernaut.

Agree wholeheartedly. I hate OU and their redneck fanbase with the intensity of 10000 suns. I could see them drop at least one game with their schedule. They're not the team that the media and all the Surly naysayers make them out to be. A good team,, yes but one that will be horrifically exposed once they face a really good team without the benefit of Big XII officiating. Even as poorly as UT played this past Saturday, they almost won. OU is not invincible. 

Winning out does not guarantee a playoff spot. Not for us or 0U. Makes it more likely? Yes, yes it does. Guaranteed, though... no.

At this point, ACC, SEC, B1G, and PAC2 could all finish with a 13-0 champion. SEC and B1G are automatic. ACC > XII, so that's 3 of the 4. USC or OR at 13-0 > 0U at 13-0 or UT at 12-1. 

All that can change - I can see both ACC and PAC cannibalizing themselves, and the XII champion could well sneak in... but automatic? No. We may hope.

20 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

Just like 2018, but reversed. Hate to say it, but we need OU sucks to win out the rest of their season, as well as us. The it’ll be two top 10 teams playing in Dallas for the CFP.

Hook’em!!!

Nah fuck OU.  I hope they lose the rest of their games and we end up playing Kansas again or WVU or whatever in the championship game.

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Winning out does not guarantee a playoff spot. Not for us or 0U. Makes it more likely? Yes, yes it does. Guaranteed, though... no.

At this point, ACC, SEC, B1G, and PAC2 could all finish with a 13-0 champion. SEC and B1G are automatic. ACC > XII, so that's 3 of the 4. USC or OR at 13-0 > 0U at 13-0 or UT at 12-1. 

All that can change - I can see both ACC and PAC cannibalizing themselves, and the XII champion could well sneak in... but automatic? No. We may hope.

4 undefeated power 5 champs have never happened in the playoff era. Unless something unprecedented occurs, OU absolutely controls their own destiny making it to the playoff. If Texas wins out, they’re in a good position to be the first choice of the 1 loss teams thanks to that road win in Tuscaloosa. 

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

4 undefeated power 5 champs have never happened in the playoff era. Unless something unprecedented occurs, OU absolutely controls their own destiny making it to the playoff. If Texas wins out, they’re in a good position to be the first choice of the 1 loss teams thanks to that road win in Tuscaloosa. 

The point is, it absolutely is NOT guaranteed. Never happened before? So what? Could it happen? Yes, it fucking well could. Will it? Maybe. 

Other than that... yeah, one or the other of us can probably ( > 0 ) get in the games if we win out. 

12 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Didn’t UGA and Bama both go to the playoffs a few years back?     One went with one loss due to H2H in the SEC championship.  I mean it’s possible the Rig 12 could send two.     If you look at who is ahead of us in the poll today the only two teams I think have a realistic shot at being undefeated at the end of the season is FSU and UGA.     Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State still have to play each other .  Ditto for USC, Oregon, and Washington.    They all could have a circular firing squad and lose a game.  

It will be our luck that we both go 12-1 and make the CFP and then we get matched up in the first round

ASSUMING we could get to 12-1, I think a potentially problematic scenario is Alabama and Georgia winning out then Georgia losing to them in the SECCG.

It might be ironically better for us for Bama to pick up another loss before the SECCG to take them out of the equation entirely.

We've seen too much SEC fuckery to think that we'd be a safe pick over 12-1 Alabama even with a H2H win. After all, they'd have the best loss between us 🙄

However - I think it's unlikely that the SEC would get two teams in over a one loss B12 champ.

I'm pretty confident that we'd get in over 12-1 FSU or really any of the PAC teams (with one loss).

The B10 and SEC will both get a spot barring catastrophe. What we need is for none of SC, UO and Wash to go undefeated and for FSU to pick up a loss. If that happens and we win out it's gravy. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Haha 1

ASSUMING we could get to 12-1, I think a potentially problematic scenario is Alabama and Georgia winning out then Georgia losing to them in the SECCG.
It might be ironically better for us for Bama to pick up another loss before the SECCG to take them out of the equation entirely.
We've seen too much SEC fuckery to think that we'd be a safe pick over 12-1 Alabama even with a H2H win. After all, they'd have the best loss between us
However - I think it's unlikely that the SEC would get two teams in over a one loss B12 champ.
I'm pretty confident that we'd get in over 12-1 FSU or really any of the PAC teams (with one loss).
The B10 and SEC will both get a spot barring catastrophe. What we need is for none of SC, UO and Wash to go undefeated and for FSU to pick up a loss. If that happens and we win out it's gravy. 

There is a 0% chance that a 12-1, Big 12 champion Texas that hung the “1” on a 12-1 SEC champion misses the playoff. That is honestly the best scenario possible for Texas. The Alabama win would be so strong in that scenario. I think Texas/Bama both get in in that scenario. Only two 1-loss P5 champs have ever been left out. One fell victim to helmet school bias and the other got blasted by 30 by a 6-6 team. I don’t think Texas is going to win out, personally, but the hand wringing over playoff chances if they do is dumb.

Texas could be on the outside looking in. The good news is Texas has #5 and #6 at home. The bad news is Texas doesn't play #4 and #4 doesn't play #3. WV will be favored in all their remaining games. They could very well be tied with Texas, and that's assuming Texas doesn't have another loss. WV ended up with a very favorable schedule. 

Big 12 football power rankings following Texas’ loss to Oklahoma (usatoday.com)

39 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

Texas could be on the outside looking in. The good news is Texas has #5 and #6 at home. The bad news is Texas doesn't play #4 and #4 doesn't play #3. WV will be favored in all their remaining games. They could very well be tied with Texas, and that's assuming Texas doesn't have another loss. WV ended up with a very favorable schedule. 

WV will be favored against OU?   Uh, no....

11 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

WV will be favored against OU?   Uh, no....

Meant to convey other than the one loss to Blowu, sorry didn't convey correctly. They will be favored in all their remaining b12 games but Blowu so they have a good chance of only 1 B12 loss.

1 minute ago, Hard Times said:

Meant to convey other than the one loss to Blowu, sorry didn't convey correctly. They will be favored in all their remaining b12 games but Blowu so they have a good chance of only 1 B12 loss.

So let me get this straight. Half this board doubts that Texas can win out against a bunch of cupcakes, but somehow WVU is gonna run the fucking table. LOL get the fuck outta here 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck You 1

I'm convinced nobody has actually watched WVU play this year. Let me break this down:

1. Lose by 23 to Penn State in a game that wasn't even that close.

2. Struggle initially against a terrible Duquesne team and eventually win 56-17.

3. Struggle and eventually overcome the horrible team that is 1-4 Pitt and wins 17-6. 

4. Destroy the Tech starting QB and a backup leads them to the goal line only to fail to score the tying TD as time expires. WVU wins 20-13.

5. WVU manages to hold on after TCU tries every way possible to give them the game on silver platter. WVU wins 24-21.

Bottom line, this team will not beat anyone with a halfway decent offense. UCF on the road,OU on the road and at least one of Houston,Cincy,BYU will get them as well. This is not a good football team. It's a decent defense with a horrific offense who has managed to be slightly less mediocre than everyone else on the schedule so far.

Edited by ITHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ITHorn said:

I'm convinced nobody has actually watched WVU play this year. Let me break this down:

1. Lose by 23 to Penn State in a game that wasn't even that close.

2. Struggle initially against a terrible Duquesne team and eventually win 56-17.

3. Struggle and eventually overcome the horrible team that is 1-4 Pitt and wins 17-6. 

4. Destroy the Tech starting QB and a backup leads them to the goal line only to fail to score the tying TD as time expires. WVU wins 20-13.

5. WVU manages to hold on after TCU tries every way possible to give them the game on silver platter. WVU wins 24-21.

Bottom line, this team will not beat anyone with a halfway decent offense. UCF on the road,OU on the road and at least one of Houston,Cincy,BYU will get them as well. This is not a good football team. It's a decent defense with a horrific offense who has managed to be slightly less mediocre than everyone else on the schedule so far.

I admit - I haven’t watched WVU this year nor do I plan to.  Thanks for the summary, I believe you are right.  Fuck WVU and the big 12.  So glad we won’t be in a conference with them anymore.

3 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

These statistical projections mean fuck all, but the “You guys are so delusional, never going to happen” crowd need to chill. Nobody is saying it will happen, it’s just very very possible.

While I appreciate - and applaud - the point, "possible" does not admit to a degree of "possibleness". Something is either possible, or not. Probable, on the other hand, is what you want here, although maybe with a percentage or some part of a range.  I would translate "very very" into 75%, or eight of ten, something like that. 

/pedagoguery

West Virginia is not going 8-1 in Big 12 play. A couple close wins over other middle of the pack Big 12 teams are being blown way out of proportion.

13 hours ago, Newdoc said:

Apparently it’s the new poster called Hardtimes and WV fans that take meth and fentanyl at the same time.

I don't take either, nor did I think tcu would go undefeated in the Big 12 last year, nor did anyone else here. All I said is WV is favored in their remaining games and it's possible. That is nothing more than a factual statement, but dickheads like you will interpret it as something entirely different. I also said Blowu would beat Texas this year and got a lot of shit for that. So lighten up Francis and learn how to read.

On 10/7/2023 at 6:07 PM, troph said:

So what we know… now that aggy did what aggy did.

We also know there are a lot of total little bitches around here.

God, I'm at the point where I want us to win another championship almost as much to quash the rampant PTSD around here as I do to have something to celebrate.

11 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

We also know there are a lot of total little bitches around here.

God, I'm at the point where I want us to win another championship almost as much to quash the rampant PTSD around here as I do to have something to celebrate.

new motto...

little bitches around here

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

True.

But, we could also be Texas Tech fans.  Which is basically the same thing.

there is not a simulation in the program that would result in me being a tech fan. no fucking way. I think I kill myself in the simulation before that's an option.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2023 at 12:32 PM, Hard Times said:

WV is a 3 point favorite vs Houston….   Read that again, I don’t think them beating OU or BYU is a big threat.