Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

Did you fucks expect a 6-episode long battle for the final season? Last season the complaint was things moved too fast, people teleported around Westeros, etc. now the complaint is it moves too slow, even through the first two episodes have shown the north preparing for literally the biggest battle of the series. 

That would be nice.  

But c'mon...one death in 2 episodes? I was waiting for Jaimie to behead Brienne when he was going to knight her to get this season going

I binged the first seven seasons all at once last year, so this is the first time I've been able to partake in these threads in real time.  Y'all are some miserable bastards.

As soon as the episode runtimes leaked, anyone with a functioning brain should have known nothing serious was going to go down until Episode 3.  Personally, I'm okay with 25% of the season's minutes leading up to a presumably batshit 4 episode finale, especially when some of these conversations are bound to explain decisions made over these next few weeks.  I know that the poor fanbase has now had to endure THREE WHOLE EPISODES since the last major battle, but most of the people complaining right now would also have complained if they jumped right into war without touching on the human element of 95% of the shows character suddenly being in the same location, some meeting for the first time. 

Two thoughts:

1. Tormund is in the conversation for best character on TV.

2. Anyone complaining about the Brienne knighting scene is too far gone to be taken seriously.  I get the desire for bloodlust, but that scene (the motives, reactions, buildup, etc) was damn near perfect and I suspect will be looked back on as one of the classic sequences of this show.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Like 7
  • Fuck You 1

I found it odd while at the council of war no one felt it necessary to mention that the Night King has a fucking zombie dragon. 

Might be a useful piece of information for ole Reek and his band of salty dogs as they prep for a last stand round the Weirwood tree.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Given the scarce time left in the series, why dedicate all that time to Brienne getting knighted? 

What the fuck do you watch the show to see?  Next week when nearly everyone dies you idiots will all be bitching about how too many people died too quickly. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

.Two thoughts:

1. Tormund is in the conversation for best character on TV.

2. Anyone complaining about the Brienne knighting scene is too far gone to be taken seriously.  I get the desire for bloodlust, but that scene (the motives, reactions, buildup, etc) was damn near perfect and I suspect will be looked back on as one of the classic sequences of this show.

I don't watch much tv, but surely 1 cannot be true.  Is tv really that awful these days?  As for 2, who gives a fuck if Brienne is knighted?  That come off as some lame ass white feminist bullshit.

• Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

Jesus. It's like some of you have never read a book without pictures in it.

If you didn't like this or the first episode, are whining about the pace, or the fact that characters are acting like (shocking!) their characters... You should probably think about just quitting now and go watch something else.

Might I suggest an episode of "Barney", or...
i-know-lets-have-a-spelling-contest-28356935.png

This.  I’d hate to be so miserable and negative as to not see some of the beauty in last night’s episode.  I mean, I guess there is an audience out there that needs a battle every episode. I’ll also repeat that if the North/Dany tensions, and the reactions given the various revelations, don’t seem earned, I am not sure what show you have been watching.  

1 minute ago, A-Tex Devil said:

This.  I’d hate to be so miserable and negative as to not see some of the beauty in last night’s episode.  I mean, I guess there is an audience out there that needs a battle every episode. I’ll also repeat that if the North/Dany tensions, and the reactions given the various revelations, don’t seem earned, I am not sure what show you have been watching.  

Agree that the episode was solid and a significant improvement over Episode 1.  It is interesting to see all of these badasses reckoning with what they believe is their last night alive.

I'm confused why so many think that Dany's actions are somehow out of character.  It's not what we like about her, but she has been an entitled cunt the entire series.  The only difference is that now it is being directed at other protagonists.  She is hot, and has an endearing good side to her, but has always had a chip on her shoulder about her authority being challenged.

Arya's weapon looks like a dragon glass enhanced version of the staff she used in Braavos, so I guess fighting in the dark is an option.  Can the dead see in the dark?  I had to go back and look at screen caps of the sketch, because I was expecting something else.  She is a better assassin than artist.  I guess Needle isn't really going to be effective against the dead. 

If bastards have no legitimate claim to the Iron Throne, then why was it important to kill off all of Robert's in Season 1?

I thought Melisandre would have a role to play in the Great War.  I guess not.  I wonder if we have seen her for the last time?   

Bronn not showing up in S8E2 tells me that Jamie and Tyrion likely survive the battle.  If not, then what the fuck was the point of his appearance in S8E1?

Too bad Theon is only equipped to satisfy Sansa's emotional needs.  Maybe he should consult Grey Worm on how to make the best of it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

so please, spare me the ubiquitous "anyone who didn't like this episode only likes explosions and car chases" crap that happens every time anyone on the internet doesn't like a slow episode. you don't become fanatical about this show without appreciating a ton of dialogue. it's simply that we've had allllllllllll of this buildup, and it's fallen completely flat two weeks in a row, and it has very little to do with action/dialogue balance. it's about a lack of substance. 

or don't. how about half the respondents on this page all make this exact same idiotic statement based on absolutely nothing but your own hurt feelings that others didn't like the episode. you guys are SO much worse than anyone who didn't like the episode because a)whenever you realize it or not you all react as if you're trying to impersonate me at my worst- hypersensitive, reactive, and belligerent, and b)most you don't even attempt to discuss any of the totally valid reasons that people didn't like the episode, you just repeat the same, "sorry there weren't more explosions maybe you should go watch a michael bay movie" crap.

brass tacks- a die hard GoT fan could skip these first two episodes and they would have missed essentially nothing. that's as simple and damning as i can say it. has nothing to do with a lack of fighting.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Fuck You 8

5 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

a die hard GoT fan could skip these first two episodes and they would have missed essentially nothing. that's as simple and damning as i can say it. has nothing to do with a lack of fighting.

This is where I'm at. We are now 1/3 of the way thru the final season without any material advancement in the storyline. Now have to cram the resolution of 8 seasons into 4 episodes. 

5 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

This is where I'm at. We are now 1/3 of the way thru the final season without any material advancement in the storyline. Now have to cram the resolution of 8 seasons into 4 episodes. 

May be less to resolve than we think depending on who dies next week

I think one thing this show is missing now is a good villain.  The books and the earlier seasons of the show were quite good at creating characters you couldn't help but despise, but now they are all dead or made peripheral for the time being.  Can't really hate the night king and his minions as he doesn't really have a character - he might as well be a force of nature or a terminator.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

If bastards have no legitimate claim to the Iron Throne, then why was it important to kill off all of Robert's in Season 1?

They were evidence that Joffrey et al were not Robert’s kids (and not rightful heirs) because all had Baratheon traits that were dominant genes for lack of a better term.  If all of Robert’s bastards had hair like him, then Cersei’s blonde children weren’t his. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

They were evidence that Joffrey et al were not Robert’s kids (and not rightful heirs) because all had Baratheon traits that were dominant genes for lack of a better term.  If all of Robert’s bastards had hair like him, then Cersei’s blonde children weren’t his. 

That's right...I had forgotten that.  Thanks.

7 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

That arc also helped solidify Joffrey's 1) unethical ruthlessness (having babies slaughtered) and 2) complete lack of understanding of how to play political games.  It also showed Cersei was loosing her perceived control over him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hornian said:

Uh, first season, when he had to kill a zombie in Castle Black. 

While he is a Targaryen, he is definitely more Stark looks wise - it might make sense part of the story arc is that Dany is more of a 'true' dragon than Jon regardless of primogeniture.

7 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

This was not a throwback episode, this was a "how can we make sure that literally every living character gets 3 minutes of dialogue in this episode while our fans continue to wait for the dead to arrive." just because it was dialogue heavy doesn't mean it was similar to the early seasons, or that it was any good. it was a bunch of useless filler and an epic letdown after such a long wait for this season to arrive. you can sum up all of the progress we've made in this season in 2-3 sentences.

-Jon and Dany know who Jon is

-We know the NK's motivation now

thats it. that's what we've gotten from the first 1/3 of the final season of this show. i could have skipped these first two episodes altogether and have missed nothing. 

1st off, I agree 100% that both the first two episodes have been meh for those that only watch the show for battles and don't give a shit about the characters and their stories. 

Yes, a lot of people love the show for the action but just as many if not more love the characters. Neither side is right or wrong both just need to realize that like everything else there can be multiple reasons why someone can love a show. 

The episode was a victory lap for a ton of characters that are probably going to see little to no dialog or closure before they get their head's ripped off in a intense battle that won't give any time for the viewer to process the death or complete their story because it will be in the middle of an epic battle. 

The writers were in a no win situation and someone is always going to bitch about how they finished it. 

If they had a 6 episode battle, people would bitch they didn't get the closure on their favorite characters and vice versa those of us that love the fight scenes and action are going to be pissed that they had a couple of set up episodes to give fans that love everything else about the show something to enjoy. 

We aren't talking about extras dying in mass we are assuming that a ton of characters that people know and love will be seeing their demise in the next couple of episodes.  

Bottom line would I have done the first two episodes a little different? probably but I also understand why they did what they did, and don't have a problem with it. 

• Like 8

The episode lacked energy. Mood and tone are important and this lacked.   I think that’s the best way I could put it.  They could have the same thing with some frenetic preparations and some people melting down thinking of their imminent worse-than-death fate.  Maybe some intrigue from some local lord refusing to bring his troops to winterfell.  All sorts of options instead of sitting around casual chatting and dishing soup.  

A few questions---how telling is it about Danaerys and her motivations that her first thought when Jon drops the big news on her is about how he knows and who else knows and why that's so convenient for him...when I would think any rational person would have been to at least process how incestuous their relationship is/was.? All I could think of when she was interrogating Jon was her telling Sansa how much she loves her brother.  

Anyway-can greyscale be spread to White Walkers?  

Finally-yeah, what the fuck with nobody at Winterfell talking about the third dragon?  Or does nobody know it exists?  They've seen horses and bears and who knows what else that have been revived by the Night King...shouldn't they be worried about at least the possibility of revived dragon?  Maybe they could get Bron to get up there with that cool harpoon wagon deal he used awhile back.  Otherwise, it'll be up to the other two dragons (presumably with Jon and Dany) to take him out in aerial combat.  My worry there though is some kind of corny scene with the two dragons shouting to the undead dragon, "There's still good in you!  I see it!  Fight, dammit, fight!"  

1 hour ago, smuggs said:

I found it odd while at the council of war no one felt it necessary to mention that the Night King has a fucking zombie dragon. 

Might be a useful piece of information for ole Reek and his band of salty dogs as they prep for a last stand round the Weirwood tree.

Same here. In fact, zero mention of any dragons - good or bad - in the whole episode. Kinda seems like that should be part of the plan.

59 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

I'm confused why so many think that Dany's actions are somehow out of character.  It's not what we like about her, but she has been an entitled cunt the entire series.  The only difference is that now it is being directed at other protagonists.  She is hot, and has an endearing good side to her, but has always had a chip on her shoulder about her authority being challenged.

Arya's weapon looks like a dragon glass enhanced version of the staff she used in Braavos, so I guess fighting in the dark is an option.  Can the dead see in the dark?  I had to go back and look at screen caps of the sketch, because I was expecting something else.  She is a better assassin than artist.  I guess Needle isn't really going to be effective against the dead. 

I thought Melisandre would have a role to play in the Great War.  I guess not.  I wonder if we have seen her for the last time?   

Bronn not showing up in S8E2 tells me that Jamie and Tyrion likely survive the battle.  If not, then what the fuck was the point of his appearance in S8E1?

Too bad Theon is only equipped to satisfy Sansa's emotional needs.  Maybe he should consult Grey Worm on how to make the best of it. 

Agree with you about Dany. They've been hinting at her heel turn the entire series. She's always had this attitude of I deserve to be the queen just because of my last name damn it.

They heavily implied last season that Melisandre would be back. She told Varys (how did we not get at least one scene with him in this episode btw?) that they would both die in Westeros. I kinda forgot about her TBH.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

as i said, episode one of this season was probably the most highly anticipated TV episode since the BB finale, and was likely one of the most highly anticipated TV episodes of all time. Same goes for this entire season. And thus far, through 1/3 of the final season, you could have skipped both episodes and missed virtually nothing of import. the story has not advanced.

so please, spare me the ubiquitous "anyone who didn't like this episode only likes explosions and car chases" crap that happens every time anyone on the internet doesn't like a slow episode. you don't become fanatical about this show without appreciating a ton of dialogue. it's simply that we've had allllllllllll of this buildup, and it's fallen completely flat two weeks in a row, and it has very little to do with action/dialogue balance. it's about a lack of substance. 

51 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

or don't. how about half the respondents on this page all make this exact same idiotic statement based on absolutely nothing but your own hurt feelings that others didn't like the episode. you guys are SO much worse than anyone who didn't like the episode because a)whenever you realize it or not you all react as if you're trying to impersonate me at my worst- hypersensitive, reactive, and belligerent, and b)most you don't even attempt to discuss any of the totally valid reasons that people didn't like the episode, you just repeat the same, "sorry there weren't more explosions maybe you should go watch a michael bay movie" crap.

brass tacks- a die hard GoT fan could skip these first two episodes and they would have missed essentially nothing. that's as simple and damning as i can say it. has nothing to do with a lack of fighting.

Herrrrrr, derrrrrrrrrrr, I need fights and chase scenes or I can't watch a show! And give me some gotdamn titties, too, motherfuckers!!!! I want to see cars crashing into boats and mountains of dead people with spears and swords protruding out of the pile or that fucking episode sucked! 

You are the voice for this entire group, Derka. You're the King of the Dorks on this thread, congrats. 

44 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

What kind of "material advancement" did you goobers imagine was going to take place ahead of the Battle of Winterfell? The entire story has "materially advanced" right up to this fucking point.

They were rounding out multiple character arcs in the first two episodes. Half of the show's main characters will be dead after E3, and then what is left will face south. There's nothing left to advance. 1) Have characters say goodbye, basically; 2) Battle of Winterfell; 3) Plan trek south/Show Cersei plotting and Mountain stepping menacingly; 4) Battle of King's Landing; 5) Someone new sits on the Iron Throne, conflicted and not altogether perfect; 6) Show White Walker rising somewhere far off in the snow; 7) Fade to black. That's it. The only twists left are who fucking survives and how some of them die. Dany isn't "turning heel". The WWs aren't going to win. Bran isn't the fucking Night King. 

14 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Yes, it is much more embarrassing for someone to muse whimsically about a tv show’s possible endings than it is for someone to get off on proclaiming to strangers on the internet that he knows more non-public information than they do about where 17 year old boys plan to go to college.  I am sufficiently shamed about my message board habits now that you have weighed in.

If I had the hawt take working that Danaerys Targaryan was about to turn full heel, when called on it, I'd probably throw out red herrings in a retreat as well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This episode was better than the opener, but Derka has a point - we've spent 120 minutes on setup in a finale season with only 4 episodes left.  Much of this either needed to skipped, condensed, or pushed into the prior (shortened) season.  It was D&D that bizarrely decided to condense the final two seasons down to a total of 13 episodes, when they really should have been 10 each.  With 20 episodes, all this setup is fine for building tension and completing story arcs.  But with precious few episodes left, we're devoting a ton of screen time to, honestly, some pretty cheesy and cliched writing.  Hate the fat man all you went, but there's no way he writes most of these scenes (dragon riding to the cave, we all meet by the fire and reminisce, etc.).  

Frankly, I think D&D are doing the best they can, which is limited without the fat man.  They were given the rough outline, but they really don't know how to fill in the blanks.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

A few questions---how telling is it about Danaerys and her motivations that her first thought when Jon drops the big news on her is about how he knows and who else knows and why that's so convenient for him...when I would think any rational person would have been to at least process how incestuous their relationship is/was.? All I could think of when she was interrogating Jon was her telling Sansa how much she loves her brother.  

Anyway-can greyscale be spread to White Walkers?  

Finally-yeah, what the fuck with nobody at Winterfell talking about the third dragon?  Or does nobody know it exists?  They've seen horses and bears and who knows what else that have been revived by the Night King...shouldn't they be worried about at least the possibility of revived dragon?  Maybe they could get Bron to get up there with that cool harpoon wagon deal he used awhile back.  Otherwise, it'll be up to the other two dragons (presumably with Jon and Dany) to take him out in aerial combat.  My worry there though is some kind of corny scene with the two dragons shouting to the undead dragon, "There's still good in you!  I see it!  Fight, dammit, fight!"  

Her whole existence for several years now has been regaining the Iron Throne. She believed (with good reason) that she was the rightful heir and made a shitload of awful sacrifices to get to this point. I don't think that the incest thing is really as big a deal in the show's universe as it is out here in the real world. The Targaryens ruled Westeros for centuries while marrying their siblings and no one seemed to mind much. Remember at one point it was suggested that Sansa should marry Robin Arryn, who is her first cousin. I've never felt like aunt-nephew incest was really going to be a big deal in the show.

They have to know the ice dragon exists because it burned through the wall, right? I don't really remember but I think there were Night's Watch dudes close enough to witness that, and even if there weren't surely they can put two and two together.

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread