Texas Bye Week 2023

immamac

On 10/9/2023 at 10:05 AM, immamac said:

Are we dealing with a derailed momentum train or a small bump in the road to glory? 
Texas is 6 games into the season with a 5-1 record that includes a bitter last minute loss to our biggest rival in a game full of mistakes and is still in the AP and coaches top 10. There are some significant injuries that happened in the game, namely the starting center Jake Majors with a potentially season ending injury. Jaylon Catalon with another injury that kept him out.
What are the expectations going into the rest of the season? What are some predictions and what would you like to see coming out of this week and going into the 2nd half of this season?

I am going say 6-0

Looking for the Dynamic Freshmen Duo of Hill and Williams to play starter minutes.. Williams playing on the final drive seems to ensure his role is only going to get larger. Sark was almost glowing talking about Hill's performance in the RRS. It is time

Johntay Cook becomes a bigger part of the offense. Sark mentioned he should have played Cook more vs OU.. 

Red or Baxter takes over the short yardage situations. I'd say Baxter, but will he ever be healthy? 

17 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Red or Baxter takes over the short yardage situations. I'd say Baxter, but will he ever be healthy? 

Baxter needs to get healthy, gain weight, and gain strength. He looks like a lab puppy out there. 

Red needs a bigger role, period. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Sark needs to trash the Mcarthy dallas cowboy playbook of shit click management. Shit red zone offense etc this week

red reminds me of early roschon era gets tough yards 

also 33-17. 11 penalties for 110 yards vs bye week

Edited by Sgt Hulk

I might sound crazy, but hear me out... I'm happy with where this team is right now and I'm actually glad we lost to OU in that fashion. If we had come up with a defensive stop after our final field goal, most of our team, coaches, and fanbase would have come away from that game thinking we're a gutsy team that found a way to win at the end of a game where we didn't play our best. Of course there would still be concern about the mistakes that were made, but overall the mindset across the board would be positive and we'd be going into the bye week feeling confident and comfortable. Instead, we all came away from the game realizing there are some glaring areas where we HAVE to get better if we're going to win out and take the Big 12 title (pass rush, penalties, red zone offense, etc). I hate to sound like Mack Brown's "winning too much is bad for the kids", but in reality it's true that success is a terrible teacher. Instead of going through the bye week thinking we're good enough and can find a way to win no matter what; we're going to spend it focusing on those weaknesses and finding a way to get better. I'm predicting that the loss to OU is going to be a net positive for our season, and we're going to win out including the rematch in December.

This is texags grade copium.
  • Haha 1

On 10/9/2023 at 10:17 AM, Bevoball said:

While this loss suck and still stings, I think it may help the team refocus and stop coming out so flat on offense. Other than really that last drive our defense played winning ball and our offense just continued to shoot themselves in the dick drive after drive. I could still see ousux dropping a game in conference maybe even two. Our goal is to make it to  and win the conference championship so we need to come out with our hair on fire the next few weeks and put any doubts to rest. We are still the best team in conference, use this week to get healthy, get Robertson settled in at center, and for the love of God get the safety rotation settled and quit switching them out constantly.

Chris Pratt What GIF

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

If Jake really is out for several weeks, then this bye week really came at a great time.   

Getting Hutson back will be huge, and a game against roadkill Houston is a great game to work out the rust before we get to teams with a pulse. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Time was, Open Date was commonly called “Off Week.” In 1969, each week during football season, Rice architecture students stretched a big banner along the second floor of Anderson Hall with the legend “Beat LSU” or “Beat A&M,” and so on. 

You all must already know what happened when Off Week arrived. The banner lasted until about, oh, 10:00 a.m.

Anyway, in fond remembrance of those long ago halcyon days at the Institute on South Main,

BEAT OFF WEEK!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

More FCB injury notes are there is a decent chance Sanders is held out of UH. He was playing at around 75% last Saturday.

Watts is also very questionable for UH and might be held out so there aren’t any lingering issues the rest of the way with the hamstring.

Edited by Hookem2147

Too much talk about the rest of the season, not enough about fixing problems in bye week. 

Obvious problems are OL interior, QB finding receivers instead of focus on middle, red zone play selection/execution; DL/LB pressure and containment, DB cover plan, team tackling, tackling, and tackling. Not a lot wrong with ST, but take the KO on the 25 and quit fielding punts inside the 10. Plenty more, but those are starters.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

More FCB injury notes are there is a decent chance Sanders is held out of UH. He was playing at around 75% last Saturday.
Watts is also very questionable for UH and might be held out so there aren’t any lingering issues the rest of the way with the hamstring.

They should sit him. I wonder how much he actually practiced last week.

And in retrospect it makes our first OU play odd and a poor choice. A hobbled dude who was limited at practice as your sole blocker.
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

They should sit him. I wonder how much he actually practiced last week.

And in retrospect it makes our first OU play odd and a poor choice. A hobbled dude who was limited at practice as your sole blocker.

An unblocked screen was a hair too predictable, but Sark obviously didn't want to actually have blocking involved. Obvious solution.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

Too much talk about the rest of the season, not enough about fixing problems in bye week. 

Obvious problems are OL interior, QB finding receivers instead of focus on middle, red zone play selection/execution; DL/LB pressure and containment, DB cover plan, team tackling, tackling, and tackling. Not a lot wrong with ST, but take the KO on the 25 and quit fielding punts inside the 10. Plenty more, but those are starters.

Most of these are not getting fixed in the middle of the season. Teams are what they are at this point. OL interior is maybe the lone exception if Robertson/Hutson can grow into the center spot, but it was already a weakness. Hayden Connor was just dreadful on Saturday and has been a weak link most of the year. If they aren't looking at getting Neto some run at LG, I worry about his development curve. Interior OL is likely to be a weak point all year and every team that doesn't attack it relentlessly is stupid.

The rest of them, I mean, they are the same problems that have been exhibited since Sark got here. They're structural problems under Sark/PK/Ewers that have been better masked this season.

1 hour ago, USNALonghorn said:

Anyone not at 100% should be held out of UH game. Playing BYU’s grown ass men followed by KSU will be physically taxing. 

I'd probably exempt Kelvin Banks in the interest of not wanting to get Ewers killed but otherwise yes.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Team and Coaches need to work on this during the Bye week (let’s face it most of us will be watching the Lonestar showdown between Rangers and Astros):

That’s what I have to offer. 

I mean.. that's not ALL you have to offer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

We the posters aren’t fixing any of these problems so we can talk about whatever we want.

Also a few of those things (tackling) haven’t been an issue prior to last week so we will see if it’s a one time issue or a trend.

2 hours ago, Tex Long said:

"QB finding receivers instead of focus on middle"

Just wondering what this means. Quinn is completely 77.5% of his passes the last 3 weeks for 10.4 yard per attempt. 

Stupid bye week discussion: Is it too early to start talking about potential attrition and who seems to be buried on the depth at the halfway point? Portal opens up in like 50 days.

QB- Probably none

RB- Blue (almost transferred last offseason, doesn't seem to be in the circle of trust)

WR- Neyor (seems to be trending that way) and Cain? (grad transfer maybe?)

TE- Davis? (Is it ever going to click? Been 3 years and we will surely be hitting the portal here to pair someone with Helm)

OL- Merril, Goram-Welch? I guess it's possible one of the current freshman OL doesn't see a path and peels out early.

DL- Swanson? 

Edge- Don't really see an obvious departure here

LB- Same as edge

DB- LTG and BJ Allen seem like obvious candidates. Kitan Crawford grad transfer maybe? Don't hear much about Xa'vion Brice but we are a little thin at CB so maybe he sticks it out another year

I guess it is a good thing that there doesn't seem to be a ton of dead weight on this roster.

Edited by Hookem2147

I know Sark is big on composure, not getting over emotional, blah blah blah

But if that isn’t displayed prominently in the facility, that’s coaching malpractice.
Doesn't apply unless they're next up on our schedule. Once we make that happen, (assuming they don't lay an egg) then sure...plaster those everywhere.

15 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Stupid bye week discussion: Is it too early to start talking about potential attrition and who seems to be buried on the depth at the halfway point? Portal opens up in like 50 days.

QB- Probably none

RB- Blue (almost transferred last offseason, doesn't seem to be in the circle of trust)

TE- Davis? (Is it ever going to click? Been 3 years and we will surely be hitting the portal here to pair someone with Helm)

OL- Merril, Goram-Welch? I guess it's possible one of the current freshman OL doesn't see a path and peels out early.

DL- Swanson? 

LB- Same as edge

DB- LTG and BJ Allen seem like obvious candidates. Kitan Crawford grad transfer maybe? Don't hear much about Xa'vion Brice but we are a little thin at CB so maybe he sticks it out another year

I guess it is a good thing that there doesn't seem to be a ton of dead weight on this roster.

Blue is actually playing and contributing with a path to more playing time next season if JBrooks leaves, so I don't really see that.
Neyor is a possibility, but I think it is equally likely that he comes back as our big receiver target next season with another year of rehab. Cain seems like a decent bet to GT. 
Davis is not playing due to lack of size, so maybe?
Merrill and Goram-Welch are just happy to be here, they are going to suck up scholarship numbers until Flood peels their kung fu grips out of their lockers and throws them out on their asses. 
Swanson maybe, he seems to have some trouble putting on weight, but we may need him next season. 
BJ Allen has been playing, so that would surprise me. LTG, sure.. why not. 

QB- Probably none
DL- Swanson? 
LB- Same as edge
I don't know where your confidence Murphy doesn't go somewhere that needs a QB comes from, but I hope you're right. It's possible Quinn doesn't declare this year like many people thought he would...what are our chances of keeping the QB room exactly the same? I'd say not good, but unlike aggy wishful thinking, Arch isn't going anywhere.

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Blue is actually playing and contributing with a path to more playing time next season if JBrooks leaves, so I don't really see that.

I don't think Blue will ever be someone we can reliably run between the tackles with the traditional run game. His best path to the field might be in a Keilan Robinson type role but Robinson doesn't exactly get a ton of touches currently and makes his primary impact on special teams so is Blue cool with that? 

6 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

BJ Allen has been playing, so that would surprise me.

I just looked it up and he has 1 snap on the season (vs Rice). You might be thinking of someone else.

4 minutes ago, ousux said:
31 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:
QB- Probably none
DL- Swanson? 
LB- Same as edge

I don't know where your confidence Murphy doesn't go somewhere that needs a QB comes from, but I hope you're right. It's possible Quinn doesn't declare this year like many people thought he would...what are our chances of keeping the QB room exactly the same? I'd say not good, but unlike aggy wishful thinking, Arch isn't going anywhere.

I'm talking about attrition this winter. If Murphy doesn't plan on at least sticking it out through the spring to battle with Arch then why did he stay here in the first place? He could have left this past summer to start at Florida or some place.

Charles Wright seems like a guy who is just happy to be at Texas so he's probably not bolting, which is probably a good thing because he or Trey Owens might be asked to backup Arch if Murphy does bolt at some point between now and next season.

Edited by Hookem2147

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I just looked it up and he has 1 snap on the season (vs Rice). You might be thinking of someone else.

He has been playing on special teams, not sure if those snaps are being logged the same, but he was the one who roughed the punter against OU. 

Quinn’s gone, nuff said. Murphy likely sticks around to battle it out, unless Arch is already clearly superior in practice by the postseason. Maybe he can be convinced though.

I could see Wright being gone, but he’s a good locker room guy so who knows. Maybe after he graduates.

Brooks should probably go, and Sark may tell him as much. Would love to have him back. 

We’ll probably lose some OL. Was hoping we would see more Neto this year, hopefully he’ll stick it out another year. 

Aaron Bryant probably joins the DT rotation next year, I could see Swanson head back to Arizona. Other than that, lots of rotation here probably encourages more to stick around. 

Allen, Brice, and LTG could all leave and I wouldn’t be surprised. Maybe Crawford as a GT, maybe Guilbeau if he’s impatient after not playing much this year. 

Edited by Atticus
  • Hook 'Em 1