Maybe we need an Argentina thread too

C-Man

7 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

For what it’s worth, my travel experience indicates it’s not really that Argentina or any other particular country has genetically better looking people than Americans.  It’s that virtually every other country isn’t morbidly obese like America is, so even average looking people abroad still seem outrageously hot by comparison just because they’re in shape. 

spacer.png

way back, 20 or 25 years ago, a guy I worked with brought his Argentina gf back with him.  Hotter than hot. She gets over here and discovers kfc 😂😂😂

she can’t stop eating it and blew up. He sent her home. Went down on another work project. Found another hot potential wife. Brings her back and it worked out much better. 

20 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

way back, 20 or 25 years ago, a guy I worked with brought his Argentina gf back with him.  Hotter than hot. She gets over here and discovers kfc 😂😂😂

she can’t stop eating it and blew up. He sent her home. Went down on another work project. Found another hot potential wife. Brings her back and it worked out much better. 

What, she discovered Popeyes instead of KFC?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

For what it’s worth, my travel experience indicates it’s not really that Argentina or any other particular country has genetically better looking people than Americans.  It’s that virtually every other country isn’t morbidly obese like America is, so even average looking people abroad still seem outrageously hot by comparison just because they’re in shape. 

spacer.png

Some truth to this but there is a definite difference in the depth of the bench as you march east on the old continent. It peaks somewhere around Warsaw or Lviv.  

• Like 1

Argentina gonna Argentina. I feel bad for the Uruguayans and gauchos brasileiros that have to deal with them.

Nobody around Argentina seems particularly fond of Argentinians. Residuals from the Campaign through the Desert killing off the natives. And the palpable sense of superiority they show to their neighbors.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nobody around Argentina seems particularly fond of Argentinians. Residuals from the Campaign through the Desert killing off the natives. And the palpable sense of superiority they show to their neighbors.

You mean being racist, pompous, dickheads to everyone in Latin America has not been a net positive for them? Oh well.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

You mean being racist, pompous, dickheads to everyone in Latin America has not been a net positive for them? Oh well.

What do you mean? It gets you elected President

...in multiple countries.

Edited by aggie08
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

So true. I remember by first impression walking around Montreal was "Gotdamn there's a fuckton of hot chicks up here". And then I noticed there really weren't any fatties. Not a single porker walking around in spandex 4X too small with their gunt spilling out like Niagara. It was a refreshing change of pace. And then my return flight to Austin connected through Houston and I had the sads. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

What do you mean? It gets you elected President
...in multiple countries.

Of course. As it did in Brazil. I am just talking about the superiority complex (based on race). I don’t mean most argentines think that way, but that seems to be the opinion of other Latin Americans. I have known a few great argentines (unfortunately haha).

Anyways, it seems this infection has spread.

2 hours ago, Boss Hogg said:

Fiery. His dogs/advisors will be pleased.  

Se acabó la joda. Some good turns of phrase. None quite so good as Wallace's "pointy-headed pseudo-intellectuals who don't have sense enough to park their bicycles," but not boring.

Apparently Spanish has no word for "outsider."

On 11/22/2023 at 6:38 PM, longhornmatt said:

Then top that off with the fact that no matter how shitty your US job may be, it pays more than a good job in her country. Worth about a 2-point (ten scale) upgrade before you even open your damn mouth.

I think cigarettes play a role in the fat/not fat stuff. At least in Europe in my limited experience. Do they all smoke in South America?  Everywhere else also seems to have nice fresh food available in modest portions where we have 1100 calorie chicken sandwiches and double bacon cheeseburgers as the easiest, cheapest meals. 

5 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I think cigarettes play a role in the fat/not fat stuff. At least in Europe in my limited experience. Do they all smoke in South America?  Everywhere else also seems to have nice fresh food available in modest portions where we have 1100 calorie chicken sandwiches and double bacon cheeseburgers as the easiest, cheapest meals. 

A couple of thoughts here as someone who lives in Europe.  Everyone smokes.  Portion sizes are smaller, they consume less meat, and you walk a lot more.  I figured all that before I came over.  The surprising one to me is that fresh produce goes bad in like 2 days max.  I could keep some grapes or salad in the fridge for 5 days at least in the States.  Here, we basically grocery shop for what we're going to eat that day or the next day because it goes bad so fast.  Less processed snacks as well.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

6 hours ago, Keef said:

A couple of thoughts here as someone who lives in Europe.  Everyone smokes.  Portion sizes are smaller, they consume less meat, and you walk a lot more.  I figured all that before I came over.  The surprising one to me is that fresh produce goes bad in like 2 days max.  I could keep some grapes or salad in the fridge for 5 days at least in the States.  Here, we basically grocery shop for what we're going to eat that day or the next day because it goes bad so fast.  Less processed snacks as well.

they eat a lot of beef down there 

• 2 weeks later...

Javier Milei was sworn in as president of Argentina on Sunday.  ...
There is no room left for a gradualist approach to work, Milei suggested. Argentina does not "have margin for sterile discussions. Our country demands action and immediate action."

Milei acknowledged that this would have negative short-term effects. "There will be stagflation, it is true," he said, "but it is not very different from what has happened in the last 12 years." And after the short term is over, he promised, "we will see the fruits of our effort, having created the base for solid and sustainable growth."

One of his first actions, Milei declared, would be a 5 percent cut in public spending. He did not share any other details in his speech, but he is expected soon to submit a wide-ranging package of reforms to the legislature. His proposals will face an uphill battle, as his party, La Libertad Avanza, has only a small number of seats.

Milei's 35-minute speech ended with a call for liberty and a return to embrace the ideas of freedom: "Just as the fall of the Berlin Wall marked the end of a tragic era for the world, these elections have marked the turning point in our history." Years of failure cannot be undone at once. But change, Milei said, "begins in a day, and today is that day."

https://reason.com/2023/12/11/javier-milei-sworn-in-as-president-of-argentina/

Argentina’s new president Javier Milei took his incoming cabinet’s oaths on Sunday afternoon at the Casa Rosada. Unlike the previous government, there were only nine new ministers instead of 18 and for the first time, the ceremony took place behind closed doors — no press, no livestream.

Earlier on Sunday the new administration revealed its first “Decree of Necessity and Urgency” (Decreto de Necesidad y Urgencia, or DNU) — a type of presidential decree which allows them to legislate without going through Congress first. The 76-page document confirmed that the Milei government is halving the number of ministries from the previous government, leaving only nine. The drastic reduction was a staple proposal of his electoral platform known as the “Chainsaw Plan.”

More:

https://buenosairesherald.com/politics/mileis-reduced-cabinet-sworn-in-without-press-present

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

In watching some Econ videos, there were previously 2 exchange rates in Argentina. The one that the govt and banks forced you to use, and the one in the underground market. This just brought the govt rate more in line with reality or at least closer to it.

This is true

As for protests, has Javier not paid attention how Argentines handle things?  Protests, pot banging, crowding the streets.  This will go over well.

DSC09536.JPG