RIP Walt Garrison

Matuka

Tough, tough football player. A great name from my past. I think he was close to scoring a touchdown towards the end of a Super Bowl or playoff game and just fighting and straining trying to get across the goal. He didn't make it, but that effort and determination made the moment so dramatic and memorable. 

RIP to a Cowboy from the shiny pants days. Walt Garrison.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

RIP.  I was a big fan of his, and am still a Cowboys fan.  Once while I was in college at SHSU he pulled up in front of the Student Center while I was walking out.  He was there representing smokeless tobacco that weekend for some SHSU rodeo event.  Of course he had on wranglers, boots, big rodeo buckle, cowboy hat, etc.  He was a very stout guy.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Tough, tough football player. A great name from my past. I think he was close to scoring a touchdown towards the end of a Super Bowl or playoff game and just fighting and straining trying to get across the goal. He didn't make it, but that effort and determination made the moment so dramatic and memorable. 

RIP to a Cowboy from the shiny pants days. Walt Garrison.

I remembered several times during the good old days where his toughness was brought up by some horrific injuries he played through.  I don't remember now, but there was one interview stating how many YARDS of tape it took to keep him together to be able to play.

• Hook 'Em 2

Don Meredith speaking about Walt Garrison’s dependability, “If it was third down, and you needed four yards, if you’d get the ball to Walt Garrison, he’d get you five. And if it was third down and you needed twenty yards, if you’d get the ball to Walt Garrison, by God, he’d get you five.'”

RIP, Walt.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Had the pleasure of playing golf with him about 10 years or so ago. He shared the story of how he was gifted the license plate “Cowboy” from a gentleman that had passed.

He truly cherished the story and the license plate. JJ had offered to purchase it many times he told—it wasn’t for sale. 

Best wishes to his family and RIP

• Hook 'Em 6

Unfortunately, there's not video of it that I can find, but my father was at the '65 game OSU at Nebraska and has told me so many times how Walt Garrison almost single handedly took on the whole Nebraska defense and beat them.

https://www.huskermax.com/game/1965-oklahoma-state-football/

It really took some doing for the Huskers to win No. 9 after OSU had gone in front, 17-14, with only 5:18 left in the game. But Fred Duda launched the game-winning drive that was to sparkle with key plays.

It was Harry Wilson who came up big each time he had to — catching a 11-yard pass for a first down at midfield with a diving snare; a 11-yard run, coupled with a piling penalty to get the Huskers to the Cowboy 15; a leaping plunge on fourth down at the OSU 5 for a first down.

Pete Tatman bulldozed over from the two with 38 seconds left and Wachholtz kicked to make it 21-17, and the Huskers relaxed. But they shouldn’t have, because the Cowboys, led by great fullback Walt Garrison, drove all the way to the NU 23 before the last play of the game.

And on that one, Garrison tore 18 yards before Husker Billy Johnson brought him down at the NU 5.

1965 Nebraska-Okla. State, Garrison photoNebraska coaches George Kelly and Bob Devaney console OSU’s Walt Garrison after the game, which ended when Garrison was stopped at the Huskers’ 5.

Edited by mulletpelini
RIP Cowboy
  • Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

Unfortunately, there's not video of it that I can find, but my father was at the '65 game OSU at Nebraska and has told me so many times how Walt Garrison almost single handedly took on the whole Nebraska defense and beat them.

https://www.huskermax.com/game/1965-oklahoma-state-football/

It really took some doing for the Huskers to win No. 9 after OSU had gone in front, 17-14, with only 5:18 left in the game. But Fred Duda launched the game-winning drive that was to sparkle with key plays.

It was Harry Wilson who came up big each time he had to — catching a 11-yard pass for a first down at midfield with a diving snare; a 11-yard run, coupled with a piling penalty to get the Huskers to the Cowboy 15; a leaping plunge on fourth down at the OSU 5 for a first down.

Pete Tatman bulldozed over from the two with 38 seconds left and Wachholtz kicked to make it 21-17, and the Huskers relaxed. But they shouldn’t have, because the Cowboys, led by great fullback Walt Garrison, drove all the way to the NU 23 before the last play of the game.

And on that one, Garrison tore 18 yards before Husker Billy Johnson brought him down at the NU 5.

1965 Nebraska-Okla. State, Garrison photoNebraska coaches George Kelly and Bob Devaney console OSU’s Walt Garrison after the game, which ended when Garrison was stopped at the Huskers’ 5.

I grew up with Pete Tatman's niece and nephew in Boulder County.