2024 Texas Football Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

8 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

What I don’t get is how Glasscock gets a GM job elsewhere but the guy who replaces him as GM probably doesn’t have as strong overall skills. I get that Harris is important for a lot of recruiting, but the GM job is so much more. Why not just make Glasscock the GM?

I felt we had everyone sitting in the right seat and now everybody is in a different role not suited for their skillset. 

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

What I don’t get is how Glasscock gets a GM job elsewhere but the guy who replaces him as GM probably doesn’t have as strong overall skills. I get that Harris is important for a lot of recruiting, but the GM job is so much more. Why not just make Glasscock the GM?

Maybe he got drunk and tried to jump out of an airplane at cruising altitude?

4 hours ago, Hornmatic said:

I felt we had everyone sitting in the right seat and now everybody is in a different role not suited for their skillset. 

Unless you directly knew someone on the staff why would you say that? Because we made the playoffs? I'm not even an ardent defender of any of them but I'm pretty confident you don't know any of them or how they work.Having parasocial relationships with the front office of a football team is pretty weird lmao

• Hook 'Em 8

On 2/3/2024 at 3:52 PM, msucolt45 said:

Roster “management” happened as far back to the ‘60s and DKR that I can speak of. My Dad was a “valuable” practice player for four years and was glad to be on a partial scholarship throughout his time on the 40. He didn’t “letter” until his Senior year (Fall of 63).

Hook’em!!!

"They raise cattle and football players in Texas. The cattle are treated better."

image.thumb.png.84d8702b7706a708ab54fe18571e4964.png 

• Like 1

I have no idea what these people’s skillsets are, what their jobs actually require, or really what they even do. Thus I don’t know if these changes are terrible or terrific. But if I had to guess, it is probably somewhere in between. Thats my hot take for the day.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I have no idea what these people’s skillsets are, what their jobs actually require, or really what they even do. Thus I don’t know if these changes are terrible or terrific. But if I had to guess, it is probably somewhere in between. Thats my hot take for the day.

This seems like the right take for most of us who don't have some connection to the inner workings of things. The only thing that stands out to me is that unless you're in an organization known for having a deep bench and a history of successful internal transitions, this feels like a comfort move. It's also inconsistent with Sark's other moves when backfilling roles.

Could all four people have been ready to level up and perform in more prominent roles? Maybe so. But the odds are not all are prepared for a jump. Time will tell, but football recruiting at Texas is not a learn-on-the-job role.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Rio Don said:

This seems like the right take for most of us who don't have some connection to the inner workings of things. The only thing that stands out to me is that unless you're in an organization known for having a deep bench and a history of successful internal transitions, this feels like a comfort move. It's also inconsistent with Sark's other moves when backfilling roles.

Could all four people have been ready to level up and perform in more prominent roles? Maybe so. But the odds are not all are prepared for a jump. Time will tell, but football recruiting at Texas is not a learn-on-the-job role.

This is my concern as well. I'm not sure Harris, or any of them, really, are ready for the step up. Are Searels and Harris the most experienced? That seems less than ideal unless they're total prodigies and I haven't heard anything like that about either of them. I'm even more bearish on John Michael Jones. I don't quite know what to make of Kyndal Perry but the recruits seem to like her, I guess? 

I do like the Huppert hire from Oregon State. The Beavers seem like they're at leasy usually pretty good and to be consistently pretty good at Oregon State, you'd damn well better be fucking AWESOME at 1) getting good stuff from your analysts to take advantage of the other team's weak spots, 2) finding diamonds in the rough (like Silas Bolden, for example), and 3) developing your guys. Not sure how much, if any, Huppert will help with number 2 but I do know he was Director of Player development under Chris Petersen in 2020 which I like a LOT.

Huppert also has experience as a DL coach, which I definitely like. Unfortunately, that experience came under Dan Hawkins, which I definitely do not like. 

Anyway, hopefully, we're not done and steal a couple guys from Bama and Michigan. 

Edited by campcrunk
  • Hook 'Em 3

13 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Wonder if Sark creates another position and adds someone to help with player evaluation  since that was one of Glasscock's strengths?

Old quote...

I sincerely hope so. I definitely do not trust Harris and Jones to do the same caliber job as Glasscock...

The titles sound impressive, but basically these people just coordinate visits and make sure the coaches contact the kids often and have the talking points, right?  There is a whole other team doing player evaluations and roster management, right?

Right???

33 minutes ago, Yesh said:

The titles sound impressive, but basically these people just coordinate visits and make sure the coaches contact the kids often and have the talking points, right?  There is a whole other team doing player evaluations and roster management, right?

Right???

Yes- this is correct. Admin type role for the ladies in recruiting department - not analyst role. 

Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian invests a lot of his own time and puts a lot on his on-field assistant coaches to stay on top targets and get it to the finish line, challenging them daily on the recruiting trail to be the best they can be. The off-field standout in Austin is Brandon Harris who Sarkisian just promoted to his General Manager position. Harris does a great job keeping in contact with prospects, particularly when coaches can’t, whether that’s because they’re on the practice field or getting ready for a game. He develops great relationships early with kid, getting on them as underclassmen and it sets the tone for the Longhorns to sign top-notch recruiting classes like they did again in 2024 (finishing No. 6).

“I call him the president,” Ryan Wingo’s father Ronnie said. “That’s my dude. He’s got to me passion for his job and does a good job. He’s always just 100 about everything. He does a good job of selling Sark’s vision of what the players can do to help their program.

“He’s the president.”

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Yesh said:

Right???

IMG_8934.gif

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Teryor said:

https://sicem365.com/s/16792/baylor-to-add-gary-patterson-as-senior-level-strategic-consultant?utm_source=f5-newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=001536&utm_content=300

Would have liked him back, but honestly Gary Patterson's quest to piss off as many people from TCU as he can genuinely rules

• Haha 8

"The hire of Patterson is key for Aranda who is set to work alongside defensive coordinator Matt Powledge and become the defensive play caller for Baylor in the 2024 season, while also coaching the interior linebackers."

Such terrible writing that I am not sure exactly what it means.  I think it means that Aranda was doing such a great job as head coach that they decided to dump a lot more on his plate.  And then they hired Patterson so they could make him HC when they get enough money to fire Aranda.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Teryor said:

https://sicem365.com/s/16792/baylor-to-add-gary-patterson-as-senior-level-strategic-consultant?utm_source=f5-newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=001536&utm_content=300

Would have liked him back, but honestly Gary Patterson's quest to piss off as many people from TCU as he can genuinely rules

TCU should have thought about that before hiring a Briles. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, South Austin said:

Giles has got friends in every town and village from here to Dalhart, he speaks a dozen languages, knows every local custom, he'll blend in, disappear, you'll never see him again. With any luck, he's got the next two-star defensive lineman already.

Oscar's favorite spot in the panhandle...

de659418d8c7ea162bb85f6607430227.thumb.jpg.43dd796ddddd69c3b61f7eea4a0bf0ef.jpg

OIP(1).jpeg.1454c29e782e8fa522d6ee12c42ac256.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

20 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Oscar's favorite spot in the panhandle...

de659418d8c7ea162bb85f6607430227.thumb.jpg.43dd796ddddd69c3b61f7eea4a0bf0ef.jpg

OIP(1).jpeg.1454c29e782e8fa522d6ee12c42ac256.jpeg

I cannot remember if it has beans or not, but the Chili there goes hard in the paint. Burgers and breakfast are on point as well.  It is a yearly stop on our way up to Creede.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/8/2024 at 4:32 AM, South Austin said:

Giles has got friends in every town and village from here to Dalhart, he speaks a dozen languages, knows every local custom, he'll blend in, disappear, you'll never see him again. With any luck, he's got the next two-star defensive lineman already.

and then the scene cuts to Fritz walking into Giles' office to find him asleep and snoring with his feet up on his desk and a bag of chips spilled all over himself 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Believe that will Jean-Mary’s second stint at Michigan.

I never had a problem with him at Texas. Seemed like a good coach and recruiter.

He was one of the better recruiters on Strong's staff, but I can't really say he developed our LBs. There is no acceptable reason Malik Jefferson should not have been a first round guy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Vertigo said:

He was one of the better recruiters on Strong's staff, but I can't really say he developed our LBs. There is no acceptable reason Malik Jefferson should not have been a first round guy. 

Well other than not being good at football.  He didn't do anything in the NFL either.  He was really good at combine drills though.