Formula 1 2024

Anton Chigurh

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Am I the only one that wishes they would make the car number more visible?

Of all the Americanization of F1 that could have been done, moving more towards NASCAR numbers was somehow never considered.  I want bigger numbers, contrasting colors, numbers on the halo so we can tell immediately who's car we're riding along in...hell, if I were King of F1, I'd make each team run out 2 liveries so we can identify drivers instantly.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Alonso has to be pissed that he is the only legitimate driver on that team. They could really make some noise with a competitive #2 driver.

How much do any of the drivers really care about the constructor's championship? Objective 1 is winning the race. Objective 2 is beating your teammate. So he's probably just fine with the situation.

1 hour ago, Mittens said:

Of all the Americanization of F1 that could have been done, moving more towards NASCAR numbers was somehow never considered.  I want bigger numbers, contrasting colors, numbers on the halo so we can tell immediately who's car we're riding along in...hell, if I were King of F1, I'd make each team run out 2 liveries so we can identify drivers instantly.

One thing I like about IndyCar is most of the cars put the drivers name along the top rim of the halo, and on the top of the steering wheel, so when they are on an onboard camera shot you know immediately who it is. Indy does a good job with that part of it, which is needed because they change up sponsors and livery throughout the year. A driver will have a totally different color scheme for just one race, etc.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

How much do any of the drivers really care about the constructor's championship? Objective 1 is winning the race. Objective 2 is beating your teammate. So he's probably just fine with the situation.

I'd care.

I will disagree with you that they don't care. There is a $1,000,000,000 pot for constructors.

It is not Jimbo Fisher-type money, but it is real money which goes to pay the hundreds of employees who work behind the scenes.

The earnings for 2023, per place in the F1 constructors’ championship, were estimated by Autosport based on an overall pot of $1 billion:

1st: $140,000,000 - Red Bull 

2nd: $131,000,000 - Mercedes 

3rd: $122,000,000 - Ferrari 

4th: $113,000,000 - McLaren

5th: $104,000,000 - Aston Martin

6th: $95,000,000 - Alpine

7th: $87,000,000 - Williams

8th: $78,000,000 - AlphaTauri

9th: $69,000,000 - Alfa Romeo

10th: $60,000,000 - Haas

• Hook 'Em 4

8 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I mean this is just an unbelievably ridiculous take that shows people don’t understand it’s mostly the car. If you put Max in any other car and sub in any top driver (Alonso, Leclerc, Norris, Hamilton, Russell), Max would have no chance at the title. That RB is about 4-5 tenths faster than the field. No driver can make up that kind of time over another top driver. The margins between top drivers are extremely small. 

And the AM has terrible race pace. Checo would smoke Max in an AM in the race. 

Yep, and we used to hear this kind of thing about Lewis and Vettel too. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Here’s a cool video showing the aero gains RB made since last year. Their new design is a huge improvement.

Yep. I saw somewhere that this AM would win last year's Bahrain GP by 53 seconds, yet they're still 4th or 5th quickest this year on Sunday. The improvements by all of the top 5 teams over the offseason was amazing.

6 hours ago, elfenix said:

bearman a bit chippy i like it

Yeah, man. He's impressed both days.

6 hours ago, elfenix said:

kmag needs to go.

Yeah, like years ago.

6 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Merc is so slow. Russell can’t even get in Alonso’s DRS and Bearman is catching Russell. 

I really enjoyed watching Fernando toy with George all day, like when a cat sits next to the lizard he just caught, pretending to ignore it, making it think it has a chance to escape but having no intention of letting it get away.

Funniest quote was Russell saying if he had 2 more laps he would have been on the podium. 

LOL. Sure, George. 30 laps weren't enough, but 32 would've done the trick! Ya! Fersure! Youbetcha!

5 hours ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

I wonder how many seasons Fernando has left in him.  Cant be many.

He didn't say he intended to do it, but he said recently he thinks he could go close to 50 yo. He said his preseason physical testing results this year were as good as 10 years ago. I think he'll probably go beyond 50, just not all of it in F1.

Edited by wood

Posted (edited)

Haven't had a chance to look anything up yet. Was it ever explained why Norris got no penalty for an obvious jumped start?

Oh, and apparently RB botched RIC's pit stop, dropping him from 14th to last, and it was never even mentioned. 

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, wood said:

Haven't had a chance to look anything up yet. Was it ever explained why Norris got no penalty for an obvious jumped start?

Oh, and apparently RB botched RIC's pit stop, dropping him from 14th to last, and it was never even mentioned. 

I never saw a clear replay but it’s possible he didn’t go over the grid box line. I think Fernando got away with that in the last few seasons. 

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

I never saw a clear replay but it’s possible he didn’t go over the grid box line. I think Fernando got away with that in the last few seasons. 

I just saw the ruling. They said that even though they could see that he moved early, the transponder didn't indicate a jumped start. Idiotic rule. So even though we can see that he jumped the start, our machinery that's less sensitive than our eyes says it didn't happen, so we're gonna go with what it tells us. It's happened before, too. So stupid. Don't remember Alonso getting away with it. He did get penalized in China 2010. I was thinking Bottas had gotten away with it on this basis though, and Vettel, and Lewis in Brazil last year.

Edited by wood
  • Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 hours ago, elfenix said:

he moved and then he stopped in the box which made his total time getting out of the box pretty slow.  kinda self-policed, like giving a position back after going off track, maybe

I'm not so sure he was still in the box. It looked like he was out of it to me, but I guess the transponder says he wasn't. It adversely affected his start. The problem is that whether he was out of the box, and whether he stopped or not, and whether or not he gained an advantage, he clearly moved before the lights were out which is a clear no-no according to the rulebook, because of how other drivers can react to the jumped start, etc. He moved before the lights went out and was moving when they went out. He didn't stop until after they went out.

Edited by wood

There are rules against what they can share aren’t there?  I thought it got discussed by the announcers at some point last week that Red Bull couldn’t make AT have a duplicate car if they wanted to.  I think it’s basically the engine like Mercedes and Ferrari sell to other teams.

Edited by kevwun

Someone please explain the appeal of this sport to me. I tried to get into it after watching the Netflix special, which was great. 

But I found the whole race watching experience as dull as watching paint dry. The same few guys win every time. There is little to no passing. Why is there so much appeal?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Someone please explain the appeal of this sport to me. I tried to get into it after watching the Netflix special, which was great. 

But I found the whole race watching experience as dull as watching paint dry. The same few guys win every time. There is little to no passing. Why is there so much appeal?

Why do you feel you’re owed an explanation? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

It's a little like golf.  We suffer through 3 boring races to watch one banger.

If you want to get into the sport, you have to accept that the interesting parts of most races are from places 2-12ish.  If the winner is your thing, there's no real reason to watch.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

He’s not faster than yuki though on a regular basis.

He's raced Yuki a grand total of 6 times, so not exactly a large sample size.  Never mind they're both driving tractors out there.  Last year he scored as many points in 4 races as Yuki scored all season, and he scored those points in 1 race.  I don't think Danny's on top form by any stretch, but I find it hard to crap on anyone's results driving for the bottom 5 teams - they're all shit cars.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Are these two tracks just boring from a strategy perspective or are the tires vanilla or... ? Nearly the entire field on the same strategy and even more so if not for one safety car. I feel like in years past there was more variety but maybe I'm misremembering. 

Also recall a ton more punctures when teams pushed their tires too far. Maybe what I'm saying is I wish Pirelli was.... worse?

12 minutes ago, Mittens said:

He's raced Yuki a grand total of 6 times, so not exactly a large sample size.  Never mind they're both driving tractors out there.  Last year he scored as many points in 4 races as Yuki scored all season, and he scored those points in 1 race.  I don't think Danny's on top form by any stretch, but I find it hard to crap on anyone's results driving for the bottom 5 teams - they're all shit cars.  

They raced 7 times last year - 2 times this year, so 9 times.     Also Yuki scored 17 points last year, Ric scored 7 (all at mexico).    Yuki also scored in 4 races when Ric was in the race when he didn't get a point.  

Yuki has consistently been better.     Ric is closer to losing his seat than he is taking Perez' spot.   Not that Yuki is getting the call up to the big team any time soon either.    I'm no Yuki fan, i think he is quick, but clearly has the emotional maturity of an eggplant.

• Like 1

5x last year, not 7 (or 4 - my bad for not counting the WD for some reason).  I was also off on the points - simply looking at the wrong driver.
image.png.62790da5b6379ec319fc111d5977df60.png

Yuki is consistently better?  Are they not 3-3 in races they've both finished?

• Hook 'Em 1

30 second pit stops make anyone look like they suck.

Indeed. He was stationary on that stop for 42 seconds, dropping him from P14 to last on the track. Huge hit to his race that he had no control over. With even a decent stop, he'd have left the pits ahead of Sargeant, Bottas, and Ocon, and very likely would have finished right behind Yuki at worst.

Yep and last year he was parachuted in mid-season, to a car he'd never driven in anger. Raced 2 races and then broke his hand and returned while rehabbing that. That crash wasn't his fault as he simply had nowhere to go when Piastri crashed in front of him.

I'm not saying he's back yet, but IMHO he's done a lot more to warrant a further look than some others out there have. 

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, dieucla98 said:

Are these two tracks just boring from a strategy perspective or are the tires vanilla or... ? Nearly the entire field on the same strategy and even more so if not for one safety car. I feel like in years past there was more variety but maybe I'm misremembering. 

Also recall a ton more punctures when teams pushed their tires too far. Maybe what I'm saying is I wish Pirelli was.... worse?

The tires are quite vanilla. There's no reason they can't mix things up by separating the compounds by more than just 1 step, varying the compound choices at each track from year to year etc. It's stupid and just adds predictability rather than variability, which is what they should be trying to add. Same thing with the engine reliability rules.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Mittens said:

What years were the tires exploding randomly?  2013? 2014?  That was pretty good.

It was more recent than that.  Verstappen had a huge lead in a race and one of his tires blew out of the main straight.  Another competitors tire blew up in the same race.  Unless there was another season with that issue.  I think the latest was 2019 ish.

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

It was more recent than that.  Verstappen had a huge lead in a race and one of his tires blew out of the main straight.  Another competitors tire blew up in the same race.  Unless there was another season with that issue.  I think the latest was 2019 ish.

He’s talking about the year you couldn’t drive on the curbs at Silverstone. I think it was 2015 or 16. 

Approximately 20 tyre failures were reported after eight rounds in 2013 and the Silverstone race led to Pirelli strengthening the construction of the tyre which had big consequences on how the rest of the season played out.
link

Formula One Has a Serious Exploding Tire Problem
British GP: Lewis Hamilton says Pirelli tyre failures dangerous
https://www.formulanerds.com/features/pirelli-and-silverstone-2013-an-explosive-situation/

Max's blowout was 2021. Such a great photo.

image.thumb.png.154b5a896dcc0fdd26170e0468a4e968.png

Yeah, Danny's pit stop was probably 30-40 seconds, not that the car had much pace anyway.

On 3/9/2024 at 6:11 PM, texas08 said:

Riccardio seems like he sucks 

i'm a Danny Ric fan, but ignoring a 41 second pit stop due to a jack failure and the team bringing out the wrong tires and getting ready to fit them to the wrong side of the car is fucking dumb. his total time off the track was over a minute.

https://imgur.com/a/coJKHjH

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1