Game Week 10: Texas at TCU

Wulaw Horn

15 minutes ago, ousux said:

Yes, and also why I think all the people here writing off Maalik as a bust are idiots. The NFL is filled with QB's I thought were hot garbage in college.

Still doesn't take away from the fact Quinn only has wins over what is now seen as a somewhat sub-par Bama (still winning in a down SEC aside) and a bad Chokelahoma team last season with no QB. Those are his only true signature wins. Of course if he comes back and plays well against the clones and sand aggy plus wins the CCG he should declare no matter what the CFB playoff committee decides. I'm simply saying it's not a given he should declare..especially if his injury drags on and ends his season. NFL GM's can be idiotic, but they will notice Quinn has 3 incomplete seasons in both HS and college, and he was being left out of the Heisman convo after the bloU loss.

Man…he beat an otherwise undefeated Alabama team in Tuscaloosa by 10 and it could have been worse.
Same Alabama team that just smoked the LSU team they lost to last year despite losing 3 first round draft picks and 8 guys in the top 3 rounds in total. Not to mention two of those guys went in the top 3 picks overall. 
Makes no sense to try and diminish that massive accomplishment by this team, especially as a fan. 

Edited by Atticus
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Man…he beat an otherwise undefeated Alabama team in Tuscaloosa by 10 and it could have been worse.
Same Alabama team that just smoked the LSU team they lost to last year despite losing 3 first round draft picks and 8 guys in the top 3 rounds in total. Not to mention two of those guys went in the top 3 picks overall. 
Makes no sense to try and diminish that massive accomplishment by this team, especially as a fan. 

Confidence will replace beaten horn syndrome soon. 

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, immamac said:

Quinn played the majority of UH and MM only came in late to hand the ball off and make like 8 throws. BYU was an ez win and kstate was a meltdown from everyone not just maalik. I get it he wasn't good last week, but he wasn't the reason the game was close. He was also responsible for the good stuff he did not just the bad. 

TCU is dogshit. They are cockroaches. They will be stomped. 

Sorry, man, but the game was put on tilt when Murphy made that stupid fucking throw early in the 4th quarter. He's fucking terrible in every aspect of being a P5 QB besides being a good teammate and being able to throw a good deep ball when he's not imagining pressure. He was the worst player on the field on Saturday for either team on either side of the ball. In short, he created the meltdown and deserves a ton of the blame for the game going in the direction it went. 

30 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I think you have to give Arch an early series this week.  If nothing else just to be able to pull MM if he starts melting down again like he did last week and not have Arch's first snaps be with the game on the line.   Obviously everyone knows MM is a pocket passer but apparently he is absolutely zero run threat.  Arch may not be ready but I feel like he can at least scramble for 5 yards when it's wide open and avoid the panic throw directly at a DB with no Texas receiver in sight.  

Regardless, rest of the team has to play better when you have a chance to put the gaem away.  Defense played great overall but if we just push the receiver out of bounds on the play right before the quarter I feel like the game never gets away from us.  Set up red zone defense there and potentially get a stop or at least make them burn some 4th quarter clock.  Instead, they start the 4th with momentum and meltdown ensues.  And obviously, J Brooks has been great for us but just cannot fumble in that situation.  MM was the biggest issue but it took numerous fuckups to almost lose that game like we did. 

Sarkisian told people that Manning was going to play in the first half of BYU. He never liked the score and held him back. I wish he'd have played him because we are staring down the barrel of needing the guy to play this weekend if Ewers can't go. Murphy cannot be allowed to pull the same shit this weekend. If he goes into turnover machine mode, they need to let Manning get some snaps, post haste.

You mentioned "zero run threat" for Murphy which is absolutely correct. I didn't look it up, but did the guy pick up a single first down on his own in either the BYU or KState game? I don't think he did. If that's the case, I can't even remember the last time a QB went two full games without picking up one first down due to breaking the pocket on a blown passing down.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, immamac said:

Confidence will replace beaten horn syndrome soon. 

It doesn't help when we have to squeak out wins against teams that we should beat convincingly. If we started blowing out teams that are clearly inferior, the battered horn syndrome would disappear for the most part.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Sorry, man, but the game was put on tilt when Murphy made that stupid fucking throw early in the 4th quarter. He's fucking terrible in every aspect of being a P5 QB besides being a good teammate and being able to throw a good deep ball when he's not imagining pressure. He was the worst player on the field on Saturday for either team on either side of the ball. In short, he created the meltdown and deserves a ton of the blame for the game going in the direction it went. 

Sarkisian told people that Manning was going to play in the first half of BYU. He never liked the score and held him back. I wish he'd have played him because we are staring down the barrel of needing the guy to play this weekend if Ewers can't go. Murphy cannot be allowed to pull the same shit this weekend. If he goes into turnover machine mode, they need to let Manning get some snaps, post haste.

You mentioned "zero run threat" for Murphy which is absolutely correct. I didn't look it up, but did the guy pick up a single first down on his own in either the BYU or KState game? I don't think he did. If that's the case, I can't even remember the last time a QB went two full games without picking up one first down due to breaking the pocket on a blown passing down.

Isn't Maalik's ankle hurt? I know sometimes you have to play through it, but between an injury and a coach that notoriously hates running the qb, I feel like this is more of a Sark call. 

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Murphy is either hurt and afraid of contact hurting him more.  Or he's not hurt and just afraid of contact.  Let's hope it's the former.

It's not just him refusing to take easy yards scrambling.  He throws the ball up for grabs when he thinks he is about to get touched.

Sucks, because our OL has pass blocked very, very well the last two games.

Edited by Frank Drebin
  • Rage+1 1

A poster referenced it earlier, but MM looked spry on a run during the spring game. I went and rewatched that run and he could move a little bit

I think it’s just a lack of awareness on his part to not take those easy yards when presented the opportunity. It could also be that he’s terrified of contact. Jogging/running is definitely easier on the back and ankles than throwing a football. 

Edited by Atticus
  • Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

So was UH.  If our starting QB and other players keep turning the ball over, we can absolutely lose to TCU.  I also don't love, that like UH, their game before was on a Thursday so they have extra prep time.

I expect to win even with Maalik because we are better.  But we better cut the turnovers out.  A couple pick sixes could cost us dearly.

UH is around 70th in FPI, barely above BYU, and yes Texas coulda blown that one. TCU is 29th, that's hardly fucking terrible. Anything like the UH game and Texas could lose, like Lubutt last year. And, Morris could be back. I know, Hoover is better because he beat up a crappy BYU team. We all know what that's worth. Morris is the better passer and definitely the better runner. Texas absolutely has to eliminate the turnovers and boneheaded penalties because TCU knows they can hold and tackle our WR's with authority.

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

10, the DB for KState (Parrish?) was the worst player on the field. We could have thrown for 100 more yards on that scrub. KSU took him out entirely for a series or two after we had burned him repeatedly.

3 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Murphy is either hurt and afraid of contact hurting him more.  Or he's not hurt and just afraid of contact.  Let's hope it's the former.

It's not just him refusing to take easy yards scrambling.  He throws the ball up for grabs when he thinks he is about to get touched.

Sucks, because our OL has pass blocked very, very well.

3 minutes ago, Atticus said:

A poster referenced it earlier, but MM looked spry on a run during the spring game. I went and rewatched that run and he could move a little bit

I think it’s just a lack of awareness on his part to not take those easy yards when presented the opportunity. Jogging/running is definitely easier on the back and ankles than throwing a football. 

The guy is naturally and more comfortable as a pocket passer.

Add to this that this is his first live action test in college.

AND the possibility of having a nagging injury.

It's likely all those factors that make him try and just do what comes naturally to him.

If he was 100% and seeing the field better, he'd maybe see the easy first downs running it.

With another week of film study, maybe he gets a couple 1st downs next week. Maybe not and it takes him flight time and a couple of years.

Who knows. 

But he is good enough to win the rest of the games / against the rest of our opponents. We haven't had a serviceable QB2 like that or a relatively easy November stretch in YEARS.

Just now, Dnaguy said:

The guy is naturally and more comfortable as a pocket passer.

Add to this that this is his first live action test in college.

AND the possibility of having a nagging injury.

It's likely all those factors that make him try and just do what comes naturally to him.

If he was 100% and seeing the field better, he'd maybe see the easy first downs running it.

With another week of film study, maybe he gets a couple 1st downs next week. Maybe not and it takes him flight time and a couple of years.

Who knows. 

But he is good enough to win the rest of the games / against the rest of our opponents. We haven't had a serviceable QB2 like that or a relatively easy November stretch in YEARS.

He's good enough to win the rest of our games because we don't play any good teams down stretch (Tech with Morton playing is the best).  But he has been awful.

Case McCoy was significantly better his first few starts his second year in program.  And he did not have this line, receivers, TE, or running backs.

Murphy has been, so far, about as terrible as Squints and Swoopes were.  Let's pray he plays a lot better this week if Ewers cannot go.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, LateAughtsHorn said:

Isn't Maalik's ankle hurt? I know sometimes you have to play through it, but between an injury and a coach that notoriously hates running the qb, I feel like this is more of a Sark call. 

No. Stop.

9 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Sucks, because our OL has pass blocked very, very well the last two games.

He's had sciatica. If he can't scramble, at all, in a P5 football game as a QB, then don't fucking play him. Sorry for the back pain, but either get your shit together and take some meds and get out there, or just say you can't go.

9 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I think it’s just a lack of awareness on his part to not take those easy yards when presented the opportunity. It could also be that he’s terrified of contact. Jogging/running is definitely easier on the back and ankles than throwing a football. 

It's weird how well some guys can play the QB position when there is no threat of contact. The spring game tells us precisely dick about Maalik Murphy. People were saying to ignore that appearance since it occurred and have been largely ignored. 

The guy has rushed for -18 yards on one carry in two starts, I just looked it up. He's imagined pressure and thrown the ball both early and off of his back foot repeatedly in both games. He's playing like he's scared of contact and it is fucking things up. Either he needs to pull it together and be a grown ass man, or just say "thanks for the scholarship" and turn over his wings. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I can't recall him scrambling and gaining a single positive yard to date.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

UH is around 70th in FPI, barely above BYU, and yes Texas coulda blown that one. TCU is 29th, that's hardly fucking terrible. Anything like the UH game and Texas could lose, like Lubutt last year. And, Morris could be back. I know, Hoover is better because he beat up a crappy BYU team. We all know what that's worth. Morris is the better passer and definitely the better runner. Texas absolutely has to eliminate the turnovers and boneheaded penalties because TCU knows they can hold and tackle our WR's with authority.

Do you actually watch the football games that are played each week for other teams? Or just read the stats and numbers and depth charts? TCU is objectively awful on defense. They have no push from the front 7. Hodge is slow and ineffective unless you run right at him. The secondary has some players but do not function as a cohesive unit. I don't know what the advanced stats are saying right now, but if they're telling you that the defense is anything but hammered shit, they're worthless.

Offensively, Morris is a below average P5 QB. Even referencing him as a concern is laughable nonsense. They have washouts at TB. Their interior OL is pure shit. Jared fucking Wiley is their best option at TE. Savion Williams is good at WR and the rest of the guys are mediocrities. 

10 minutes ago, TornACL said:

10, the DB for KState (Parrish?) was the worst player on the field. We could have thrown for 100 more yards on that scrub. KSU took him out entirely for a series or two after we had burned him repeatedly.

We're splitting hairs and I don't care to debate it. The mere fact that we're discussing the premise is an indictment enough of how fucked we are when we are depending on Murphy behind center.

• Hook 'Em 2

MM looked like a completely different QB after that first interception. I don't know if KSU changed something on the defensive side to help contribute to that but he looked serviceable until that first INT & then he looked like complete garbage afterwards. 

Just now, hook me said:

MM looked like a completely different QB after that first interception. I don't know if KSU changed something on the defensive side to help contribute to that but he looked serviceable until that first INT & then he looked like complete garbage afterwards. 

They switched from man to zone. They might as well have shown him video of them running a train on his girlfriend. He fell completely apart after the script ran through and KSU started adjusting coverages to deal with Mitchell.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

15 minutes ago, Fug said:

If Arch isn’t going to play, I’m open to watching some bizarre triple option instead. I don’t think my liver/mental health can handle another MM game.

No, we need more Wildcat with Red. That needs to be our 4th down short yardage call if Sark's going to keep going for it on 4th down.

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

They switched from man to zone. They might as well have shown him video of them running a train on his girlfriend. He fell completely apart after the script ran through and KSU started adjusting coverages to deal with Mitchell.

Well, there you go. If all it takes is running zone to wreck our offense w/ MM then we're fucked unless Ewers really is available this week. I just don't see Sark pulling MM until it's too late.

• Hook 'Em 1

We are basically the 2021 team with more talent so instead of blowing the lead officially we are able to hang on in most cases just not all.  The root of the issue is our head coach plays stupid Pac-2 football still despite the fact he's at Texas.  We need Nick Saban to come shit down his neck and tell him to fuck off with all the 4th down B$ and we don't have it.

We would be undefeated if we just played sane football and would potentially be odds on favorites to win it all.  Instead we are going to fuck around and find out wasting the golden opportunity.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

We are basically the 2021 team with more talent so instead of blowing the lead officially we are able to hang on in most cases just not all.  The root of the issue is our head coach plays stupid Pac-2 football still despite the fact he's at Texas.  We need Nick Saban to come shit down his neck and tell him to fuck off with all the 4th down B$ and we don't have it.

We would be undefeated if we just played sane football and would potentially be odds on favorites to win it all.  Instead we are going to fuck around and find out wasting the golden opportunity.

Who hurt you?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

That's an incredibly simplified take.  I'm not going to go back and look at injury situation in some of those '21 games but I'm pretty confident that if we were missing as many starters at key positions then as we are now we would never get leads to begin with because our depth was absolute shit back then.  Our depth is a ton better but still not on a level of Bama/GA obviously.

That team that beat Bama was a completely different team because we were healthy.  Biggest thing that can help this team right now is getting guys back and/or closer to 100% at QB, OL and in the secondary.

And while you are bitching about the "4th down BS" are you forgetting we scored a 50YD rushing TD with that "Fourth Down BS"?

Edited by Skipper
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Well Nick Saban had an opportunity to tell him that in Nick's own house and Sark beat the fuck out of him instead.

Let's review his 4th down playcalls during that game..

4th & 2 from the Ala 12 -> Pass to Sanders for 7 yards we wound up gaining 1 yard and had two incomplete passes to still kick the FG (needless risks early in the game)

4th & 1 from the Tex 48 -> The dumbest of all Ewers fumbled but was recovered by Brooks who got to the 50 (blind squirrel found an acorn)

4th & 2 from the Ala 48 -> Brooks for 1 yard turnover on downs (same drive as previous attempt ultimately Bama scored 5 plays later to take the lead)

I'm not saying never go for it on 4th down but he got lucky in the end it didn't jump up and bit us in the ass the way it did vs Mobilhoma.

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Do you actually watch the football games that are played each week for other teams? Or just read the stats and numbers and depth charts? TCU is objectively awful on defense. They have no push from the front 7. Hodge is slow and ineffective unless you run right at him. The secondary has some players but do not function as a cohesive unit. I don't know what the advanced stats are saying right now, but if they're telling you that the defense is anything but hammered shit, they're worthless.

Offensively, Morris is a below average P5 QB. Even referencing him as a concern is laughable nonsense. They have washouts at TB. Their interior OL is pure shit. Jared fucking Wiley is their best option at TE. Savion Williams is good at WR and the rest of the guys are mediocrities. 

We're splitting hairs and I don't care to debate it. The mere fact that we're discussing the premise is an indictment enough of how fucked we are when we are depending on Murphy behind center.

I watch, but the FPI is a much better indicator. Perhaps you aren't capable of understanding how the FPI is is calculated. The fact is Cooger High is far worse on defense than TCU, and they're not even in the same ballpark in FPI, yet people think Texas can't lose to TCU. Fucking Donovan Smith had a career day vs Texas and he's far worse than Morris. Texas has history of being in the games of most unlilkely to lose based on stats, but still lost.

Morris is #23 in QBR, yes that's a below average P5 QB, just pathetic. The 111 ranked below him must be the worst in the history of college football. So that most certainly mean Quinn Ewers is a below average QB as well as Will Howard because he's only slightly below Quinn and above Howard.

49 minutes ago, Atticus said:

He just isnt very athletic and he does not have the mind set. He had 42 carries in 14 games as a senior for 82 yards as a Senior. That 1.95 yards per carry should be a give away that Maalik isnt a runner. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Please please, but only if he's not risking re-injury. I'd rather not have him for TCU than not have him for ISU and tech. The game on the frozen tundra in Ames may be the toughest of the remaining regular season games. That true freshman QB Becco might have sucked at first, but he's starting to play pretty good. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

I watch, but the FPI is a much better indicator. Perhaps you aren't capable of understanding how the FPI is is calculated. The fact is Cooger High is far worse on defense than TCU, and they're not even in the same ballpark in FPI, yet people think Texas can't lose to TCU. Fucking Donovan Smith had a career day vs Texas and he's far worse than Morris. Texas has history of being in the games of most unlilkely to lose based on stats, but still lost.

Morris is #23 in QBR, yes that's a below average P5 QB, just pathetic. The 111 ranked below him must be the worst in the history of college football. So that most certainly mean Quinn Ewers is a below average QB as well as Will Howard because he's only slightly below Quinn and above Howard.

There are 65 P5 teams. If you would take Chandler Morris over 33 starting QBs on those 65 teams because of a QBR buoyed by Nicholls fucking State and SMU, then have at it. I mean, if you come back and say you would, you're either lying to carry your specious position forward or you really don't have any idea what in the fuck you are talking about and just stare at the data all day while the games are being played.

The last defense with a pulse that Chandler Morris played held him to a QBR below 23. This will be the best defense he has played all year, should he play, but hey, maybe he's got some serious Donovan Smith in him and you can hang your hat on that happening again. 

I'm not a strict eyeball test guy and I am not a slave to statistics. You live and die by the latter and dismiss the former. That's fine, but you can spare me the "maybe you don't understand how the FPI is calculated" nonsense. I review all of the advanced statistics. I also know that there is a very high degree of bullshit coming out of them at this point in the season if they are still factoring in last year and preseason rankings. They're all mostly full of shit on how they incorporate SOS into the advanced ratings output, too. None of them incorporate injuries either, but, hey, live and die by them. Seven Win Steve does too!

TCU is still chasing Colorado. KSU made a mockery of them. They've feasted on Nicholls State, UH and BYU, defensively. They had an excellent game against SMU on that side of the ball and SMU is a darling opponent in the advanced stats machines, including FPI, but that's a laughable issue for anyone paying attention. Texas Tech is poo and TCU was hapless against them for stretches. 

I absolutely believe that TCU can beat Texas, but they are a bleh football team. A bunch of you advanced stats honks are offering up the not-so-fast on them today, I've seen it now in articles and on 3 sites. Due to limited overall data sets, advanced stats in college football are always going to have flaws and there are teams every year that are mysteries even to the designers of the machines. If TCU is rated as anything but an absolute mediocrity this season, they are one of those teams. 

• Hook 'Em 2