Dean Phillips

Incredulity

Have heard him on 3 different podcasts over the last month.  

Did not know his family were the original importers of Belvedere Vodka and got, according to him, fucked over by Bernard Arnault and LVMH when they sold the brand to LVMH.

He is taking some big verbal shots at the DC status quo.  Interesting guy with some interesting positions.  I can't quite decipher if he is actually earnest or selling pipe dreams.

Probably has no shot fighting an incumbent, but if he can stick around(reelected) after his Presidential run and throwing shade at the D establishment he might end up prominent in the future.   

Dean Phillips doesn't understand that there are light years of difference between not being thrilled with Biden and voting for any Republican.

This used to be Jim Ramstad's district, but it has gone very blue as the suburbs have gone strongly to the DFL. 

He could have represented the western MSP suburbs for as long as he felt so inclined. Instead, he's off chasing windmills.

Just now, longhornmatt said:

I’m sure that’s what happened, and there is no other explanation.  And it’s just a coincidence that he wasn’t able to sue LVMH for fraud, or breach of contract, or anything else.  Just have to man up and take it on the chin because lawsuits are so rare and difficult to file.

Not sure what your hard-on is for this issue.

I just thought it was interesting that he and his family were part of Belvedere.  He sounded earnest in his comments, but absolutely there are always two sides to every story.

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

He is literally bitching about his family getting hundreds of millions of dollars in an arms length deal.  It wasn’t stolen from them.  LVMH originally acquired a 40% stake, and then eventually the whole company a few years later.  I assume the bitterness is over whatever caused them to not retain majority ownership and control, but it’s an exceedingly unsympathetic subject to bitch about.  LVMH paid them about $100,000,000 for the last 30% they acquired, so they probably made $300MM to $400MM overall in that awful screw job (that they voluntarily agreed to in a highly negotiated sale among rich and sophisticated parties).  Oh the horror!

https://tcbmag.com/honors/edward-jay-phillips/

Thanks for the article.  I again just took it as an interesting anecdote.  Wasn’t trying to portray him as sympathetic.

As I said in OP my perception of him went back and forth in my mind from a passionate leader to a bit unrealistic in the interviews I have heard.  Apparently you know more of his history.

9 hours ago, Incredulity said:

1. Have heard him on 3 different podcasts over the last month.  

2. Did not know his family were the original importers of Belvedere Vodka and got, according to him, fucked over by Bernard Arnault and LVMH when they sold the brand to LVMH.

3. He is taking some big verbal shots at the DC status quo.  Interesting guy with some interesting positions.  I can't quite decipher if he is actually earnest or selling pipe dreams.

4. Probably has no shot fighting an incumbent, but if he can stick around(reelected) after his Presidential run and throwing shade at the D establishment he might end up prominent in the future.   

1. Been covered.

2. Been covered.

3. No idea what this means.

4. This either.  Why is "throwing shade at the D establishment" so important?

6 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Why is "throwing shade at the D establishment" so important?

Listen to one of the podcasts and decide for yourself.  Or don’t, I could give a shit less.

He argues against the establishment and the challenges for people other than the R and D chosen few to get on primary ballots.  The exact same complaint Bernie made.

But yes this is all a ruse to convince myself to vote Trump.  You fucking people are such a beating.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I’m sure that’s what happened, and there is no other explanation.  And it’s just a coincidence that he wasn’t able to sue LVMH for fraud, or breach of contract, or anything else.  Just have to man up and take it on the chin because lawsuits are so rare and difficult to file.

How dishonest can a buyer really be?  

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Why is it always the guys worth $100 million+ raging against "the establishment" that they're absolutely part of that gives a certain type of voter boners?

I think it boils down to this:  people believe that business is more efficient than government.  They may be right in one respect in that business often has one goal, profit, that is relatively simple to attain, while government is far more complex.  But, even considering that, they tend to believe that a "bidnessman," "uncorrupted" by politics, fundraising and lobbying, can do a better job in government than a career politician.

It's a long-standing idea, see Mr. Smith Goes To Washington, 1939.

And that's before you indulge any illusions that "you" are more likely to become a wildly successful bidnessman than a nasty career politician.

• Like 4

On 11/20/2023 at 9:23 AM, Incredulity said:

He is taking some big verbal shots at the DC status quo.  Interesting guy with some interesting positions.  I can't quite decipher if he is actually earnest or selling pipe dreams.  

When thinking these thoughts, your immediate reaction should have been that he's either a grifter or a vacuous oppotunist. He's ugly Tulsi Gabbard. Noteworthy enough for a wikipedia page, and ultimately nothing more.

2 hours ago, Bookman said:

Who the fuck is Dean Phillips?

Phillips graduated from Brown University in 1991 and is a member of the Sigma Chi fraternity. He worked for bicycle equipment and apparel company InMotion for two years, and then joined his family's company's corporate office. He later completed his Master of Business Administration at the University of Minnesota's Carlson School of Management in 2000. After graduation, he was named the president and CEO of his family's organization, Phillips Distilling Company.[11]

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

Goddamn the struggles that poor bastard had to endure. Imagine the deflating malaise he experienced clocking in daily at InMotion during those early years, certain he would never become CEO......because he was already slated to be handed the CEO gig in the family business. It's an inspirational story that must resonate with sigma chi's eveywhere.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Blotto said:

Goddamn the struggles that poor bastard had to endure. Imagine the deflating malaise he experienced clocking in daily at InMotion during those early years, certain he would never become CEO......because he was already slated to be handed the CEO gig in the family business. It's an inspirational story that must resonate with sigma chi's eveywhere.

He did have to go to the worst of the Ivies not named Cornell, though. Probably was pretty embarrassing to his family those 5.5 years around the yacht club when they had to discuss where little Phil and Johnny and Susie were all matriculating.

50 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Also, for some reason they seem to think the good "businessmen" are the dipshit trust fund baby sons and grandsons (or great great great great great ad infinitum grandsons) of the person who actually accomplished something that wasn't an inheritance.  

I saw a clip once where Dave Chapelle was explaining, in his opinion, the moment that Donald Trump became the cult of personality that he became and it made me think of your post. It's not that they are good businessmen in that they can build a business, get traction, product market fit, make money, scale, etc. It's that they know how to navigate banks, finance, contracts, lawyers, laws, etc. in ways that only having a war chest of money allows.

Common clay (e.g. morons) viscerally know there are things stacked against them and to hear someone from outside the establishment talk about it makes folks feel validated and like they aren't beholden the same way that born-and-raised politicians are:

Edited by BeardIP

16 hours ago, Blotto said:

Not to mention the indignity of going from Ivy League Brown to humble U. of Minnesota.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/20/2023 at 7:02 PM, Incredulity said:

Listen to one of the podcasts and decide for yourself.  Or don’t, I could give a shit less.

He argues against the establishment and the challenges for people other than the R and D chosen few to get on primary ballots.  The exact same complaint Bernie made.

But yes this is all a ruse to convince myself to vote Trump.  You fucking people are such a beating.

To be fair, any strong man gets incee’s pussy wet.

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Dubya had to settle for Harvard - he probably couldn't get into UT's MBA program.

Actually I think that is what it was-- he got rejected from UT and didn't Harvard. Crazy!

After being rejected from the University of Texas Law School, Bush was accepted at Harvard Business School, where he graduated in 1975.

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2000/3/7/on-the-issues-george-w-bush/

• Haha 1

On 11/20/2023 at 7:02 PM, Incredulity said:

So I assume you’re in favor of ranked choice voting? It’s about overcoming the establishment right?

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

people believe that business is more efficient than government. 

People believe it because Republicans have been firehosing that propaganda into its base for decades while simultaneously voting to defund the government 

Businesses also fail without any capital. 

The US military is the best in the world because we spend the most. Before anyone chimes in with, but, but, but the military is so inefficient. So are businesses.  Was it efficient for Zuck to light a couple billion on fire for metaverse? Or Musk to lose 20 billion on Twitter? Bezos on Blue Origin? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

People believe it because Republicans have been firehosing that propaganda into its base for decades while simultaneously voting to defund the government 

Businesses also fail without any capital. 

The US military is the best in the world because we spend the most. Before anyone chimes in with, but, but, but the military is so inefficient. So are businesses.  Was it efficient for Zuck to light a couple billion on fire for metaverse? Or Musk to lose 20 billion on Twitter? Bezos on Blue Origin? 

I think the difference is that businesses are supposed to (I know it's not always perfectly true with bail outs, too big to fail, etc.) either make a profit or fail, on the balance. So businesses are more "efficient" with capital allocation that brings a return from investments (again, on the balance) over a government.

I think that is what people are saying when they say that-- they are saying (and I'll just make up numbers to conceptualize the point): $1 spent with a private business will bring in $3 in return value whereas $1 spent by the government will bring in $0.50.

Edited by BeardIP
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Incredulity said:

The fuck are you babbling about?

I posted an accurate picture of the motivation behind this thread. An OP that basically said, I’ve seen this dude on YouTube. He’s really neat. He has beliefs! He could someday become a thing.

Since you don’t think it important to define what positions he takes, only the power he might one day achieve, I think he makes your pussy wet. I could say he makes your dick hard, but we have established you lack the testicular fortitude for that feat.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

I posted an accurate picture of the motivation behind this thread. An OP that basically said, I’ve seen this dude on YouTube. He’s really neat. He has beliefs! He could someday become a thing.

Since you don’t think it important to define what positions he takes, only the power he might one day achieve, I think he makes your pussy wet. I could say he makes your dick hard, but we have established you lack the testicular fortitude for that feat.

Seek help.

I said literally none of that.  Your fascination with my genitals is fucking weird.  I take it you’re upset that I called you out for posting a homophobic slur at me. Moving from calling people queer to eunuch is really emblematic of your obvious lack of any real morals .  Yet you constantly preen as an enlightened leftist.  Typical.

On 11/21/2023 at 8:44 PM, TwiceHorn said:

I think it boils down to this:  people believe that business is more efficient than government.  They may be right in one respect in that business often has one goal, profit, that is relatively simple to attain, while government is far more complex.  But, even considering that, they tend to believe that a "bidnessman," "uncorrupted" by politics, fundraising and lobbying, can do a better job in government than a career politician.

It's a long-standing idea, see Mr. Smith Goes To Washington, 1939.

And that's before you indulge any illusions that "you" are more likely to become a wildly successful bidnessman than a nasty career politician.

You can make a ton of money offering to consult and teach the government how to do things like a business and it’s a never ending grift because none of the processes you implement survive first contact with the stubborn fact that government isn’t a business. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Seek help.

I said literally none of that.  Your fascination with my genitals is fucking weird.  I take it you’re upset that I called you out for posting a homophobic slur at me. Moving from calling people queer to eunuch is really emblematic of your obvious lack of any real morals .  Yet you constantly preen as an enlightened leftist.  Typical.

The inability to concede an obvious point is the act I called nutless. In a Darwinian world, you are muledick. 

It is a common trait among the right, though, as is ignoring the issue once it has been raised. For example, I never called you gay, or queer, just noted you are a servile, bootlicking, joke of a U.S. citizen, and wondered what you do with your hands when you gargle authoritarian dick. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2