2024 Texas Football Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

26 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

No, the assistant line coach is not the one responsible for coaching the line. He’s not in charge. It’s like the analyst position. Helping out? Yes. Responsible for scheme and scouting? No. 

If that's what you meant, you should have said "He's never been the Head DL Coach at a level above WKU". 

But that's not what you said. You said he's never coached DL above the level of WKU, which is objectively just fucking wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TexasRenegade said:

1. If it was Baker or Giles we should all be celebrating the Baker hire!!!

2. I must applaud your ability to keep that under wraps and not go Satya on this board the moment you heard Giles was a finalist. Sincerely, am well aware of the regard in which you hold him.

1 hour ago, NoName said:

was Gerry the one who was very clear nothing was on paper/done/locked in? i thought Bobby said that multiple times over the last week

I don't listen to the podcasts or streams very often, but I do know that in every other vein in which Wright was being mentioned, both Burton and Hamilton were hedging with caveats around the deal not being done. 

Ketchum? He's too stupid to be cautious and too out of the loop to know whether something is or isn't real. Accordingly, he's just always going to be reviewing other peoples' points of view and deciding which ones sound the most likely to occur. Then he just attaches his worthless name to it and lets it fly into the social media ether. At that point, he relaxes, smiles in a self-satisfied manner to himself that the day's work is done, rings the bell and his intern brings him another bucket of Fuddrucker's cheese sauce and a radio flyer red wagon full of fries and wedges.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't listen to the podcasts or streams very often, but I do know that in every other vein in which Wright was being mentioned, both Burton and Hamilton were hedging with caveats around the deal not being done. 

Ketchum? He's too stupid to be cautious and too out of the loop to know whether something is or isn't real. Accordingly, he's just always going to be reviewing other peoples' points of view and deciding which ones sound the most likely to occur. Then he just attaches his worthless name to it and lets it fly into the social media ether. At that point, he relaxes, smiles in a self-satisfied manner to himself that the day's work is done, rings the bell and his intern brings him another bucket of Fuddrucker's cheese sauce and a radio flyer red wagon full of fries and wedges.

Can I get the number of his wagon guy?

Just now, sith_horn said:

Bo Davis worked under Saban for 5+ seasons in various capacities, proving himself along the way, before he was offered a role as an actual position coach. If Baker had been hired by Sarkisian 3 years ago in a junior capacity, drawn rave reviews by the staff and players, and been promoted to a DL coach role, this whole board would be on board with it outside of one of the village idiots. 

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

So where and which spot DO we waste our anxieties? I need to know. I’m putting my schedule together for next week. 

My worries, in order:

1 - Sark's pre-game outfits for 2024 season (what will recruits think? are they SEC-ready? did Shilo and Shedeur model them first?)
2 - The Station status pre-T+1 (or whenever): lit or nah?
3 - NFL draft landing spots for Longhorn players vis-a-vis jersey colors and my eye color
4 - Nike shoes for fan release (supportive enough for my pronation issues? will young people do that "what are those?" thing at me?)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

Nothing to talk about, Ketch is literally wrong 100% of the time. I honestly can't remember the last time he correctly predicted something before it happened. 

Erroneous.  In the summer of 2005, he repeatedly maintained that Billy Pittman was going to have a massive year.

Been a bit of a dry spell since then.

4 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Erroneous.  In the summer of 2005, he repeatedly maintained that Billy Pittman was going to have a massive year.

Been a bit of a dry spell since then.

I do not remember Billy Pittman having a massive year.

33 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Bo Davis worked under Saban for 5+ seasons in various capacities, proving himself along the way, before he was offered a role as an actual position coach. If Baker had been hired by Sarkisian 3 years ago in a junior capacity, drawn rave reviews by the staff and players, and been promoted to a DL coach role, this whole board would be on board with it outside of one of the village idiots. 

Yes, it's not an exact comparison, but each had 1 yr as an assistant DL coach in the NFL, then a P5 DL coach job. And apparently both learned from Pete Jenkins to some varying degree. The difference is, Kenny Baker coached DL for 7 years split between Mercer (4 years), Chattanooga (1 year) and WKU (2 years) prior to his NFL assistant coaching stint. I'm mildly encouraged by that, but only time will tell.

COACHING CAREER
2010-12: Lakeside HS (Defensive Coordinator)
2013: Berry College (Co-Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers)
2014-18: Mercer (Defensive Line)
2019: Chattanooga (Defensive Line)
2020: WKU (Defensive Ends)
2021-2022: WKU (Defensive Line)

2023: Miami Dolphins (Assistant DL Coach)

Edited by sith_horn
  • Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I do not remember Billy Pittman having a massive year.

It was pretty good.  750 yards on a running team and led conference (and perhaps country) in yards per catch.  He had a massive first half of year until he hurt his ankle against Texas Tech.

Had 130 yards in opener against Ohio State (at night in the shoe).  548 yards and 5 TDs in first five games.  Then he got hurt and did little rest of season.

Edited by Frank Drebin
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Frank Drebin said:

It was pretty good.  750 yards on a running team and led conference (and perhaps country) in yards per catch.

Yeah I looked it up. Better than I would have guessed. I will quibble no further (although "massive" would be more like Duvernay's senior year IMO).

1 hour ago, Vito Andolini said:

You’re right, Bobby was always “wait and see” on Rod Wright. 

Yeah, I guess I'm thinking of his slip of the tongue on the podcast when he said, "when Rod Wright is hired", but he did correct himself with "if".

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I'd like to offer something for everyone to consider regarding this hire.

If the guy is charismatic and not a buffoon, he's going to have a high likelihood of being able to land whoever he wants to land on the DL front. 

Why?

A) Banks and Sarkisian get involved with the high level recruitments. I want to say Choice does as well, in some instances. It's not like they're going to make the poor bastard go it alone.

B) NIL is very likely to be as competitive for Texas on the DL front as it is for any other school or position. 

So, will recruiting be a slam dunk at DL? Probably not. Is it wholly dependent upon the person in role? Absolutely not. Texas will mostly get theirs, though.

There are two other areas that should be drawing everyone's attention. They're also where this guy will be made or broken.

1) In the near term, is the guy a developer of talent? I am not saying he is or he isn't. I don't know enough about the dude on that front. Don't act like you do either. This is the key area where Davis excelled and is an elite position coach.

2) In the longer term, is the guy an excellent evaluator of talent? I don't think we really know if Davis did a great job on this end yet. I think seeing what become of his recruits will remain a work in progress. There are plenty of bad ass DL players in college and the NFL that were low 4 stars and 3 stars. Some of that is development and some of that is evaluation. I assume, if Baker isn't just a total bust, he'll be here for the next 3+ recruiting cycles. Given how few DLs of high quality make it to the portal, and how competitive those recruitments are out of the portal, this aspect of the job is probably the single most important for Baker's success and Texas' playoff future. It's a pretty fucking risky area and I hope he's going to be able to kick ass on that front. 

So, tl;dr, anyone worried about recruiting with the new guy is wasting their anxieties in the wrong spots.

I watched about a minute of one of those interviews someone posted and Baker came across very well. Definitely seems charismatic.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Yeah I looked it up. Better than I would have guessed. I will quibble no further (although "massive" would be more like Duvernay's senior year IMO).

I was just kidding around and trying to remember the last time I remember Ketchum said anything that had any value.  We had little returning at receiver that year.  It was a worry.  To the point we moved Ramonce to WR.  Ketchum posted and I think said in a lunch bunch how good Billy Pittman was looking in practice and was tearing up our DBs in the summer.  It was a pretty bold prediction.  Then Pittman tears up Ohio State, OU, and Tech before getting hurt.  Ketchum had a source or was right about something that was not obvious.  I think that was the last time.

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

We aren't talking enough about how Ketch said Sunday that he expected the Rod Wright hire to be finalized in the next 24-48 hours. He whiffed again.

Ketch is a fat fuck, but no one was considering that Rod Wright was going to get a promotion with the Texans at that time. Without that promotion, Wright is likely coaching at Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

Ed Orgeron would have been a disaster at Texas, dude hasn't coached in 2 years and was last working as the CEO of a clothing company he is fucking checked out. You think Banks and the monkey are an embarrassment to the university imagine how many coeds this dude would be caught finger banging on lake travis.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Drool 1

9 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Ed Orgeron would have been a disaster at Texas, dude hasn't coached in 2 years and was last working as the CEO of a clothing company he is fucking checked out. You think Banks and the monkey are an embarrassment to the university imagine how many coeds this dude would be caught finger banging on lake travis.

We've only gotten 8 pages out of this hire. Coach O would already be like 20+ more pages.

How many pages is Baker really going to get us going forward? MAYBE like one or two for the whole season. O would be at least 5+ per week and probably a whole, active thread when said fingerbanging rumors surfaced. Photoshopping people into this clothing line.

It's like you don't even CARE about content.

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

This is a dumb fucking post.

First, who the fuck is "You" here? I don't consdier the monkey or jeff banks an embarassment to the univeristy, so speak for your fucking self. To paraphrase Don Draper, I don't think about them at all, other than Jeff Banks is a fucking special teams wizard and a hell of a fucking recruiter. If he's happy and they're not doing anything illegal, who gives a flying fuck?

Second, Orgeron by all accounts was a wildman, but was a faithful wildman during his first marriage of two fucking decades. He got divorced, had money, and went fucking apeshit for strange like pretty much every other motherfucker who's ever had a divorce in their lives that had money and got out of a marriage that spanned decades. Now he's about to be married again to a hot piece of older ass that's still likely well younger than him. I think he'll fucking be fine.

The motherfucker worked at USC for years and "fingerbanging coeds at the beach" wasnt a fucking thing then for a reason. That reason is it didn't happen and it was shit you just made up in your fucking head. 

As for being checked out, maybe. But the guy has said he's missed coaching and I've known more than a handful of guys in my life that have retired, gotten bored, decided they missed their jobs and un-retired. That's guys I know. Now, how many times have we heard and seen that shit from proffessional athletes and coaches? More than I can fucking count.  

• Hook 'Em 8

14 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Not so fast - Texas could purchase half of the Miami Dolphin defensive line if Ed Orgeron started a sniff my finger fundraiser at a Surly tailgate.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

He's working at Ed Hardy isn't he?  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is a dumb fucking post.

First, who the fuck is "You" here? I don't consdier the monkey or jeff banks an embarassment to the univeristy, so speak for your fucking self. To paraphrase Don Draper, I don't think about them at all, other than Jeff Banks is a fucking special teams wizard and a hell of a fucking recruiter. If he's happy and they're not doing anything illegal, who gives a flying fuck?

Second, Orgeron by all accounts was a wildman, but was a faithful wildman during his first marriage of two fucking decades. He got divorced, had money, and went fucking apeshit for strange like pretty much every other motherfucker who's ever had a divorce in their lives that had money and got out of a marriage that spanned decades. Now he's about to be married again to a hot piece of older ass that's still likely well younger than him. I think he'll fucking be fine.

The motherfucker worked at USC for years and "fingerbanging coeds at the beach" wasnt a fucking thing then for a reason. That reason is it didn't happen and it was shit you just made up in your fucking head. 

As for being checked out, maybe. But the guy has said he's missed coaching and I've known more than a handful of guys in my life that have retired, gotten bored, decided they missed their jobs and un-retired. That's guys I know. Now, how many times have we heard and seen that shit from proffessional athletes and coaches? More than I can fucking count.  

The monkey has been pretty quiet since it bit that kid, but then again winning seems to silence all sorts of stories. I don't remember hearing any finger banging stories about Urban Meyer until he went to Jacksonville. Maybe Ed has gotten his life together since LSU but there were multiple reports of him bringing girls to practice where they would get involved with the drills even and then he hit on some pregnant woman at a gas station that just happened to be the wife of a board member. Maybe it was some sort of late life crisis and he was a find upstanding citizen or maybe it just never got out before. Much like Sark I think if he does get back into coaching it would have to be as an analyst to prove himself and clean up his image.

18e9aeee-f5cf-43e4-8db5-6c6b0fd5f9a5_tex

So what's the takeaway here about Kenny Baker? He doesn't have much experience, especially with recruiting at a high level. But it seems like he's done well at his prior coaching stops. I greatly appreciate @sith_horn's post about Baker's connection with Pete Jenkins - that's actually an important piece of information. Did Jenkins recommend Baker to Sark? I assume, based on Sark's relationship to Saban and Saban's relationship with Jenkins, that an endorsement from Jenkins would mean a lot. At least about Baker's ability to develop talent. But @closetojumping makes an excellent point about evaluating high school talent - if Baker can't evaluate high school talent, the DL room will suffer. We may pull blue chips due to NIL and the staff's recruiting chops as a whole, but if those guys are busts it won't mean shit in the fall. I'm not sure Baker has any experience evaluating and recruiting high level talent. None that I can see anyway. 

So it's not an obviously bad hire, but not an obviously good one. But isn't that, in and of itself, disappointing? Why are we gambling on an unknown when we have the resources and position to pull in an "obviously good" hire? Sure, it may work out really well, but why take the chance? @SimkinsMan made a great point a few pages ago - the fact that we obviously could have gotten someone more accomplished, but went with Baker instead, is actually an endorsement of Baker. That's a compelling point. But I can't shake the feeling that the whole thing is weird, and somewhat rushed in light of how much Rod Wright was being discussed. If Baker was such a strong candidate, why wasn't he mentioned sooner? 

There's certainly some justification for optimism, although not as much as I would like. I wish we had more insight into the process. I want someone from inside the program to explain why they hired this guy. I'm willing to take their explanations at face value (within reason). But until we get that, I'm siding with the people who are skeptical of the hire. It really seems like we could have picked up someone with more accomplishments and a proven track record, and our failure to do so seems like poor judgment. Even if Baker is a "hidden gem," there's no reason to take the risk on an unproven commodity. 

At any rate, I've enjoyed all the discussion this has sparked. I'm not sure why people are complaining about the discussion surrounding the hire. The fuck are you here for if not to see people flip their shit? 

f688fe94-779a-47ac-9aac-c3a92410c112_tex

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

The monkey has been pretty quiet since it bit that kid, but then again winning seems to silence all sorts of stories. I don't remember hearing any finger banging stories about Urban Meyer until he went to Jacksonville. Maybe Ed has gotten his life together since LSU but there were multiple reports of him bringing girls to practice where they would get involved with the drills even and then he hit on some pregnant woman at a gas station that just happened to be the wife of a board member. Maybe it was some sort of late life crisis and he was a find upstanding citizen or maybe it just never got out before. Much like Sark I think if he does get back into coaching it would have to be as an analyst to prove himself and clean up his image.

You mean the kid that went into their back yard uninvited? I guess that makes every coach that owns a dog a fucking embarassment. There's a reason that story never went anywhere, or the lawsuit. And as a reminder, that story was in 2021. Was Texas "winning" in 2021? 

So you're equating Urban Meyer, a married man who was caught cheating on his wife at a bar, to Ed O being single and getting laid, and then being remarried but he's PROBABLY GOING TO CONTINUE TO BE UNFAIGHTUFL BECASE REASONS. Yeah, that checks out.

I read all that shit about Orgeron. Guess what, guys typically do dumb shit involving pussy during and after a divorce. Does that mean they do dumb shit the rest of their lives? What's wrong with his image, exactly? Single man got fired for being bad coach and chasing pussy. Well, gosh, I guess we better not hire Ed Orgeron to be our head fucking football coach. Meanwhile, he'd have been a DT coach at Texas, which doesn't seem like the same thing. But we're all real glad your weird morality compass involving single men fucking women consensually requires him to rehab his image. Then again, you're apparently embarrassed Jeff Banks is married to a stripper, so I guess it's not all that surprising. 

If this relatively unknown dude can sell himself to Sark and CDC then he should be able to sell himself to recruits and their parents…. Kinda like how Franklin wants his assistants to have hot girlfriends because they have confidence and can sell themselves well.

4 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

If this relatively unknown dude can sell himself to Sark and CDC then he should be able to sell himself to recruits and their parents…. Kinda like how Franklin wants his assistants to have hot girlfriends because they have confidence and can sell themselves well.

EX73oUqXsAAHv9p.jpg

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You mean the kid that went into their back yard uninvited? I guess that makes every coach that owns a dog a fucking embarassment. There's a reason that story never went anywhere, or the lawsuit. And as a reminder, that story was in 2021. Was Texas "winning" in 2021? 

So you're equating Urban Meyer, a married man who was caught cheating on his wife at a bar, to Ed O being single and getting laid, and then being remarried but he's PROBABLY GOING TO CONTINUE TO BE UNFAIGHTUFL BECASE REASONS. Yeah, that checks out.

I read all that shit about Orgeron. Guess what, guys typically do dumb shit involving pussy during and after a divorce. Does that mean they do dumb shit the rest of their lives? What's wrong with his image, exactly? Single man got fired for being bad coach and chasing pussy. Well, gosh, I guess we better not hire Ed Orgeron to be our head fucking football coach. Meanwhile, he'd have been a DT coach at Texas, which doesn't seem like the same thing. But we're all real glad your weird morality compass involving single men fucking women consensually requires him to rehab his image. Then again, you're apparently embarrassed Jeff Banks is married to a stripper, so I guess it's not all that surprising. 

For the record I have no problem with Banks or his wife but lets not forget that keeping wildlife, um... a primate, for... um, ya know domestic... within the city... that ain't legal either.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

For the record I have no problem with Banks or his wife but lets not forget that keeping wildlife, um... a primate, for... um, ya know domestic... within the city... that ain't legal either.

Is this a bad joke or movie reference I’m missing, or are you just suggesting it’s illegal to own a monkey a Texas? I’ll assume the former, as opposed to some implication they fuck the monkey. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Is this a bad joke or movie reference I’m missing, or are you a just suggesting it’s illegal to own a monkey a Texas? I’ll assume the former, as opposed to some implication they fuck the monkey. 

Are you serious Clark?  

He was paraphrasing Walter in Big Lebowski 

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Is this a bad joke or movie reference I’m missing, or are you just suggesting it’s illegal to own a monkey a Texas? I’ll assume the former, as opposed to some implication they fuck the monkey. 

Unimpressed The Big Lebowski GIF by Working Title

and yes I looked it up, it is legal to keep a capuchin monkey in Texas but my jokes are lazier than my takes

Edited by Michael Knight