Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

Just a quick point about the people (both on this thread and elsewhere) bitching that the walkers should have been in on the fighting, we should have had a long drawn out fight scene with Jon and a walker, blah blah blah. 

I swear half you fuckers watch this show while scrolling twitter or something. 

Samwell fucking Tarly killed a white walker. 

Jons fight with a white walker lasted 5 seconds after he got his sword back. What, are we supposed to buy into Jon losing his sword (in)conveniently as a walker strolls up? Would that have been good writing, to give us the exact same scenario again?

every mother fucker up there had a dragon glass weapon. Once that secret was out, the only play was to overwhelm with numbers of dead. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elguapo said:

Either Jamie or Tyrion are killing Cersei, my $ is on Jamie.

Mine, too.  This show is big on redemption and betrayal.

But what if no one kills Cersei?  I don't think there's any way they're doing this, but an ending I'd appreciate is Cersei on the throne after more ruthless cunning, Jon dead, and Dany dying while birthing Jon's son as the legitimate heir who has to be hidden away for his own safety.  Full circle.  It doesn't have to have a happy ending.

13 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

This post perfectly encapsulates this thread, and its frustrating that the one faction of posters causing all of this consternation doesn't see it. You listened to a podcast whose opinion you agreed with- y'all think that episode was transcendent TV. I on the other hand share an opinion with the myriad of articles and podcasts and vloggers and surly posters who weren't blown away by the episode, who think it was the worst of the big battle episodes, and who feel very strongly that this episode strayed away from the very formula which made GoT great to begin with- that it more resembles a traditional bit TV/Hollywood battle scene/episode. 

The only difference is that the faction you represent absolutely cannot handle hearing and even want to disallow anyone else's opinion that doesn't match yours. "What do y'all have to be so fucking negative?!" "Why do y'all even watch?!" "Ugh, get out of this thread!" (<- actual quotes from the last page or two) Whereas those of us who don't agree with you are simply like, "Well you're all entitled to your opinion, but my opinion is different and here are my reasons why."

Its quite frustrating and yet also fascinating that the contentious, combative, belligerent faction of this thread thinks that it's the other faction that needs to be reprimanded/banned from the thread/blocked from voicing their opinion. everyone is allowed to have his/her own opinion, and it's nobody's fault but your own if you can't handle that.

Look, no one is saying the episode was without flaws, and that the writing hasn't been as tight as HBO attempts to cram two season's of content into six episodes.  It's just that fans of the show don't like to constantly read negative shit about something they love.  It's not your opinions that are the problem.  It's how you present them.  You completely ignore all the good things and only focus on what you didn't like, as though there were no redeeming qualities in the episode at all.  And then you repeat it, and repeat it, and repeat it, and repeat it, and act like we only aren't agreeing with you because it is you.  Are you able to keep a straight face when you call out other posters for being intolerant of differing opinions?  You are Steven A Smith.  There can be a lot of truth in the things you say, but the message gets completely lost in the delivery, and I'm switching over to the tampon commercial on Lifetime rather than listening to that shit. 

Let me put it another way.  Pretend Game of Thrones is Rick Barnes.   

Edited by idigTexas
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

His arrows had dragon glass heads. 

I think he is referring to Theon swinging the bow at wights when he was out of arrows.  I don't know why this would be a sticking point.  We have seen over the seasons that wights can be taken out with conventional weapons, but they would only be mostly dead, and could be re-raised by the Night King.  I don't think Theon would stop to think about the consequences at that point. 

20 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

I think he is referring to Theon swinging the bow at wights when he was out of arrows.  I don't know why this would be a sticking point.  We have seen over the seasons that wights can be taken out with conventional weapons, but they would only be mostly dead, and could be re-raised by the Night King.  I don't think Theon would stop to think about the consequences at that point. 

It’s just another unnecessary thing to whine about.  

10 hours ago, heso said:

Just a quick point about the people (both on this thread and elsewhere) bitching that the walkers should have been in on the fighting, we should have had a long drawn out fight scene with Jon and a walker, blah blah blah. 

I swear half you fuckers watch this show while scrolling twitter or something. 

Samwell fucking Tarly killed a white walker. 

Jons fight with a white walker lasted 5 seconds after he got his sword back. What, are we supposed to buy into Jon losing his sword (in)conveniently as a walker strolls up? Would that have been good writing, to give us the exact same scenario again?

Ah yes, the superior display of creative writing was to have them menacingly enter the Winterfell gates and do absolutely nothing. 

Spitballing here: 

- Having lost some homies to Valeryian steel, the white walkers are now heavily armored.

- The white walkers have attained archery skills and/or have trained a company of undead archers.

- The white walkers actually use their undead horses not just as a bony barstool but in an organized cavalry attack.

- The white walkers do something, anything, that might add to the entertainment value of their final appearance in this series of which they have been a part of since Episode 1.

10 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

So is the Jon yelling go thing just a theory, or is that from the show runners?  Seems if that was their intent they wouldn't be so subtle about it.

I think it’s a theory. I watch with subtitles on - and that was not included in the subtitles. 

1 hour ago, smuggs said:

Ah yes, the superior display of creative writing was to have them menacingly enter the Winterfell gates and do absolutely nothing. 

Spitballing here: 

- Having lost some homies to Valeryian steel, the white walkers are now heavily armored.

- The white walkers have attained archery skills and/or have trained a company of undead archers.

- The white walkers actually use their undead horses not just as a bony barstool but in an organized cavalry attack.

- The white walkers do something, anything, that might add to the entertainment value of their final appearance in this series of which they have been a part of since Episode 1.

All unnecessary.  The zombies were beating that northern ass.  There's like 800 guys left.

1 hour ago, smuggs said:

The white walkers do something, anything, that might add to the entertainment value of their final appearance in this series of which they have been a part of since Episode 1.

Precedent has already been set

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Lol.  Could apply this to many big "hits" these days.  Lost.  Walking Dead.  Etc.  

Better Call Saul, The Office, Community, even Parks and Rec fell off in season 7. That's why Breaking Bad is my all time favorite- the show somehow avoided the seemingly inevitable and  noticeable dip in writing/storytelling in an effort to wrap everything up.

42 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Better Call Saul, The Office, Community, even Parks and Rec fell off in season 7. That's why Breaking Bad is my all time favorite- the show somehow avoided the seemingly inevitable and  noticeable dip in writing/storytelling in an effort to wrap everything up.

Breaking bad only had like 60 episodes, they knew the entire story before they started, and had commitment from the network. 

Most series don’t have an ending until they need one, and when they need it they need it immediately. 

59 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Better Call Saul has only had 4 seasons. Haven't even gotten to season 7 yet, my dude. 

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Breaking bad only had like 60 episodes, they knew the entire story before they started, and had commitment from the network. 

Most series don’t have an ending until they need one, and when they need it they need it immediately. 

i don't know as much about the series as some here do, but i know that they didn't know the story from the start because Tuco was originally supposed to Walt's big nemesis but they had to scrap that when the actor who plays him took a different gig. I also know that they didn't plan on having Jesse be a long term character, and we all know that didn't go as planned either. 

Breaking bad is really overrated, but it did know when to wrap it up.

Lost is actually a pretty good analogy to got. They always knew the ending, but not how to get there and the last 2 seasons were 2 longer than the writers wanted so they had this predicament where they knew where they were going to end up but had to write two seasons of filler that they didn't really want. The network wanted 10 seasons because they don't care about the story. Got has had a similar problem for 6 and 7(and probably 8), where they just can't figure out how to get to where they want. This produces some headscratching in the middle, but they've executed the endings very well and the season looks better after you get all the story. Jmho. 

In general, 3-4 seasons seems to be the sweet spot. 

Edited by seven

On 5/1/2019 at 7:28 AM, Loco said:

or maybe you have the brightness turned up to ridiculous levels on your TV.  I had my set calibrated and the brightness was set to 66.  Pushing it up to 100 helped but made everything else look like shit.

Maybe it's your TV, maybe it's the room, maybe it's your settings, maybe it's you....  but the groundswell of bitching is indicative of the veracity of the complaint.   

Mine looked fine. Lg oled 4k. Wasn’t turned up to 100%. all other scenes looked perfect. I had another tv. Vizo.  All night scenes looked dark and pixelated. and could hardly see. I bet it’s the tv. Shaggy 1% maybe? 🤔

31 minutes ago, seven said:

Breaking bad is really overrated, but it did know when to wrap it up.

Lost is actually a pretty good analogy to got. They always knew the ending, but not how to get there and the last 2 seasons were 2 longer than the writers wanted so they had this predicament where they knew where they were going to end up but had to write two seasons of filler that they didn't really want. The network wanted 10 seasons because they don't care about the story. Got has had a similar problem for 6 and 7(and probably 8), where they just can't figure out how to get to where they want. This produces some headscratching in the middle, but they've executed the endings very well and the season looks better after you get all the story. Jmho. 

In general, 3-4 seasons seems to be the sweet spot. 

Breaking Bad has the exact same ending as Cheers.  Walter and Sam both alone with their one true love.  

My favorite part of every Surly thread is when Derka posts a long, somewhat unpopular opinion, then the utterly predictable full page of people telling him to shut up and predicting a Derka-ing. Then, to everyone's immense satisfaction, he does respond and they get to snarl and rage for another 2 pages about the thread getting Derka'd and making it all about himself.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

I never watched the latest season of BCS and have no interest.  Is it worth the watch?

1 hour ago, Eternal Noob said:

My favorite part of every Surly thread is when Derka posts a long, somewhat unpopular opinion, then the utterly predictable full page of people telling him to shut up and predicting a Derka-ing. Then, to everyone's immense satisfaction, he does respond and they get to snarl and rage for another 2 pages about the thread getting Derka'd and making it all about himself.

It really is fascinating.

It's never Derka who Derka's a thread.  It's the anti-Derkas who won't shut the fuck up about one guy they dislike.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Eternal Noob said:

7 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

jkzebn4jdqv21.png

Haha these two posts are fucking perfect 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I threw in the towel on BCS midway through season 2. Terrible show

i just tried to restart Breaking Bad because I watched about an episode and a half in mid season 1 when it debuted.

Wanted to like it.  Love Bryan Cranston's acting.

Bored as living fuck through S1:E2.  Waving the white flag.

Bran's storyline is like that... but there's so much other meat on the sammich that is GoT.

Edited by slorch

20 hours ago, elguapo said:

Either Jamie or Tyrion are killing Cersei, my $ is on Jamie.

I don't understand why they brought this pregnancy into the story. Do we know for certain who the father is? I also think Jaime is odds on favorite to kill Cersei,  but for PC purposes,  nobody can kill her while she's pregnant, unless they move the story forward and she has the kid - or a miscarriage. Maybe they're setting up a sequel series.

Jaime will be given a choice. Cersei thinks he is in her corner, and she'll "have the drop" on one of the other characters - maybe Jon. That's when Jaime will have a come to Jesus moment and stab her in the back or something like that.

7 minutes ago, slorch said:

i just tried to restart Breaking Bad because I watched about an episode and a half in mid season 1 when it debuted.

Wanted to like it.  Love Bryan Cranston's acting.

Bored as living fuck through S1:E2.  Waving the white flag.

Bran's storyline is like that... but there's so much other meat on the sammich that is GoT.

You really, really need to give BB more time. I strenuously insist. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

I don't understand why they brought this pregnancy into the story. Do we know for certain who the father is? I also think Jaime is odds on favorite to kill Cersei,  but for PC purposes,  nobody can kill her while she's pregnant, unless they move the story forward and she has the kid - or a miscarriage. Maybe they're setting up a sequel series.

Jaime will be given a choice. Cersei thinks he is in her corner, and she'll "have the drop" on one of the other characters - maybe Jon. That's when Jaime will have a come to Jesus moment and stab her in the back or something like that.

Uh, they have literally stabbed a pregnant woman's womb repeatedly on this show, not to mention other instances of straight up baby killing. 

• Like 3

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread