US/Canada border near Niagara Falls explosion

Wally Fairway

Damn that border crossing with Canada

Explosion at Rainbow Bridge | wgrz.com

Vehicle explosion at Rainbow Bridge closes all WNY border crossing between U.S., Canada | News 4 Buffalo (wivb.com)

IAGARA FALLS, N.Y. (WIVB) – All four international border crossings between the United States and Canada in Western New York were closed Wednesday due to a “vehicle explosion” at the Rainbow Bridge.

The City of Niagara Falls said the incident involved a vehicle attempting to enter the U.S. The FBI Buffalo Field Office termed the incident an explosion. Thick smoke could be seen in a viewer video from the scene.

The Rainbow Bridge connects the cities of Niagara Falls, USA and Niagara Falls, Canada. The bridge is located less than a mile from the world-renowned waterfalls and offers views of the natural wonder.

ADVERTISING

The Peace Bridge, Lewiston-Queenston Bridge, Whirlpool Bridge, and Rainbow Bridge are all closed in both directions, according to the general manager of the Peace Bridge, Ron Reinas. 

The City of Niagara Falls said federal authorities are investigating the situation. The FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force and New York State Police are monitoring all points of entry to New York, Gov. Kathy Hochul said, adding that she is heading to Western New York.

Travel is expected to be high Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving.

• Hook 'Em 1

In 2005, we was coming back across and detained at that border patrol office.  My 5 year old daughter was in the back of the car, and we were questioned if the child was ours.  My ex and I are scrambling to come up with baby photos, etc but we didn't really have "proof" she was our child.  It took 15-20 minutes for them to finally believe us that we were just tourists who went to Canada and were coming back across with our kid.  This was pre-passport days, so we didn't have those either.

Edited by Francisco 2.0

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Two guys in a car with US plates tried to drive some explosives from this country into another country and they ‘sploded?   This should make for some fascinating holiday talk tomorrow.  Start drinking now.  

Maybe they should build a wall

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

The real question is: did anyone else make it through the crossing earlier? With all the parades and such it’s a big target. Ughhh…and here I thought the only explosions would be people blowing up on each other at the dinner table tomorrow. 

Yeah, this is the question.  Whatever happened on that bridge, it wasn't the target.  NYC, with the parade, makes a lot more sense.  So, how many other trucks, if any, were there...?

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, this is the question.  Whatever happened on that bridge, it wasn't the target.  NYC, with the parade, makes a lot more sense.  So, how many other trucks, if any, were there...?

Pretty much. Anyone else can’t get through that way now. They must have hit a pothole or something? So if anyone else got through? Smdh…meanwhile at my mom’s house we will all be in sitting around waiting for someone to say the wrong thing and boom. Every fucking year. It just doesn’t make the news. Happy Thanksgiving Eve! This year we are grilling ribeyes, having loaded bakers and salad. And at some point the food will be eaten and the pent up frustration begins. I usually wind up doing all the dishes. Good fucking times! 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say none. The fact these idiots blew themselves up screams lone wolves. 

30 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

The real question is: did anyone else make it through the crossing earlier? With all the parades and such it’s a big target. Ughhh…and here I thought the only explosions would be people blowing up on each other at the dinner table tomorrow. 

26 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

They were traveling from the US to Canada.

I don't know shit about fuck, but it seems weird they were going INTO Canada, per the initial report. Looking at that video, it looks like the area past the guard shack they blew up is a holding area or something. I wonder if they got stopped, told to go "over there" for additional screening and figured the jig was up, and decided to try to take out a few infidels rather than getting arrested?

1 minute ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I don't know shit about fuck, but it seems weird they were going INTO Canada, per the initial report. Looking at that video, it looks like the area past the guard shack they blew up is a holding area or something. I wonder if they got stopped, told to go "over there" for additional screening and figured the jig was up, and decided to try to take out a few infidels rather than getting arrested?

Lots of rumors that they were going at a high rate of speed and swerved around other cars.

• Haha 1

This is what CNN is reporting:

Car exploded on its way to secondary search at the US-Canada border, sources say
From CNN's John Miller

Multiple law enforcement sources said that shortly before noon on Wednesday, a car coming from the Canadian side of the border with the US exploded after it was heading toward a secondary search area.

The car was on the Rainbow Bridge that connects Canada to New York and went through an initial checkpoint where identification documents are examined before the explosion occurred.

Authorities do not know what caused the explosion. The FBI, New York State Police and US Customs and Border Protection are on the scene investigating.

Federal authorities are trying to retrieve video from a number of different angles because the statements from witnesses vary, the sources said. 

Sources said there were no serious injuries except to those who were in the car, reportedly two men. 

41 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Well, if Buffalo were to be blown up, would anyone notice the difference?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It looks like they had another target within the US but after being stopped at the border they intentionally blew up their vehicle rather than be searched/taken in for questioning.  https://abcnews.go.com/US/rainbow-bridge-us-canada-closed-explosion-sources/story?id=105102476&fbclid=IwAR2X0OBqIQroUyhj8VRFZv7IlqAHCeMX4T2B1dy1oIhf0U2MZ-AIvJFUSgo

The Niagara Falls mayor's office said the incident involved a vehicle crossing into the U.S. from Canada.

Surveillance video showed the vehicle stopped at an initial security checkpoint, according to sources briefed on the investigation. The vehicle was then directed to a secondary security checkpoint, and at that point the vehicle sped up and crashed into the secondary screening location, sources said.

22 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

14 minutes ago, bolverk said:

This is what CNN is reporting:

Car exploded on its way to secondary search at the US-Canada border, sources say
From CNN's John Miller

Multiple law enforcement sources said that shortly before noon on Wednesday, a car coming from the Canadian side of the border with the US exploded after it was heading toward a secondary search area.

The car was on the Rainbow Bridge that connects Canada to New York and went through an initial checkpoint where identification documents are examined before the explosion occurred.

Authorities do not know what caused the explosion. The FBI, New York State Police and US Customs and Border Protection are on the scene investigating.

Federal authorities are trying to retrieve video from a number of different angles because the statements from witnesses vary, the sources said. 

Sources said there were no serious injuries except to those who were in the car, reportedly two men. 

10 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

It looks like they had another target within the US but after being stopped at the border they intentionally blew up their vehicle rather than be searched/taken in for questioning.  https://abcnews.go.com/US/rainbow-bridge-us-canada-closed-explosion-sources/story?id=105102476&fbclid=IwAR2X0OBqIQroUyhj8VRFZv7IlqAHCeMX4T2B1dy1oIhf0U2MZ-AIvJFUSgo

The Niagara Falls mayor's office said the incident involved a vehicle crossing into the U.S. from Canada.

Surveillance video showed the vehicle stopped at an initial security checkpoint, according to sources briefed on the investigation. The vehicle was then directed to a secondary security checkpoint, and at that point the vehicle sped up and crashed into the secondary screening location, sources said.

As I was saying...